PDA

View Full Version : Strange or Inconsistent things

Zergrusheddie
2009-11-22, 09:27 PM
Most of us know that a ladder is cheaper than a 10 foot pole. I'm sure that many people have wondered why a Candle of Invocation is 8,400 when it can replicate a spell that can create several items worth 25,000. A Player character can sell a Chain Shirt for 50 and the shopkeeper puts the same exact item on the market for 100. And I do believe it is possible to make Mount Everest out of quarter staffs in just 6 seconds.

What are some other strange things in the DnD system? I don't mean things like Pun-Pun or other Campaign Smashers that take things from several books to create a true monster; I mean things that suggest that the group that made a single book didn't take time to read what the other group members were putting in the book.

Best of luck.
-Eddie

ocdscale
2009-11-22, 09:30 PM
A Player character can sell a Chain Shirt for 50 and the shopkeeper puts the same exact item on the market for 100.

This makes sense (I mean, isn't that basically what Gamestop is?). Rest is pretty good.
How about the commoner railgun?

sofawall
2009-11-22, 09:41 PM
Commoner black hole.

Zovc
2009-11-22, 09:48 PM
This makes sense (I mean, isn't that basically what Gamestop is?). Rest is pretty good.
How about the commoner railgun?

GameStop is worse than that, most things seem to be traded in at 25% (or less) than what the store will sell them for. Sometimes they'll give you a deal on brand-spanking new titles.

CockroachTeaParty
2009-11-22, 09:50 PM
The Healer class from the Miniatures Handbook, which is required to have a Good alignment, can cast Deathwatch (an Evil spell) as a 0-level spell. Seems to be something nobody payed attention to.

ranagrande
2009-11-22, 09:54 PM
The Healer class from the Miniatures Handbook, which is required to have a Good alignment, can cast Deathwatch (an Evil spell) as a 0-level spell. Seems to be something nobody payed attention to.

I place the blame for this on the PHB, not the MHB. Deathwatch makes perfectly good sense for a Healer-type, and there's really no reason for it to be an Evil spell.

Forrestfire
2009-11-22, 09:56 PM
Ooh! How about the fact that a flask weighs 1.5 pounds while a flask filled with oil or any alchemical substance or potion weighs 1 pound.

I used that during a very silly (and purposefully RAW) undead-pocalypse campaign to crash holy water blimps into the undead hordes.

AslanCross
2009-11-22, 11:13 PM
Ooh! How about the fact that a flask weighs 1.5 pounds while a flask filled with oil or any alchemical substance or potion weighs 1 pound.

I used that during a very silly (and purposefully RAW) undead-pocalypse campaign to crash holy water blimps into the undead hordes.

How about how a potion weighs nothing at all? (granted they do explicitly describe a potion vial being rather small; from the description I imagined it to look like one of those film canisters)

CockroachTeaParty
2009-11-23, 12:14 AM
The reason behind potions being so small is that is says the volume of the liquid in a potion has no effect on the potency of the spell. A 'cursed' potion could be a gallon-jug of Cure Light Wounds that takes several rounds to consume... :smallbiggrin:

Zergrusheddie
2009-11-23, 12:50 AM
This makes sense (I mean, isn't that basically what Gamestop is?)
Yes, but every single person who wants to even try to go kill goblins should want armor or a sword. I mean, why is it so insane to think that I can find an adventurer to sell my my old armor for 90 gold?

Obviously it is to stop players from never losing money but it still "doesn't make sense."

Zergrusheddie
2009-11-23, 01:11 AM
Ohh, just remembered this one:

A Prince who spends ALL his life in the castle protected from everything (Aristocrat 1) has more HP than a Wizard 1 even though the Wizard is probably "hardier."

MCerberus
2009-11-23, 01:18 AM
The lives of every single level one commoner are dependent on the village cats being happy.

UglyPanda
2009-11-23, 01:22 AM
The "sell for half price" thing is because you're just going to sell the item on the street fast. If you set up a store, eventually someone will buy it at full price. Only a small percentage of the setting is adventurers and a smaller percentage of that would want to buy your equipment at the exact moment you're selling.

And the aristocrat thing isn't too unrealistic. Aristocrats rarely suffered from malnutrition or such and amused themselves with fencing lessons and the like. Besides, Aristocrat is an NPC class, NPCs have bad stat arrays. A wizard with 14 con beats out an aristocrat in HP.

Book Wyrm
2009-11-23, 01:23 AM
That "hardy" level 1 wizard can also easily be killed by a common housecat.

mikeejimbo
2009-11-23, 01:30 AM
The lives of every single level one commoner are dependent on the village cats being happy.

Well now, I'm not sure that's not true in real life.