PDA

View Full Version : Would you pay extra for the books in colour?

Jarin_G
2009-11-23, 02:46 AM
I know I would. Hell I payed 50$ for Harry freakin Potter I can definitively shell out for this. . . :smallamused:

Berserk Monk
2009-11-23, 02:47 AM
I know I would. Hell I payed 50$ for Harry freakin Potter I can definitively shell out for this. . . :smallamused:

Not for SoD. The black and white color scheme adds the theme of the book.

Jarin_G
2009-11-23, 02:55 AM
Well he draws them in black and white then fills in the colour right? Thats more effort from the auther, and then they would cost a lot more to print. . . Unlikely but I would pay the difference. :smallsigh:

Mystic Muse
2009-11-23, 02:57 AM
I payed 50$ for Harry freakin Potter

you my friend need a Library.

Maximum Zersk
2009-11-23, 03:25 AM
Badly. :smallamused:

Libraries are the best idea since sliced bread. It WOULD have been the best idea since Chuck Norris, but then he got mad and roundhouse kicked a loaf of bread.

I mean seriously! Free book that you can borrow? The guy who thought of it is AWESOME. :smalltongue:

Mystic Muse
2009-11-23, 03:44 AM
I mean seriously! Free book that you can borrow? The guy who thought of it is AWESOME. :smalltongue:

far as I know that would be Benjamin Franklin.

derfenrirwolv
2009-11-23, 03:48 AM
No. I don't know about ya'll but I don't read a stick figure comic for the art.

Jarin_G
2009-11-23, 03:57 AM
I bought it because I wanted to OWN it. . . :smallsigh:

I read for the story mostly but I have grown very, very fond of the unique artwork. . . :smalltongue:

jolus
2009-11-23, 05:00 AM
Definitely nay.

I mean, IIRC, at some point in SOD, they're making a joke out of this...

Morquard
2009-11-23, 05:25 AM
Hmm, is it only SOD thats in B/W or also the compilation books?

charl
2009-11-23, 05:29 AM
Well he draws them in black and white then fills in the colour right? Thats more effort from the auther, and then they would cost a lot more to print. . . Unlikely but I would pay the difference. :smallsigh:

Uh... What?

That's not how computer graphics work, man.

Yuki Akuma
2009-11-23, 05:33 AM
Start of Darkness? No. There are references to the black-and-white art and Rich would need to do a rewrite, which is just silly.

Origin of PCs? ... Maybe. Probably not. I already own it and I know what colour everyone is already, so what's the point?

factotum
2009-11-23, 07:42 AM
Hmm, is it only SOD thats in B/W or also the compilation books?

SoD and OtOoPCs are both black-and-white (with a small colour insert in the case of SoD). All the compilation books are full colour.

Optimystik
2009-11-23, 11:53 AM
No. I don't know about ya'll but I don't read a stick figure comic for the art.

Pretty much this.

Color doesn't add anything vital to the prequel books beyond settling a debate or two. (What dragon DID Lirian turn into anyway?)

Joerg
2009-11-23, 12:10 PM
I for one would pay extra for color in SoD. OK, two jokes would have to be replaced, but that's even better -- new jokes in the color book!

Whenever I see the colors in the one-panel-flashback here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0078.html), I wish that SoD would have been in color, too. Shades of gray just are not as good to transport all the messages. E.g., Xykon's magic is black, which is a real contrast to every other spellcaster if there is color, but you don't even really notice it if the others use gray magic. Or, another example, Greysky City has a very different background and ambiance from Azure City or Cliffport, which is emphasized by the color scheme.

Haven
2009-11-23, 12:47 PM
Start of Darkness? No. There are references to the black-and-white art and Rich would need to do a rewrite, which is just silly.

Not very many, though.

I think if I'd had the option between a color version and a black & white one, I would have preferred color, even if it was a little more expensive, but it's not that important.

NerfTW
2009-11-23, 01:32 PM
Hell no. Keep in mind that this wouldn't be "Oh, a few extra dollars". We'd be talking $10 or more extra per book. It would have priced the book right out of the "I think I'd like to know some backstory" range for most people, driving the cost up even further since the print run would be smaller.

Ancalagon
2009-11-23, 01:44 PM

I would have bought the coloured versions at a higher price. Now that I already have the black and white versions, I'd not buy them again.
But the art-style is very fitting for prequel-books (and Start of Darkness even plays with it in a very nice way).

kirbsys
2009-11-25, 11:55 AM
Hell no. Keep in mind that this wouldn't be "Oh, a few extra dollars". We'd be talking $10 or more extra per book. It would have priced the book right out of the "I think I'd like to know some backstory" range for most people, driving the cost up even further since the print run would be smaller.

I don't believe this is true, Rich states in the intro to On the Origin of the PCs that he paid the printer just as much to print it in black and white as it would have been to print in color, so other than the fact that he'd have to go over each panel and change the various shades of grey to color, I don't think there's any reason for the price to jump.

The Extinguisher
2009-11-25, 12:26 PM
I don't believe this is true, Rich states in the intro to On the Origin of the PCs that he paid the printer just as much to print it in black and white as it would have been to print in color, so other than the fact that he'd have to go over each panel and change the various shades of grey to color, I don't think there's any reason for the price to jump.

He also mentions in SoD that he was just joking when he said that.

Caleniel
2009-11-25, 12:55 PM

Uhm, that is a joke, right?

I've visited the ruins of a library in Ephesos, Turkey, that was more than two thousand years old. Heck, even in Copenhagen we had a pretty decent library before that Columbus bloke ever crossed the pond!

...but I don't think they had Harry Potter though...

the_tick_rules
2009-11-25, 12:57 PM
Yeah but this idea comes up every book.

Kish
2009-11-25, 01:00 PM
He also mentions in SoD that he was just joking when he said that.
And he was incredulous that anyone took him seriously. Yes, color printing costs more than black-and-white, no, Rich is not (ahem) rich enough not to care.

fangthane
2009-11-25, 01:10 PM

I've visited the ruins of a library in Ephesos, Turkey, that was more than two thousand years old. Heck, even in Copenhagen we had a pretty decent library before that Columbus bloke ever crossed the pond!

...but I don't think they had Harry Potter though...

Actually, while libraries have existed for ages and ages, the concept of lending libraries is significantly more recent and the concept of a public lending library more recent still. Franklin is generally associated with one of the first public lending libraries to be founded, so in the context of the quote it's not quite as far out there as you might have thought.

Really though, I agree with you in principle; the concept of the public lending library is more one of evolution than of invention, and Franklin's just one of the guys who came up with the notion of extending the service.

Edit - just to be topical, I'd mention that not only would I not pay (again) to get the books in colour, I happen to think that the black-and-white gives a nice feel to the background books. (and the SoD joke would die a horrible death in an all-colour book)

tmacdevitt
2009-11-25, 02:51 PM
I don't believe this is true, Rich states in the intro to On the Origin of the PCs that he paid the printer just as much to print it in black and white as it would have been to print in color,

I always thought that he was joking about that

Dark Faun
2009-11-25, 02:52 PM
Would you pay extra for the books in colour?
Depends. Does Rich get more money if I do? Then it's win-win. I get a colored book, he gets more money. :smalltongue:

derfenrirwolv
2009-11-25, 04:34 PM

Franklin came up/and or succefully got introduced the idea and mechanism for people taking the books HOME with them. Before that the books stayed there. (it probably helped that the books had gotten significantly cheaper in bens time...)

Katana_Geldar
2009-11-25, 04:44 PM
The only way to take a book home in those ancient libraries was to have a copy made, and I think this could happen at libraries.

Spiky
2009-11-25, 04:47 PM
I always thought that he was joking about that

A printing job like this is probably not itemized as to ink and paper. It is likely based somewhat on traditional costs where multiple colors might add up to a bit more, but not directly. So I would also doubt the cost would increase.

Katana_Geldar
2009-11-25, 04:49 PM
He says so in Start of Darkness and is amazed at people for taking him seriously.

Gamerlord
2009-11-25, 05:57 PM
Would you pay extra for the books in colour?

No,as that would be a complete waste of money, its just a webcomic.

Dagny
2009-11-26, 12:55 AM
It would depend on how MUCH extra, but within reason? Yeah. The black-and-white didn't exactly bother me, but I always prefer my comics colored in. The dialogue is what really matters, of course, but I like the extra vibrancy of color comics.

Mystic Muse
2009-11-26, 02:48 AM

Like others have said I meant the take the book home and read it there without buying the thing version. I know personal libraries and things like that have existed For quite a long time before Benjamin Franklin's time.

HealthKit
2009-11-26, 09:47 PM
I own the 2 prequels already, so I obviously wouldn't pay money to buy them again.
The b&w prequels are pretty pricey for what you're getting, but if a new book containing 100% new content came out I'd probably pay a little extra for the color.
When you think about it, the people who are going to purchase and read the book are already fans of the series and are probably willing to pay any price (within reason, of course) regardless. They know what they want and what they're getting into. I'm don't think money is the key issue.
That's why I think the whole logic behind having books in b&w for the sake of the reader is kind of flawed.

theinsulabot
2009-11-26, 10:16 PM
no, but i might actually pay for them if they would show up at the local borders. for some reason i find it morally objectionable to order stuff online

Theodoriph
2009-11-27, 11:17 AM
Actually, while libraries have existed for ages and ages, the concept of lending libraries is significantly more recent and the concept of a public lending library more recent still. Franklin is generally associated with one of the first public lending libraries to be founded, so in the context of the quote it's not quite as far out there as you might have thought.

Really though, I agree with you in principle; the concept of the public lending library is more one of evolution than of invention, and Franklin's just one of the guys who came up with the notion of extending the service.

Edit - just to be topical, I'd mention that not only would I not pay (again) to get the books in colour, I happen to think that the black-and-white gives a nice feel to the background books. (and the SoD joke would die a horrible death in an all-colour book)

That would be incorrect. The concept of lending libraries and public lending libraries is fairly ancient. The implementation is a recent one due largely to various technological and social advances (e.g. the printing press, rise of the middle class, the rise of literacy etc.).

Jigsaw Forte
2009-11-27, 10:24 PM
A printing job like this is probably not itemized as to ink and paper. It is likely based somewhat on traditional costs where multiple colors might add up to a bit more, but not directly. So I would also doubt the cost would increase.

Depending on where you go (and how they itemize it), it costs almost as much for the color printing as it does to have the paper it's printed on.

I debated the color/b&w balance for my own compilation (coming soon, honest!), and for the size of the book, it's only a few bucks difference between the two; if it was, say, half the price of printing in color, then I'd be swayed more, vs. the difference between paying $X and paying $X+3.

Callista
2009-11-27, 10:41 PM
I can't afford any of the books, so naturally I couldn't afford them in color, either. But no, I wouldn't pick color if B&W were available as a cheaper option. I'm in it for the story, not the artwork.

Come to think of it, that's probably the difference between people who would shell out for color and people who wouldn't--people who primarily like the artwork.

Fernando_
2009-11-28, 08:01 AM
Callista's got a point, you don't actually buy a stick figure comic for the artwork.

But sometimes black and white is a nice touch, even marvel comics come in black and white, and it sets the mood. If it was all color I think it'd be too shiny!

:smalltongue:

Spiky
2009-11-29, 09:24 PM
That would be incorrect. The concept of lending libraries and public lending libraries is fairly ancient. The implementation is a recent one due largely to various technological and social advances (e.g. the printing press, rise of the middle class, the rise of literacy etc.).

You've forgotten that nothing happened in the world until the USA was born. Never mind what the Greeks did 2500 years ago, that isn't a part of this world.

The Giant
2009-11-29, 11:03 PM
Not that this is in any way going to discourage anyone, but I won't ever convert the black-and-white books to color, for the following reasons:

1.) Cost of printing. Color printing costs about double or triple black-and-white, not because of ink cost but because of plates. The books aren't printed digitally, this is old-school offset printing, which is why they look so much better than anything you could print on a desktop printer. (And yes, the bit in the front of Origins about paying as much for greyscale as full color was a joke. The cost difference is enormous.)

2.) The number of people who would buy color now that the black-and-white versions have been available for two years (for SoD) and four years (for OtOoPCs) is very, very small. This is, in fact, the first time I have ever heard anyone request it. Certainly too small a group to justify the expense of a print run, much less—

3.) The work required for me to change the art from greyscale to color would be about half as much as it would be for me to make another new prequel. The time would be better spent moving forward with a new project than revisiting an old one.

So, it's a nice idea, but ultimately one that won't happen.

Oh, and no, I don't create the artwork in black and white then color it. It's created in whatever format you see it in, so it takes exactly as much time to make the b&w art as it does the color art.

derfenrirwolv
2009-11-29, 11:14 PM
You've forgotten that nothing happened in the world until the USA was born. Never mind what the Greeks did 2500 years ago, that isn't a part of this world.

Huh, weird, thats the second time thats come up this week for me.

Do you have the reference for the greeks using a LENDING library... one where people could take the books home? I would have thought it impractical given the cost of books at the time.

DarkElfGangsta
2009-11-30, 09:59 AM
No. they're coloured in the site, they should be colourerd in the book.

SaintRidley
2009-11-30, 10:24 AM
3.) The work required for me to change the art from greyscale to color would be about half as much as it would be for me to make another new prequel. The time would be better spent moving forward with a new project than revisiting an old one.

Just to get it out of the way -

[Out of Context]

New prequel announced! You heard it here first, folks!

[/Out of Context]

factotum
2009-11-30, 11:05 AM
No. they're coloured in the site, they should be colourerd in the book.

Eh? The question is about books that are currently in black and white (On the Origin of PCs and Start of Darkness) being reprinted in colour. What does the colour or otherwise of strips on the site have to do with it?

DarkElfGangsta
2009-11-30, 12:18 PM
books being reprinted don't have to be in colour if rich doesnt want them to bein colour for whatever reason. new ones however should be in colour. the new don't split the party shoud be in colour for example.

SaintRidley
2009-11-30, 01:20 PM
books being reprinted don't have to be in colour if rich doesnt want them to bein colour for whatever reason. new ones however should be in colour. the new don't split the party shoud be in colour for example.

No one ever said it wouldn't be.

Only the prequels are done in black and white.

Draz74
2009-11-30, 02:25 PM
Do you have the reference for the greeks using a LENDING library... one where people could take the books home? I would have thought it impractical given the cost of books at the time.

I'm sure every library was a lending library, as long as the librarian trusted the guy who wanted to do the borrowing. Like, if he was a large financial contributor to the library anyway. :smallwink:

But as far as I know, Ben Franklin was the first to organize a public lending library.

His contributions to the library system (and the fire department system, for that matter) were, as someone else said, more of a small improvement in a long gradual process than a giant revolutionary step. But still ... you can't deny that his "small improvements" coincide quite nicely with these organizations suddenly becoming quite ubiquitous. And that implies that he may actually deserve the credit he gets for them.

Joerg
2009-11-30, 02:38 PM

Ah, OK then (though I still would have liked it better if the prequels would have been colored).

I somehow assumed that you had the prequel comics in color on your computer and that they would then be transformed into grayscale for printing. So you really draw in all those shades of gray? Hmm ... somehow that makes me appreciate that black & white artwork more.

And now I'm seriously hoping for a new project :smallsmile:

ericgrau
2009-11-30, 05:14 PM
I already have the B&W's so I wouldn't buy them again in color just as Rich expected.

Optimystik
2009-11-30, 05:16 PM
Just to get it out of the way -

[Out of Context]

New prequel announced! You heard it here first, folks!

[/Out of Context]

Good catch! I've already started my stopwatch.

ETA Rich?

Spiky
2009-11-30, 08:51 PM
I would have thought it impractical given the cost of books at the time.

Huh, weird. Didn't realize they had books at the time. What they had was individuals employed as copyists.

I'm sure Wikipedia must have something on libraries before Ben made his.
(that was a joke)

Caleniel
2009-12-01, 02:14 PM
I'm sure every library was a lending library, as long as the librarian trusted the guy who wanted to do the borrowing. Like, if he was a large financial contributor to the library anyway. :smallwink:

But as far as I know, Ben Franklin was the first to organize a public lending library.

His contributions to the library system (and the fire department system, for that matter) were, as someone else said, more of a small improvement in a long gradual process than a giant revolutionary step. But still ... you can't deny that his "small improvements" coincide quite nicely with these organizations suddenly becoming quite ubiquitous. And that implies that he may actually deserve the credit he gets for them.

Really now, I don't mean the least disrespect to Franklin - I'm sure he did lots for American literacy, and deserves a special place in the history of libraries. But antique libraries _were_ for public access. Whether this access required a more strict personal approval than most libraries today I don't know, but since books were very valuable it is quite possible. From wikipedia:

"In the West, the first public libraries were established under the Roman Empire as each succeeding emperor strove to open one or many which outshone that of his predecessor. Unlike the Greek libraries, readers had direct access to the scrolls, which were kept on shelves built into the walls of a large room."

I do remember reading that the Ephesos library (which is pre-roman) was public, but maybe just to specific students or priviledged people. In ancient Copenhagen, at least in the 16th century, I know that you could borrow books home from the library - but again this may have been restricted, for instance to people associated with the university. Other people definitely also had access to the books, but what it required to be approved for home loans I don't know.

And today, in public libraries all over the world, you still need to be registered to take books home. So maybe we can agree that Franklin popularised and possibly formalised the public library system in America. Rather than invent the public library. And good for him! I love libraries! :smallsmile:

Oh, and I hope future books will all be in colour - I'd be willing to pay more!
Oh, and I hope my current pre-order ships before I leave the US - end of November comes late this year... :smallwink:

Claw
2009-12-23, 06:45 PM
As far as I know, Franklin's library wasn't exactly free.

In most cases I prefer to read in the library anyway.

Curupira
2009-12-24, 11:45 AM
I'm sure Wikipedia must have something on libraries before Ben made his.
(that was a joke)

Well, about lending libraries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lending_library):

The earliest reference or use of the term 'lending library, located in English correspondence dates back to at least c.1586 by the C'Tess Pembroke Ps. CXII. v, "He is..Most liberall and lending," referring to the books of an unknown type of library, and later in a context familiar to today in 1708, by J. Chamberlayne St. Gt. Brit. III. xii. 475 "[The Libraries] of Cambridge are Lending-libraries; that is, he that is qualified may borrow out of it any book he wants”

Ben Franklin was two years old at 1708, so I must think he did NOT invent lending libraries.