PDA

View Full Version : Should I ever get a house in a D&D game...

Mtg_player_zach
2009-11-23, 04:36 AM
...I will cast a Prismatic wall for the door and make it permanent.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-23, 04:37 AM
I will open your window and steal your valuables.

In America.

Haven
2009-11-23, 04:41 AM
Then your enemies burst in through the ceiling or walls.

(Mountain Hammer and Shards of Granite are what I love about Tome of Battle.)

SparkMandriller
2009-11-23, 04:59 AM
You'll be the best hikikomori ever! Nobody's gonna be able to get you out.

Roderick_BR
2009-11-23, 06:59 AM
Whoever tries to knock on it is screwed...

Setra
2009-11-23, 07:01 AM
...I will cast a Prismatic wall for the door and make it permanent.
If you can cast that, wouldn't MMM be a better option?

Prime32
2009-11-23, 07:02 AM
Better - get a permanent Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion... with a mimic for the door.

Grumman
2009-11-23, 07:06 AM
If you can cast that, wouldn't MMM be a better option?
MMM isn't permanent. Imagine having to move house twice a week, every week. Wouldn't that suck?

You're better off with a Daern's Instant Fortress.

Dixieboy
2009-11-23, 09:59 AM
MMM isn't permanent. Imagine having to move house twice a week, every week. Wouldn't that suck?

Not when I'm a travelling wizard.

Then it's a nice replacement for a tent.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-23, 12:02 PM
Whoever tries to knock on it is screwed...

Whoever tries Knock on it, however, will be perfectly fine.

BRC
2009-11-23, 12:04 PM
Should I ever get a house in a DnD Game, I will use Permanent Animate Object on it. Then, I will ride it into battle.

dsmiles
2009-11-23, 12:06 PM
I'd only build a house in a plane that I Genesis-ed. My demiplane, my rules (literally).

Emmerask
2009-11-23, 12:25 PM
I have a gouse in a d&d game...
well its more of a temple in the shape of a red hydra (my goddess)

:smalltongue:

FinalJustice
2009-11-23, 01:11 PM
Short answer: No
Long answer: Never
Long, detailed answer: If you want your DM to screw with it, fine, buy your godamn' mansion. But don't come to me whining when it gets burned down/boobytrapped/infested with demons/transformed into a nightmarish maze/ravaged by kung-fu-fighting-dire-flail-wielding dire bears shooting lasers out of their freakin' eyes and getting extra swift actions due to refluffed Ruby Knight Vindicator levels. (Ok, I may have exaggerated that last one a little bit)

Seriously now. Having Magnificent Mansion, Genesis and other lesser shenanigans (such as camping) available, a proper house is basically a plot point/hook. It may serve as a base to be secured, and you have to fork the cash to secure it. However, more often than not, it will be a plot hook for when the DM really wants your character personally involved (and pissed) with people messing around with it. I, myself, love this kind of plot hook when I can trust my GM to use it properly. I steer clear of it when I suspect the GM has a tendency to overuse it or play it cheaply.

truemane
2009-11-23, 01:22 PM
In Soviet Russia, house in D&D game gets YOU!

Harperfan7
2009-11-23, 09:45 PM
A titanic mimic sitting around a prismatic wall. One skittish pc can't shake the feeling that the house chuckles every once in a while.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-23, 09:49 PM
Should I ever get a house in a D&D game, I shall rent it out for chump change. But hey, using a few spells to get an indefinite source of income is pleasing to be.

Jergmo
2009-11-23, 10:31 PM
Seriously now. Having Magnificent Mansion, Genesis and other lesser shenanigans (such as camping) available, a proper house is basically a plot point/hook. It may serve as a base to be secured, and you have to fork the cash to secure it. However, more often than not, it will be a plot hook for when the DM really wants your character personally involved (and pissed) with people messing around with it. I, myself, love this kind of plot hook when I can trust my GM to use it properly. I steer clear of it when I suspect the GM has a tendency to overuse it or play it cheaply.

My Necromancer Mad Doctor has a house in a friend's campaign, and he was off on business in Team Evil's castle. When he returned to his home (he offers his services as a doctor to the ignorant populace), his door was busted open, his pantry raided, and the thieves even took his bedsheets. His bedsheets, for crying out loud!! :smallfurious:

Luckily, all of his crazy mad science things and medical notes had been moved to his own private laboratory in Team Evil's castle.

Asbestos
2009-11-23, 10:34 PM

You're better off with a Daern's Instant Fortress.
Doesn't it come fully furnished? What is there to move beyond what's in my Bag of Holding?

mikeejimbo
2009-11-23, 10:46 PM
Should I ever get a house in a DnD Game, I will use Permanent Animate Object on it. Then, I will ride it into battle.

That way you can keep an eye on it!

Loxagn
2009-11-24, 12:01 AM
Wards. Wards, wards, wards, Arcane Locks everywhere, reinforced walls, forbiddance all over the place, a heavily-warded panic room, and of course traps. Lots of traps.

TheCountAlucard
2009-11-24, 04:40 AM
However, more often than not, it will be a plot hook for when the DM really wants your character personally involved (and pissed) with people messing around with it.(raises hand) :smallredface:

The party I DM for managed to obtain a shop. Only one baddie's broken into it, and he was pretty much immediately repelled by a trap they had laid.

taltamir
2009-11-24, 05:24 AM
Long, detailed answer: If you want your DM to screw with it, fine, buy your godamn' mansion. But don't come to me whining when it gets burned down/boobytrapped/infested with demons/transformed into a nightmarish maze/ravaged by kung-fu-fighting-dire-flail-wielding dire bears shooting lasers out of their freakin' eyes and getting extra swift actions due to refluffed Ruby Knight Vindicator levels. (Ok, I may have exaggerated that last one a little bit)

so if I build a house, it is guarenteed to attract random XP bundles of joy wrapped in easily stripped off monster flesh? yummy!

Volkov
2009-11-24, 08:10 AM
There are items that can instantly build you a castle. So don't bother buying one.

dsmiles
2009-11-24, 08:14 AM

Is that an adventure seed I smell?

FinalJustice
2009-11-24, 08:14 AM
so if I build a house, it is guarenteed to attract random XP bundles of joy wrapped in easily stripped off monster flesh? yummy!

Guess that's a more optimistic way to see it. Damn' you kids these days and this whole 'glass half full' nonsense *mumble* *grumble*

Volkov
2009-11-24, 08:20 AM
If I'm not wrong, there is a high level item that will instantly build an keep made out of freaking adamantine for you. That's much better than going on the real estate market.

shadow_archmagi
2009-11-24, 08:31 AM
If I'm not wrong, there is a high level item that will instantly build an keep made out of freaking adamantine for you. That's much better than going on the real estate market.

You still have to buy the land.

wormwood
2009-11-24, 08:37 AM
Only if you can't kick the snot out of the previous owner...

Ormagoden
2009-11-24, 03:18 PM
ravaged by kung-fu-fighting-dire-flail-wielding necropolitician awakened dire bears shooting lasers out of their freakin' eyes and getting extra swift actions due to refluffed Ruby Knight Vindicator levels.

Fixed it. :smalltongue:

Jarawara
2009-11-24, 05:47 PM
Huh... Suddenly years of meeting high level NPC's in every town makes sense.

Consider: Your DM buys the typical pre-made adventure, your characters are contacted by such and such to go on some amazing quest to save the town. Yet time and time again, the towsfolk are higher level than you are! The high priest, the old wizard in the hut, the mayor, the constabul, the ranger/druid living in the conspicous grove of trees in the center of town, the mysterious stranger in the corner, and yes, even the bartender, all seem to have earned many levels of experience higher than you, and could backhand you into the stone age if you give them too much lip. Yet "none of them know anything about adventuring, could you please help a poor civilian with this dire threat posed by the goblins."

It's never made any sense till now. But now, I realize that they are speaking the truth. They really never have been on an adventure, and any simple trick or trap would doom them for sure. They'd not even know to bring along a 10 foot pole. They'd not even know the mechanic for unlocking doors. The first pittrap would leave them stranded, and they'd starve.

So how'd they get up in levels, if they've never faced danger before?

Well, simple. All of these NPC's have one thing in common: THEY OWN A HOUSE OR BUSINESS.

... and so the constant barrage of monsters and dangers that beset them due to owning said house has provided them far more XP than would any poor adventurer, **who has to actually travel to the dungeon to earn their own XP**.

*~*

"My friends, will you help us out, please. The raiders threaten our good town. We can't even walk in the streets without fearing for our safety anymore."

"I've seen you in a barfight before. Why can't you deal with this yourself?"

"Oh, I assure you, if they come in here, I'll make mincemeat of them. But outside... I've never faced danger outside of my bar before." (several others chime in, with similar thoughts) "I always hit them as they enter the door." "I've got explosive runes set on the coat-rack." "I built a maze on the first floor, to distract them." "My children fight tag-team in the entry hall, but if we had to fight in the open, who'd cover our backs?" "I bought a Golem to keep peace in the produce isle, but how's that gonna help me in a street fight?" (Party looks at the constabul) Constabul: "Don't look at me. We don't ever have problems in the open here, only inside houses and stores. They usually deal with it before I get there. I'm lower level than most everyone else here."

*~*

Yeah, turns out TSR/Wizards had it right all along... Tippyverse insists that people who live their lives inside a town would logically have far more XP than would adventurers, who waste all their XP earning time traveling to and from their chosen XP source.

taltamir
2009-11-24, 07:31 PM
Guess that's a more optimistic way to see it. Damn' you kids these days and this whole 'glass half full' nonsense *mumble* *grumble*

Actually, the glass is always 100% full. In this situation approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

...lolery...

Ok, that was just awesome

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-24, 07:40 PM
Actually, the glass is always 100% full. In this situation approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

Well, if we're being pedantic, we could count as "full" only the space occupied by subatomic particles, which would make the glass something like 100.0000% empty when rounded to that many decimal places... :P

And seconded on teh lolery

ericgrau
2009-11-24, 07:42 PM
Depends on the roleplaying:hack-and-slash ratio. It must be extremely high to even consider this, and even then if there's enough on the hack-and-slash side you're screwed no matter how rp intensive your group is.

FinalJustice
2009-11-24, 08:02 PM

This is a metaphorical glass, it is half full of impossibly dense goo, and half of it has harmless void in it? Happy now?! Ok, now you understand exactly what I'm saying, young man, so don't you ever try to pull this physics mumbo jumbo on me again.

And I third the lolery.