PDA

View Full Version : [4E] The Green Ring of Willpower

Duos Greanleef
2009-11-23, 11:14 AM
I'm just gonna say it: Hal Jordan of Earth is my favorite super hero.
I was fiddling around with some game stuff the other day and thought:
"Hey, I want a Green Lantern Ring!"
SO I got to thinking. How would one go about making one. It's too powerful to be a standard magic item, so I made it an artifact. I kinda used the Hand and Eye of Vecna as starting points.
What I have is incomplete, and I have something of a creator's block.
The Green Ring of Willpower
The Green Ring is appropriate for characters beginning the paragon tier and upward.
Green Ring of Willpower Paragon Level
A ring made of a strange green material, mounted with an emerald that brightly glows green.
Item Slot: Ring
Property: You gain a +2 to Endurance checks
Property: You can treat your fists as simple melee weapons. They have a +2 proficiency bonus and deal 1d8 damage.
Property: The Green Ring of Willpower can be used as an implement for any implement power that has the Radiant keyword. It has a +3 enhancement bonus and deals an extra 3d6 on critical hits.
Power (At-Will + Implement, Radiant): Standard Action. You can use Blades of Astral Fire (Invoker 1).
Power (Encounter + Implement, Radiant): Standard Action. You can use Searing Light (Cleric 7).
Power (Encounter + Conjuration): Standard Action. You can use Astral Shield (Cleric 16).

Goals of the Green Ring of Willpower
+ Come to the aid of a strong and benevolent hero and see that he never gives up.
+ See that the strong protect the weak.
+ Dispel fears in the hearts of the fearful.

Roleplaying the Green Ring of Willpower
The Green Ring does very little to communicate with its wishes with its wearer. However, it does tend to send feelings of contentment to the wearer when he makes a decision that shows an exertion of willpower, and feelings of disappointment with decisions of fear.

Concordance
Starting Score 5
Owner gains a level +1d10
Owner reaches two milestones in a day +2
Owner protects a defenseless individual +1
Owner succeeds on a saving throw against a fear effect(1/day) +1
Owner flees from battle -1
Owner shows fear in the face of adversity -2
Owner dons or uses the Yellow Ring of Fear -2

Pleased (16-20)
“Your will is strong, and you know no fear. My secrets are yours to be known.”

Satisfied (12-15)
“Fear has no place here. Push on and see exactly what you are capable of!”

Normal (5-11)
“You are capable of great things. Don’t fear the obstacles to achieving them.”

Unsatisfied (1-4)
“There is much fear in you, but not more than can be expelled.”

Angered (0 or lower)
“Fear controls your life. You cannot be helped.”

Moving On
“There is a need elsewhere in this realm!”
The Green Ring knows that either this bearer will never amount to anything, no matter the aid it provides, or that he will no longer benefit from its help. At the next convenient time (Extended rest) it removes itself from the owner’s finger and immediately flies off to find its next wielder.
If the Green Ring and its’ owner were on good terms upon moving on, the owner retains a permanent +1 bonus to defenses against abilities that have the fear keyword, and a +2 bonus to saving throws against fear effects to represent the willpower inherent in the owner.
If the Green Ring and its’ owner were on bad terms upon moving on, the owner retains a permanent -1 penalty to defenses against abilities that have the fear keyword, and a -2 penalty to saving throws against fear effects to represent the inability to stand up to the things he fears most.

Well, That's what I have so far.
As you can see, It's unfinished.
I would like your input for stages of happiness / displeased-ness.
Or maybe It's time to scrap it and continue dreaming.
You may or may not have noticed mention of The Yellow Ring of Fear. If this Green Ring works out, I would like to expand my collection to include the rest of the emotional spectrum. {See Green Lantern: Blackest Night #0}

Thoughts? comments? Concerns? Constructive Criticism?

Thanks Playground!:smallsmile:

dsmiles
2009-11-23, 11:23 AM
Nice, but it may be too much for PCs to handle. I personally don't like to use artifacts that don't have drawbacks or curses (a la 1e), as power without consequence can be a game-breaker.

Temotei
2009-11-23, 03:00 PM
Will it allow the wearer to use all of the radiant monk's abilities? :smallbiggrin: It's in my signature if you don't know what that is.

Duos Greanleef
2009-11-23, 03:19 PM
Will it allow the wearer to use all of the radiant monk's abilities?

Alas, no.
There will be no edition jumping...
*dislikes the concept... and involved work*

Temotei
2009-11-23, 04:48 PM
Alas, no.
There will be no edition jumping...
*dislikes the concept... and involved work*

Indeed. I read it again, and it says "implement power." I'm not an expert on 4e, but I would imagine that means "item power" in simpler wording.

vasharanpaladin
2009-11-23, 04:51 PM
Indeed. I read it again, and it says "implement power." I'm not an expert on 4e, but I would imagine that means "item power" in simpler wording.

Implements are "weapons" for caster-types in 4e. An "implement power" would be most spells and (thus far) all psionic powers, or pretty much anything with the "implement" keyword. An "item power" is a power possessed by a magic item. That said, I'll give my opinion on the artifact later, when I've had time to actually read it. :smallwink:

Inyssius Tor
2009-11-23, 08:44 PM
To be honest--while I want to do the same thing--I think that actually statting up a Green Lantern's power ring isn't necessarily the best way to go about it, even as an artifact. The thing just has too many capabilities. You could easily reflavor more or less any character you can make as a member of the Green Lantern Corps; a rogue, a shaman, a warden, a wizard, a warlock.

Also, though the power ring's constructs do appear to be made out of light, Radiant energy doesn't seem like the best conceptual fit. Healing? Hope? Boosting the strength of others, negating the corruption of hate and fear? That's the Blue Lantern Corps, not the Green.

If I had to pick one energy type for the Green Lantern, it would be Force. Pure energy shaped into physical constructs, be they blades or giant hands or, uh, "force fields". Bigby's Grasping Hand, Forcecage, Otiluke's Resilent Sphere, Spectral Ram, Wall of Force, Force Volley, Magic Missile: this is what the Green Lantern does. Hell, for that matter, look at the ring of the ram. Look familiar?

But a find-and-replace for Radiant > Force in your artifact wouldn't work--indeed, it would make the root problem even worse. The main distinguishing strength of the Lantern power rings is their versatility, their ability to simulate anything the bearer can imagine. The Force keyword, while entirely appropriate for the Green Lantern's ring, is far too rare for a Force-only implement to approximate a useful item, let alone the original.

Nevertheless, this is exactly the sort of idea that really appeals to me, so you can count me interested.

Hmm.

More later; got a few ideas, but they're all kind of broken at the moment.

Volin
2009-11-23, 09:35 PM
I would just make it an implement. Using it as an implement only for radiant powers makes it a very unreliable item. It could just be a gen purpose implement for powers with the implement keyword. That isn't too overpowered for the nature of the item.