PDA

View Full Version : Martial Stance feat for Monk

Drekk
2009-11-23, 12:25 PM
I'm exploring ToB options for a 8th level pure Pathfinder Monk build and I want to take a maneuver and a stance with the Martial Maneuver/Stance feats...I'm torn between Child of Shadow, Assassin's Stance, and to a lesser degree, Pearl of Black Doubt. Although not focused on it, the char will be taking Spring Attack at 10th level, and Child of Shadow synergizes well with it, and negates the Lightning Stance feat tree (and is a little better considering only a single move is required for activation). But 2d6 sneak attack as solid damage is nothing to sneeze at either. I'm thinking the best move might be to take Shadow Blade Technique with Child of Shadow, however. I have a 16 Dex, so it's feasible.

What say the rest of you?

Human Monk
(After items) Str 20 Dex 16 Con 16 Int 14 Wis 22 Cha 14

(1) Versatile Unarmed Strike
(1H) Weapon Focus: Unarmed Strike
(1M) Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Improved Grapple
(2M) Dodge
(3) Martial Study: Clinging Shadow Strike
(5) Enduring Ki
(6M) Improved Trip
(7) Superior Unarmed Strike
-----------
(9) Vital Strike
(10M) Spring Attack
(11) Martial Stance: Assassin’s Stance
(13) Reactive Resistance
(14M) Medusa’s Wrath
(15)
(17)
(18M) Improved Disarm
(19) Improved Vital Strike

The Glyphstone
2009-11-23, 12:29 PM
[Insert anti-Monk comments here]

Spring Attack is, honestly, incredibly bad for a Monk. If you're dead set on it though, make the most you can of it, and get Bounding Assault (2 attacks when Spring Attacking), though you won't qualify for Rapid Blitz till epic. When you're only making 1 attack per round, +2d6 damage will be almost unnoticed.

EDIT: Pathfinder. Not sure if/how they changed Monks and Spring Attack, it might be valuable now.

Drekk
2009-11-23, 12:41 PM
I'm not dead-set on it...But considering it's now a free bonus feat with decent tactical uses I figured it would be a good pick. Plus it pairs with the Vital Strike Chain (double/triple base damage die on a single attack).

The Glyphstone
2009-11-23, 01:09 PM
If it's a bonus feat, that's a bit different...and that Vital Strike ability looks to be very nice indeed. Just don't make it your primary attack option and you should be fine...one of the few things Monks have going for them is Flurry, and Pathfinder Flurry is still a full-round action I think.

Drekk
2009-11-23, 01:37 PM
I'm surprised you're nay for Assassin's Stance then; that's usually the prime pick for stances, especially with Pathfinder Monks getting full BAB with their Flurry of Blows and unarmed damage buffs hard to come by (no more Imp. Natural Attack, tho Superior Unarmed works just fine).

Pearl of Black Doubt is still an option on the table...Though the Maneuvers available for the Martial Study feat are purely underwhelming and I've heard it said that Pearl is a trap...And Diamond Mind doesn't work with Shadow Hand...Hm. Seems Child is the best option with the Dex to dmg feat?

The Glyphstone
2009-11-23, 02:56 PM
It's just that if you're Spring Attacking, you strip away the monk's greatest advantage ( the full-BAB flurry, as noted), and it's harder to set up the flank you need with Assassin's Stance. It depends on if you plan to primarily perform Spring Attacks and occasionally sit in one place, or primarily stand and full-attack things while Spring Attacking only when you need to. If the former, Assassin's Stance is gold and win, if the latter, you'll be better off with Child of Shadow since you'll always be moving around. Plus, if you do take Assassin, consider dipping 1 level in Rogue so you qualify for Craven.

Drekk
2009-11-23, 05:33 PM
Excellent point, Glyphstone. I see this character flurrying far more often than Spring Attacking. Alright, Assassin's Stance it is.