PDA

View Full Version : Odd Map

Trog
2009-11-23, 01:29 PM
Below is a map I stumbled across which compares the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of U.S. states to that of countries with a similar GDP. I find it to be an interesting, and eye opening, comparison as it sort of makes you think about the countries listed and the states listed in a bit of a new light. Plus it's sort of a fun map. :smallsmile:

I know it's a tall order ( :smallsigh: ) but let's keep this discussion light-hearted and free of the "P word" shall we? :smallwink:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/161/350816052_0a392a0d28_o.jpg

I, living in Wisconsin South Africa, plan to head out into my back yard and begin mining for gold and platinum.

http://home.centurytel.net/jeffsjunk/avatars/YukonTrog.gif

Boo
2009-11-23, 01:46 PM
I, living in Wisconsin South Africa, plan to head out into my back yard and begin mining for gold and platinum.

Doesn't South Africa have diamond mines? ...or is that... never mind.

Canada got Texas? Really? But it's not even cold there! Stupid oil companies... Dey tuk r jubz!!

Wow, I AM tired. Right--interesting map, and I'm off! WHOOOSH!!

Madmal
2009-11-23, 01:52 PM
I don't get this map.

So, i live in Utah?

Telonius
2009-11-23, 02:02 PM
So, I live in Austria and work in New Zealand.

Maybe I'm in a Peter Jackson movie...? :smallbiggrin:

Quincunx
2009-11-23, 02:08 PM
Norway mapping to Minnesota is hilarious. They've already used it as a dumping ground for their (1800s-era) population. :smallbiggrin:

MCerberus
2009-11-23, 02:14 PM
This map makes me want to make kielbasa burritos. Mmmm metro-StL area.

Arakune
2009-11-23, 02:15 PM
Brazil is NY ? :smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:

Edit: Ops, WRONG NY :smalltongue:

Starscream
2009-11-23, 02:15 PM
Huh. I'm Australian. I always suspected.

charl
2009-11-23, 02:54 PM
The map is clearly measuring total GDP and not GDP per capita. If it was most European countries mentioned on the map wouldn't be there.

So anyway... North Carolina. Really? I could never stand living in that climate. :smallconfused:

Gullara
2009-11-23, 02:57 PM
I can't see the map for some reason could you give me a link to it?

Edit: I switched to IE so I can see it but I'd still like the link.

Texas? Really? I don't think I'd like to live in Texas, no offence to those of you who do.

KuReshtin
2009-11-23, 03:42 PM

If you quote Trog's post, you'l get the link there.

North Carolina for my country of origin, then. That works for me.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-11-23, 03:46 PM

Texas? Really? I don't think I'd like to live in Texas, no offence to those of you who do.

Texas is sorta the Anti-Canada. Awesome map though.

DraPrime
2009-11-23, 03:47 PM
Hmmmm, so income-wise, I am a Belgian?

The Extinguisher
2009-11-23, 03:58 PM
Texas is sorta the Anti-Canada. Awesome map though.

I dunno. I live in the Texas of Canada as it is.

Mr. Mud
2009-11-23, 03:59 PM
Hong Kong? I'm not sure whether to Squee or get ticked...

*checks Wikipedia's GPD list*

arguskos
2009-11-23, 04:51 PM
Currently in Canada, soon to be in the US Aussiland. Strangeness abounds. :smallconfused:

Very cute and clever map though.

Mando Knight
2009-11-23, 05:38 PM
This map makes me want to make kielbasa burritos. Mmmm metro-StL area.

I don't think anyone else in the metro-StL area finds that strange...

I'd at least try it once. But I'm too lazy to go buy kielbasa right now.

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-23, 05:40 PM
Texas = Canada makes me laugh.

evil-frosty
2009-11-23, 05:44 PM
Uh please excuse my ignorance here but a question. Exactly what is GDP?

Pyrian
2009-11-23, 05:46 PM
Gross Domestic Product - the total value of all goods and services produced in a year.

evil-frosty
2009-11-23, 05:50 PM
Thank You Pyrian. That makes the map a lot more interesting:smallsmile:

Moff Chumley
2009-11-23, 05:59 PM
I'm French? FRENCH!? :smallfurious:

(=P)

Alteran
2009-11-23, 06:02 PM
I'm Texan?

Oh noes, killer bees! :smalleek:

averagejoe
2009-11-23, 06:07 PM

(=P)

Let's face it, and I say this as a native Californian: is anybody really surprised by this? :smallwink:

Zar Peter
2009-11-23, 06:11 PM
So, I live in Austria and work in New Zealand.

Maybe I'm in a Peter Jackson movie...? :smallbiggrin:

Wow, that's a long ride to work.

And it means I'm from Viginia I suppose :smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2009-11-23, 06:12 PM
I dunno. I live in the Texas of Canada as it is.
Quebec?:smallbiggrin:

Moff Chumley
2009-11-23, 06:13 PM
Let's face it, and I say this as a native Californian: is anybody really surprised by this? :smallwink:

Pff, no. :smallbiggrin:

Kroy
2009-11-23, 06:14 PM
I always knew I was Turkish, from the first time I played Diplomacy...

Kool map, btw

Cristo Meyers
2009-11-23, 06:34 PM
Man, I can't make a Playground-friendly (or in good taste) joke about Illinois being Mexico...

RandomNPC
2009-11-23, 09:39 PM
i too find this as a thing of odd beauty

CrimsonAngel
2009-11-23, 09:46 PM
All hail the lone... leaf... country...

toasty
2009-11-23, 10:07 PM
Bangladesh made it onto the map! Awesome!

Now for the stupid question... which State is that? :smallbiggrin:

Moff Chumley
2009-11-23, 10:13 PM
Vermont, I believe.

Pyrian
2009-11-23, 10:48 PM
New Hampshire, actually. :smallcool:

thorgrim29
2009-11-23, 11:13 PM
The Texas of Canada would be alberta I think (Oil, ranches and a reputation for being more religious righty then anyone else)

Moff Chumley
2009-11-23, 11:17 PM
New Hampshire, actually. :smallcool:

Fundamentally, what's the difference? You're both small, insignificant New England states that are quite possible controlled by the communists Canada. :smalltongue:

Pyrian
2009-11-23, 11:27 PM
New Hampshire and Vermont are startlingly culturally distinct for being in the same general area.

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/2009/07/13/sweet-ass-american-trends/

AshDesert
2009-11-24, 12:36 AM
Hmm.... So apparently I live in Canada. Except with guns. And longhorns, and the people actually care about high school football. You know, other than those, NASCAR, and the weather Canada and Texas are actually pretty similar.

Coidzor
2009-11-24, 02:23 AM
...I went from Portugal to Israel.

Interesting.

...I kinda wonder what they do all day in New Hampshire that they have the same GDP as bangladesh. Do they just live there and commute to MassachusettsBoston or New York in order to work or something? :smallconfused:

EndlessWrath
2009-11-24, 02:25 AM
:sigh: Guess i'll have to get used to Austrian food

:smallbiggrin::smallwink::smalltongue:

Neat map
-Wrath

charl
2009-11-24, 03:02 AM
...I went from Portugal to Israel.

Interesting.

...I kinda wonder what they do all day in New Hampshire that they have the same GDP as bangladesh. Do they just live there and commute to MassachusettsBoston or New York in order to work or something? :smallconfused:

NH has a pretty small population. There just isn't enough people to produce a lot of stuff, thus the GDP is the same as Bangladesh (which is so populated a better question would be: what do they do all day in Bangladesh to not out-produce New Hampshire? The answer is probably something like: Starve and get exploited by Western industrialists. But still.)

averagejoe
2009-11-24, 03:51 AM
Hmm.... So apparently I live in Canada. Except with guns. And longhorns, and the people actually care about high school football. You know, other than those, NASCAR, and the weather Canada and Texas are actually pretty similar.

Actually, you can probably just change football to hockey.

ghost_warlock
2009-11-24, 09:51 AM
Wow, and I never thought Iowa and Venezuela had anything in common other than a fondness for oxygen, fruit, and regular bowel movements.

Sereg
2009-11-24, 09:57 AM
Doesn't South Africa have diamond mines?

Yes, we do in fact have diamond mines, but we have gold and platinum mines as well (one of our old gold mines was even made into a theme park). In fact we are very mineral rich and mine many minerals.

Trixie
2009-11-24, 10:48 AM
The map is clearly measuring total GDP and not GDP per capita. If it was most European countries mentioned on the map wouldn't be there.

Not only that, but it is either extremely old, or just random names in random places.

One example - New Jersey (434$ billion) = Russia (1.757$ billion, 2.266$ if counted with PPP). What? :smallsigh:

Or Brazil (1.665$ bln, 1,993$ bln with PPP) = New York (1.010$ bln) - and mind you, these numbers are from 2006, since then they had 3 years of 8-9% growth, compared to 3-4% of US as a whole.

Someone got too much wishful thinking here.

Check, my home country - Poland (567$ bln/667$ bln with PPP) apparently = Missouri (225$ bln) :smallsigh:

All numbers are from 2006 data for the States (wikipedia), or taken from CIA Factbook (other countries) to avoid bias.

Slash 60% of the names from that map and maybe then it will be accurate :smallamused:

Reinholdt
2009-11-24, 11:44 AM
Hehe.
I've always wanted to live there! Now I find out I'm already there!
And I was born in that place.
Interesting. :smallbiggrin:

Deth Muncher
2009-11-24, 12:01 PM
Wow, that's a long ride to work.

And it means I'm from Viginia I suppose :smallbiggrin:

Likewise, apparently I'm Austrian now.

Trog
2009-11-24, 02:22 PM
Not only that, but it is either extremely old, or just random names in random places.

One example - New Jersey (434$ billion) = Russia (1.757$ billion, 2.266$ if counted with PPP). What? :smallsigh:

Or Brazil (1.665$ bln, 1,993$ bln with PPP) = New York (1.010$ bln) - and mind you, these numbers are from 2006, since then they had 3 years of 8-9% growth, compared to 3-4% of US as a whole.

Someone got too much wishful thinking here.

Check, my home country - Poland (567$ bln/667$ bln with PPP) apparently = Missouri (225$ bln) :smallsigh:

All numbers are from 2006 data for the States (wikipedia), or taken from CIA Factbook (other countries) to avoid bias.

Slash 60% of the names from that map and maybe then it will be accurate :smallamused:

The map is indeed, old. I believe it used data from 2000. Also it's claim that it is based off the GDP is sketchy too as there are several ways to measure this and it isn't indicated what measurement was used.

On another site someone apparently tried to correct this map in 2007. Again I cannot vouch for it either. They claim their data set came from apostropher.com. For whatever that info is worth (i.e. possibly not much as it seems to just be a blog of some sort). Again it means nothing to me. That site's revised and "corrected" version is below if you are curious. Unless any of these maps state a source of some sort one should take them all with a grain of salt. Though they are interesting to look at. :smallsmile:

http://www.apostropher.com/blog/archives/StatesXStatesXGDPtest1.gif
*Changes his plan from mining for gold to producing cork and pine trees* *sigh* =/

Mercenary Pen
2009-11-24, 02:25 PM
I notice nobody's found an equivalent for New Mexico yet:smallwink:

Froogleyboy
2009-11-24, 03:40 PM
I live in Iran? AWESOME!

AshDesert
2009-11-24, 04:00 PM
Well, now I live in India or Mexico. Well, the weather's closer this time, and the food from either of those countries is much better than Canada (no offense to those who live in Canada, spicy food is very delicious).

CrimsonAngel
2009-11-24, 04:02 PM

Oh my god, I'm down here too!

Eon
2009-11-24, 04:38 PM
... i'm either from Norway or Argentina. two countries i know little about...

SurlySeraph
2009-11-24, 05:38 PM
I prefer the updated map, as I'd rather live in Greece than in Belgium, and my home state would be great either way (Brazil and South Korea).

NH has a pretty small population. There just isn't enough people to produce a lot of stuff, thus the GDP is the same as Bangladesh (which is so populated a better question would be: what do they do all day in Bangladesh to not out-produce New Hampshire? The answer is probably something like: Starve and get exploited by Western industrialists. But still.)

Mainly they grow rice and tea, make clothes, get flooded, and get cholera and tuberculosis in truly horrific numbers. Though conditions have improved a lot, and are improving pretty rapidly.

toasty
2009-11-24, 10:30 PM

No, no, I'd actually venture that the Rich Bangladeshis do more exploiting than the West. Monthly garment factory riots (garment factories owned and run by Bangladeshis) being a perfect example. :smallwink:

Mainly they grow rice and tea, make clothes, get flooded, and get cholera and tuberculosis in truly horrific numbers. Though conditions have improved a lot, and are improving pretty rapidly.[/QUOTE]

They also like to complain about the weather when the sun goes away for a few weeks. ITS SO COLD!!!!! (says the boy in shorts... :p)

Nomrom
2009-11-25, 12:49 AM
Ahh, I'm Canadian...

Wait, I'm suddenly feeling very Mexican or Indian. And not those American Indians, those other Indians.

Kaiser Omnik
2009-11-25, 07:47 PM
You want odd maps? :smallbiggrin:

Images of the social and economic world (http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/cartograms/)

TheThan
2009-11-25, 09:32 PM

(=P)

I know the feeling bro