PDA

View Full Version : What to do? (Noah, Anna STAY OUT)

Amador
2009-11-23, 03:32 PM
So I was DMing with a new player a few days ago and things went really well, mostly. They retreated from a group of orcs and came back a few days later only to learn that the orcs had called in reinforcements. So they ran to a room in the dungeon where a sorceress had been living. The room was then barricaded with the bed. End result was the bed burning in the doorway, the surviving member of the party trading sling bullets for crossbow bolts with the orcs over the fire. As a last ditch measure she threw five pouches of acane components on to the fire. I treated this as five shots from a rod of wonder.
The character blew away the orcs with a fireball, generated 1200 butterflies and shrunk to 1/12 her size. This works brilliantly with her character: A 1st level ranger, favored enemy: vermin.

Question: Is there a way to create encounters that will be challenging for a Fine character and a Medium character?

dsmiles
2009-11-23, 03:43 PM
Honestly, yes, but it will take a LOT of planning on your part.

The Fine character kind of breaks the game (in a "I can't be very useful in combat, I'm too small" sort of way).

Zovc
2009-11-23, 04:01 PM
Would it hurt the player's feelings if you made them small instead? It'd be a lot easier to balance, and the end result would practically be a buff (although smaller weapons will hurt damage output).

dsmiles
2009-11-23, 04:04 PM
Would it hurt the player's feelings if you made them small instead? It'd be a lot easier to balance, and the end result would practically be a buff (although smaller weapons will hurt damage output).

Sure...take the easy way out...:smallwink:

Shademan
2009-11-23, 04:06 PM
just have her slowly grow back again. like one size category a week or sumfin

Dr Bwaa
2009-11-23, 04:10 PM
Just FYI, the Rod of Wonder (awesome item, and great call for the effect) shrink effect is as Reduce Person, so it only lasts 1 min/lvl (10 minutes for the RoW, but maybe more or less for her character).

However, if you want a Fine ranger fighting butterflies with favored Enemy: Vermin, I can understand why :smalltongue:

Shadwen
2009-11-23, 05:20 PM
the "fine" character will not deal much damage but can do alot of things that most characters cannot, such as enter rooms without force. with a "fine" bag of holding take all it wants. you know. Why would you do that?

Telonius
2009-11-23, 05:23 PM
just have her slowly grow back again. like one size category a week or sumfin

I'd say this one, if only because she can then say:

"...I got better."

Subotei
2009-11-23, 06:32 PM
The book 'Swords of Lankhmar' by Fritz Lieber has Lankhmar taken over by the city's rat population - worth a read if you go for a 'mini' adventure. Google it for an overview.