PDA

View Full Version : How do you do names?

Fortuna
2009-11-23, 03:50 PM
As the title says, how do you do names? Peronally, I have a rather elaborate system whereby I take a base word and run it through several steps, arriving at a name which is unrecognisable as the root word. As aan example, a cookie to the first person who guesses the root word for "Silep".

ocdscale
2009-11-23, 03:55 PM
I replace all the vowels with apostrophes and then put a hyphen in the middle.
In the case of noteworthy characters, I also append "the [verb]er"
For BBEGs, it's "the [synonym for dark/shadow/evil/bad] [verb]er"

dsmiles
2009-11-23, 03:56 PM
Not gonna try to figure it out...:smalltongue:
I also have a complex system of...umm...recycling names from previous characters...
After 25 years, you start to run out of names...:smallwink:

Glass Mouse
2009-11-23, 03:58 PM
As a player, I pick a name off the top of my head - names, especially female, usually come pretty easily to me.

As GM, I'm still fairly new, so I haven't run out of names (yet :smalltongue:), but I still go to a session with two or three names in my head, just in case I'll need it.

Silep = sleep ?

drengnikrafe
2009-11-23, 04:03 PM
I've taken to give every race human names of people I like. Needless to say, I'll still pretty new, I'm going to have to start relying on my Latin-English, Spanish-English, French-English, and really anylanguage-English dictionaries at some point.

AtwasAwamps
2009-11-23, 04:04 PM
I tend to use a lot of Hindi, Sanskrit, Japanese, and Chinese in determining roots of names.

Then I create an NPC named Eric the Mage. He is a mage. His name is Eric.

What? He's cool. We like Eric.

Dr Bwaa
2009-11-23, 04:06 PM
Several ways:

1) I have several recurring NPCs who exist across campaign settings. These are people like Ajheed, who took his name from a previous PC of mine and turned into a wholly different NPC quest-giver bard-type.

2) Similarly, any wizard/cleric PCs (mine or my friends') of sufficient power are occasionally ported in from other games when I need a plot device and nothing short of "an all-powerful wizard knows" will do.

3) When I actually want to make a meaningful (major NPC) name, I use a poorly-disguised root word, but I make it an obscure root and then relate it in a nonstandard way.

4) PC names are, if I can't think of anything, created using a complicated system of dice rolls worked out so that a pronouncable number of vowels are usually generated and so that all letters are representable. Up to about 4 letters are usually generated this way (for each of first/last names), then I fill in the rest (resulting in mixed-heritage names like Claaus O'Neal).

Shademan
2009-11-23, 04:07 PM
I take a pen and paper and i get things DONE!
haha, srsly. I just grab a pencil and see what I write. if I like it I take it:smallcool:

AtwasAwamps
2009-11-23, 04:09 PM
My favorite name is still "Sciane", pronounced just like Shane but spelled all fancy-like.

Took a page from Asimov's book with that one (Hari, Dors, etc...He admits that he just liked misspelling names when he thought he could get away with it). For the longest time I thought Hari Seldon was supposed to be Indian...

AtopTheMountain
2009-11-23, 04:15 PM
I usually just go on the D&D website and run the character name generator they have up there. Yes, I'm lazy. :smalltongue:

Chunklets
2009-11-23, 04:16 PM
I second (or third, or wherever we are now) the idea of using foreign-language dictionaries - the dwarves in my homebrew campaign were all named with the aid of a Lithuanian-English dictionary. I don't really try for words that mean specific things; mostly I'm after words that sound right. However, if you're doing that, it's probably a good idea to make sure that nobody in your gaming group is actually fluent in language in question! It's always unfortunate when somebody points out that your BBEG is named something like "Baggage-Carousel Rainbow."

On a more specific note, if you're looking for Ancient-Greek-Sounding names, The Iliad is a great source. It's full of minor characters whose only role is to appear for a few lines (often with their parents' names helpfully included), get hacked to bits by Achilles or Hector, and vanish back into obscurity.

Telonius
2009-11-23, 04:19 PM
As the title says, how do you do names? Peronally, I have a rather elaborate system whereby I take a base word and run it through several steps, arriving at a name which is unrecognisable as the root word. As aan example, a cookie to the first person who guesses the root word for "Silep".

Cake. Cake to pie, pie to pile, pile to piles, piles to silep.

Fortuna
2009-11-23, 04:22 PM
Silep = sleep ?

A nice try, but nowher near. My system generally takes me about a minute to run for one name, although I need pen and paper or similar on hand. It also involves fudging whenever I feel it neccessary, although I avoided that with the one that I posted. I have never had trouble with coming up with names, but it is very interesting to see what other people have done.

EDIT: Ninja'd! And wrong. Closer to my system than the above suggestion, but missing the vital step which makes them damned near unrecognizable.

Gamerlord
2009-11-23, 04:23 PM
For non-humans, I just mash a bunch of letters together and call it a name.

valadil
2009-11-23, 04:29 PM
I usually try to use something that could have been an English name, but just wasn't. I don't like over the top fantasy names with 6 syllables, twice as many apostrophes, and at least one æ.

Fortuna
2009-11-23, 04:32 PM
Likewise for most names, but occasionally they can work IMHO.

Fax Celestis
2009-11-23, 04:33 PM
I find a name with a meaning that fits from here (http://behindthename.com).

Ormur
2009-11-23, 04:41 PM
I just name the important NPC something vaguely Latin-y, or make up something that could be a name in my native Icelandic that doesn't actually mean anything. I also reused a lot of names I made long ago when I made a genealogical tree for an imaginary kingdom. I try to keep them a bit familiar and pronounceable in my language, maybe a bit Tolkienesque: Morndrak, Gerdrekur, Vertólus etc.

If I run out of ideas I go to Wikipedia and look for historical equivalents or in sci-fi books my players haven't read. The last emperor of an empire In my game was named Pálogos after the dynasty of the last Byzantine emperor, Palaiologos.

The non plot significant common people have to make due with nouns or adjectives that could pass for names. So there's no real system. I might adopt something for specific races or creatures when I get to naming those in my campaign. So far it's mostly humans and a few gnomes and halflings.

Glass Mouse
2009-11-23, 04:44 PM
EDIT: Ninja'd! And wrong. Closer to my system than the above suggestion, but missing the vital step which makes them damned near unrecognizable.

It involves ROT13, doesn't it? :smalltongue:

AslanCross
2009-11-23, 04:52 PM

This is pretty much what I do as well.
A BBEG's blackguard/warblade right hand man (eventually I decided to make the character a woman) started with the base word "Calamity." That went through Calamor and then became Caellamore when I decided the character would be female.

Sometimes I also take the suggested names in some fluff books (like the common national names in Eberron's Five Nations book) and mash them together. I ended up with "Elzikki" for my female artificer once through that method.

Kallisti
2009-11-23, 04:58 PM
I just make stuff up at random, unless there's a specific meaning I need. So I've gotten all kinds of weird names like that. Lirance, for my barbarian, for example, or Callsiyette for a random NPC. I liked the sound of it, so I used it.

Crafty Cultist
2009-11-23, 05:03 PM
I just string a few syllables together until I get a name that sounds good

Fortuna
2009-11-23, 05:11 PM
It involves ROT13, doesn't it? :smalltongue:

It involves whatnow?

@AslanCross: I take it several steps further, bringing all of my meagre knowledge of linguistics to bear on it.

rockdeworld
2009-11-23, 05:12 PM
I hate coming up with names, and so I usually use a random name generator (like this one: http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/). I look at the ones it provides, then pick the one I think sounds best. To that end, it has to be pronounceable, and not ridiculous.

oxybe
2009-11-23, 05:12 PM
i look around. i once called a PC "Tim Nestea" because Tim was in the FLGS drinking Nestea.

and yes, i hate naming characters and i have a history of "Tim" "Ed" "Robert/Bob" "John/Joe" ect... mainly because i find most fantasy names absolutely ridiculous.

when i do get "creative" with names, it's usually a sound or just a silly sounding word.

Set
2009-11-23, 05:14 PM
If the character is supposed to be a member of a certain culture, I go to the Onamastikon and just rip through names until I see one that 'sounds cool.'

Since I usually end up writing down a half-dozen, and then picking the one that rolls off the tongue easier, I end up with extra names left over for NPCs, that end up in a file somewhere. I often use them for MMO characters, and have a bunch with weird Celtic sounding names like Uinseach, Sammae and Siobhannon or weird Nordic sounding names like Steinketl, Solskaer, Helsdottir and Hrafngeir.

Other times I'm not in the mood, and end up playing a character named Rutroh Raggy for 60 odd levels. Such is life.

Glass Mouse
2009-11-23, 05:16 PM
It involves whatnow?

Rot13 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROT13). Nevermind, I was mostly just trying to be funny.

Actually, one method I used long ago is sitting down in front of your computer, open a word document, and then just randomly hit your keyboard until you've got four or five lines. Read them - there ought to be something that sounds a little bit cool among all those letters - modify a little - et voilà!

AslanCross
2009-11-23, 05:39 PM
It involves whatnow?

@AslanCross: I take it several steps further, bringing all of my meagre knowledge of linguistics to bear on it.

I'd love to know what those steps are. :D

Shpadoinkle
2009-11-23, 05:43 PM
I have two methods.

First, I just go through random pairs of syllables in my head until I find a pairing I like. Then, if it sounds good I'll go with it, and if I think it needs more, I'll add another syllable somewhere.

The second method consists of taking a real name or word and modifying it into something new. For example, I got Lasaan by taking Alexander and dropping the first and last syllables. Lexan actually isn't bad, but it's the name of some commercial product or other, so it still needs work. Change the x to an s and we get Lesan. Change the spelling slightly so it's pronounced properly, and I ended up with Lasaan.

Theodoric
2009-11-23, 05:53 PM
I take an ancient Germanic name (Western, Northern and Eastern), and then mess them up depending on what name I want to end up with. 'Evil' characters I often base on Gothic names, and Dwarves have actual dwarven names.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-23, 06:10 PM
I use whatever sounds good, most of the time.

I've made a Barbarian named Glenbok, an Unarmed Swordsage named Kathinda, and a Psion named Jack as just a few examples.

The one name I put a bit of work into is Arbalos; the ranged Cleric worshiping the goddess of wilderness.

Fortuna
2009-11-23, 06:12 PM
@AslanCross: I'm sure you would. If you work out the root word for Silep, then I will give you a cookie AND the process.

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-23, 06:20 PM
Something about supposed badass names just seems silly to me, so I just use normal names. Things like Travis, Charles, Arthur and Steve. I find this to be easier for other players and DMs to keep track of as opposed to Brangshlaftenwarden the Enefibale Slayer of the Damned Children of Demigorgon.

Dr Bwaa
2009-11-23, 06:27 PM
Ooh, I forgot one big one!

Probably my favorite naming convention is to take an idea or concept that the character represents, and make the character's name an anagram of that word.
For example, I had an NPC (never actually to exist unless the PCs found a time-travel vortex to go thousands of years into the past) from the world's history who, in eons long gone, raised a huge army to challenge the gods (Gods in this setting walk the earth, and there's even a huge mountain with no top where they all live-- think Greek mythology and you're 90% there), and ended it all with a horrific epic spell in the midst of a battle-- the wars and the spell together wiped out about 60% of the world's population (all races together, not just human), and blasted a permanent desert into the middle of the continent, the middle of which was divided by an (effectively) infinitely-deep abyss, through which the Weave is torn and tattered.

HOOOO TANGENT! Anyway, he ended up killing practically everything, as well as five Gods (some major, some minor). So I took the word omnicide, and turned it into his name: Domeinic. :smallbiggrin:

Jokasti
2009-11-23, 06:31 PM
I wrote a Java Program recently that randomly comes up with a number from 2-4, and each number is a consonant and a vowel. So a 2 could be Taki, or Thielkea, and 4 could be Oknaistieneat or Sasasasa. It's pretty convaluted, but I like it. And once my one of my characters was a symbol, known to all as, "The Adventurer Formerly Known as Phil".

Curmudgeon
2009-11-23, 06:37 PM
I mostly pick simple, adaptable names: Chris, Terry, Robin, Leslie, Kelly, Michael, Ashley. Can be either male or female. It's not the name that matters; it's how the character is played.

Rhiannon87
2009-11-23, 06:46 PM
Baby names websites. Random name generators tend to present unpronounceable piles of mush. Baby names websites let you search by language/region/theme, by meaning, by starting letter, by sex... And you usually end up with something you can pronounce.

Just make sure you've announced to your significant other that you're using the site for D&D research. The look on my boyfriend's face was priceless the first time he walked in and saw me looking at a baby names site.

ChrisFortyTwo
2009-11-23, 06:58 PM
Renaissance Composers, Nobles, and other minor figures...

Chaucer had a ton of "fairly" normal sounding names, but are distinct enough that your characters aren't named Bob.

Also, along with the baby names, try googling "Common russian/portugese/german/etc. names" You'll have a list of fun ones.

gdiddy
2009-11-23, 07:05 PM
I do it Georege R. R. Martin-style for humans. Take a name. Change a letter in a way that makes sense in English.

Never give an NPC or PC a name you would make fun of in real life if you met a goth kid with the same name.

Let's go to town with some men's names. I'll spend 20 seconds per string.

James - Rames - Rame - Rane - Rene - Renee - Renard

Kyle - Kale - Kalem - Halem - Herem - Hereld - Erol - Orel

Robert - Rosbert - Gosbert - Gosbed - Gosfred - Godfred - Edfred

There, I can pull names out of that for weeks. Some are bigger winners then others, but I could use 3-4 suggestions per line a week, if I need them.

Asbestos
2009-11-23, 07:08 PM
Baby names websites. Random name generators tend to present unpronounceable piles of mush. Baby names websites let you search by language/region/theme, by meaning, by starting letter, by sex... And you usually end up with something you can pronounce.

Just make sure you've announced to your significant other that you're using the site for D&D research. The look on my boyfriend's face was priceless the first time he walked in and saw me looking at a baby names site.

Thank you! Another person that does it the easy, baby names way. So simple and effective, plenty of cultures already have interesting enough names without needing to resort to unpronouncable gibberish, computer programs, and strange cryptographical methods.

Temotei
2009-11-23, 07:11 PM
On a more specific note, if you're looking for Ancient-Greek-Sounding names, The Iliad is a great source.

Agreed.

Kyle - Kale - Kalem - Halem - Herem - Hereld - Erol - Orel

I dunno...Orel is pretty funny. :smalltongue:

Dairun Cates
2009-11-23, 07:11 PM
A combination of looking up names for appropriate cultures, reference to mythology, and random steves.

Oh, and would Silep happen to be a sleepy-headed character since...

Sleep becomes Sileep
Sileep becomes Silep?

...Or am I gonna have to pull some Japanese style L and R confusions here?

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-11-23, 07:12 PM
It depends on the race for me: humans -> rearrange letters, dwarves -> English-to-X dictionary, dragons -> convoluted process, illithid -> keyboard banging, etc. However, since I feel bad about truly random names I make sure there's some meaning behind the name...I have three or four dozen NPCs whose names' meanings are along the lines of "Random," "Unexpected," "Wing It," "Met In Bar," and so forth.

Sir Homeslice
2009-11-23, 07:13 PM
I abuse Behind the Name and Behind the Surname liberally.

Temotei
2009-11-23, 07:15 PM
Leopard --> Leaper --> Paler --> Rapelles --> Sallep --> Silep? :smallbiggrin:

Volos
2009-11-23, 07:18 PM
I pull names from anywhere and everywhere, but the list on the 'behind the name' website seems to be serving me well so far.

Fortuna
2009-11-23, 07:20 PM
gdiddy is the closest to my process so far. Temotei has once again missed out the crucial step which makes the process impenetrable. I will post the process tomorrow if noone has earned the cookie.

root9125
2009-11-23, 07:25 PM
I pound on the keyboard, look away, look back, and add vowels as necessary.

Fuzzie Fuzz
2009-11-23, 07:29 PM
If I want fancy, fantastical, flourishing names, I use medical dictionaries. I often have to tweak the names to change them from sounding like obscure diseases, and make them sound like really awesome elves or something, and maybe move some accents around. (Fla-vi-VI-rus becomes Fla-VI-vir-us, etc.) Quick, easy, and cool sounding.

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/hp.asp

One of my players named his character (at my suggestion) Cheiropompholyx, or Cheiro for short. Cheiropompholyx is some bizarre skin disease that makes your hands and feet itch.

Other potential names generated this way:
Xanthelasma - yellowish eyelid bumps
Xeric - characterized by dryness
Ferroniere - A jewel worn in the 19th century to hide the marks of Syphilis
Flavivirus - A family of viruses transmitted by mosquitoes and ticks
Chalazion - a small eyelid tumor
Chaulmoogra - a type of East Indian tree
Cheilectropion - an abnormal turning outward of one or both lips
Cheirokinesthetic - Someting about the perception of hand movements
Chemiluminescence - glowing due to chemical reaction
Chemopallidectomy - A procedure for the relief of tremors
Jejunum - Part of the small intestine
Tinea Cruris - Jock Itch
Acromioclavicular - A joint near the collar bone
Epidermolysis Bullosa - A skin condition resulting in blisters
Juxtavesicular - Near the bladder
Kwashiorkor - A childhood disease due to protein deprivation
Caenorhabditis Elegans - A type of roundworm
Calcaneocuboid - A joint in the foot
Calefacient - Anything warm

CockroachTeaParty
2009-11-23, 07:31 PM
When it comes to naming my player characters, I have sort of an odd habit. I often play humans: when I do, I usually give them the last name Doubleday. I just like that name. I like to pretend that they are all somehow related, members of the Doubleday Clan. I then pick interesting or odd first names, usually ones I stumble across in literature.
Some examples:
Bishop Doubleday
Lothario Doubleday
Ichabod Doubleday
Sylvester Doubleday
Ulysses Doubleday
Quentin Doubleday

All of the above were real characters, and most of them were spellcasters (the Doubleday family produces a lot of casters, it would seem).

I've recently started a new 'family' of adventurers: the Soryus. So far, there are only two: Luna and Blain Soryu.

I also commonly use the Eberron campaign setting, and there are enough naming conventions within to allow me to create all manner of realistic NPC names.

Alavar
2009-11-23, 07:52 PM
I normally just take some names from my favorite books. My name, Alavar, for example, was because I really liked the wolfmage guy from McKiernan's books, but forgot the D in front of it. I've also cribbed names from many others over the years, but I usually like to make the character radically different from the depiction in the book I'm taking it from.

Kelb_Panthera
2009-11-23, 08:55 PM
For the most part I just use the random name generation tables from different splat-books.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-23, 08:59 PM
Adjectivegerund Nounverber!

I just use random real names that sound "cool". I've used Basque, Persian, Hebrew (a lot of those, for some reason)...

I use a lot of Hebrew names, I just realized. Wonder why.

Thurbane
2009-11-23, 09:33 PM
Voila! (http://www.enworld.org/forum/plots-places/203309-name-resources-those-who-have-trouble-naming-their-rogues-villians-heroes.html) :smallbiggrin:

Rixx
2009-11-24, 01:28 AM
I come up with the character's appearance first, and then give them a name based on their appearance (in terms of "that guy looks like a ______".

Berserk Monk
2009-11-24, 02:20 AM
Couple of ways:

Pick a word vaguely associated with your character and spell it backwards: meet my wizard, Retsac Cigam.

For last names, just combine two words: Greenhilt, Starshine, Spellstaff, etc,

Oh, and for warriors, just watch the Space Mutiny episode of MST3K:

Ram McHardpunch
Slab Thickhead
Bulk McFastkick
Hit Slabiron
Stomp Largepec

Zaq
2009-11-24, 02:42 AM
90% of my names are adapted from Magi-Nation in one way or another. But no one's ever heard of Magi-Nation except from me raving about how awesome it is, so it's okay.

LemonSkye
2009-11-24, 03:07 AM
It depends on the character, but I tend to use baby name sites and the different racial language tables provided in the books. I tend to give each race a culture that I use to pull names from--Elves typically have (creatively spelled) Italian or French names (unless they're Desert, Painted, or Sand Elves, which get Spanish names), Dwarves typically have the standard Germanic/Scandinavian names, Humans get English or Gaelic names, unless location dictates otherwise; the same goes for most of the planetouched and half-races, but they typically have a sprinkling of the other half's culture in their names. Location-wise, for desert-dwellers, I tend to use Farsi, and jungle natives tend to get Mayan/Aztec names or Hindi/Sanskrit names, depending on race and setting. Also, OA characters tend to get Japanese names by default, despite the setting itself being a mishmash of cultures.

As you may have guessed, language and etymology tends to play a part in any setting I make. ^^;

Quincunx
2009-11-24, 06:43 AM
Last time I needed a large batch of names, I ran names from existing old fantasy through a filter to make them comply with Latin syllabification (the more outlandish ones only retained the beginning syllable) and grammar. The resulting pile looked vaguely related yet didn't betray its origins. Next time, I'll try the same base names and filter them by urban names of the northeastern US. The Dread Lady La'Raneesha? Could work.

Wulfram
2009-11-24, 06:55 AM
I randomly press the keyboard, then edit.

PaladinBoy
2009-11-24, 07:34 AM
I tend to do the "random collection of letters" method, although I try to avoid too many syllables and ridiculously unpronounceable stuff.

I also borrow names from the computer/video games I play, or from TV shows (although that's mostly for other computer RPGs). Haven't tried using something like that in an actual D+D game, although I theoretically could since none of my current friends play the same computer games I do.

I've also started using more Japanese names lately. I just find it easy to make a Japanese name mean something without being too obvious to everyone else.

dsmiles
2009-11-24, 07:35 AM
I've also started using more Japanese names lately. I just find it easy to make a Japanese name mean something without being too obvious to everyone else.

Once had a monk named, "Sum Hung-Lo."

EDIT: It was supposed to be funny. It was an April Fool's game.

Emy
2009-11-24, 08:29 AM
Personally, I go with whatever sounds right for the character.

Once had a monk named, "Sum Hung-Lo."

EDIT: It was supposed to be funny. It was an April Fool's game.

From the context of your post (using the quote you did), that's supposed to be a pseudo-Japanese name, but it doesn't sound Japanese at all. For a pseudo-Japanese name, just take stuff like Hayashi, Tanabe, Hiro, Yuki, Hito, Moto, Goto, Aki, Shi, Yama, and mix well, honestly. Hiroshi Akiyama. Yamamoto Gotoshi. Hitoaki Yuki. Tanabe Akimoto. Shiyama Hayashi.

Of course, you could always grab a few kanji you like from a Nelson or from Jim Breen's online resource thingy, then figure out how they would be pronounced together. However, to throw a quick name together, this works fine.

dsmiles
2009-11-24, 08:46 AM
From the context of your post (using the quote you did), that's supposed to be a pseudo-Japanese name, but it doesn't sound Japanese at all. For a pseudo-Japanese name, just take stuff like Hayashi, Tanabe, Hiro, Yuki, Hito, Moto, Goto, Aki, Shi, Yama, and mix well, honestly. Hiroshi Akiyama. Yamamoto Gotoshi. Hitoaki Yuki. Tanabe Akimoto. Shiyama Hayashi.

No. Pseudo-Chinese/Korean...I just wanted an excuse to say Sum Hung-Lo.

GallóglachMaxim
2009-11-24, 09:22 AM
I've got a cultural framework to start with for NPCs (Persian/Kurdish names for elves, Dutch/Flemish for dwarves, big pile of different options for humans and halfling characters, all depending on background), and then usually use Behind the Name or similar sites.

For PCs, either a meaningful alias/nickname/title for the more paranoid/folksy/pretentious characters, or a real name that seems to fit with the background.

Or my warforged, "#5".

Does anyone else think that published fantasy authors sometimes seem to use the 'mash buttons and add vowels' approach?

Cyanic
2009-11-24, 11:08 AM
Never really though about this much, the names just seem to come to me once I pin down the npc/pc concept.

Fishy
2009-11-24, 11:32 AM
Option 1: The Power Animal

Come up with a short phrase that describes something vaguely associated with your character, use Google Translate on the various non-Romance languages, mash cool sounding words together, never tell anyone what the phrase was.

Option 2: Language Building

When making a culture/race/country/world, throw down some naming conventions. "Demon names are several syllables too long, have lots of kh and zh, and random Hebrew word roots". "Everybody who is anybody has a House, the 'Ir-' prefix means 'Son Of', and the 'Kel-' prefix means 'Outcast From'." "Humans go by M. John Smith, androids go by A. Jane Doe." Creates a very neat effect, but is a pain to set up. Can be combined with Option 1, "This country's names are a made by combining Welsh and Ukranian words."

Option 3: Bang Randomly On The Keyboard.

dsmiles
2009-11-24, 11:35 AM
Option 4:

Name your low-INT fighter or barbarian after the sound his/her primary weapon makes. Works best for orcs and half-orcs.