PDA

View Full Version : Burlew Blocked?

Stanfield22
2009-11-23, 06:38 PM
Foremost, I would like to make two points.

The first of those is that I've been a phantom follower since back in the days of Roy's crush on Miko, but would not label myself a fanatic enough to participate with viable content in many of the threads that take place in the other heading (which was a pretty large factor on my choosing to post here instead).

Second, this is in no way an attack on a person I foremost consider an author of talent, a tailor of whimsy, and a creator of what is, beyond a fantastic story, a form of escapism for a larger fan base than I'm sure he's given credit for.

The title of this thread refers to the most recent lapse in comic generation. It has been 12 days since an update, and as of late, this is becoming common... or uncommon, depending on how you view the half-full glass.

I, for one, am not nameable as a "conspiracy theorist", but I find myself wondering if Rich happens to be suffering from writer's block; on the main page, he recently mentioned that he'd be taking a much-deserved hiatus to pat himself on the back for an excellent story arc. My pessimism (let's say, the half-empty glass) wonders if he's fallen out of love with the story he's worked on.

I decided to create a thread on this with an "is it just me, or...?" sentiment.
I'd also like to wish Rich all the best with his creation, regardless of the circumstances that (may) keep it at bay.

Jokasti
2009-11-23, 06:47 PM
Whenever the Giant takes this long, it ends up being and epic two-pager.
So, worth the wait.
Also, we all know that there is no glass. You just have to snort the purple (http://xkcd.com/566/).

Jack Squat
2009-11-23, 06:49 PM
This probably belongs in the OotS forum.

That being said, he's said several times that he has to take breaks for health reasons, which is why he can no longer keep a consistent schedule.

While it's not radical to think that at points he may run into writers block, he's also stated that he knows as a whole how the story's going to run, so the writer's block would more than likely be in getting the punchlines out more than actual plot progression and shouldn't really delay a comic more than a couple days.

I'd say that the more likely reason is indeed because of his health, and possibly because other real-life things have gotten in the way. Happens to everyone, no matter their devotion.

Jokasti
2009-11-23, 07:01 PM
Plus, you know, Thanksgiving is coming up. So probably a festive comic, and then no update for a week, and as ^ said, possibly health conditions.

Crimmy
2009-11-23, 07:59 PM
* Missed/Late Comics: Threads speculating on when a comic will be posted or why it may be late will be locked; this does not apply to official threads started by site staff providing notification of a late comic. This applies to both Order of the Stick and Erfworld.

Always read the rules before posting. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=29&a=1)

So, you should have sticked to lurking.
Instead, you broke a rule.

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-23, 08:53 PM
Always read the rules before posting. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=29&a=1)

So, you should have sticked to lurking.
Instead, you broke a rule.

No need to panic though. It happens all the time.

Roland St. Jude
2009-11-23, 09:12 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Or, as I call it, job security.

Discussions of the comic posting timing crop up whenever The Giant takes more than a few days or so to post a comic. So much so, that he's: 1) posted a news post telling people that his health may cause gaps in comic posting and 2) created a rule to prohibit these pointless discussions.

Only he knows when the next comic will be posted or why there hasn't been a new one in X days. Posts like this just serve to rile people up ("I deserve a new comic" - "You don't deserve anything, it's free" - "this is against the rules" - "I have my freedom of speech," etc.)

This topic is expressly listed as an Inappropriate Topic; please give it a wide berth.