PDA

View Full Version : [d20 Future] This race needs to be peer reviewed. Help please?

TaintedLight
2009-11-23, 07:19 PM
I have been trying to bring down the power level of this race substantially, but it still seems way too good for a +0 LA. The basic idea is that each member of this race is composed entirely of microscopic symbiotic organisms. Their racial philosophy is that a warrior's true strength comes from his spirit, and that only once you truly learn to shed your body completely can you be said to have achieved true mastery. Please help me make this idea work!

Min-Maarit

Ability Adjustments: +2 Intelligence, -2 Dex, -2 Con
Medium
30 Feet
Low Light Vision
Discorporate- A Min-Marit may force the symbiotes that compose his being to perform certain extraordinary feats once per day. They gain these abilities according to the following progression:

1 Kyrmi
5 Orvri
10 Imri
15 Givri
20 Harbri

Kyrmi
Active: The Min-Maarit gains the benefits of a Blur spell.

Orvri
Passive: While discorporated, a Min-Maarit is uninhibited by difficult terrain.

Imri
Active: The Min-Maarit gains DR 5/energy

Givri
Active: The Min-Maarit gains darkvision and See Invisibility while discorporated.

Harbri
Passive: A Min-Maarit who has mastered the Highest Form gains a +5 bonus to his Constitution score while discorporated

These abilities can be used for 1 rd/lvl. Passive abilities are considered constant effects on the Min-Maarit while discorporated and do not cost any Constitution. Active abilities cost 1 Constitution per round per ability. If at any time the character is not spending Constitution on at least one active ability, discorporation immediately ends. Upon reincarnation, the character must succeed on a DC (11+Constitution lost) Fort save or fall unconscious. A Min-Maarit only regains consciousness from this state of dormancy when his Constitution heals back to its natural maximum or if he succeeds on a Fortitude save (DC 11+ difference in current and max Con). Such a save may be made every 2 days. If a Min-Maarit dies while discorporated, his body is utterly destroyed.

For example, a Min-Maarit character of 12 level with a Constitution of 15 may spend 12 rounds in a discorporated form. During this time, he may spend up to 15 points of Constitution on the active abilities of Kyrmi and Imri. Constitution is paid at the beginning of the character's turn starting the turn after discorporating. If he chooses to end one prematurely but not the other, he may not regain the benefit of the ended ability until he reincarnates and discorporates again. If he spends 4 rounds benefitting from Kyrmi and 3 rounds benefitting from Imri before reincarnating, he must make a DC 18 Fortitude save or fall unconscious. If he fails, he may make a DC 16 Fortitude save to awaken two days later. If he fails that save, he may make a DC 14 Fortitude save to awaken four days after losing consciousness. If he fails that save, he may make a DC 12 Fortitude save to awaken six days later. If he fails all three of these saves, he automatically awakens upon regaining his final needed point of Constitution on the seventh day.

+2 bonus on saves vs. poison and disease: The symbiotes that compose a Min-Maarit can purge the creature of disease agents and virulent toxins more easily than the immune systems of most other creatures.

Weak of Body- Min-Maarit are considered to have an armor check penalty of -1 for all relevant skills except for Hide and Move Silently

Alien- Min-Maarit take a -2 penalty to Charisma-based skill checks when dealing with members of other species because of their esoteric racial philosophy.

Physiologically Discordant- A Min-Maarit cannot benefit from effects that would increase his Constitution score beyond its natural maxiumum. He may still apply ability score increases earned from gaining levels to his Constitution score.

Racial Feats

Obscure
[Min-Maarit]
Your ability to shield your spirit from physical harm increases.
Prerequisite: Min-Maarit, Constitution 11, Concentration 9 Ranks
Benefit: Upon discorporating, you may choose to make a DC 12 Constitution check. If you do, the miss chance granted by Kyrmi increases to 50% for the duration of your discorporation.

Tower Above
[Min-Maarit]
You can ignore some of the limitations of a physical body while interacting with the physical world.
Prerequisite: Min-Maarit, Constitution 11, one other Min-Maarit feat.
Benefit: While discorporated, you gain a fly speed of 30 feet (good) with a maximum height of 40 feet.

Spirit Shield
[Min-Maarit]
Your spirit can adapt to dangers more readily than it could before.
Prerequisite: Min-Maarit, Constitution 13, two other Min-Maarit feats.
Benefit: Upon discorporating, if you choose to engage Imri, you may choose to gain DR 5/physical instead of the normal damage reduction.

Lift the Veil
[Min-Maarit]
Prerequisite: Min-Maarit, Constitution 13, Concentration 18 ranks, two other Min-Maarit feats.
Benefit: Upon discorporating, you may choose to make a DC 12 Constitution check. If you do, you gain the effects of a true seeing spell while discorporated.

Transcend
[Min-Maarit]
You have mastered the Forms completely and have transcended the normal limits for your kind.
Prerequisites: Min-Maarit, Constitution 15, four other Min-Maarit feats.
Benefit: During the course of your discorporation, you may choose to spend a total number of action points equal to your full maximum Constitution modifier times 3 in place of points of Constitution to maintain an active ability. For example, a character with Con 15 could spend a total of 6 action points during the course of his discorporation instead of Constitution.

Temotei
2009-11-26, 07:48 PM
Min-Maarit

Ability Adjustments: +2 Intelligence, -2 Dex, -2 Con
Medium
30 Feet
Low-Light Vision
Discorporate (): A min-maarit may force the symbiotes that compose his being to perform certain extraordinary feats once per day. They gain these abilities according to the following progression:

{table=head]Level|Special
1|Kyrmi
5|Orvri
10|Imri
15|Givri
20|Harbri[/table]

Kyrmi (): Active: The min-maarit gains the benefits of a Blur spell.

Orvri (): Passive: While discorporated, a min-maarit is uninhibited by difficult terrain.

Imri (): Active: The min-maarit gains DR 5/energy.

Givri (): Active: The min-maarit gains darkvision and See Invisibility while discorporated.

Harbri (): Passive: A min-maarit who has mastered the highest form gains a +5 bonus to his Constitution score while discorporated.

These abilities can be used for 1 round/level. Passive abilities are considered constant effects on the min-maarit while discorporated and do not cost any Constitution. Active abilities cost 1 Constitution per round per ability. If at any time the character is not spending Constitution on at least one active ability, discorporation immediately ends. Upon reincarnation, the character must succeed on a DC (11+Constitution lost) Fortitude save or fall unconscious. A min-maarit only regains consciousness from this state of dormancy when his Constitution heals back to its natural maximum or if he succeeds on a Fortitude save (DC 11+ difference in current and max Con). Such a save may be made every 2 days. If a min-maarit dies while discorporated, his body is utterly destroyed.

For example, a min-maarit character of level 12 with a Constitution of 15 may spend 12 rounds in a discorporated form. During this time, he may spend up to 15 points of Constitution on the active abilities of kyrmi and imri. Constitution is paid at the beginning of the character's turn starting the turn after discorporating. If he chooses to end one prematurely but not the other, he may not regain the benefit of the ended ability until he reincarnates and discorporates again. If he spends 4 rounds benefitting from kyrmi and 3 rounds benefitting from imri before reincarnating, he must make a DC 18 Fortitude save or fall unconscious. If he fails, he may make a DC 16 Fortitude save to awaken two days later. If he fails that save, he may make a DC 14 Fortitude save to awaken four days after losing consciousness. If he fails that save, he may make a DC 12 Fortitude save to awaken six days later. If he fails all three of these saves, he automatically awakens upon regaining his final needed point of Constitution on the seventh day.

+2 bonus on saves vs. poison and disease (Ex): The symbiotes that compose a min-maarit can purge the creature of disease agents and virulent toxins more easily than the immune systems of most other creatures.

Weak of Body (): Min-maarit are considered to have an armor check penalty of -1 for all relevant skills except for Hide and Move Silently.

Alien (): Min-maarit take a -2 penalty to Charisma-based skill checks when dealing with members of other species because of their esoteric racial philosophy.

Physiologically Discordant (): A min-maarit cannot benefit from effects that would increase his Constitution score beyond its natural maxiumum. He may still apply ability score increases earned from gaining levels to his Constitution score.

It's really complicated for a race--especially a race with no level adjustment. I fixed up your table, and some formatting issues. In the parentheses after every ability name, insert the type of ability (extraordinary; supernatural; spell-like ability). Honestly, right now, I don't want to look through it all. It just seems to be too much for a race. I'll check back later, though, and read all of it.

Also, for the special abilities, it says you have to "spend Constitution." Does that mean you literally get rid of it to use the abilities, and it regenerates over time, like ability damage?

Hiest, monkey
2009-11-27, 10:36 AM
All of the below is both opinionated and barely substantiated. In addition, I do not know what your thought process was, so I do not understand certain design choices. They are not nessecarily flawed, but I do not see their justification.

Wow, that's like LA +2.
Spell effects, incorporeality, Damage reduction...

The "spending constitution" mechanic is odd.
Perhaps they should just have to make a fort. save to avoid X Con damage.
Add that
"while discorporated, if a Min-Maarit loses X con from failing fort saves they are shunted back into the physical plane. There, they must make X saves to attempt to regain consciousness and avoid further con damage."
Maaaybee.

Also, giving progresively improving abilities is generally only used for acquiring racial Hit Dice. Class levels emphasize choosing a specialization rather than honing their natural abilities, so gaining abilities with levels is odd.

In addition:
+ 2 Int is not worth both -2 con and -2 dex.
One or the other is more balanced.

And another opinion, I don't think it's a good idea to base a set of combat useful racial abilities to a race that, according to the level adjustments, is non-combat oriented.

-4 to charisma checks towards most creatures? In a non-combat player race?
What?

SurlySeraph
2009-11-28, 03:54 PM
All of the below is both opinionated and barely substantiated. In addition, I do not know what your thought process was, so I do not understand certain design choices. They are not nessecarily flawed, but I do not see their justification.

Wow, that's like LA +2.
Spell effects, incorporeality, Damage reduction...

For one round per level, presumably per day, and each round that the character's using those abilities he takes 1 point of Constitution damage, and at the end of using them he has a good chance of falling unconscious. And it takes a long time to get the better abilities. And he can't get CON increases from anything except leveling up. That's definitely not broken, and I'd frankly call it underpowered. However, I'd also call it something that would be better represented by a racial prestige class than by putting it into the racial progression.

Temotei
2009-11-28, 04:14 PM
For one round per level, presumably per day, and each round that the character's using those abilities he takes 1 point of Constitution damage, and at the end of using them he has a good chance of falling unconscious. And it takes a long time to get the better abilities. And he can't get CON increases from anything except leveling up. That's definitely not broken, and I'd frankly call it underpowered. However, I'd also call it something that would be better represented by a racial prestige class than by putting it into the racial progression.

Yeah, I agree. Again, I think it's too complicated for a race. This seems a lot like a racial paragon class with five levels. If you wanted a 3 level paragon class, you could cut out orvri and combine givri and kyrmi, or combine harbri and imri, and combine givri and kyrmi. At the last level, give +2 Int. If you want to keep this as a race, I would change discorporation to be one good ability, then have racial feats to improve it even more. The race, as is, is too weak, and really complicated.