PDA

View Full Version : Putting in Curtains/putting carpets up over windows

Coidzor
2009-11-23, 10:22 PM
Well, I have two good-sized windows (3' by 5' I'm estimating by just looking at the glass part) and an external door (with another window in it) onto the back/side porch in my bedroom.

How does one go about putting in curtains? The basic thing is finding a place that sells curtain rods and some kind of curtain, right?

Only it feels like there's something I'm missing due to being male and having never really dealt with this sort of thing.

I'm fairly certain my windows are a bit drafty and I've already tried closing them up tighter to no real avail.

So I'm entertaining ideas for what to do about it, curtains being one of 'em, heavier curtains though, or something... Maybe something weird like my brother did once when he put up a couple of layers of things, first aluminum foil, then black paper... though in my case I'd probably start adding newspaper for multiple layers of insulation...

Is it possible to find a cheap sort of carpet or rug or something that could be nailed into the wall above the window and cover half of it?

I'm probably thinking about this sort of thing all wrong, aren't I?

Cobra_Ikari
2009-11-23, 10:24 PM
Window covers, corpse smells...

...remind me to never tell you where I live. >.<

Pocketa
2009-11-23, 10:26 PM
I just want to remind you...

When you put up the curtains, especially as a permanent fixture...

Test the idea with a dowel of some sort first to make sure you can actually open your windows after you install them. At my house, we installed curtain rods, but then we were unable to open the windows later when we needed to feed a cord in via the window. One day, you will need to open said windows.

Make sure that you don't block yourself from doing so.

Jack Squat
2009-11-23, 10:38 PM
They do make heavy curtains/drapes, so you shouldn't need to worry too much about patching up with newspapers or anything.

First off, here (http://www.ehow.com/how_9940_install-curtain-rods.html)'s how to install curtain rods. If you need videos, I'm sure there's something on YouTube.

You mention your windows seeming a bit drafty, so check for leaks. Windows lost a lot of heat, so you probably just need curtains, but if there's a draft, something needs to be patched up.

As far as choosing curtains, you'll want something kind of thick and/or insulated if you're losing a significant amount of heat. I'm pretty out of the loop on curtains, but I'd take a stab that you'd want to have at least blackout curtains and an insulating layer of some sort (where your brother's foil came in).

Another option to look into is window film type insulator as well.

Perenelle
2009-11-23, 10:39 PM
Window covers, corpse smells...

...remind me to never tell you where I live. >.<

I'd have to agree with Cobra on this one..
>.>
<.<

Zeb The Troll
2009-11-24, 02:22 AM
Along with installing heavy curtains (make sure you take steps to ensure that what you do will support the weight of the rod and the curtains*), stuff like this (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=61805-1410-V73/9&lpage=none) comes in various and sundry different sizes and is fairly easy to install. Note, however, that it will prevent you from opening the windows later.

*Most often, windows are framed by 2x4's behind the drywall. You'll want to make sure you're tapping into those when you screw the curtain rod to the wall. It's not tough to accomplish, but easy to forget to do. Otherwise, you can get drywall anchors that provide much stability if you have to mount to something other than a stud.

Katana_Geldar
2009-11-24, 03:22 AM
Can you get a studfinder if possible? I have heard you can find studs by tapping on the walls, but don't know how.

Coidzor
2009-11-24, 03:42 AM
Hmm... That's not good. I hope I'll be able to find 'em then. Since... this house was put together by an alcoholic over the course of 20 years and there's still things that haven't been finished...

Zeb The Troll
2009-11-24, 03:52 AM
A studfinder is a cheap (you can find them for as low as $10US) and helpful tool available at any hardware store. Highly recommended for any household that ever intends to put holes in walls. :smallcool:

Alternatively, you can knock on the walls and listen for the part of the wall that's not hollow sounding, but that can lead to false positives.

Also, for a "how to" on hanging the curtain rod, don't be afraid to talk to the folks at the hardware store. Most of them are eager to pass on their knowledge.

Jack Squat
2009-11-24, 06:28 AM
Otherwise, you can get drywall anchors that provide much stability if you have to mount to something other than a stud.

Just to expand on this, if you use anchors, you'll want to use some that are rated for 50 lbs (I always use these (http://cgi.ebay.com/(100)-Zip-It-Self-drilling-50lb-Drywall-Anchors_W0QQitemZ380180194474QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ 20091122?IMSfp=TL091122189006r11970) whenever I hang something), not the ones that are likely to come with your mounting hardware. I always just consider it an insurance policy, meaning I've yet to have one rip out. OTOH, I have a belt/tie hanger that's starting to pull out after a few years that's secured in with the standard ones.

Zeb The Troll
2009-11-24, 06:52 AM
Just to expand on this, if you use anchors, you'll want to use some that are rated for 50 lbs (I always use these (http://cgi.ebay.com/(100)-Zip-It-Self-drilling-50lb-Drywall-Anchors_W0QQitemZ380180194474QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ 20091122?IMSfp=TL091122189006r11970) whenever I hang something), not the ones that are likely to come with your mounting hardware. I always just consider it an insurance policy, meaning I've yet to have one rip out. OTOH, I have a belt/tie hanger that's starting to pull out after a few years that's secured in with the standard ones.Indeed. Here's (http://www.doityourself.com/stry/hangheavymirror) a link that shows the different kinds of things available. For heavy curtains and the rod to support it, I would probably go with the molly bolts listed in the middle.

Jacklu
2009-11-24, 01:31 PM
And here I was thinking this was a thread I could contribute to. <.< >.> I was going to praise your initiative in covering up those demon portals that are windows. Carry on then.

Quincunx
2009-11-24, 04:25 PM
(sigh) It's liquid which fuels the portals, not solid reflective surfaces. Moving on. . .Coidzor, look into window sealing film for a cheaper, more insulating, less permanent solution. It's like shrink-wrap for your window. Not to say that curtains are a bad idea, but that if drafts are the problem then sealing them will better solve it.

golentan
2009-11-24, 05:36 PM
(sigh) It's liquid which fuels the portals, not solid reflective surfaces. Moving on. . .Coidzor, look into window sealing film for a cheaper, more insulating, less permanent solution. It's like shrink-wrap for your window. Not to say that curtains are a bad idea, but that if drafts are the problem then sealing them will better solve it.

Glass IS a liquid.

If the draftiness is still there after upgrading your windows, curtains won't help significantly IME. It's probably chinks in the walls, especially if the house wasn't built to code. If you've got a wood frame house, especially, it's easy for drafts to get in. This isn't a bad thing, particularly, if you're not uncomfortable. The air in sealed houses tends to be far more polluted, filled with radon, and with harmful organics than outside air. The one person I knew who made it past 100 always slept with her windows open even when it snowed.

Jack Squat
2009-11-24, 06:32 PM
Glass IS a liquid.

No it's not. It's an amporphous solid (no real order of molecule arrangement), but it's a solid nonetheless.

EDIT: as far as fixing a drafty window, you can look at replacing/adding weatherstripping (if it's where the window meets the frame) or caulking up the frame (if the draft is seeping anywhere that doesn't move). Just beware that silicone smells horrible, and that you have to let it set for 24 hours.

Ashtar
2009-11-24, 06:51 PM
If you like jury rigging and fun stuff, Swedish winter camoflage tank nets make wonderful curtains. Nice patterns, solid, cheap and easily disposable when you're done with them. I got them at the local military surplus. It's solid enough that you don't need to sew anything into it, you can just punch any thing through and hang it up by that (yes, even paperclips work. Thread that on a bar and hey presto! Curtains!

Don Julio Anejo
2009-11-24, 06:55 PM
Why not just use caulk or wood filler on the drafty holes and paint over it with nail polish or something like that? Or is the draft coming from the glass panes? Then superglue or some other transparent glue might work pretty well provided you're careful to only put it in corners.