PDA

View Full Version : A Short Adventure - Level 20 module

rockdeworld
2009-11-24, 12:04 AM
A group of hardy adventurers, powerful even by the standards of legends among warriors, bides in a demiplane created by the resident wizard - Bahat'aman. At that particular moment, Bahat'aman has just finished receiving a Sending spell from a contact on the material plane.

Local dragon trouble. King worried. Offering reward 10000 gp or royal favor for adventurers to face dragon. Urgent. --John Smith

Shyftir
2009-11-24, 12:38 AM
"Really, Baha, another dragon? You would think that by now all the rulers on the Prime Material would have their own dragon removal systems." Once again Lefaux disparaged the general lack of any forethought to be found in any given king's useless royal head.

He had been in this business for a long time. That business being the classic job of any mercenary/gladiator/adventurer, killing creatures and people for the benefit of those who could pay for said service. Those years of experience had taught him many things but most importantly "Kings are fools."

"So, which king? How much? Any clue why the beastie is throwing a fit? Let me guess. Found out the last sacrifice wasn't really a virgin?" Derrian Lefaux couldn't help himself, the joke was an old one true, but none-the-less it always made him smile.

hoosier
2009-11-24, 03:42 PM
Sync the Horrible, as he was known in the seas of the lands he came from, leans against a nearby railing and slowly clinks his ring'd fingers on the metal.

He is a tall, dashing figure, dressed in a long, extravagant full-coat, black with scarlet sashing, with a white undershirt of fine silk and black trousers. Long brown hair falls to his shoulders, kept off his face by a black and silver bandanna. He wears a short red and gold cloak, and from his belt hang two scabbards and two wands.

"Ten thousand gold is squid-piss. I'd like to hear more about this royal favor. Perhaps the king had a virgin daughter he refused to give up? He might think me a better husband for her than a dragon."

He grins widely, showing teeth shining with gold and mithril.

industrious
2009-11-24, 03:59 PM
"Must you always be a slave to your lesser urges, Sync? Defeating that succubus in Arl would have been far easier if you showed some willpower occasionally." The famed wizard Bahat'amen hardly looked heroic. With unkempt hair, tarred grey clothes, and a short and slender frame, the man looked more like a unsavory innkeeper than anything else. "And I think we should help the king. While the gold is unneeded, I would like to make some improvements to Sanctum Sequester. "

Indeed, the demiplane was hardly the height of opulence. A plain, grey circle circumscribed by a bookshelf, with several chairs, beds, and a writing desk, the mage's retreat was nigh uninhabitable. The wizard had long regretted not adding some way to obtain food, or do laundry, or any amount of things he had forgotten while crafting the plane from the raw aether.

Shyftir
2009-11-24, 07:12 PM
"Well, Sync, I agree the cash is in of itself a rather useless gesture, but you forget, 'Where there's a dragon there's a horde'."

The grey-eyed old knife fighter (Most knife fighter's never reach 25) produced a dagger out of nowhere and rolled it back and forth across his knuckles. The talent was useless in battle but he was fond of it anyway.

"Aye, Baha, this place is less than magnificent, almost as shabby as your cloak. Very well, let's get about this. No point in waiting for that infuriating paladin and his cronies to get there first."

The knife disappeared as quickly as it had appeared before and the mercenary looked back and forth between his companions expectantly.

hoosier
2009-11-24, 09:27 PM
The pirate chuckled, turning to look at Lefaux.

"Even dragon hoards leave something to be desired these days, old boy. But if there is one thing I've learned from running around with you scoundrels, it is that when the wise Bahat'amen thinks something, you ought'er do it."

He says the last part with a bow to the wizard, and a wink to the knife-fighter.

industrious
2009-11-25, 08:19 AM
"Yes, yes, quite right." the wizard says offhandedly. "Now, let me see what I can remember about dragons, and if I can pinpoint exactly which one it is, given their usual migrating patterns, territories, and favored locations."

Knowledge(arcana) check:[roll0]
Knowledge(nature) check:[roll1]

The archmage stares into the distance for a moment, then shakes his head. "Right. Here's what I know..." After his brief summary of the local draconic situation, the short man begins to stroke his hideous, tangled goatee. It was supposed to make him look wiser; instead, it looks as if he had forgotten to shave...for weeks."With what I know, I suggest we wait one day before we face the creature. Methinks that some preperation is in order. As it is, we cannot leave the Sanctum until I refresh my spells. I...ah...forgot to prepare the necessary one. That's what I get for not checking the shelf at 41 degrees. Sorry."

The mage, who had power enough to create a demiplane, who had helped slay the dread Balor Razgarth, who had invented the Bahat'amen Unified Theory of Planar Transit, who had managed to stay oblivious to the numerous marriage proposals and propositions that he had accumulated over the years, had what might be called a "sheepish" expression on his face.

rockdeworld
2009-11-25, 08:43 AM
For industrious:
Bahat'amen recalls that the area John Smith lives in is right next to a mountain range called the Cloudtouch mountains, which are famous for being ice-capped all year round, even though they aren't actually tall enough for ice caps. Given that, he extrapolates that if there are any dragons in the area, it is probably a white or silver dragon. If the dragon is white, he is sure the king's offer is true. If it's silver, then more subtle tactics are required. Many facts about dragons come to mind, but nothing about this one specifically.

industrious
2009-11-25, 11:49 PM
OoC: Do I know anything about white/silver dragons in general? I'd assume I'd know practically everything about their stats, due to the really high result. But I don't want to metagame too much.

rockdeworld
2009-11-26, 03:40 AM
(Now and in the future, I'll put OOC information in spoilers)
Yes - from experience and the high knowledge check you've pretty much memorized the d20srd entry on white/silver dragons. Next time I'll make that clearer. Also, if/once you tell everyone else about it, they can feel free to read the spoiler also.

industrious
2009-11-26, 07:44 PM
ooc: I can change my spells, then. Right?

Shyftir
2009-11-26, 09:18 PM
"Of course Baha, wouldn't dream of rushing the great wizard. So a white or a silver huh? I'd bet on white most silvers aren't much for trouble causing, after all."

After piddling around with his knives some more, he addressed Sync.

"Hey Sync, remember that crazy gnome illusionist Gormo Fizzlegear? Well I was working with him once back in the old days when Old Kulin was still lording over that city he conquered in the west. Gormo pulled the most amazing trick on the old buzzard. The job we'd been given was to rescue some King's daughter Kulin had captured. Well, Gormo built this incredibly believable black dragon illusion and marched the thing right up to the gates. Kulin just about pissed himself. Anyway make a long story short Gormo had the thing ask for a royal virgin. Now you know how Kulin's little wenches are, none of them qualified, so the fool turned over the princess. Boy was he ticked when Gormo dropped the illusion just as I cut her free from the stake."

The knife fighter grinned again. "Ah those were the days, just don't make evil overlords like that anymore." He turned to the wizard. "Hey Baha, how bout you just drop me and Captain Horrible here in the closest town to the action so we can gather some more information? and get some decent food while we're at it." He said the last under his breath but audibly, still looking at the wizard, a bored expression on his face.

industrious
2009-11-26, 09:29 PM
"Ummm...I could send you to the town directly, but we wouldn't have the full benefits of the Sanctum. The plane's suffused with positive energy; we heal much faster here. But I can send you to to the town, and join up with you in...ten, maybe twelve hours. Yes. I could do that. Get me a bottle of wine while you're there. And I did apologize for the food."

And with that, the wizard raises his hand, and with a word and a gesture that if rotated 47 degrees clockwise would be obscene, forces the veil of reality apart. Beyond a shimmering circle lies the village of John Smith, near the Cloudtouch mountains.

Casting Gate. Until nine hours pass, I'm effectively out of the game.

hoosier
2009-11-27, 01:04 AM
“Remember Gormo Fizzlegear?! I gave the bugger his nickname. Once sold me and Garrison Greenteeth a bad wand…damn thing shot two half-assed fireballs and blew up in Garrison’s hands. Nearly killed him. I hadn‘t heard that particular tale of him though. I can see the look on that lecher Kulin's face.”

Sync gazes off into the nowhere of the past, waxing reminiscent for a moment.

“Only a few months before that bastard Garrick double-crossed me at the Battle of Conrad’s Crossing. I almost regretted gutting him.”

The swashbuckler seems to return, and looks at the wizard.

“But yar, might be Lefaux and I could do our sort of work before the whole party goes blustering in like minotaurs in a magic shop. Gathering information, as they say.”

The pirate vaults himself over the railing, dropping softly, and steps over to the portal, ready to leave immediately.

“Well knifer, shall we? Oh, and by the way Bahat’amen, that food you’ve been conjuring has been damned horrible. Didn’t say anything before, but now I won’t be seeing you for a sleep, I figured you should know. What do you call those damned things…”hot pockets”? Wouldn‘t pay a copper for a box of em‘. As fer' the wine, a good dry white, like usual?”

((OOC: Why don't all PbP games, all DnD games for that matter, start in media res like this? Camaraderie is so much easier to develop if you can just make up your past history as you go! ))

industrious
2009-11-27, 01:27 AM
"Exactly. Make sure its really dry, though; the last time you got white, it was far too sweet. See you in a few."

OoC: This really is how PbP should go. Make up all sorts of noodle incidents, camaraderie all around.

Shyftir
2009-11-27, 02:56 AM
Lafaux

"Yes, yes, the fine stuff, we all know your tastes, wizard." Lafaux too hopped down and stepped through the portal. He turned and waved at the shabbily dressed mage as the portal closed.

"So Sync what should I call you this time? Last time I used your 'real' name half a bar full of 'heroes' tried to take you for bounty. It's especially frustrating to have to subdue without killing that many well intention morons. Lucky for them we had Baha with us, somebody mighta got hurt." He looked over to his piratical friend. "Well somebody else..." He broke out into a laugh as they headed toward the rather provincial little town.

rockdeworld
2009-11-27, 04:32 PM
Well it certainly makes it easier on me, and it makes sense for a lot of characters.

I'm not sure Complete_Sin will be joining, but if he doesn't then someone can make a second character if you want.

@industrious: It looks like you guys have already figured it out. I would say that changing your spells after making the knowledge check required the 9 hours rest/prep.
The party (short of Bahat'amen) steps through the gate onto the grassy base of a mountain that rises a few thousand feet off to the right. The mountain is part of a range adjacent to the adventurers that extends far in both directions. A forest starts at the base of the mountain and goes up, but dies away at ground level.

A dirt road that runs next to the adventurers and into a small village starting a few yards away. Another branch of the road extends from the middle of the village off to the left, heading into the distance. The village itself is made up of less than twenty total buildings, which are a mix of straw and wood and no more than one story. The road runs between the houses, and a few people are walking outside on the road. A few notice the adventurers coming through the gate, and come closer to see them.

Within a moment the town is abuzz with the news and the party finds itself surrounded by thirty or more curious townsfolk, though the gate is gone. One of them makes his way through the crowd to stand at the front facing the group, a slightly puzzled look on his face. He is a middle-aged man with a graying beard and hair.

"I guess you are Bahat'amen's friends?" He asks, confused.

Complete_Sin
2009-11-27, 09:09 PM
"Hey guys" Jenome says walking threw the croud to stand beside them. "Long time no see" He says shaking syncs hand.

The large centar looking man with a brass arm and wings turns around to face the man that had commented on the group.

"Hey you guys wanna go grab a bite to eat i know a great store, they even made a special place for me to sit" He smiles sheepishly.

Shyftir
2009-11-28, 06:53 AM
"Yes, we are associates of Bahat'amen." Derrian gave the man a lopsided grin and started to ask about some wine for Baha, when the odd creature came walking up.

"... oh hello, Jenome, I was wondering if Baha was planning on bringing you in on this little expedition." Lafaux took the being's presence in stride or at least bluffed it very well. He turned back to the man who had greeted them. "John Smith, I presume? We came ahead of our esteemed wizard friend in order to obtain more information about the situation perhaps you could provide some plot-exposition details for us."

rockdeworld
2009-11-28, 01:39 PM
An edit since Complete_Sin's character was determined to be against the rules and he hasn't posted an edit.
The group of villagers hushes as Jenome strides forward. They stare at him with open mouths - unsure of exactly what has just come into their midst, and wondering at his mechanical arms and wings. Even the gray-haired man is taken aback for a brief moment.

Then reality seems to ripple around the centaur-like creature, and in an instant he is gone, leaving only empty space in his wake. Confused, the villagers converse among themselves, but quiet down when the gray-haired man re-approaches the group and begins to speak.

"Yes... That is, yes, I am John Smith." You note that as he says that, old toned muscles ripple under his shirt, and he stands a little taller. John turns toward the villagers. "Alright everyone, it's just an adventuring group here to help the king. Go on back to your work."

With a little more encouraging, they do so. Then John returns his attention to the group.

"I do smithing work for the king - his castle is down that direction." He points to the road heading out of the village away from the mountains. "I've heard some interesting news about the dragon who lives in these mountains, but I think the others in our village may know more than I do. Why don't you talk to some of them, and then come over to my house afterwords? I have drinks at least, and a place we can sit and talk."

So saying, provided the adventurers have nothing else to add, John turns around and heads back to one of the houses on the edge of the village - one of the few with a chimney, though it issues no smoke at the moment.

Industrious can join in after any Gather Information checks.

hoosier
2009-11-29, 12:48 PM
Ever unsure of what to make of the creature, Sync returns Jenome's handshake nods at him.

"Well, I'll see what talk I can rustle up."

Sync asks around at the brothels, taverns and inns for any information about the dragon, the king, and John Smith.

Gather Information [roll0]
Gather Information [roll1]
Gather Information [roll2]

Shyftir
2009-11-29, 06:10 PM
"Right, I'll do the usual." Lafaux is very aware that he is unlikely to learn much by pumping people for information. So instead he does the rounds to hit up any taverns/inns where people talk freely. He slips up to the bar and begins to drink, then acts as if he's deep in his cups and listens hoping to over here something useful.

[spoiler]
Bluff to act drunk [roll0]

Listen to over hear things [roll1]

in case of another inn

Bluff [roll2]

Listen [roll3]

rockdeworld
2009-11-30, 12:48 AM
Not sure what Complete_Sin is going to do with his character sheet, so I'll post this in the meantime. Industrious you can join in after this post.
Sync and Lefaux go around town looking for a tavern and find the house of a villager who has brewed up a few gallons of ale, with several people around already. They quiet as the two adventurers approach, but start back up again as the pair joins in the drinking and merriment (or pretend to at least).

Through speaking with the various people around, Sync learns that that a white dragon lives in the mountains nearby, going by the name of Krikk, who has been around as long as anyone can remember. Despite the mountain range's proper name being "Cloudtouch," the villagers all refer to the mountains as "Krikk's range." Krikk also has a lieutenant of sorts - a large bear named Maximus - who acts as Krikk's tax collector, taking money from the villagers. The villagers aren't especially resentful at Krikk or Maximus because they always leave the villagers with enough to support themselves, and Krikk has even defended the village once or twice from barbarian attacks. Lately Maximus has been around more often than usual, but he hasn't been taking any money, so no one knows for sure what he's up to.

The local king who claims this land is named Heldar. King Heldar has opposed Krikk over the years by sending heroes and mercenaries up into the mountains to confront her. The heroes never return, and the less scrupulous mercenaries often come back weighed down with money or gold after striking some kind of deal. They say they cannot talk about their agreement, but invariably they later perform some errand or duty on the dragon’s behalf. Regardless, Krikk has not troubled any ruler or warlord much. However, King Heldar resents Krikk's presence, and wants to get rid of her - possible to appropriate the tax presently extorted by her for himself.

John Smith is a local blacksmith, who frequently does work for the king - making horseshoes and the like. He visits the tavern when he's able to, but his work for the king can sometimes take up a lot of his time. The villagers generally view him as a good man.

In addition to hearing some of what Sync learns, Lefaux easily bluffs the locals into believing his is an easy drunk, and joins in their camaraderie. Most of what he hears is useless information - men talking about their work, dreams, and even asking Lefaux about what he does. He notes however that the men aren't terribly happy with King Heldar - half think of him as an invading conquerer, trying to extend his reach over Krikk's lands, while half think he should have gotten rid of Krikk long ago, and is pretty much useless as a king - except for taxing them, of course.

industrious
2009-12-02, 09:12 PM
The air around the village begins to still. Strange noises come from nowhere, and fade away just as quickly. At the town square, sparks begin flying out of the town well, and the waters begin to bubble. The sky darkens, and lightning crashes inside the heavens. An outline of a man emerges, glowing brilliant white. Everybody is gathered around the apparition. Something big is about to happen.

Behind the crowd, Bahat'amen casually walks up to his friends. "Something interesting going on?" And the world returns to normal.

hoosier
2009-12-02, 09:41 PM
No longer surprised by the wizard's entrances, Sync greets his friend heartily and recounts what he and Lefaux discovered gathering information in the village.

"Quite a doozy," the pirate admits.

"I reckon we ought to hear this king's story before we do anything else though. No one likes kings. And this Maximus character seems like he might be the dragon's weak link, if yar catch my meaning. If'n we could have a few words with him alone, that is, without his dragon, we might be able to extract some information about said dragon. And it will mean we won't have to deal with a giant bear an' a dragon at the same time."

The pirate reaches into his pack and pulls out a bottle of wine, dusting it off to reveal the label.

"One of the villagers had this saved for a special occasion, but he took a gold piece for it quick enough. Nothing Elvish, but a good year," the pirate concludes, handing the bottle to Bahat'amen.

@ Shyftir Heh, sorry about that.

Shyftir
2009-12-02, 09:43 PM
ninja'd!!!

industrious
2009-12-04, 07:29 PM
"This is good. Not elven, but still good. I had a bottle of this back during the siege of Tristanholt. You remember; that incident with the king's daughter and the tangerine..." The wizard laughs. "Wonderful times."

"As for the bear, I'm inclined to agree with you. We find the bear, we ask it a few questions, and then we can determine a better course of action."

Shyftir
2009-12-04, 09:19 PM
Derrian fondles the knife which no one recalled him drawing and grins wickedly. "Let's go bear hunting, boys."

He stood up and looked at the others. "I believe the bear was last seen to the north collecting our dragon friend's 'tribute.' at least that was the most recent story I overheard. Do you have better information Sync?" He glanced at the piratical rogue clearly wanting to get on with it.

rockdeworld
2009-12-05, 06:19 PM
OOC: Since Complete_Sin left, I've edited my response to his first post.

hoosier
2009-12-07, 10:15 AM
"Nah, that sound about right. This should be fun."

The pirate seems eager for action.

rockdeworld
2009-12-10, 03:23 AM
For goodness sake, do something so I can tell you the results of your actions.
A thunderous crash is heard, and a giant blue creature with a beard (which Bahat'amen immediately identifies as a frost giant jarl (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/giant.htm#frostGiantJarl)) explodes from the forest edge and begins running towards the village, greataxe in hand.

Shyftir
2009-12-10, 03:53 AM
Initiative: [roll0]

The crashing sound incites an instant reaction from Lefaux whose hands are suddenly filled with daggers of pure force seemingly from nowhere. As soon as the giant reaches range he unleashes a veritable tide of daggers.

Holds action until in range.
Free action Feint to cause the Jarl to be flatfooted. Takes 10, total of 37.
Full round attack action using palm throw, dead-eye shot and rapid shot.
Each shot throwing two daggers and adding insightful strike bonus.
set 1
[roll1]
[roll2] [roll3] If feint is successful add [roll4] sneak attack damage.
set 2
[roll5]
[roll6] [roll7]
set 3
[roll8]
[roll9] [roll10]
set 4
[roll11]
[roll12] [roll13]
set 5
[roll14]
[roll15] [roll16]

crit is 17-20 x2 plus sneak attack damage from telling blow I'll roll the extra damage in another post if necessary.

Shyftir
2009-12-10, 03:58 AM
ooc: extra rolls sorry.

set 1 is a one so whiff.
set 2 is a crit threat, power critical so +4 on crit confirmation.
[roll0]
if that hits extra damage
[roll1][roll2] and [roll3] for sneak attack.

industrious
2009-12-10, 06:46 AM
Initiative:[roll0]

"...Interesting."

Bahat'amen reacts differently than his fellow comrades. Closing the distance between them to 30ft, he unleashes his arcane might, scorching the giant with waves of heat.

Moving to a distance 30ft away from the giant. Using Mastery of Elements to turn Shivering Touch from a [Cold] spell to a [Fire] spell. Casting Shivering Touch, for 18 DEX damage on a ranged touch attack.

[roll1]

Note: if the Jarl moves into closer than 20 to Bahat'amen, the wizard, as an immediate action, will put up a wall warding, such that the Jarl will be running into said wall. The warding will consist of a Blue and an Indigo veil, requiring two Will Saves against DC 29. If the first one fails, the Jarl is sent to the the first layer of hell, in the middle of a battle of the Blood War. If the second fails, he goes insane a la the insanity spell.

rockdeworld
2009-12-11, 10:23 PM
Sync is suddenly distracted by one of the village women running for cover. Meanwhile Lefaux and Bahat'amen head off to engage the Jarl.

Lefaux wins the initiative, and his daggers fly toward the giant. While the first two miss, four hit and deal damage. The rest, however fall off the creature without breaking its skin.

Bahat'amen flies forward and blasts the creature with a fiery ray that visibly slows, but doesn't stop it drops the frost giant like a 3000lb sack of bricks. It falls to the ground with a huge bang that makes the earth shake. It appears helpless.

Shivering Touch deals 3d6 damage to FGJ's Dex, not automatically 18, unless I've missed something :smallconfused:
Bahat'amen immediately throws up a wall of violet and indigo flashing colors. Continuing its rush, the giant runs straight into the wall, and somehow makes it through. As Bahat'amen is the closest to the giant, it swings its gigantic greataxe at him, slicing through his robe and cutting to the skin. The wizard instantly feels the sharp pain of poison in his bloodstream, and the unholy aura of the giant suppressing his strength.

Bahat'amen takes 29 damage.
Industrious roll a fortitude save against DC 12, with -2 from FGJ's Aura of Despair

industrious
2009-12-11, 10:40 PM
In the recruitment thread you allowed non-temporal planar traits. My body is in Sanctum Sequester, therefore I am affected by the demiplane's traits. One of said traits is that all spell prepared there are affected as by the Maximize Spell metamagic feat at no cost. You did approve it; I explained the traits I had requested. Hence, 18 DEX damage.

EDIT: And how did it make the saves? Did you roll here, or out of the forum?

industrious
2009-12-11, 10:44 PM
Rolling, just in case: [roll0] Forgot the -2, but I still make it with 15.
And I have DR 3/Cold Iron AND Silver. So 26 damage, again, just in case.

rockdeworld
2009-12-11, 10:56 PM
Edit complete.

In the recruitment thread you allowed non-temporal planar traits. My body is in Sanctum Sequester, therefore I am affected by the demiplane's traits. One of said traits is that all spell prepared there are affected as by the Maximize Spell metamagic feat at no cost. You did approve it; I explained the traits I had requested. Hence, 18 DEX damage.

EDIT: And how did it make the saves? Did you roll here, or out of the forum?

That's fine then - I didn't know you had used Astral Projection to appear here, but I'll keep that in mind.

FGJ made the saves with amazing dice rolls, for which I used the d20srd dice roller. Also, I added in your DR beforehand on FGJ's attack - it was originally 32 damage, -3 for DR. But that's moot now.

Lefaux's turn again.
Behind them, Lefaux and Bahat'amen notice people running for their homes. Sync is helping some of the slower ones get to a safe place.

industrious
2009-12-12, 12:00 AM
I used AP to get to the village. I also cast sequester on my astral cord, so it's invisible and immune to divination magic.

Sanctum Sequester Statistics

180-ft demiplane on Ethereal Plane.

positive-dominant plane.

Limited Magic-Only Arcane Spells prepared from a spellbook that has had at least three spells written in it on the plane work.
Enhanced Magic-All spells prepared from a spellbook that has had at least three spells written in it on the plane can have the Maximize Spell metamagic feat applied to them at no cost.
Description of plane: a thin iron disk, surrounded by a sky of complete darkness. Encompassing the edge is a single bookshelf. There is a desk, a chair, and a bed in the center of the room.

Have you tried the forum roller?

IC: Looking at the fallen Jarl, Bahat'amen checks if there are any ongoing effects on the giant.

Using permanencied Arcane Sight as standard action.

rockdeworld
2009-12-12, 01:24 PM
I use the forum roller when I'm a player. As a DM, I don't because it would be trivially easy for any player to find the rolls I made. If you'd rather I be held more accountable, I could roll on The Tangled Web or some other site and link the rolls here after an encounter.

For reference, here are the rolls I made for this battle (before applying modifiers):
Average HP for an FGJ (231 HP)
12 Initiative
18 and 20 Will saves
17 Melee attack
Bahat'amen notices a weak divine magical aura of transmutation surrounding the giant, and with a little concentration detects a weak arcane and some weak divine magical abilities (all currently available for use).

industrious
2009-12-14, 08:35 AM
The wizard attempts to identify the auras.

Taking 10 on all Spellcraft checks for a total of 46.

"What do you think, boys? Just kill him, or try to get some information out of him first?"

Shyftir
2009-12-14, 02:44 PM
"I for one am curious why a single random Frost Giant is attacking an entire village boldly and with no apparent reason or strategy." the knife fighter smirked and walked up to the Jarl, looking down with disdain.

industrious
2009-12-14, 03:13 PM
"I think I can...persuade him to tell us." Bahat'amen smirks. The ratty looking wizard steps back from the unconscious Jarl. "Who do you think I am, Jarl? What master sent you like a lamb to the slaughter; whose pawn are you?" He points a single extended digit at the Jarl. There is a flash of light, and the sound of shattered glass.

"I'm the Pelor-burned Bahat'amen."

Casting Mindrape(DC 30). After you tell me if he made the save, I'll supply the new memories/alignment.

rockdeworld
2009-12-14, 04:29 PM
It fails the save against Mindrape.
Bahat'amen notices the active aura on the creature is that of a faint transmutation. The giant does not answer Bahat'amen's questions however, partially because it cannot take any actions aside from involuntary ones such as breathing and blinking, and partially because it is face down in the dirt.

Upon casting his spell, Bahat'amen feels as though he has complete access to the creature's mind, memories, and form of thinking, including the ability to alter those mental processes as he sees fit.

industrious
2009-12-14, 06:03 PM
The shabbily-dressed wizard smiles. Working a new mind is always...interesting. First, he searches his mind for any information on why he attacked the village, who sent him, any connection to the dragon at all. Then, he changes the attitude of the Jarl, shifting his alignment from evil to Chaotic Good.

Once I get more information, I'll be altering his memories.

rockdeworld
2009-12-15, 12:52 AM
Bahat'amen learns that the giant was part of an ice giant tribe that was overtaken by another group of adventurers, who attacked their village in the mountains and killed everyone. The giant himself was attacked by one of their party alone, but slew him and returned to the village only to find it burned to the ground, no more than ashes. All alone, he wandered the mountains until he saw this village and, filled with rage and grief, attacked it - first casting Bull's Strength on himself, then charging out into the open.

industrious
2009-12-15, 12:59 AM
This is what now happened:

The Jarl never fit in when he was at his village. It was he who burnt it to the ground, after they tried to kill him for being different, for having a conscience(think Drizz't, if you don't mind). Then, with the help of the mighty wizard Bahat'amen and his companions, he accepted his nature after many years wandering in an existential fugue. Then his memories grow fuzzy; he remembers a white dragon...words to a compulsion spell...attacking his best friends...his friends having to knock him out and bind him...the spell being broken.

The giant opens his eyes. Bahat'amen smiles at the Jarl. "Welcome back." Bahat'amen then uses one of the three daily uses of his vest of the archmage's pearl of power function, to recover his Mindrape spell.

rockdeworld
2009-12-15, 01:55 AM
Whether or not the giant reacts, the party cannot tell, since its lack of dexterity prevents it from even groaning in recognition, or to signal a desire for air.

hoosier
2009-12-15, 05:50 PM
Sync finally reappears, having helped the more attractive of the village women to safety.

"Sorry 'bout that mates, but I see Bahat'amen has things well in hand. What did ya do to him? I'm not sure the rascal can even breathe."

Sorry about the absence, I had been checking the thread off and on and somehow never noticed a page 2.

industrious
2009-12-15, 05:57 PM
"When my spell wears off in a few minutes, we'll have known him for several years." Bahat'amen smiles. "And he'll love hot pockets. Somebody has to."

rockdeworld
2009-12-16, 01:01 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, the dex damage caused by [Fire] Shivering Touch is healed at the rate of 1/day.

Shyftir
2009-12-16, 11:42 AM
"Actually, Baha, I think we should get a cleric. He seems pretty toasted. Big Blue probably won't recover too very soon, on his own." Lafaux was once again toying with a knife that no one had seen him draw, a habit largely ignored by his friends, but disturbing to some new acquaintances. He tapped his knife on his chin and added, "Baha? What in the Nine Hells are hot pockets?"

industrious
2009-12-16, 12:12 PM
"What you were eating in Sanctum Sequester. I have to get rid of them somehow."

Shyftir
2009-12-17, 11:55 AM
"And you made him like them? That's low even for you Baha." The knife fighter chuckled under his breathe and then turned and walked away. "I'll find the local excuse for a cleric. Try not to disable anymore random people while I'm gone alright?"

industrious
2009-12-17, 12:29 PM
"That was ONE TIME!...and he called me an idiot. Not my fault he was the duke of Ayethilm."

rockdeworld
2009-12-18, 09:33 AM
While the three are talking, John Smith walks up to the group.

"Aha, Bahat'amen! I thought you would show up. Thank you for protecting us." He exclaims, and then to answer Lefaux's question. "We don't actually have a cleric in this town - anyone sick enough for that is taken to the king's castle. What seems to be the problem?"

I'm going to be out for a few days, back on Sunday latest.

industrious
2010-01-09, 05:31 PM
"Then we will leave him here. While an ally would be wonderful, it is not necessary. Now then, where is that bear?"

rockdeworld
2010-01-11, 12:44 PM
"Ah yes, well..." John looks around at the environment, and then points at one of the mountains, behind two closer ones, with a peak extending into the clouds above.

"That's the one you want, or so I've heard. Good luck!" He says, and heads back to his house.