PDA

View Full Version : [4e] The Chaos Scar

Jokes
2009-11-24, 07:36 AM
-The Safehaven Tavern-

Nestled just east of the old Kings Wall, the small village of Scarmeet is a common stop over for many merchant caravans and travellers heading north to the dwarf holds, or south to the south coast. Thus, the Safehaven tavern sees a lot of traffic itself, and has become the unofficial hub for adventurers. On one wall is a large bulletin board, in the center of which is this message-

Welcome to a brave new world of adventure! Recent activity inside the Chaos Scar has forced the Empire to take action! Treasure! Excitement! Power!

The board has been thoroughly defaced over the years (the word 'Empire' is barely legible). You are pretty sure the Empire has never even been here to authorise such a message. There are currently two items on the bounty board.

~Reward~
Bullywugs have been attacking local merchants passing along the Kings Wall. I am offering a 5gp reward for each Bullywug killed.
-Uther Ironhelm

~Help!~
Hearty adventurers needed to rescue my kin, Nebin, Wayan, Shaena, and Lani, who were kidnapped by blue demons inside the Chaos Scar.
-Jangi Blackstream

Next to the board is a map of the area, with two pins stuck in near the Kings Wall.

A- Bullywugs
B- Kidnapping
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/chaos_scar_map_lg.jpg

So, Choose Your Adventure!

Shyftir
2009-11-24, 07:28 PM
"Hmmm... demons, eh? The Goddess would probably appreciate the end of that little problem," The wolfish young man reached up and removed the posted broadsheet and turned flashing a very toothy smile. "and my companions will most likely appreciate the reward."

He made his way across the busy tavern his heavy cloak somehow managing to not disturb any of the mugs of ale it nearly brushed by. Upon reaching the table in the back where the motley crew of adventurers he currently associated himself with were sitting, he thumped the paper down on the table. "Rescue mission, four targets, blue demons. Looks like a solid job." The shifter sat down and took a long pull on the cider he had ordered, then raised his golden eyes and waited for his teammates' reaction.

Jokes
2009-11-25, 02:37 AM
[Since it's unanimous]

A halfling notices Lonepine rip the notice from the board and hops over to your table excitedly. "Oh, are you going to find my cousins? Oh, please you have to help them!" The halfling introduces himself as Loni Blackstream, Jangi's nephew. He was travelling with his cousins when the troupe was attacked by blue demons, and, oddly, a one-armed gnoll. "Nebin and Wayan disappeared a few days before this, and Shaena and Lani during that attack."

You head out shortly after, into the Chaos Scar and travel north along the Kings Wall. A depression in the valley floor leads to a wide cavern that slopes gently downward. You don’t have to be a tracker to tell that many people have walked in and out of this cavern recently, following a single-file trail— tracks from boots and tracks from small feet, likely children or halflings. The cavern slopes gently down, turning into a wide corridor.

[Map (http://www.editgrid.com/user/jokes/Chaos_Scar)
Start in the A3-C4 area. If you progress further, there is a door at Q5.
Please roll perception checks, or state your passive perception.]

Shyftir
2009-11-25, 03:23 AM
"Seems a likely place, I'll scout ahead." Lonepine stepped past his companions and raised a finger to his lips than made his way to the entryway(E4).

Stealth [roll0]

The avenger peaked into the next area looking for enemies.

Perception [roll1]

Ozreth
2009-11-25, 03:32 AM
Faefae

"Oh boy! I'd say this is my first real adventure!" says Faefae as she looks around nervously, "Good thing I'm not scared! Wait until the folks back home hear that I rescued somebody! I'll show them!"

Perception 1d20+1

Jokes
2009-11-25, 03:36 AM
The cavern isn't well lit, but Lonepine thinks he can see something carved out of the far wall, but isn't quite sure what it is. (R2)

[Ozreth, dice rolls fail if you preview the post first. You'll note after previewing the roll turns into [roll0], so you can change it back to your normal dice roll before you finalise the post. You can roll again here or OOC, but you can't edit rolls back into posts]

Ozreth
2009-11-25, 03:37 AM
(Not sure why my roll isn't working...)

perception [roll0]

Ozreth
2009-11-25, 03:42 AM
Faefae

Faefae advances forward as quietly as possible, staying behind Lopine.

Stealth [roll0]

Mr. Mud
2009-11-25, 02:52 PM
Efacot trails far enough behind, but close enough to follow the group. He draws his glaive, and he tries to see the mark of the far wall.
Perception: [roll0]

Shyftir
2009-11-25, 03:07 PM
Lonepine

"Shh.. gnome." Lonepine was frustrated at his companions complete lack of stealth. "Stay back 'til I motion you forward. You're lucky there was no one to hear you in the room ahead." So much for stealthy tricksters of the feywild. The last was merely a thought in the shifter's head as he glided forward to the next good vantage spot. (Move to J4) Then peered around the corner trying to both get a better look at the odd recess in the corner and find any hidden enemies.

Stealth [roll0]

Perception [roll1]

Dristin
2009-11-25, 06:36 PM
Well I guess I will just wait here for something to happen Bozam mutters under his breath while he stares into the room.

Perception Check [roll0]

Jokes
2009-11-25, 11:17 PM
Getting a little closer, Lonepine can't tell anything more other than the recess is obviously not a natural cave occurrence.

Shyftir
2009-11-26, 12:23 AM
"Well looks like this room is clear. Come on up." Lonepine motions to the others then goes directly to the recess and attempts to decipher its purpose.

Move to Q2.

Jokes
2009-11-26, 12:43 AM
The hole in the wall is about 10ft above you, and getting closer to it reveals it to be a carved arrow slit. There is another on the same wall (R4) at the same height, and another at your height opposite the second (O4). As you stand looking at it, a grotesque face comes into view and shrieks at you, shattering into your mind.

Roll initiative.

Enemy Attacks Lonepine!
[roll0] vs Ref
[roll1] psychic damage, and Lonepine is Dazed (save ends)

Shyftir
2009-11-26, 01:35 AM
The blast of psychic energy misses the shifter as he quickly dives to the side and pulls his blade.

Initiative [roll0]

On my turn:
"By the light of the autumn moon I shall taste your blood, fiend!" Roars Lonepine swearing his oath of enmity on the creature who had attacked him first.

He moves toward the doorway hoping to get behind the walls in order to attack his enemies. If the door is unlocked he barges inside and attacks the nearest foe otherwise he attempts to break down the door.

Attack roll: Bond of Retribution Wis vs. AC
okay so add weapon proficiency and wisdom bonus right?
[roll1]
[roll2]
Effect: If an enemy other than target hits or misses me before next turn deal 2 (Int mod) radiant dmg to target.

If door locked strength check to bust it open.
[roll3]

Jokes
2009-11-26, 01:46 AM
The door is poorly made, but surprisingly sturdy. There is no lock on the door, but it refuses to open. As Lonepine presses against the door, he feels it give slightly, but doesn't manage to break it down.

Mr. Mud
2009-11-26, 09:55 AM
Initiative: [roll0]

Dristin
2009-11-27, 11:59 AM
Initative [roll0]

Dristin
2009-11-27, 12:01 PM
On my turn 2 moves to M3.

I can only do 2 moves in a turn correct

Mr. Mud
2009-11-27, 12:11 PM
On my move, I double move to O3, and draw my glaive...

... Why is my AC so low :smallfrown:? I might want to rework him, if possible, Sir Jokes.

Ozreth
2009-11-27, 04:08 PM
[B]Faefae[/B

Initiative [roll0]

Jokes
2009-11-27, 07:31 PM
@Dristan: Correct.

... Why is my AC so low :smallfrown:? I might want to rework him, if possible, Sir Jokes.

That's just Barbarians for you, the best defence is a good offence. There's little point in putting points in Dex or Int, and the best armour you can get is Hide for +3 (+1 with Barb. Agility). If you want AC, you can pick up armour prof feats, but really you should try and focus on your damage output to make sure enemies die before they can do too much damage to you. Leave defence for the defenders.

As you all gather in the small alcove, a piercing alarm can be heard coming from the south of you. The creature in the northern arrow slit attacks again, this time focussing it's blast on Ecafot.

Enemy attacks Ecafot!
[roll0] vs Ref
[roll1] psychic, and you are dazed (save ends)

You all may take your turns.

Ozreth
2009-11-27, 07:38 PM
Faefae

Faefae casts magic missile: [roll0] + int mod force damage (4)

Jokes
2009-11-27, 07:47 PM
Faefae

Faefae casts magic missile: [roll0] + int mod force damage (4)

Magic Missile is no longer an auto hit spell, it requires an attack roll. Fun Fact: WotC had originally had MM work the same way as it did in 3.5, but playtesters just kept spamming it instead of using encounter and daily spells.

Ozreth
2009-11-27, 08:09 PM
Crazy. Guess I need to do some more research...

Soo d20+int mod then?

[roll]1d20+4[\roll]

Ozreth
2009-11-27, 08:32 PM
Magic missile [roll0]

Jokes
2009-11-27, 08:43 PM
Miss. The small arrow slits seem to grant the creature exceptional cover.

[The arrow slits provide superior cover to the enemy. Also, if you are dazed, the enemy seems to blink out of existence and become invisible.]

Shyftir
2009-11-28, 06:40 AM
Dang it... i gotta wait for bozam his turn comes first. nevermind what was here before.

Jokes
2009-11-28, 06:58 AM
Don't worry about posting out of init order, otherwise things just slow down too much if one person isn't around.

Mr. Mud
2009-11-28, 07:15 AM
Guys, I would post my next turn, but emergency medical reasons are drawing me away in 10ish minutes or so. So, sorry for the inconvenience, but it's a tad more important. Anyone can NPC Efacot, if they wish.

Jokes
2009-11-28, 07:29 AM
Guys, I would post my next turn, but emergency medical reasons are drawing me away in 10ish minutes or so. So, sorry for the inconvenience, but it's a tad more important. Anyone can NPC Efacot, if they wish.

:smalleek: I totally understand, thanks for letting us know. Luckily (?!?), Ecafot is dazed and bottom of the initiative order, pretty much limits what he can do this round. If Lonepine can't open the door this round, I'll have Efacot charge at the door. (Btw, is it Ecafot or Efacot?)

Shyftir
2009-11-28, 07:37 AM
"I could use some help with this door!" The avenger called back. "It's stuck or something." He tried one more violent kick and then moved aside so a stronger ally could attempt to bust it down. Think, Lonepine, think. There's gotta be a way out of this situation.

Two rolls an athletics check to break the door, and a dungeoneering to think of a solution to the problem.

Althletics [roll0]

Dungeoneering [roll1]

If he actually gets through he'll still move aside for a teammates benefit, but won't be trying to solve the problem. Move to R5.

Jokes
2009-11-28, 07:41 AM
You manage to break a small hole in the bottom of the door, big enough for a small person to fit through. You realise that the door must be heavily barred on the other side.

Ozreth
2009-11-28, 05:06 PM
Faefae

"Well gee! Looks like being tiny finally came in handy! Step aside fellas, Im goin in!"

Faefae attemps to slip through the hole in the wall.

Jokes
2009-11-28, 07:28 PM
Faefae slips through the door easily. To the west, you see a rubble strewn room with a door at the far end. The door behind you has a large crossbeam holding it in place (dc10 strength check to remove).

Ozreth
2009-11-28, 09:04 PM
Faefae braces herself and attempts to lift the beam
strength check: [roll]1d20[/rolll]

Ozreth
2009-11-28, 09:06 PM
Appatantly there's only two l's in roll...

[roll0]

Dristin
2009-11-29, 08:45 PM
Damn coward does not wish to stand toe to toe with us.

2 moves to R4 unless the door is opened then to R6 and draws Warhamer

Jokes
2009-11-29, 10:03 PM
Faefae manages to push the bar from the door, opening it from the inside. Bozam enters to confront the creature. Around the corner is a high ledge (10ft high), which you will have to climb (easy, DC5 athletics). Efacot hurries into the room and manages to shake off the effects of the daze.

After you enter the room, a second creature appears, flying clumsily in the western hall. It lets out a shriek and mind blasts Faefae.

You now get a good look at these enemies. They appear to be homunculi, made from blue stone and glow with an eerie blue light, but are misshapen and their pieces don't fit together properly.

Enemy 2 attacks FaeFae!
[roll0] vs ref
[roll1] psychic damage and dazed (save ends) While dazed, these enemies are invisible to you.

Efacots save [roll2]

And it's your turn again.

Shyftir
2009-11-30, 04:47 AM
Upon seeing the door open Lonepine pushes in, pressing by his allies. His finely tuned instincts telling him the general location of his sworn foe. (move to S6)
As soon as he sees the object of his enmity he quickly checks if any other enemies are in sight.

(Spot Perception check to see if he notices e2 as well as e1)
Perception [roll0]

Regardless of whether he sees the other creature. he let's out an unearthly howl and brandishes his holy symbol. "OHWWWWWWOOOUUULLLL"

[spoiler]Blood Moon Howl (a.k.a. Shared Madness)
Encounter + Divine, Implement, Psychic
Standard Action Ranged: 10
Attack vs. Will
Damage [roll2] psychic dmg
Effect: second creature I can see takes same damage.

Mr. Mud
2009-11-30, 04:17 PM
For for the lack of posting, I should be back in the swing of things. Also, where's the init. order?

Dristin
2009-11-30, 05:53 PM
Vile abomination. You will no longer be able to hide. Stand and be judged. Bozam yells as he moves to the enemy.

Athletics check [roll0] to climb elevation.

Not sure if that counts as a move. If I can I move to T4 and use divine challenge on E1 as a minor action.

Jokes
2009-11-30, 11:19 PM
For for the lack of posting, I should be back in the swing of things. Also, where's the init. order?

It's a bit of a free for all. To speed things up, I'm just letting you post actions in no specific order.

Relinking Map (http://www.editgrid.com/user/jokes/Chaos_Scar)

Mr. Mud
2009-12-01, 04:50 PM
Ecafot roars with delight, as he sees a foe his glaive can sink into.

Minor: (Can't remember if I've drawn my weapon or not...) Draw Glaive
Move Action: Charge to M7
Standard: Charge/Howling Strike

Howling Strike: STR versus AC
1[W] + 1d6 + (+5)

To hit:
If hit, Damage: [S][roll]2d4+1d6+5 I rolled a total of 16. It's in the OOC thread.

EDIT: *facepalm*. Never tried rolling with plus signs like that.

Dristin
2009-12-05, 10:40 PM
On my turn for the next round I will Holy Strike E1

Str vs AC

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll]1d10+5[roll]

Dristin
2009-12-05, 10:42 PM
Messed up damage

Damage [roll0]

Jokes
2009-12-05, 10:46 PM
Faefae hurls a bolt of magic at the construct, shattering it. The other homonculus shrieks as it tries to sink its teeth into Bozam.

A gnoll opens the door at the end of the chamber and dodges aside. Behind him, you see a twisted construct made of glowing blue rock. It looks like a giant crossbow on wheels and it seems to be screaming as it looses a bolt.

Homonculus attacks Bozam!
[roll0] vs Ref
[roll1] and if hit, secondary attack-
----[roll2] vs Fort
---- Hit: You are slowed (save ends)

Arbelester attacks Efacot!
[roll3] vs AC
[roll4]

Your round. The dark squares are difficult terrain, but you can make a DC10 acrobatics or DC15 perception check to treat it as normal terrain until the start of your next turn.

Shyftir
2009-12-05, 11:06 PM
Lonepine leaps up to the platform. Athletics [roll0].

If he succeeds he charges e1 and slashes at the small blue creature with his Falchion.

Minor action designate as hunter's quarry (multiclass)
roll basic attack twice take best because of oath of enmity
[roll1]
[roll2]

Damage [roll3] and for quarry [roll4]

Edit: For serious? I just failed a DC 5 check?