PDA

View Full Version : Rpgsr4me's Ravenous, Roaring, Raging Rampage of Random Banter #134

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Moff Chumley
2009-12-05, 10:04 PM
>.<

I meant, earlier today was the first time I've posted in a month or two. Don't be a smartass. *sharpens e-knife*

Rutskarn
2009-12-05, 10:05 PM
Since you ask, I'm getting on fine. Though I'm not sure about everyone else.

ESSAY RAAAAAGE

So, about as well as can be expected.

the geekish one
2009-12-05, 10:10 PM
>.<

I meant, earlier today was the first time I've posted in a month or two. Don't be a smartass. *sharpens e-knife*

I can't help it, it's the way I was programmed. :/

I just trudged my way through a 2 page essay about the 1957 movie The Three Faces of Eve. :smallyuk: My teacher really didn't give us a prompt she just said, "I dunno write something about the movie." Her exact words.

Trobby
2009-12-05, 10:56 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/funny-pictures-raccoon-wants-to-eat-your-food.jpg

...Why would anyone allow a Raccoon to get that close to their food? And then, why would they take a picture of it instead of getting rid of the Raccoon?

o.o; People worry me sometimes.

Rutskarn
2009-12-05, 11:00 PM

I just trudged my way through a 2 page essay about the 1957 movie The Three Faces of Eve. :smallyuk: My teacher really didn't give us a prompt she just said, "I dunno write something about the movie." Her exact words.

You don't know how much I envy you right now.

Phase
2009-12-05, 11:22 PM
You don't know how much I envy you right now.

Envy? Let me tell you how much I've come to envy you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word 'envy' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the envy I feel for humans at this micro-instant for you. Envy. Envy.

Trobby
2009-12-05, 11:37 PM

...As awful as that is, I can't help feeling unsympathetic with roughly 24 more pages to write by Thursday. Four of which have to be done by tomorrow at midnight.

Consider that, and if you really need to write something about it, just write a plot summary or something. Presumably you at least watched the movie, so that shouldn't be too hard.

Moff Chumley
2009-12-05, 11:39 PM
Ya know, I can recommend you a really good shrink for that sort of thing.

Amiel
2009-12-06, 12:21 AM
...Why would anyone allow a Raccoon to get that close to their food? And then, why would they take a picture of it instead of getting rid of the Raccoon?

o.o; People worry me sometimes.

Haha and heh, you and me both, mate.
Another question is, why would anyone allow a raccoon to even enter a person's house? O_O

For those having to write essays or thesis or whathaveyou, try to reference Google :smallbiggrin:

Kneenibble
2009-12-06, 12:27 AM
Sweet merciful Christ.

Mininova.org has been dissolved.
:frown:

Rutskarn
2009-12-06, 12:36 AM
My essay is due Monday at noon.

I just realized that a quarter of it is false because I had confused two characters. One of them is named Walter Elliot. The other is named William Elliot. One is the protagonist's father, one is the protagonist's acquaintance/suitor.

I cited an offhand remark as belonging to the latter, using him as a much-needed third viewpoint. Now I need to find a new character and rewrite half the essay.

Sweet fancy Moses.

Moff Chumley
2009-12-06, 12:39 AM
Musta done something to offend the karma gods. :smallannoyed:

Amiel
2009-12-06, 12:41 AM
What day is it over where you are at? And how many words do you still need to write?

If you writing a literary essay, exactness is probably not that important, you can just make stuff up as you go on.

Here; Wiki article on the novel, Persuasion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persuasion_(novel))

Trobby
2009-12-06, 12:56 AM
@Rutskin: Knowing the nature of this sort of problem, the answer will probably be "No, that'd make it EASY", with an actual explanation forthcoming. But...couldn't you just switch the names? Surely, if the person you are referring to does actually happen to say or do the thing you refer to, you can just pull out the wrong name and put in the right one?

Rutskarn
2009-12-06, 03:27 AM
No, that'd make it EASY.

Seriously, a large part of the support for my essay hinged on that.

@Amiel: It's Saturday night over here, and no, that's not how it works. This isn't some sort of frou-frou BS class where you can get away with any crazy jargon, it's Humanities Core Honors. If your argument isn't airtight and sophisticated, you're not going to do well.

the geekish one
2009-12-06, 10:46 AM
...As awful as that is, I can't help feeling unsympathetic with roughly 24 more pages to write by Thursday. Four of which have to be done by tomorrow at midnight.

Consider that, and if you really need to write something about it, just write a plot summary or something. Presumably you at least watched the movie, so that shouldn't be too hard.

We actually only watched about a third of the movie, and I can't seem to find it at a movie rental place. The essay is done now, I just BSed my way through it.

Thufir
2009-12-06, 12:08 PM
This sunday is... wrong...
Like, not bad, but wrong.

Usually on a sunday I would stay in bed until gone midday, get up slowly and generally laze around the house until I have to leave at about 6:30 for a choir rehearsal.

Last night, rather than sleeping properly, I just sort of dozed small amounts, before getting up at 11, heading into town to do some carol singing at 1, coming back about 15 minutes ago, and I don't have a choir rehearsal this evening.
It's just all... wrong...

Ikialev
2009-12-06, 12:42 PM
It sounds wrong.
Unrelated: There was a cuban revolutionist snowman in my kinder surprise.
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/4219/dsc00447.png

DraPrime
2009-12-06, 01:02 PM
It sounds wrong.

Ok, what on earth is the backstory behind that snowman?

Trobby
2009-12-06, 01:18 PM
It sounds wrong.

Oh sweet! A Kinder Egg toy! I love those eggs, and the little constructable toys that come inside. One time, I got a little chef guy in one of them, and actually made an entire character based on just that toy! *He was actually one of the most well-liked characters in the RP universe where I played him, being both an awesome chef and a real friendly guy to talk to*.

But man...those eggs are SO hard to find in the US. Seriously, if I saw a box of them somewhere, I would probably buy them in a heartbeat, and give one to each of my siblings, cousins, and whoever else I could find that would enjoy the candy/toy combo.

...That is one messed up snowman though...^^; But they do have a surprising variety of toys inside those eggs, so I'm not too surprised.

Edit: For those of you who have no idea what we're talking about, Kinder Surprise (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinder_Surprise). *Though I prefer calling them "Kinder Eggs" myself.*

DraPrime
2009-12-06, 01:19 PM
Oh sweet! A Kinder Egg toy! I love those eggs, and the little constructable toys that come inside. One time, I got a little chef guy in one of them, and actually made an entire character based on just that toy! *He was actually one of the most well-liked characters in the RP universe where I played him, being both an awesome chef and a real friendly guy to talk to*.

But man...those eggs are SO hard to find in the US. Seriously, if I saw a box of them somewhere, I would probably buy them in a heartbeat, and give one to each of my siblings, cousins, and whoever else I could find that would enjoy the candy/toy combo.

...That is one messed up snowman though...^^; But they do have a surprising variety of toys inside those eggs, so I'm not too surprised.

Depends on where in the US you are, and knowing the right stores. I have easily been able to find them in the Boston area in the right stores.

Gullara
2009-12-06, 01:39 PM
Kinder Surprises are relatively easy to find in Canada.

Moff Chumley
2009-12-06, 02:18 PM
Agreed with Thufir. This Sunday is just bizarre. :smallannoyed:

Coidzor
2009-12-06, 04:31 PM
Eh, not as bizarre as having to stifle a laugh while being Caesar's corpse for the Marc Antony speech from Julius Caesar and having the person morning over you's breasts weighing down on one of your arms.

So yeah, I got to be Caesar's corpse at the last minute last night. Like, literally, we found the guy who was going to be her corpse was already in costume for the scene after hers in the Shakespeare showcase, and the scenes I was part of had all been cut, so I was just helping out backstage a little bit and wrangling the people who were there as part of the evening show who had missed the tutorial that was given during the matinee.

Surprisingly enough, I wasn't completely bored out of my skull despite finding myself basically without anything constructive to do for the matinee show.

Rutskarn
2009-12-06, 04:43 PM
Sometimes it's fun to poke around backstage. There's a lot of energy, tension, and slightly illegal card games going on back there.

Also: ESSAY ARRGH ARRGH ARRGGH

Trobby
2009-12-06, 04:57 PM
One down, one to go...:smallwink: Which would feel like a bit more of an accomplishment, if it weren't for the fact that the other essay has to be at least 5 pages longer than...actually, let me check this for a moment...

*check*

Yeah, probably at least 5 pages longer than the one I just finished at best.

...But I still feel pretty good. ^^

Moff Chumley
2009-12-06, 05:05 PM
Sometimes it's fun to poke around backstage. There's a lot of energy, tension, and slightly illegal card games going on back there.

>.>

Illegal? Nah, it's perfectly legal unless you don't get caught.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-12-06, 05:12 PM
*collapses into thread*...need...snuggles...O_o

=P

Rawr, does anyone know a good method for clearing your mind efficiently? I have a few, but they take too long, and I really should study for my math final tomorrow... >.>

Nameless
2009-12-06, 05:14 PM

=P

Rawr, does anyone know a good method for clearing your mind efficiently? I have a few, but they take too long, and I really should study for my math final tomorrow... >.>

*snuggles* :3

My legs hurt from walking all day. q:

Closak
2009-12-06, 05:14 PM
*Grabs Cobra and huggles him*

*Licks Cobra*

Awww, snuggles.

Trobby
2009-12-06, 05:16 PM
;-; Poor son. *Snuggly hugs for Nameless*

Hmm...mind-clearing you say? Well...you could just find a nice soft bed and lie down for awhile with your eyes closed. Or barring that, find a nice comfy spot to sit down and just think for awhile. I find that the best way to clear the mind is to relax your body.

Nameless
2009-12-06, 05:22 PM
;-; Poor son. *Snuggly hugs for Nameless*

S'okay, I got an awesome shirt and some awesome contact lenses. :D

Dr. Bath
2009-12-06, 05:26 PM
Cobra has apparently infiltrated webcomics now... (http://www.webcomicsnation.com/memberimages/sh080408picked_his.jpg)

@Nameless: Man. You didn't buy contact lenses from Cyberdog did you? Cyberdog is a terrible (and overpriced) place.

Ikialev
2009-12-06, 05:28 PM
Magnets?

Perenelle
2009-12-06, 05:29 PM

=P

aww. *snuggles* You okay?

sleeping? Running? reading? laughing? thats what works for me most of the time.

Nameless
2009-12-06, 05:30 PM
Cobra has apparently infiltrated webcomics now... (http://www.webcomicsnation.com/memberimages/sh080408picked_his.jpg)

@Nameless: Man. You didn't buy contact lenses from Cyberdog did you? Cyberdog is a terrible (and overpriced) place.

Actually, the ones I got were pretty much the same price as they are everywhere else I looked. And at least they give me a recipe with it. xD

And yeah, Cyberdog is overpriced, But it’s damn awesome. And a lot cheaper then some of the other Cyber based shops.

Perenelle
2009-12-06, 05:32 PM
Actually, the ones I got were pretty much the same price as they are everywhere else I looked. And at least they give me a recipe with it. xD

And yeah, Cyberdog is overpriced, But it’s damn awesome. And a lot cheaper then some of the other Cyber based shops.

Did you get purple contacts!!? =D

Nameless
2009-12-06, 05:35 PM
Did you get purple contacts!!? =D

I was there for about 15 minuets with EBM blasting trying to select which ones I wanted. I eventually went for Red Lizard ones.
They didn't have electric or neon purple like I wanted. .-.

Perenelle
2009-12-06, 05:38 PM
I was there for about 15 minuets with EBM blasting trying to select which ones I wanted. I eventually went for Red Lizard ones.
They didn't have electric or neon purple like I wanted. .-.

aww. V.V
red contacts are still awesome though. =) pictures?

Nameless
2009-12-06, 05:41 PM
aww. V.V
red contacts are still awesome though. =) pictures?

When I decide to take them out and wear them, yes. :3

Perenelle
2009-12-06, 05:46 PM
When I decide to take them out and wear them, yes. :3

yays! :smallbiggrin:

I wanted to have electric green contacts once.... of course I never followed through with it. :smalltongue: I'll stick with my blue ones.

Nameless
2009-12-06, 05:49 PM
yays! :smallbiggrin:

I wanted to have electric green contacts once.... of course I never followed through with it. :smalltongue: I'll stick with my blue ones.

They did have a green one there that looked electric, but I wasn’t sure if it was just on the photo so I didn't want to risk spending money on natural green contacts. Unnatural colours are they way to go. *nod nod*

Also, I would like to see your blue ones. :3

the geekish one
2009-12-06, 05:54 PM
I wish I could get contacts, but I'd mess up my eyes sleeping in them. Probably.

Nameless
2009-12-06, 06:00 PM
I wish I could get contacts, but I'd mess up my eyes sleeping in them. Probably.

You're supposed to take them out before you go to sleep. :smalltongue:

the geekish one
2009-12-06, 06:14 PM
I know, but I'm far too tired by the time I get home. I generally go right to sleep.

Perenelle
2009-12-06, 06:21 PM
They did have a green one there that looked electric, but I wasn’t sure if it was just on the photo so I didn't want to risk spending money on natural green contacts. Unnatural colours are they way to go. *nod nod*

Also, I would like to see your blue ones. :3

they're naturally blue so not very spectacular. :smalltongue:

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu243/Perenelle123/007.jpg

HotAndCold
2009-12-06, 06:24 PM
Yeah, one of the big reasons I'll never switch to contacts is that I'd never remember to take them out before going to bed. Ever.

Buuuutttt I'm planning on going to Otakon this coming summer and cosplaying as a character who doesn't wear glasses and has a different eye color than I do, so a pair of colored contacts are probably in my future.

Coidzor
2009-12-06, 06:26 PM
On the subject of natural eye colors... I met someone recently whose brown eyes are so skewed that they are almost completely yellow. And another person with eyes that are actually green rather than the result of people not being able to tell that they're just a funky version of blue like usual.

On the subject of colored contacts, I've only seen a girl wearing them with violet and I think blue. She naturally had brown eyes (she was like, a quarter african-american-mutt stock, three quarters german-irish-american mutt stock.) ...I kinda forgot to try to get her to wear one of each when we slept together though.

I'm so ashamed. :smallsigh:

When it comes to myself though, I'm going to have to say I'm more likely to get corrective lens contacts than vanity contacts.

Slightly Illegal card games!?

Dang, I missed out on those. :smallfrown:

Phase
2009-12-06, 06:47 PM
Why did nobody tell me about the wonders of CLONE HIGH?!?!

Seriously, why?

Cobra_Ikari
2009-12-06, 07:11 PM
aww. *snuggles* You okay?

sleeping? Running? reading? laughing? thats what works for me most of the time.

I'm fine. My best friend/brother and I had a long talk updating on what all's been happening. He crushes on the girl I'm dating, and I think she likes him, too.

Is just a lot to think about. But is ok. I just would like to be concentrating on the maths right now. >.>

Coidzor
2009-12-06, 07:11 PM
Why did nobody tell me about the wonders of CLONE HIGH?!?!

Seriously, why?

Because it's something you're expected to find out for yourself. Like how your parents never told you that you're actually part of an invasive species that merely disguises itself as humans until you walked in on them communicating with the mothership.

Or was that my dream the other night?

Cobra_Ikari
2009-12-06, 07:14 PM

You have very pretty eyes.

Actually, you have very pretty everything. =3

*snuggles*

Rutskarn
2009-12-06, 07:21 PM
Cobra, I have long been on the fence on whether you're kind and adorable or lock-the-windows, scrub-with-steel-wool creepiness.

Either way, there's something to respect, there.

Perenelle
2009-12-06, 07:23 PM
I'm fine. My best friend/brother and I had a long talk updating on what all's been happening. He crushes on the girl I'm dating, and I think she likes him, too.

Is just a lot to think about. But is ok. I just would like to be concentrating on the maths right now. >.>

bleck. I was in a similar situation once. Not fun. hope things work out for ya. *huggles*

good luck on your maths. :smallsmile:

Phase
2009-12-06, 07:25 PM
Cobra, I have long been on the fence on whether you're kind and adorable or lock-the-windows, scrub-with-steel-wool creepiness.

Why would you respect "Kind and adorable?"

Jibar
2009-12-06, 07:25 PM

The fence is a trap.

It's actually Cobra.

And you're right where he wants you...

Perenelle
2009-12-06, 07:29 PM
You have very pretty eyes.

Actually, you have very pretty everything. =3

*snuggles*

:smallbiggrin: thank you.

*snuggles* =3

Cobra isnt creepy! =O

Rutskarn
2009-12-06, 07:36 PM
The fence is a trap.

It's actually Cobra.

And you're right where he wants you...

http://www.mannythemovieguy.com/images/total_recall_remake.jpg

Seriously, though, I'm going to go find a new fence. Something tasteful in pinewood, perhaps.

Jibar
2009-12-06, 07:37 PM
http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2008/10/Total%20Recall%20Mars%20Bulge%20Eyes.jpg

What is that and why did I have to see it just before I went to bed?

Rutskarn
2009-12-06, 07:39 PM
Uh, that was a character from Total Recall depressurizing.

On second thought, though, it turned out to be a little bit gross. So...I used a slightly less grody shot of a character from Total Recall, depressurizing.

Oh, yeah, and @Phase: Uh. No comment.

DraPrime
2009-12-06, 07:51 PM
What is that and why did I have to see it just before I went to bed?

To make sleep excellent. :smallbiggrin:

Trobby
2009-12-06, 07:59 PM
Ahnold's character, in fact.

What was the name of Ahnold's character?

Why does that matter? He's Ahnold. :smalltongue:

Also, it slightly boggles my mind now much Cobra and Perenelle snuggle together. ;o If I were a slightly better shipper, I would write something with them together.

And then I'd write a Nameless/Reinholdt one, and then rewrite the pilot episode for Firefly with GitP characters taking the place of the crew.

Reinholdt - Captain Reynolds
RabbitHoleLost - Inara
Jacklu - Kaylee
Eleventh - Zoe
Nameless - Wash
Jayne - SilverRaptor
Myself - Shepherd

The only characters I don't have cast to playgrounders are the siblings River and Simon.

Rutskarn
2009-12-06, 08:00 PM
I got dibs on Niska.

...what? He's awesome.

Coidzor
2009-12-06, 08:11 PM
<_<

>_>

I really need to get those dvds back...

Trobby
2009-12-06, 08:16 PM
I got dibs on Niska.

...what? He's awesome.

...You're calling characters for a shipping story that I already admitted I'll never do?

...Well, okay. o.o

Perenelle
2009-12-06, 08:19 PM
Also, it slightly boggles my mind now much Cobra and Perenelle snuggle together. ;o

>.>
<.<
what can I say? I likeses snuggling Cobwa.... =3

Phase
2009-12-06, 08:30 PM
I got dibs on Niska.

...what? He's awesome.

Dibs on Ariel.

Also, "When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons to make super-lemons!"

Zocelot
2009-12-06, 08:30 PM
Hello all, I am back from a one week hiatus. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the hiatus, I did not get to announce that I was leaving and I'm sure you were all very worried about me. I did some stupid stuff, and I got banned from the computer for a week (time for a Fire Emblem marathon). Basically what happened was I told my parents I'd be home for 12:30 am, and I didn't get home to 6:30 am. I also didn't have my cellphone on, and my parents actually called the police as well as a bunch of people I know at 3 in the morning. There were a few other factors that got me in more trouble, but that's the gist of it. In addition to losing computer, I also am not allowed outside of my house at night for another 6 months. It's a hefty punishment, but I think I deserve it.

On a much happier note, tomorrow is my birthday! Last night, I had some friends over for D&D, a movie (Jurassic Park), and Brawl. It was very much fun, although the lack of sleep I got caught up to me an hour ago. I'll be fine for tomorrow though.

Alteran
2009-12-06, 08:39 PM
...You're calling characters for a shipping story that I already admitted I'll never do?

...Well, okay. o.o

Yep. I call River! Or for extra hilarity, the Operative.

Moff Chumley
2009-12-06, 08:44 PM
I'm playing D&D at the moment. I just exploded a full hit points Dire Wolf with my sorcerer by stabbing it in the face while using Sorcerous Blade Channeling. The DM is PISSED. :smallcool:

Trobby
2009-12-06, 08:48 PM
Yep. I call River! Or for extra hilarity, the Operative.

...D: There is no way I am letting you be The Guy River Tam.

DraPrime
2009-12-06, 08:50 PM
I'm playing D&D at the moment. I just exploded a full hit points Dire Wolf with my sorcerer by stabbing it in the face while using Sorcerous Blade Channeling. The DM is PISSED. :smallcool:

Your DM is pissed? Keep up the good work!

Trobby
2009-12-06, 08:59 PM
Your DM is pissed? Keep up the good work!

Exactly what I thought. XD

I have been playing for years now, and I have yet to pull off something quite that epic.

Alteran
2009-12-06, 09:05 PM

*high fives* Sorcerers are indeed awesome!

Yesterday while playing a sorcerer (cold-themed dragon sorc, named Mr. Freeze), I got two kills in one turn. We were fighting these pterodactyl-like creatures on the edge of a cliff. I provoked AoOs from two different pterodactyls, and my Sorcerous Wings (Arcane Wellspring Utility) dealt about 30 damage to each of them. I got hit for around 35 damage from both of the AoOs combined. Then I used Twin Bolt to hit each of them for around 40 more damage, killing them both.

...and then a third one picked me up and dropped me off of the cliff, killing me.

Edit:
...D: There is no way I am letting you be The Guy River Tam.

D:

But I've been training in martial arts for six years, just so I could play the part! I learned Chinese! I even learned how to fly a goddamn spaceship!

I've also practiced being crazy, but that doesn't require as much effort for me.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-12-06, 09:08 PM
>.>
<.<
what can I say? I likeses snuggling Cobwa.... =3

Aww...*cuddleses* ^_^

I like snuggling you, too!

And...thanks for the comments, guys. :smallamused:

Shadow_Elf
2009-12-06, 09:09 PM
Ah, biology homework is done! Yay!

Yesterday, in a very long D&D session, my monk glomp'd an evil wizard, and crit for like 80 damage. Most epic flying tackle hug ever.

In addition, I have become addicted to Bloons Tower Defense 4. It is so much fun!

the geekish one
2009-12-06, 09:10 PM
Hello all, I am back from a one week hiatus. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the hiatus, I did not get to announce that I was leaving and I'm sure you were all very worried about me. I did some stupid stuff, and I got banned from the computer for a week (time for a Fire Emblem marathon). Basically what happened was I told my parents I'd be home for 12:30 am, and I didn't get home to 6:30 am. I also didn't have my cellphone on, and my parents actually called the police as well as a bunch of people I know at 3 in the morning. There were a few other factors that got me in more trouble, but that's the gist of it. In addition to losing computer, I also am not allowed outside of my house at night for another 6 months. It's a hefty punishment, but I think I deserve it.

On a much happier note, tomorrow is my birthday! Last night, I had some friends over for D&D, a movie (Jurassic Park), and Brawl. It was very much fun, although the lack of sleep I got caught up to me an hour ago. I'll be fine for tomorrow though.

And that only got you taken away from the computer for one week? :smalleek: Your parents must be really cool.

DraPrime
2009-12-06, 09:12 PM
So, someone went ahead and broke one of the windows in my car, which I purchased yesterday. I haven't gotten insurance yet.

RAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!!!!!!! :smallfurious:

Assassin89
2009-12-06, 09:13 PM
Ah, biology homework is done! Yay!

Yesterday, in a very long D&D session, my monk glomp'd an evil wizard, and crit for like 80 damage. Most epic flying tackle hug ever.

More proof that the monk is overpowered. I am serious about this. My DM says this. "Look I can make an equivalent of a full attack for a 6th level fighter at level one, and all of my saves are high. If I put enough effort, I can break the game."

the geekish one
2009-12-06, 09:13 PM
Wow... people who do stuff like that piss me off.

Perenelle
2009-12-06, 09:15 PM
Aww...*cuddleses* ^_^

I like snuggling you, too!

And...thanks for the comments, guys. :smallamused:

=3 *cuddleses*

So, someone went ahead and broke one of the windows in my car, which I purchased yesterday. I haven't gotten insurance yet.

RAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!!!!!!! :smallfurious:

:smalleek: on purpose or by accident???

Alteran
2009-12-06, 09:26 PM
More proof that the monk is overpowered. I am serious about this. My DM says this. "Look I can make an equivalent of a full attack for a 6th level fighter at level one, and all of my saves are high. If I put enough effort, I can break the game."

4e monk. :smalltongue:

As for the strength of 3.5 monks...I've never actually played the edition, so I don't feel very qualified to talk about it. Also, this isn't really the forum for extended discussion about RPGs. Or anything, I suppose. We're a pretty transient bunch, when it comes to bantering.

DraPrime
2009-12-06, 09:34 PM
:smalleek: on purpose or by accident???

Most likely on purpose. It had a big hole in the middle where it was probably hit with a rock or some blunt heavy object like a hammer.

My biggest concern is paying for this. My parents probably will refuse to pay for the repairs, while I'm some kid that makes minimum wage at a part time job, so it's not like I have the funds for this.

Jack Squat
2009-12-06, 09:37 PM
Most likely on purpose. It had a big hole in the middle where it was probably hit with a rock or some blunt heavy object like a hammer.

My biggest concern is paying for this. My parents probably will refuse to pay for the repairs, while I'm some kid that makes minimum wage at a part time job, so it's not like I have the funds for this.

The good news is windows aren't too expensive, well relative to other parts of a car. They're also pretty easy to replace, esp. if it's a rolling window (don't have to worry about seals).

Perenelle
2009-12-06, 09:58 PM

:smalleek: Sorry.

good luck to you. hopefully repairs wont cost too much.

DraPrime
2009-12-06, 10:08 PM
The good news is windows aren't too expensive, well relative to other parts of a car. They're also pretty easy to replace, esp. if it's a rolling window (don't have to worry about seals).

Ah, well that's good. I might go around the local junkyards to find a replacement window.

Phase
2009-12-06, 10:37 PM
But I've been training in martial arts for six years, just so I could play the part! I learned Chinese! I even learned how to fly a goddamn spaceship!

And this is why you fail. River says gorramn, not goddamn. You need practice.

Alteran
2009-12-06, 11:24 PM
And this is why you fail. River says gorramn, not goddamn. You need practice.

Wow, this is almost as embarrassing as that time I said the f-word at a Battlestar Galactica fan convention.

Although, to be technical, she only said it once (as far as I can tell). It was in Safe, and during one of her less lucid periods. However, I must grant that she has never said goddamn.

Nameless
2009-12-07, 03:36 AM
Ahnold's character, in fact.

What was the name of Ahnold's character?

Why does that matter? He's Ahnold. :smalltongue:

Also, it slightly boggles my mind now much Cobra and Perenelle snuggle together. ;o If I were a slightly better shipper, I would write something with them together.

And then I'd write a Nameless/Reinholdt one, and then rewrite the pilot episode for Firefly with GitP characters taking the place of the crew.

Reinholdt - Captain Reynolds
RabbitHoleLost - Inara
Jacklu - Kaylee
Eleventh - Zoe
Nameless - Wash
Jayne - SilverRaptor
Myself - Shepherd

The only characters I don't have cast to playgrounders are the siblings River and Simon.

You should do a Snakes on a Plane one. Then we can have Cobra in it. :smallbiggrin:

Pretty. <3 :3

Coidzor
2009-12-07, 04:52 AM
Did Goddamn even ping with their censors in that ancient day and age? I honestly can't recall.

Quincunx
2009-12-07, 05:44 AM
This was Fox we're talking about--their censors were broken by Animaniacs and buried under a cairn of double entendres well before Joss Whedon was known to them.

"Well, it's that time again. . ." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv6IWX1_XHQ)
"To make a cheese sandwich?"
"To make the Fox censors cry?"
"No, it's time to learn today's lesson--"
"NOOO! Oh, no!" (wailing, sobbing)
"Hey, come on. The Wheel of Morality adds boring educational value to what would otherwise be an almost entirely entertaining program."

Dragonprime, is there the least chance that the previous owner's insurance will carry over to the time of transfer? You didn't drive the car home without any insurance at all, if you follow my drift.

Gullara
2009-12-07, 10:29 AM

:smalleek:All I can say is damn that sucks, if someone did that to me I'd... I'd...:smallfurious::smallfurious::furious:

Nameless
2009-12-07, 10:38 AM
:smalleek:All I can say is damn that sucks, if someone did that to me I'd... I'd...:smallfurious::smallfurious::furious:

I would like to seconed this. It totally sucks. :smallfrown:

Quincunx
2009-12-07, 11:05 AM
Since the Quick Hits of Happiness thread has been closed, I relocate.

Happiness is a lucky dip at the foreign-language candy counter. This mystery package was peanut butter fudge at 5 eurocent per square. I hadn't tasted fudge in years and this is most welcome. Sugar hits for everyone, and an entire package of the stuff to the person who can explain why the packaging is written partly in German and partly in Cyrillic letters--there are no location identifiers on the package and the domain of the candy-maker's URL is an unhelpful .eu.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-12-07, 11:24 AM
Since the Quick Hits of Happiness thread has been closed, I relocate.

Happiness is a lucky dip at the foreign-language candy counter. This mystery package was peanut butter fudge at 5 eurocent per square. I hadn't tasted fudge in years and this is most welcome. Sugar hits for everyone, and an entire package of the stuff to the person who can explain why the packaging is written partly in German and partly in Cyrillic letters--there are no location identifiers on the package and the domain of the candy-maker's URL is an unhelpful .eu.

The fudge was designed in an East German weapons lab as a chemical weapon, originally. That deliciousness you're tasting was carefully engineered to entice enemy soldiers to defect. Welcome to the cause, comrade. >.>

Trobby
2009-12-07, 12:01 PM
You should do a Snakes on a Plane one. Then we can have Cobra in it. :smallbiggrin:

...Actually, I think Cobra would make an excellent Simon Tam. o.o

This was Fox we're talking about--their censors were broken by Animaniacs and buried under a cairn of double entendres well before Joss Whedon was known to them.

"Well, it's that time again. . ." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv6IWX1_XHQ)
"To make a cheese sandwich?"
"To make the Fox censors cry?"
"No, it's time to learn today's lesson--"
"NOOO! Oh, no!" (wailing, sobbing)
"Hey, come on. The Wheel of Morality adds boring educational value to what would otherwise be an almost entirely entertaining program."

...:smallbiggrin: This makes me happy.

Quincunx
2009-12-07, 12:26 PM
The fudge was designed in an East German weapons lab as a chemical weapon, originally. That deliciousness you're tasting was carefully engineered to entice enemy soldiers to defect. Welcome to the cause, comrade. >.>

Checkpoint Charlie Fudge: You'll never go back.

What the heck. It'll go nicely with my socially polarized choice of teas.

Kneenibble
2009-12-07, 12:40 PM
I proffer that Mennonites made this fudge. Nobody else disposed to confect would think in both German and a cyrillic language, unless it were Bulgarians. But all the Mennonites left Europe...

What entails a socially polarized choice of tea? Like... like...

...like, lapsang souchang served with two lumps and fresh cream?

...like, like, English Breakfast served plain in a porcelain thimble with anku sweets?

...like, like, like, labrador tea served in a Jesuit's scalp?

Too soon, too soon.
*steals all foreign Quincuncium fudge and flees!*

Cobra_Ikari
2009-12-07, 01:04 PM
...Actually, I think Cobra would make an excellent Simon Tam. o.o

But Simon's such a jerk at the beginning! =P

>.>

*cuddles Kaylee* =3

Quincunx
2009-12-07, 01:36 PM
Around here one can choose between the main brands, the English-blended tea or the Irish-blended tea, or select the politically neutral yet socially conscious fairtrade offerings, or--oi, my fudge!

Bulgaria's a bit too far south to be a possibility; there's some parallel in Europe which the distributors don't cross. It's more likely that it came from somewhere directly east of here, but I don't think there's any Cyrillic in the north until you hit Russia. . .Kaliningrad! Does that still exist?

Thufir
2009-12-07, 01:40 PM
On Firefly shipfics: we almost had some a while back. Celtois was going to write them, had everyone cast... and then they just never got written. Grr.

Supagoof
2009-12-07, 01:45 PM

RAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!!!!!!! :smallfurious:Front, Door or Rear window?

I ask, because the front windshield is relatively inexpensive regarding repairs, as they are swapped out often. The doors are a bit more expensive, but you might be able to find one that isn't busted at a local junkyard and can put it in yourself, rear tends to be the big kicker, as they aren't usually replaced all that often nor are they bolted in like door windows (because door windows slide on tracks and have either wires or gears to operate them regardless if they are automatic or manual).

On the other side, I know this is true in my area, but insurance companies are required to insure any vehicle you purchase for the first 30 days without notification from you. It's basically to give the channels proper time to file the paperwork if your a dealership or to prove ownership with the DMV. You should check into that if the repair costs are going to be too high.

Another thought is to simply not mention to the insurance company that the window is broken until after you insure the car....if they don't come look at the vehicle, then that's their problem. ((Yes, I know this makes insurance rates higher, but can you honestly tell me that a company which expects money each month and charges you more when something bad happens doesn't deserve it? So the best case scenario is to pay for a service you never have to use to keep it from costing you too much? Anyway I digress...))

And yes, that would enrage me considerably had I just purchased the vehicle. :smallfrown:

Gullara
2009-12-07, 01:52 PM
That was the longest window related post I've ever seen.

Thufir
2009-12-07, 02:16 PM
That was the longest window related post I've ever seen.

...That sounds like a challenge...

Supagoof
2009-12-07, 02:25 PM
Hey, I know cars. :smallbiggrin:

CurlyKitGirl
2009-12-07, 02:56 PM
...That sounds like a challenge...

Taken.
Warning: this will not be about car windows, but as Thufir so kindly noted, but about windows in general. Sixteen lines to beat, starting the next text line:

I'm quite annoyed by where my bed now is. It's situated right in front of, and below our bay window in the front room. Now it's a double-glazed window - all our windows, bar one (I'll get to that later) are double-glazed - so one would think it'd be warm and cosy right?
Wrong.
The double-glazing was put in almost the very first thing we did in the house, so it's about nine years old (we had the original wooden-framed sash windows before then (over one hundred years old) and they were responsible for breaking two of my mum's fingers and severely bruising all the rest of her digits on her right hand. And I nearly lost the tips of my left fingers to the front window too) and this makes it bad.
Really bad. It doesn't leak or anything, but it . . . it perspires. That is the early word to explain it. Yes, yes, it's probably condensation, but we never see it condense. It only sweats and gathers on the sill before overflowing and dripping inextreme cases.
My bed, and specifically my head, is right below the name drippy point.
And for the last month, weather back home has been so extreme that last week our fish and chip shop ran out of fresh and frozen fish to sell.
I repeat. A chippie. By the sea. One minutes from a majorish fishing port. Ran out of fish. In Britland. Where fish and chips is practically our national meal.
That is how bad the weather has been back home, and it hasn't let up yet.
And because of the windows, the weather in general has been upsetting my family. And me when I finally went to bed at one on Sunday morning.
I had a high-grade fever, yet freezing extremities and cheeks, chattering teeth, throbbing headache and a neck full of muscles that were so tightly bunched together I would actually have welcomed being assaulted and knocked out. I passed out somewhere around five a.m. after taking two paracetamol around four o'clock. And a minor auditory hallucination.
And I blame it all on the window.
It was so noisy in that subtle way that every little noise has you leaping out of your feverish proto-sleep and into desparate semi-lucid consciousness.
And yet is was quiet and cold despite being so hot. But the room was cold. And so was the bed. But I was so hot, and the window was noisily silent and drippy.
And there's a streetlight right outside the window.

EDIT:
And the one single-glazed window in the house is in the back bedroom and is too small to get double-glazing for. Yeah, I don't get it either. But it leaks like mad. We none of us like that bedroom because it's the smallest and coldest in the house.

the geekish one
2009-12-07, 03:51 PM
I'm not even going to bother reading that, but I think you won Curly. Anyways, these pistachios are so delicious. Two of my three cats have taken to attacking them to get at the yummy green prize at the center.

Jibar
2009-12-07, 03:59 PM
Query: Should I take in the Introduction to the Cat-Muffinominicon for my Creative Writing session tomorrow?

Trobby
2009-12-07, 04:04 PM
Query: Should I take in the Introduction to the Cat-Muffinominicon for my Creative Writing session tomorrow?

That depends on...

1. What you are supposed to bring in.
2. How closely it resembles what you are supposed to bring in.
3. If you think your teacher will accept it as a serious piece of work.
4. ???
5. Profit!

CurlyKitGirl
2009-12-07, 04:04 PM

Response: Most certainly. It's Creative. It's Writing. It fits all the specifics for that course. (Tomorrow I'll be job hunting)

Jibar
2009-12-07, 04:20 PM
That depends on...

1. What you are supposed to bring in.
2. How closely it resembles what you are supposed to bring in.
3. If you think your teacher will accept it as a serious piece of work.
4. ???
5. Profit!

1. Anything we want.
2. See above.
3. My tutor isn't involved in this. We critique and read each other's work.
4. This is the part where you mention how handsome I am and how good I look without my shirt on.
5. I wish I had profit.

Cristo Meyers
2009-12-07, 04:23 PM
1. Anything we want.
2. See above.
3. My tutor isn't involved in this. We critique and read each other's work.
4. This is the part where you mention how handsome I am and how good I look without my shirt on.
5. I wish I had profit.

1. Then yes.
2. I maintain my aforementioned position.
3. You should do well, then.
4. No, that would be creepy.
5. You and me both.

DraPrime
2009-12-07, 04:27 PM
So, I found someone who will fix my shattered car window for only $148, which is very nice. They'll be coming tomorrow to replace it. So, I guess this isn't as much of a problem as I thought.

Hooray! :smallbiggrin:

Shadow_Elf
2009-12-07, 06:53 PM
It finally snowed in Toronto! First snow in Toronto on December 7th... that is really sad..., on the one hand, I am happy, but on the other, snow is cold, and very quickly gets brown and sloshy and gross, and it has to be shoveled, and it means I have to wear heavier clothes.

Uncle Festy
2009-12-07, 07:00 PM
Today I have discovered the beauty of finishing all of my homework within an hour after school. :smallbiggrin:
*sighs happily*

DraPrime
2009-12-07, 07:29 PM
Today I have discovered the beauty of finishing all of my homework within an hour after school. :smallbiggrin:
*sighs happily*

And I've been experiencing the beauty of having no homework to do at all after school. :smallcool:

Trobby
2009-12-07, 07:52 PM
And I've been experiencing the beauty of having no homework to do at all after school. :smallcool:

And I've been experiencing the joy, tainted slightly by the inner doubt, of taking a day off from school and leaving myself three days with which to write the final paper for my final class.

...won't be until Thursday at Midnight that I'll be able to relax. Or was that when the moon comes crashing down?

Phase
2009-12-07, 07:54 PM
Or was that when the moon comes crashing down?

Hey now, whoa, hey...

I'm drifting, not colliding. You'll die of environmental imbalance.

Recaiden
2009-12-07, 07:55 PM
Hey now, whoa, hey...

I'm drifting, not colliding. You'll die of environmental imbalance.

You are right now. But that can change very quickly. :smallamused:

DraPrime
2009-12-07, 07:57 PM
You are right now. But that can change very quickly. :smallamused:

Indeed. For I have constructed the worlds largest fishing pole. All I need is the proper bait, and I can pull the moon towards the earth.

Trobby
2009-12-07, 08:04 PM
Hey, I'm not the one spreading rumors. I'm just telling you what this guy told me.

http://bestuff.com/images/images_of_stuff/210x600/happy-mask-salesman-10420.jpg

Jibar
2009-12-07, 08:06 PM
Hey, I'm not the one spreading rumors. I'm just telling you what this guy told me.

http://bestuff.com/images/images_of_stuff/210x600/happy-mask-salesman-10420.jpg

Three days...
Three days... Cat-Muffin Radio making a comeback, tell your friends
Three days...

Dragonrider
2009-12-07, 08:06 PM
Why is it so frickin' cold?

??

?????

:smallannoyed:

If it's going to be 10 degrees it should SNOW, dangit!

Thufir
2009-12-07, 08:11 PM

Seems unlikely, given that the melting point of ice is 0 degrees. :smalltongue:

Assassin89
2009-12-07, 08:12 PM

??

?????

There is possibly insufficient moisture in the air where you are. I'm expecting snow where I am.

cycoris
2009-12-07, 08:13 PM

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

If I'm going to be so cold under four quilts that I can't sleep, there should at least be something to show for it. :smallsigh::smallannoyed:

Dragonrider
2009-12-07, 08:15 PM
Seems unlikely, given that the melting point of ice is 0 degrees. :smalltongue:

FAHRENHEIT, doofus. That's about -12 to you sensible people.

@Assassin: That's EXACTLY the problem. And I'm torqued off about it. :smalltongue:

Assassin89
2009-12-07, 08:15 PM
I agree with you wholeheartedly.

If I'm going to be so cold under four quilts that I can't sleep, there should at least be something to show for it. :smallsigh::smallannoyed:

Compared to how I sleep, you are unable to handle the cold. I sleep five feet off the ground with a thin blanket and a single quilt, and I might overheat in those conditions.

Trobby
2009-12-07, 08:17 PM

@Assassin: That's EXACTLY the problem. And I'm torqued off about it. :smalltongue:

...you are twisted in a way that is perpendicular to your point of leverage? o.o

cycoris
2009-12-07, 08:18 PM
Compared to how I sleep, you are unable to handle the cold. I sleep five feet off the ground with a thin blanket and a single quilt, and I might overheat in those conditions.

I'm naturally very cold (I mean temperature, not temperament, you silly people), and I can't sleep comfortably unless my hands, feet, and nose (the parts of me that get the coldest) thaw out completely.

I'm so jealous of you warm-blooded people.

DraPrime
2009-12-07, 08:18 PM

??

?????

And over here it's just around 32, and we have snow. Feeling jealous? :smalltongue:

Dragonrider
2009-12-07, 08:20 PM
And over here it's just around 32, and we have snow. Feeling jealous? :smalltongue:

Hatefully. :smallamused:

I just resent the cold. I'm wearing long sleeves and a sweatshirt, warm tights under my pants, socks over the tights, and shoes, and my feet are on the frozen edge of not-quite-numb. Thermostat's set to 70 but it just can't drive away the cold.

Dr. Bath
2009-12-07, 08:31 PM
See, at minus 12 it is far too cold for snow. The upper atmosphere needs to be within a fairly specific temperature range for it to snow, and the ground temperature needs to be around freezing for it to settle. Just how it is.

Try setting fire to things. Surefire!way to make it snow.

DraPrime
2009-12-07, 08:34 PM

I just resent the cold. I'm wearing long sleeves and a sweatshirt, warm tights under my pants, socks over the tights, and shoes, and my feet are on the frozen edge of not-quite-numb. Thermostat's set to 70 but it just can't drive away the cold.

How about drinking warm things and getting under a warm blanket? It always helped me?

Moff Chumley
2009-12-07, 09:14 PM
See, at minus 12 it is far too cold for snow. The upper atmosphere needs to be within a fairly specific temperature range for it to snow, and the ground temperature needs to be around freezing for it to settle. Just how it is.

Try setting fire to things. Surefire!way to make it snow.

It's generally a good all-around tactic. *nodnod*

Zocelot
2009-12-07, 09:18 PM
A pair of -40 socks are one of the usefullest purchases I've made for surviving the cold. When you're feet are warm/cold, the rest of you is too.

Phase
2009-12-08, 12:27 AM

Why did they cancel Clone High!?!?! I want to know what happens!!! DAMN YOU, CLIFFHANGERS!!!!

Coidzor
2009-12-08, 12:41 AM
^: 4:30 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKOWaid7dIs&feature=related)

See. You need long-johns under that as well, right on yer skin. :smallwink:

I'm regretting not being able to find my long-johns, as I am reduced to layering various lounge pants and a couple of sweaters on top of a pair of non-long-john thermal underwear and a nest of t-shirts and long-sleeved shirts.

On the bright side, there's enough cloth on me that you'd need to aim more carefully to get anything vital with a knife.

In related news, I am currently looking around for recipes and things to do with the oven so that, well, it's helping to heat the house.

Currently I'm about to start on a casserole of canned chicken, stewed tomatoes, mole verde, black beans, egg noodles, and refried beans with a topping of crumbled up stale tortillas(crunchy) and cheddar.

Then next I'll be doing a meatloaf, prossibly. Or possibly making some bread.

I could do with learning that skill.

Nomrom
2009-12-08, 01:38 AM
On Friday it snowed. Today, the low was 52°F. Tomorrow, we should be in the 70's. Man my weather is screwed up. But hey, at least I got my taste of winter, and now I don't have to be cold anymore.

Phase
2009-12-08, 06:15 AM
^: 4:30 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKOWaid7dIs&feature=related)

I have no idea what I'm looking for there.

Destro_Yersul
2009-12-08, 06:19 AM
It's currently around 5 degrees here. That's 23 for you backwards folks who don't use Celsius yet. And I am not cold, despite wearing only a pair of shorts and a t-shirt and some slippers.

And it's not snowing here, either.

Coidzor
2009-12-08, 06:23 AM
I have no idea what I'm looking for there.

whoops. Off by about 20 seconds. "This is for canceling firefly, you goth bastard."

Ikialev
2009-12-08, 07:17 AM
I had to go to our glorious capital city for a school trip. That was one hour of riding on a train and an hour of getting lost and panicking only to find out that it was canceled.
Then going back home took me the same amount of time. <3german

Mauve Shirt
2009-12-08, 08:57 AM
ARGH I studied too much of the wrong stuff for my US History exam. >_< I can only hope for a C and a 10-point grading curve. And then I'll still get a low C in the class.
I need an A on my psycholinguistics exam. Time to study more for that.

Fostire
2009-12-08, 09:02 AM
It's currently around 5 degrees here. That's 23 for you backwards folks who don't use Celsius yet. And I am not cold, despite wearing only a pair of shorts and a t-shirt and some slippers.

And it's not snowing here, either.

5 degrees? that's almost summer! Here in Winnipeg it's 30 degrees below that.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-12-08, 09:12 AM
I need an A on my psycholinguistics exam. Time to study more for that.

Psycholinguistics?

That sounds damn interesting...

Mauve Shirt
2009-12-08, 09:36 AM
Psycholinguistics?

That sounds damn interesting...

It might be, if I didn't have a freaking insane professor.
As far as I can tell from the books we've been reading, the point of psycholinguistics is to look at studies that have been done previously and do them again, hoping for different results.
We read and presented an article about how language ability at a young age correlates to reading ability later, and whether genetic or environmental factors contribute more. We found 3 previous studies, done by the exact same people, which proved the same thing as this study using the exact same methods. That yes, being able to use language at a young age helps you read better, and it's more environmental than genetic.
And Dr. Parker is just incompetent. She burst into tears when we said she forgot to assign us that she asked us to turn in. She never returned our midterms, so I don't know what I'm getting in the class. We were going to do our own study on child language, but she didn't assign kids until 4 weeks before exams, we had too much other work to do to spend 5 hours a week on a kid, so we had to switch to an article presentation.

Morty
2009-12-08, 10:00 AM
Universities and colleges do have a tendency to crop... interesting characters. My mother told me about a professor in her school who was so dedicated to his work that when his wife gave him an ultimatum - "It's either school or me" - he chose school.
Also, darn you people and your snow. Here, the weather's like in early Spring. I didn't even notice when December came.

Destro_Yersul
2009-12-08, 10:04 AM

Did I forget the minus sign? I did. -5. My bad. Still doesn't quite hold a candle to Winterpeg, but then there's not much that does. Certainly Vancouver never managed to get quite that cold. :smalltongue:

Gullara
2009-12-08, 10:14 AM

-12 only, sorry if I don't feel sorry for you but it is -30 here and Hell has officially frozen over.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-12-08, 10:17 AM
Celcius > Farenheit, silly americans...

Also, I'm sick.
Very sickly, more then usual.:smallyuk:

Dragonrider
2009-12-08, 10:38 AM
-12 only, sorry if I don't feel sorry for you but it is -30 here and Hell has officially frozen over.

Do you live in a place where it's *usually* that cold? :smalltongue:

I just want snow. And there's no chance of it this week.

Cristo Meyers
2009-12-08, 10:57 AM

You can have ours, and our bass-ackwards ergonomic snow shovel thing too.

First major snow of the bloody season has to come on a day when I have to be at work early and not leave until late...:smallannoyed:

Gullara
2009-12-08, 11:18 AM

Ya I live in Saskatchewan Canada and the winters can be nasty:smallyuk:

Player_Zero
2009-12-08, 11:20 AM

Why did they cancel Clone High!?!?! I want to know what happens!!! DAMN YOU, CLIFFHANGERS!!!!

Wow, that's some slow reaction time you've got there.

What annoys me more is that there isn't any new Venture Brothers.

Dragonrider
2009-12-08, 11:35 AM
Ya I live in Saskatchewan Canada and the winters can be nasty:smallyuk:

Ah. Yes. :smalltongue: Well, I live in southeastern Washington, where the winters are pretty mild most years. We get snow, but not till late December.

Gullara
2009-12-08, 12:47 PM
Ah. Yes. :smalltongue: Well, I live in southeastern Washington, where the winters are pretty mild most years. We get snow, but not till late December.

Lucky I can't stand the cold *shudders*

CurlyKitGirl
2009-12-08, 01:40 PM
Aaaaah, two of my Christmas presents arrived today. Which?
The Cambridge Companion to Old English Literature and The Concise Anglo-Saxon Dictionary.
The joys of parents. And I mean that in a non-sarcastic way. Not only do I genuinely want both of these books for my own enjoyment, it also turns out they're both course books. Obviously, the latter fact came first even before I knew what they were, but I still really want them for myself.
Come on. How many children ask for, and get, an Old English dictionary for Christmas. I'm working my way up the Wierdest Christmas Present Ever Requested List. That probably eased me up from Geeky But Hardly Ever Weird to Quite Geeky And Slightly Weird.

And now I get to enjoy translating thirty-six lines of The Battle of Maldon without looking at a single translation; we have to do a commentary on it, so no cheating. Also they don't want it interfering with our floundering in a new language and making assumptions on the language based on what may very well be an inaccurate translation.
By Io, the Lady and Om, I haven't had to do a blind translation since I was in Y7 and doing French, and even then I could vaguely guess what was happening.
Actually, still can, but it's not the same. I can pick out words, pronouns are easy; but the inflections are despicable.

I had one solitary moment a few weeks ago where I wished I had studied German, but then the insanity faded. It would still be useful though. I can remeber German numbers, 'Ich heibe Koorly' and 'Rathaus'. That's all.
Meh.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-12-08, 01:47 PM
Wasn't it ''ich bin Dallas''?

Or perhaps ''heibe'' was ''am called'' where as ''bin'' is ''am'', so both would be correct....

Also apprently my english is nearly good enough to get accepted by english uni. Orso I was told.(By checking online how high my results actually are compared to things)

Sadly I can't go check on the internet, since I have to get some rest now.

Kneenibble
2009-12-08, 01:55 PM
Ahh, the Battle of Moldon...
I love how there's those two cowardly thanes who flee the battle who are mentioned by name, though I forget them now, and will go down forever in infamy. When our class studied that piece we wanted to write graffiti all over the school like, "X IS A COWARD!!"
...or, "X ond X beođ earge!" (edit: is that right? it's been a while)

Can I recommend some reading, Curly? The Anglo-Saxon translation of Genesis attributed to Caedmon is really cool, the devil's character is made an anti-hero a lot like Lucifer in Paradise Lost.

And after a November warmer and less snowy than May, we are having a December where so far the highs each day have been lower than the weather station's average recorded lows. Weirdest year for weather in my life.

Ah well, it's just more evidence that the government is secretly testing weather control technology.

KilltheToy
2009-12-08, 02:02 PM
Wasn't it ''ich bin Dallas''?

Or perhaps ''heibe'' was ''am called'' where as ''bin'' is ''am'', so both would be correct....

Also apprently my english is nearly good enough to get accepted by english uni. Orso I was told.(By checking online how high my results actually are compared to things)

Sadly I can't go check on the internet, since I have to get some rest now.

German skills to the rescue!

"heißen" means "to be called", while "bin" means "I am", because it's the first person form of "sein", which means "to be".

Any questions?

Dragonrider
2009-12-08, 02:11 PM
German skills to the rescue!

"heißen" means "to be called", while "bin" means "I am", because it's the first person form of "sein", which means "to be".

Any questions?

Why is "to be" the most infernally complex verb in the world? :smallannoyed:

In English we've got

to be -> I am, you are, he/she is, we are, they are

Spanish is

ser -> soy, eres, es, somos, (sois), son

I don't know any other languages. But still . . . WTF, people? :smalltongue: Is German similarly bizarre and unrelated to the infinitive?

Jibar
2009-12-08, 02:11 PM
Wow, that's some slow reaction time you've got there.

What annoys me more is that there isn't any new Venture Brothers.

Wait, isn't there a new series of Venture Brothers on now in the states?

Mauve Shirt
2009-12-08, 02:13 PM
Any questions?

Is "verschnörkelt" not the best German word ever?

Sein > Ich bin, du bist, er ist, wir sind, ihr seid, sie sind.

Dogmantra
2009-12-08, 02:15 PM
Is "verschnörkelt" not the best German word ever?

Nah, that would be "Lebensmittelvergiftung", which I really do hope I've spelt correctly, especially given my next point...

Wierdest
You have five minutes before you can no longer claim to be goddess of the written word.

Dragonrider
2009-12-08, 02:20 PM
Sein > Ich bin, du bist, er ist, wir sind, ihr seid, sie sind.

Is that irregular? It sure looks irregular to me. :smallamused:

Dogmantra
2009-12-08, 02:22 PM
Is that irregular? It sure looks irregular to me. :smallamused:

Yeah, it is very much irregular. Half the forms of the present tense in German are just the infinitive.

Morty
2009-12-08, 02:23 PM
Hm.
Jestem(I am), jesteś(you are), jest(he/she/it is), są(they are), jesteście(you are), jesteśmy(we are).
In Polish, it's strangely regular.

Ikialev
2009-12-08, 02:47 PM
In Polish, it's strangely regular.
Except for plural 3rd, which makes no sense compared to the others.

Fostire
2009-12-08, 02:58 PM

In English we've got

Spanish is

I don't know any other languages. But still . . . WTF, people? :smalltongue: Is German similarly bizarre and unrelated to the infinitive?
You missed "sos" in the Spanish ones.

Dragonrider
2009-12-08, 03:27 PM
You missed "sos" in the Spanish ones.

:smallconfused:

1st sing.: (yo) soy
2nd sing., informal: (tú) eres
3rd sing./2nd sing. formal: (él/ella/usted) es
1st pl.: (nosotros) somos
2nd pl. informal: (vosotros) sois
3rd pl./2nd pl. formal: (ellos/ellas/ustedes) son

I don't see anything missing.

Edit: unless that was a weird joke. :smalltongue:

Rutskarn
2009-12-08, 03:31 PM
Wait, isn't there a new series of Venture Brothers on now in the states?

Yes. Yes, there is.

Do try to keep up.

Fostire
2009-12-08, 03:32 PM
:smallconfused:

1st sing.: (yo) soy
2nd sing., informal: (tú) eres
3rd sing./2nd sing. formal: (él/ella/usted) es
1st pl.: (nosotros) somos
2nd pl. informal: (vosotros) sois
3rd pl./2nd pl. formal: (ellos/ellas/ustedes) son

I don't see anything missing.

"vos sos" is the same as "tu eres". But don't worry if you've never heard it, as far as I know it is only used that way in Argentina and Uruguay

Morty
2009-12-08, 03:38 PM
Except for plural 3rd, which makes no sense compared to the others.

Fairly timid compared to, say, French. Although one might argue that a single oddity among the similar forms is more irregular than all forms being different. I haven't gotten that far in my linguistic studies yet.

Dragonrider
2009-12-08, 03:39 PM
"vos sos" is the same as "tu eres". But don't worry if you've never heard it, as far as I know it is only used that way in Argentina and Uruguay

silly dialectical differences :smallbiggrin:

Technically I don't have to know the vosotros form either. But I figure it's best to keep it in mind.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-12-08, 04:01 PM
Ahh, the Battle of Moldon...
I love how there's those two cowardly thanes who flee the battle who are mentioned by name, though I forget them now, and will go down forever in infamy. When our class studied that piece we wanted to write graffiti all over the school like, "X IS A COWARD!!"
...or, "X ond X beođ earge!" (edit: is that right? it's been a while)

The verb is definitely right, 'earge' . . . I don't know. Hold please.
[elevator music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc-P8oDuS0Q)]

Just got my books containing the set texts and gloss:
'earg': adj. wretched, vile, useless, cowardly. neut. nom. sing. earh; masc. acc. sing. eargne.
So the adjective is right and the gender is the present indicative masc. pl. of 'earg', so it's all good.
Although literally it would be "X and Y are cowardly" rather then 'X and Y is a coward'.

Hey. I just translated a sentence from MnE to OE and back and accounted for inflections. At first I thought the adjective was inflected wrongly, so I double checked, and it was inflected strongly so the pres. ind. pl. is indeed '-e'!
I bow to Kneen's still impressive recollection of OE.

Can I recommend some reading, Curly? The Anglo-Saxon translation of Genesis attributed to Caedmon is really cool, the devil's character is made an anti-hero a lot like Lucifer in Paradise Lost.

Just checked the texts from my two main set texts, and it doesn't have a copy of that in it. Can you recommend a book with it in? Or a site? It sounds fascinating.

And for DeeRee

Old English/Anglo-Saxon
To be: bēon
iċ eom (I am) OR iċ bēo
þū eart (you are) OR þū bist
hē is (he is) OR hēo bið
hīe sind, sindon (they are) OR wē bēoð
You can recognise German and English there can't you?

French:
To be: être
Je suis (I am)
Tu es (You are (informal))
Il/elle/on est (he/she/it/one is)
Nous sommes (we are)
Vous êtes (You are (formal))
Ils/ells sont (they are)

Dragonrider
2009-12-08, 04:45 PM
Old English/Anglo-Saxon
To be: bēon
iċ eom (I am) OR iċ bēo
þū eart (you are) OR þū bist
hē is (he is) OR hēo bið
hīe sind, sindon (they are) OR wē bēoð
You can recognise German and English there can't you?
Indeed I can! Also, interesting that while the English-y version doesn't make a lot of sense with the infinitive, the German-y version does.

French:
To be: être
Je suis (I am)
Tu es (You are (informal))
Il/elle/on est (he/she/it/one is)
Nous sommes (we are)
Vous êtes (You are (formal))
Ils/ells sont (they are)

Similarities between French and Spanish entertain me. :smallbiggrin: il/elle and él/ella; nous and nosotros; tu and tú. It's not surprising at all given the romance language deal, but it's nevertheless somehow amusing.

Edit: But the big question? Does French have two versions of the verb "to be" the way Spanish does (ser and estar)?

Dogmantra
2009-12-08, 04:51 PM
As far as I know, the only French verb for to be is être.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-12-08, 05:03 PM
Indeed I can! Also, interesting that while the English-y version doesn't make a lot of sense with the infinitive, the German-y version does.

Ah well, push it through MdE through EME to MnE you get and broad assumptions here:

iċ eom (iċ by the way is pronounced ich) -> I am
þū eart (þū by the way being pronounced 'thoo') ->tu art -> thy/you art -> you are
Need I even bother with the next one? No.
I don't know about the next one. But the 'wē' of the second form is obvious.

Interestingly, 'you' comes from the formal French 'vous' which was only used to address those of higher status, customers or strangers. Therefore the English language has true equality by addressing everyone as 'you' rather than differentiating between classes/situations/people we don't know.

Similarities between French and Spanish entertain me. :smallbiggrin: il/elle and él/ella; nous and nosotros; tu and tú. It's not surprising at all given the romance language deal, but it's nevertheless somehow amusing.

Edit: But the big question? Does French have two versions of the verb "to be" the way Spanish does (ser and estar)?

And quite useful too! On occasion. French has one 'to be'. OE has two forms of bēon, hence the OR options and also wesan which also means to be.
Apparently.

Dragonrider
2009-12-08, 05:09 PM
And quite useful too! On occasion. French has one 'to be'. OE has two forms of bēon, hence the OR options and also wesan which also means to be.
Apparently.

Interesting. I'm sure there's some overarching rule for "ser" v. "estar" that I don't know and some other playgrounder does. But you use ser for things like identity (soy baja = I'm short), origins (soy de Inglaterra = I'm from England), that sort of thing. Estar is for feelings (estoy triste = I'm sad) and current location (estoy en casa = I'm at home) and generally temporary things. Though, naturally, "temporary" doesn't ALWAYS apply, because hard-and-fast rules never seem to work in language.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-12-08, 05:13 PM
Ik ben.
Jij bent.
Hij/zij/het is.
Jullie zijn.
zij zijn.

Ik was.
Jij was.
Hij/zij/het was.
Jullie waren.
Zij waren.

Hmmm, gimme english 'bove dutch any day of the week...

CurlyKitGirl
2009-12-08, 05:17 PM
Interesting. I'm sure there's some overarching rule for "ser" v. "estar" that I don't know and some other playgrounder does. But you use ser for things like identity (soy baja = I'm short), origins (soy de Inglaterra = I'm from England), that sort of thing. Estar is for feelings (estoy triste = I'm sad) and current location (estoy en casa = I'm at home) and generally temporary things. Though, naturally, "temporary" doesn't ALWAYS apply, because hard-and-fast rules never seem to work in language.

One reason why the averae language student (of any language) has often introduced their head to the nearest, non-fragile flat surface available.
My format was this:
K: Head, meet Desk.
D and H together: Hi. *THUMP*

Occasionally, Head was courteously introduced to The Wall, they got on about as well as Head and Desk.

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! DeeRee et al. one option for Paper 4 Special Topic is Introduction to Language and Linguistics.
Yea or nay?

Thufir
2009-12-08, 05:19 PM
Nah, that would be "Lebensmittelvergiftung", which I really do hope I've spelt correctly, especially given my next point...

Myself I have a fondness for 'Zerschniferschnück'. May technically be a nonsense word, but it's a very good one.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-12-08, 05:21 PM
*looks around*
*replaces second D in DeeDee with a R, making it DeeRee*
Yea!

>.>
I'm really going to be a zombie tomorrow...I should go to bed....Damn you interesting stuffs...

Miklus
2009-12-08, 05:23 PM

In English we've got

Danish:

Jeg er
Du er
Han/hun/den/det er
Vi er
De er

It is not so hard...:smallamused:

Also: I stod behind a completely bald woman in a queue today. I was a bit taller than her so I got a good look at her head. It was not pretty. There was wierd bumps and marks all over the place. If I was her, I would wear a hat. I sure hope her hair grows out again some day.

Fostire
2009-12-08, 05:25 PM

Funny thing about your own native language is that you may know how to perfectly write and speak said language but not know how or why certain words work.
Like for example, I probably wouldn't be able to explain to someone the difference between ser and estar :smalltongue:

HotAndCold
2009-12-08, 05:28 PM

In English we've got

Spanish is

Sum, es, est! Sumus, estis, sunt!

Yeah, I think "to be" is irregular in just about every language ever. Also a fun fact! The word for mother starts with an m in most languages!

EndlessWrath
2009-12-08, 05:34 PM

In English we've got

Spanish is

With german... its crazy as well
Sein is to be.
Ich bin - I am
Du bist - You (informal you) are
Er/ sie/ es ist - he/she/it is
Wir sind - We are
Ihr seid - You (plural) are.
sie sind - They are
Sie sind - You (very formal You, the way you refer to a superior or to someone you have respect for.)

So yes. Its crazy

Quincunx
2009-12-08, 05:58 PM
Funny thing about your own native language is that you may know how to perfectly write and speak said language but not know how or why certain words work. . .

. . .thus making [native language] class an unending horror for those of us who paid attention the first year those concepts of grammar were discussed. Half or more of first-year Latin was also wasted on making students pay attention to the complex structures which were accessible yet unused in English. For the icing upon this cake of woe, my teachers' willingness to listen to my stumbling Swedish was in inverse proportion to their grasp of grammar. ("Cake of woe"? Did someone replace my tealights with Vetinari's candle ends?) As for the paper topic, broadly 'nay', but for you I'll say 'yea' for you do have the gift both for rambling on the topic enough to satisfy a word count, yet also have the (rarer) gift of those circumlocutory spirals of construction make sense to the reader.

As for Mauve Shirt's professor, I sympathize; a teacher can break down under stress just as a student can, but the student doesn't generally sink the entire year's deadline-dependent academic hopes with her. Independent learning only goes so far when your works must be stamped with authority by such-and-such a date. In our situation the rest of the department was willing to look sideways and perhaps allow the students a bit more input on their letters of recommendation than was wise, in return for lessening the additional workload upon them, but that was high school where any sin will be obliterated in the next tier of schooling, and we were all destined for a higher tier of schooling. In short, if she's your faculty contact, change your faculty contact if you want to graduate on time!

Moff Chumley
2009-12-08, 06:15 PM
And this is why I failed Latin last year. :smalleek:

EndlessWrath
2009-12-08, 06:27 PM

Latin is a dead language... not written.. but it wasn't spoken for hundreds of years. The teacher at my school had an oral exam for Latin :smalleek::smallsigh::smallannoyed: which was 90% of your grade. So it was really how did she think it should be pronounced.

-Wrath

Phase
2009-12-08, 06:30 PM
Hah. I dropped Latin. That was more to do with the class and teacher being a rutting JOKE than anything else, but still.

Fostire
2009-12-08, 06:34 PM
Latin is a dead language... not written.. but it wasn't spoken for hundreds of years. The teacher at my school had an oral exam for Latin :smalleek::smallsigh::smallannoyed: which was 90% of your grade. So it was really how did she think it should be pronounced.

-Wrath

Didn't the catholic church use spoken latin until fairly recently?

EndlessWrath
2009-12-08, 06:37 PM
Didn't the catholic church use spoken latin until fairly recently?

well, not any I've been to. I might be wrong though, I mean, who knows?

but Frankly if someone has been...it doesn't matter. The teacher did the same based on her pronunciation so it wouldnt have mattered =(

-Wrath

Kneenibble
2009-12-08, 06:44 PM

In concilio Scythiae, Latina relinquit te!

As the other fella mentioned, there is a contemporary church Latin pronunciation, and there is also an academically reconstructed classical pronunciation.

Still, the discourse of Latin studies is literary. It's totally ridiculous to make any oral component, in my opinion, especially with that much weight.

HotAndCold
2009-12-08, 06:47 PM

-Wrath

Why would you ever. My grasp of Latin grammar and structure was excellent when I took it (I was expressly forbidden from participating in class sight-reading a couple of times because I read too quickly to allow the other kids a chance :smallredface:), but I could never translate aurally/orally. :smalleek: It processes differently. Seriously, 90% of your grade? That's not even remotely approaching fair unless oral translation was all you practiced, and, seriously, why would you? The only place Latin's spoken these days is in the Catholic church (and not even universally), and church Latin is pronounced differently, anyway.

</Latin-student-raaaeeeegg>

Moff Chumley
2009-12-08, 07:13 PM
In concilio Scythiae, Latina relinquit te!

Yes. Yes it did.

Inhuman Bot
2009-12-08, 07:21 PM
As I said awhile ago on an RB thread, I failed several subjects.

We had a few tests a week ago.

I got 90-100% on them all. :smallbiggrin:

Thufir
2009-12-08, 07:23 PM
GRRARR!!! :smallyuk::smallannoyed::smallfurious:

These LaTeX errors make little or no sense, and I need to have this presentation ready by friday.

I mean, seriously, "Missing number, treated as zero"? why would there be a number in the \end{frame} command? :smallconfused: Or, for that matter, units, since that's the next error? And why do these same nonsensical errors come up several times each? What is \@xdblarg ?

I could go on, but you get the idea. These error messages seem to be talking about a file which is not the one I just compiled. :smallannoyed:

About 12 hours ago, I thought this was really neat. Now, I'm wondering if I should just give up and do it in Powerpoint instead... :smallsigh:

Jibar
2009-12-08, 07:23 PM
Congratulations Phase.

You've officially proven to me that I am in love with Nicole Sullivan, or at the very least her voice.

Her eternally reoccurring voice.

She shows up in just as many as my favourite shows as Phil Freaking LaMarr.

Phase
2009-12-08, 07:53 PM
Even Buzz Lightyear of Star Command? She was in that, too.

DraPrime
2009-12-08, 08:12 PM
So my car window was replaced today for only $148.

Hell yeah.:smallcool:

Kneenibble
2009-12-08, 09:25 PM
It's still inconvenient to pay for some idiot's damage, but that's not a bank-breaker, huh?

So I ordered this underwear whose colour is called "Persimmon Orange."
It arrives today, and on the bill the company mispelt it "Permission Orange," and I thought that's a bit cheeky, isn't it? If they have something to say to me, they should say it.

Trobby
2009-12-08, 09:49 PM
It's still inconvenient to pay for some idiot's damage, but that's not a bank-breaker, huh?

So I ordered this underwear whose colour is called "Persimmon Orange."
It arrives today, and on the bill the company mispelt it "Permission Orange," and I thought that's a bit cheeky, isn't it? If they have something to say to me, they should say it.

...The internet is a wonderful thing, in that it allows me to look up the color of Persimmons to know exactly what color you are referring to, and allows my curiosity to then lead me to finding out that persimmons are a slightly tart but sweet fruit with several species, but that the most common ones look like orange tomatoes.

Also, I often get them confused with pomegranate. Which I often misspell as pomegranite.

DraPrime
2009-12-08, 09:51 PM

Yeah, it's much better than I thought it would be. And, now I have money with which I can buy Christmas presents for several people. Hooray!

Phase
2009-12-08, 10:38 PM
If they have something to say to me, they should say it.

Yeah, okay. We here at the Subtle Reminders Underwear Corporation think you should stop sleeping around so much, it's bad for our image as a family underwear provider.

ION, 50%-off crotch-less lingerie! Buy your woman something you'll REALLY enjoy!

Zeb The Troll
2009-12-09, 12:39 AM
Also a fun fact! The word for mother starts with an m in most languages!Another fun fact, to a non-native speaker of Russian, the word for "mother" and the word for "vulgarity" are nearly identical.

Mother = mat (mot)
Vulgarity = matj (same as above, but with a palatalized (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palatalization) 't'. Since most of us speak a language that doesn't have a palatalization marker (in Russian, the "soft sign") it takes a lot of practice to be able to hear or pronounce the difference*.)

*This leads to a tangent story from when I was learning Russian. The Russian term for the soft sign is "myagkiy znak". In typically linguistic evolution, the "g" in myagkiy is often swallowed making the word sound more like myakiy when spoken. The Russian word for "with" is simply "c", pronounced as an "s". So, when asking for spelling of words, specifically "is this word spelled with a soft sign?" the question, applying proper declension is "c myagkim znakom?" which sounds a LOT like "smack 'im, snack 'im?"

Okay, that was a long way to go for a locality joke**. I apologize.

**You had to be there.

Kneenibble
2009-12-09, 01:57 AM
Yeah, okay. We here at the Subtle Reminders Underwear Corporation think you should stop sleeping around so much, it's bad for our image as a family underwear provider.

ION, 50%-off crotch-less lingerie! Buy your woman something you'll REALLY enjoy!

Thank you. I'm glad you saw that subtext too.

Just checked the texts from my two main set texts, and it doesn't have a copy of that in it. Can you recommend a book with it in? Or a site? It sounds fascinating.

I can't recommend a book, because the one I read it from was about 100 years old from my university's library, but I did find a site that has the text if you care to peruse it.
This (http://labyrinth.georgetown.edu/) site has a million medieval studies resources: step into Old English, then the Old English Poetry, Alphabetical Index, and finally Genesis A, B (http://www8.georgetown.edu/departments/medieval/labyrinth/library/oe/texts/a1.1.html) (it's just plain text without commentary or glossary though). It looks like there's some interesting articles in the Old English section too.

...The internet is a wonderful thing, in that it allows me to look up the color of Persimmons to know exactly what color you are referring to, and allows my curiosity to then lead me to finding out that persimmons are a slightly tart but sweet fruit with several species, but that the most common ones look like orange tomatoes.

Also, I often get them confused with pomegranate. Which I often misspell as pomegranite.
Pomegranates are delicious.
Persimmons only slightly less so. And not only are they nutritious, their namesake colour makes for sexy undies skivvies.

HotAndCold
2009-12-09, 04:45 AM
Another fun fact, to a non-native speaker of Russian, the word for "mother" and the word for "vulgarity" are nearly identical.

Mother = mat (mot)
Vulgarity = matj (same as above, but with a palatalized (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palatalization) 't'. Since most of us speak a language that doesn't have a palatalization marker (in Russian, the "soft sign") it takes a lot of practice to be able to hear or pronounce the difference*.)

Hunh, that's interesting. I wonder if there's a reason the two are similar, or if it's just a bizarre coincidence.

Continuing the lingual fun facts, here's one that's definitely not coincidental.

A Latin word for beautiful: bellum
A Latin word for ugly: foedus

A Latin word for war: bellum
A Latin word for treaty: foedus

The Romans were pretty big fans of that "war" thing.

Ikialev
2009-12-09, 09:49 AM
Hunh, that's interesting. I wonder if there's a reason the two are similar, or if it's just a bizarre coincidence.
We just have a thing for insulting each other's moms.

Dogmantra
2009-12-09, 12:33 PM
STUPID TROLL!
Why doesn't he just go away!
ARGH.

It's enough that I have to delete his posts. I hope he doesn't realise that if he starts posting in the other forums, I can't do anything there. GO AWAY TROLL.

I am cross about a troll!

Gullara
2009-12-09, 12:38 PM
STUPID TROLL!
Why doesn't he just go away!
ARGH.

It's enough that I have to delete his posts. I hope he doesn't realise that if he starts posting in the other forums, I can't do anything there. GO AWAY TROLL.

I am cross about a troll!

Where is this troll? In the playground?

In other news time zone differences are annoying when your in the free form roleplaying section. :smallfurious:

Dogmantra
2009-12-09, 12:48 PM
Nah, I can't delete posts here (or CAN I?)

Another forum which I frequent. He's so irritating and I thought I'd share my irritation! Damn Good Times, no?

Kneenibble
2009-12-09, 01:14 PM

Continuing the lingual fun facts, here's one that's definitely not coincidental.

A Latin word for beautiful: bellum
A Latin word for ugly: foedus

A Latin word for war: bellum
A Latin word for treaty: foedus

The Romans were pretty big fans of that "war" thing.

That's simplifying the matter a bit, innit? Bellum for war is a corruption of the older form duellum. The root for ugly (which is too simplistic a gloss for the word, btw) is foed* but the root for treaty is foeder* with a contraction in the nominative form. :P It is a coincidence.

Gullara
2009-12-09, 01:23 PM
Nah, I can't delete posts here (or CAN I?)

Another forum which I frequent. He's so irritating and I thought I'd share my irritation! Damn Good Times, no?

Right I should have caught that. If you can deleat posts can't you ban him?

Quincunx
2009-12-09, 01:38 PM
Dogmantra: If you have the option "Approve by a moderator before posting", turn that on for your nuisance. It'll save your sanity.

Kneenibble: I don't know if I'm more titillated by the invoice or the etymology.

RPGSR4ME: I blame you for this second doubling of RB threads!

Dallas-Dakota
2009-12-09, 01:48 PM
Well I'm just going to go on posting in 'dis thread till we reach 50.

Kids these days....Not even waiting till page 50.

Back in my day, there was always somebody who called dibs and we'd wait till page 50, sometimes even page 51!

Fostire
2009-12-09, 01:54 PM

Back in my day, there was always somebody who called dibs and we'd wait till page 50, sometimes even page 51!

According to the rules you can go up to the 30th post of the 50th page (the 1500th post) before the thread has to be locked.
So yeah, too early.

SDF
2009-12-09, 01:55 PM

Wait, we don't call dibs anymore? Someone just goes?

Well back in MY day... eh we did it pretty much the same...

Gullara
2009-12-09, 02:46 PM
Looks like my thread is about to die. But once I become a master of the Black Arts nothing, not even the mods, can stop me from raising it as an undead abomination BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *cough* hahahaha *cough* *sputters* HA
:smalltongue:

Pyrian
2009-12-09, 02:54 PM
Keep it alive! Keep it alive! One more page... One more page... Here's the chest paddles... *zap*

EDIT: Nevermind, you can die now. :smallbiggrin:

Gullara
2009-12-09, 03:42 PM
Keep it alive! Keep it alive! One more page... One more page... Here's the chest paddles... *zap*

EDIT: Nevermind, you can die now. :smallbiggrin:

I should sig that and I will.

Roland St. Jude
2009-12-09, 06:23 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Another perfectly good thread, wasted. I'm sure a new one has spawned already.