PDA

View Full Version : Epic Magic Missile

Animato
2009-11-24, 10:42 AM
Ok ok... Stop.
Before starting let's do some premises:

1. I write in this section because there's a reasonable probability that we'll need homebrewing for this work and I know Epic Spell's creation is using an official sistem of rules.

2. I know Epic Magic system is broken and I don't want to see this dicussion degenerate on this or other OT matters, so please refrain to mess it up. Pretty please?

3. This is a simple excercise of building, I'm trying to come up with a result and I will explain his parameters but the goal isn't to brew the most awesome spell in the world, only a reasonable balanced spell fitting in my idea.

So the goal is creating an Epic version of Magic Missile that focuses on firing many more missiles, not some more powerfull ones. All without using:

- XP burn to cast.
- Additional spellcasters.
- Backlash

And it must have the same components, casting time and range.
Obviously no saves and it must be affected by SR.
Many things seems easy to me, but I have some mayor problems and here is the point of the 3d.

First: the seed. Looking at seeds the only one with a little resembalnce to what I need seems energy, paired with the -5 CR mitigating factor for reducing die size to d4 and some homebrewed (You see? First homebrew in the way) modifiers to do the special things. (see below)
There's a better way? I don't think so but it's better ask..

Second: the previously stated ad hoc modifiers.
I need to figure a bunch of them and I suck at doing this kind of things.
But at least I've maked a list, I'm not totally lazy:smallbiggrin::

- The most obvious: substitute energy with force, thats more powerful of any energy and can do interesting stuff.

- Split the effect in N missiles that may target 1 or more opponents like magic missile.

- No saving throw.

- Each Magic Missile does 1d4+1 in the normal version, the +1 for each missile must be done with an ad hoc Cr modifier(?)

- The various metods to be protected agains magic missiles and the like will affect also this Epic Spell? I say yes, but so that counts as a mitigating factor?

Third: There must be a cap to the number of missiles? If yes how many? I think it depends on the grade of power one will achieve, but we can do a 20 missiles vesion, a machine-gun 50 missiles version and a gatling 100 missiles version...

Other Thoughts.. Mmm... Oh, yes! I can't imagine no-one on Earth has never thinked of an Epic Magic Missile version so if any of you has a link...
I think it's all (it's neverl al... I'm sure I've forgotten something...:smallconfused:) playgrounders, let te brainstorm begin and thank you all. :smallsmile:

dsmiles
2009-11-24, 10:47 AM
Wasn't there a spell in a splatbook or something that covered this?

(somebody's) lesser missile storm, and (somebody's) greater missile storm?

ericgrau
2009-11-24, 10:49 AM
Yeah, but those are regular spells. This would crank it up to epic level.

Lysander
2009-11-24, 10:50 AM
What if it allowed you to send 5 1d4+1 magic missiles at each of up to 25 separate targets/caster level, with a range of 1000ft + 10ft/level? The effect on each person would be the same as a single casting of maxed out normal magic missile, except you could simultaneously strike an entire army.

dsmiles
2009-11-24, 10:55 AM
What if it allowed you to send 5 1d4+1 magic missiles at each of up to 25 separate targets/caster level, with a range of 1000ft + 10ft/level? The effect on each person would be the same as a single casting of maxed out normal magic missile, except you could simultaneously strike an entire army.

I think that if you played long enough, you would need to clairvoyance an area to hit the target...lol.

Seriously, though, I think 25 tgts per caster level is a little much. maybe 25 targets + 5 targets per caster level...

Lysander
2009-11-24, 01:16 PM
I think that if you played long enough, you would need to clairvoyance an area to hit the target...lol.

Seriously, though, I think 25 tgts per caster level is a little much. maybe 25 targets + 5 targets per caster level...

It's not that powerful compared to something like Rain of Fire which can burn everything in a two mile area to a cinder. Part of the Epic Magic Missile spell's limitation would be that you need to see all your targets, so it would be pretty useful attacking an army on a field, of lesser utility attacking people hiding in a city.

DracoDei
2009-11-24, 01:35 PM
I would go ahead and limit the number of total missiles with no restrictions on how you divide them between targets.

Animato
2009-11-24, 02:17 PM

Additionally I can say it's not the point.
I'm not trying to destroy entire armies from a bazillion of kilometres, I aim to make simply a more...mmm... shotty(?) version of Magic Missile.
As I said in the main post the range and the ''fire mode'' (N missiles distributed pretty as you wish) must remain the same of the 1st level version.

If tomorrow I'll have some time I plan to playtest an alpha version (or more than one) and, if I come up with decent results I will post them.

Suggestions are as alwais not only welcome but needed :smallsmile:

Deathdarken
2009-11-24, 05:26 PM
use 4.0 hahah just kidding, this sounds cool

Kerleth
2009-11-25, 04:19 AM
Raistlin's Eldritch Missile Barrage
Evocation
Spellcraft DC: 109
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 300 feet
Target: Up to 20 creatures within the area.
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes
To Develop: 981,000 gp, 20 Days, 39,200 xp
Energy Seed: 19
Increase damage to 20d6: +20
Convert d6 to d4+1 (Ad Hoc): +0
Change to Target: +4
Allow Damage to be split up per die between multiple targets within range (Ad Hoc): +6
Eliminate Saving Throw (Ad Hoc): +40
Change Energy type to Force (Ad Hoc): +4
Reduce casting time to 1 action: +20
Mitigating Factor: Any effect which would stop a regular magic missile spell (PHB, p. 251) such as a shield spell (PHB, p. 278), or the target being an object, stops this spell. (Ad Hoc) -4

When casting this spell the caster shoots out 20 small bolts of arcane energy, dealing 1d4+1 damage each. Each of these missiles may be targeted at the same or a different creature within range.

Design Notes
First off, someone may want to check my math, it's 4:20 A.M. and I did it in my head.
Range-the 300' range of the energy seed is equal to the range of a magic missile cast by a 20th level wizard.
Damage- 1d4+1 has the same average damage as 1d6. 1d4+1 has a higher minimum but a lower maximum.
Saving Throw- This modifier is equivalent to increasing the save DC by 20.
Opinion- I think changing an area to a single target should be a +0 if not a -2, but I went by the book.

Whatchya think?

Animato
2009-11-25, 06:50 AM
[No comments on 4th edition, it's better to don't know my opinion on the matter]

I think your version, Kerleth, it's a good help for me.
I like your point of view on the 'no save' problem and I will explore it.
All the other points are good and I'll check on the details later.
From here on it will be simple to modify the spell further and to make the more powerful version, but the CD is already over 100 so a player or NPC will be a tough one to have the gatling brand.
I'm also thinking to the desining of a new mitigating factor, something like sacrificing a heavily costing material component or using a much more priced focus...

If I come up with something I will post it, but I have little time in these days :smallfrown:

Thank you all guys and you Kerleth in particular :smallbiggrin:

Roderick_BR
2009-11-25, 02:38 PM
Macross Missile Massacre?

That would be a cool name. Magic Missile Massacre.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-11-25, 03:21 PM
Raistlin's Eldritch Missile Barrage
Evocation
Spellcraft DC: 109
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 300 feet
Target: Up to 20 creatures within the area.
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes
To Develop: 981,000 gp, 20 Days, 39,200 xp
Energy Seed: 19
Increase damage to 20d6: +20
Convert d6 to d4+1 (Ad Hoc): +0
Change to Target: +4
Allow Damage to be split up per die between multiple targets within range (Ad Hoc): +6
Eliminate Saving Throw (Ad Hoc): +40
Change Energy type to Force (Ad Hoc): +4
Reduce casting time to 1 action: +20
Mitigating Factor: Any effect which would stop a regular magic missile spell (PHB, p. 251) such as a shield spell (PHB, p. 278), or the target being an object, stops this spell. (Ad Hoc) -4

Twinned Magic Missile followed by Quickened Twinned Magic Missile: 1 5th level spell slot and 1 9th level spell slot accomplish almost exactly this, for 981,000gp and 39,200XP less. That's a problem. Oh...and it requires caster level 17, not a +99 Spellcraft check (and even that's only a 50% chance).

Welcome to the problem with Epic magic. :smallbiggrin:

Yakk
2009-11-25, 03:51 PM
For an epic magic missile spell, what I'd be tempted with is a spell that fires off volleys of magic missiles, at one missile/target/round, for a long time as free actions.

So someone casts epic magic missile, and missiles start flying. Each round, each target in range takes 1d4+1 damage (no save).

To place an upper limit on no-save cost, work out the cost of (save half) attacks -- then note that 2d6 (save half) tends to be stronger than 1d6 (no save). (important exception: evasion).

The result is a spell that is worthy of being epic. You cast it, and for (say) the next 10 minutes, you pepper attacks at every target in (say) half a mile that you can see.