PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Am I batty? Not yet.

Shnezz
2009-11-24, 11:37 AM
So, I was wondering if in 4E there is anything that lets you play as a monster class? Specifically, I wanted to play a Bat or similar stealthy-flying-biting creature. I know that this is utter silliness, since I can't really even talk to anyone else unless there's a language "Batspeak" they can learn. [Or we find batman, he can translate... heh.]

Anyway, is there any spell combination that might result in a semi-intelligent bat, and a reasonable way to make it fit in as combat? My DM is open to homebrewed material, and we're all level 1's still.

Thanks in advance for any help(:smallbiggrin:)/advice(:smallsmile:)/ideas(:smalltongue:)/randomness(:smallsigh:) you give.

Kurald Galain
2009-11-24, 11:42 AM
So, I was wondering if in 4E there is anything that lets you play as a monster class?
Yes. About a dozen races from the Monster Manual have PC statistics for them, and a few others from other books, e.g. the bladeling from Manual of the Planes.

None of them fly, however. Flight is considered an unsuitable ability for heroic-tier player characters (not counting "flying for one move action" because that's usually known as "jumping").

Tiki Snakes
2009-11-24, 11:47 AM
Yeah, you're pretty much out of luck on that front, really.

I'd be inclined to consider homebrewing something, as DM, if one of my players really had their heart set on it (Possibly just giving them a monster stat-block and letting them get on with it, really) but you'd have to talk to your DM, really.

dsmiles
2009-11-24, 11:48 AM
At low levels? No.

At higher levels? Polymorph or druid?

Inyssius Tor
2009-11-24, 12:59 PM
So, I was wondering if in 4E there is anything that lets you play as a monster class? Specifically, I wanted to play a Bat or similar stealthy-flying-biting creature. I know that this is utter silliness, since I can't really even talk to anyone else unless there's a language "Batspeak" they can learn. [Or we find batman, he can translate... heh.]

Anyway, is there any spell combination that might result in a semi-intelligent bat, and a reasonable way to make it fit in as combat? My DM is open to homebrewed material, and we're all level 1's still.

Thanks in advance for any help(:smallbiggrin:)/advice(:smallsmile:)/ideas(:smalltongue:)/randomness(:smallsigh:) you give.

Reflavor, reflavor, reflavor?

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of RAW ways to get the ability to fly at low levels. An airsoul genasi can fly 8 squares as a move action 1/encounter, and Melora's Storm Blessing (level 3 slotless magic item) can let you fly 5 squares as a move action 1/encounter. An arcane familiar in Soarwood Wings form can let you fly 6 squares as a move action 1/encounter.

If you play a character with teleporting abilities, you might as well reflavor them as flight.

If that's sufficient, awesome. You're a bat. Play whatever class you want.

(I personally would just let you have a flight speed, if you've got your heart set on the bat thing. Wouldn't break the game too hard or anything.)