PDA

View Full Version : Pop some Pills

Cyanic
2009-11-24, 12:20 PM
Use alchemy skill to reduce a liquid potion into a viable powder that be can pressed into an oral tablet. Suggested DC 15 alchemy to successfully reduce the potion and DC (10+spell level) spellcraft check to ensure continued viability.

Had a PC ask to do this, I don't see a problem with it assuming the one condition listed below, which he of course agreed to.

Taking one (1) tablet is a standard action, retriving one (1) tablet from container is a move action. Both provoke AoOs.

Anyone think up a relevant way this could be abused ?

dsmiles
2009-11-24, 12:30 PM
Depends.

Is the original potion an alchemical item or a magical item?

Somehow I feel that magical items should require a Know:Arcana or Spellcraft check so as not to lose potency during the process.

Cyanic
2009-11-24, 12:33 PM
Depends.

Is the original potion an alchemical item or a magical item?

Somehow I feel that magical items should require a Know:Arcana or Spellcraft check so as not to lose potency during the process.

Magical normally, and good point, edited OP.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-11-24, 01:15 PM
Anyone think up a relevant way this could be abused?

Considering the actions are the same as they usually would be? No...at least, not without creative thinking. I suppose an oral tablet could be concealed in the cheek, allowing people to bypass security checks and the like while still concealing potentially deadly potions (firebreath and other self-empowering potions, for example). Still, I don't think it really merits worry: sufficiently skilled players will be able to do all of that without this item anyway, so I wouldn't be to concerned.

dsmiles
2009-11-24, 01:47 PM
Off-Topic:

Maybe an oral mist like in the horribly overrated Blade 2 (or was it 3)?

It would take a move action to use it, and a free action to spit out the delivery system, and it could be put in your mouth beforehand.

EDIT: Just throwin' it out there...

Fortuna
2009-11-24, 01:52 PM
I see no problem at all (but see my sig). I suggest that by way of actual mechanical benefit you reduce weight and/or give a bonus to Sleight of Hand checks to conceal them.

Raiki
2009-11-24, 02:55 PM
I actually had this see use in a game I played in quite a few years back. There weren't really any problems that our group saw, even though we let people pop handfulls at a time.

The major things that limit the abusability of this tactic is A) We made the pill form cost 1.5x as much as the potion (limiting the number that can be crafted per day) and B) The fact that potions (and by extension pills) can't hold spells above 3rd level.

Honestly, unless you have a PC in the Master Alchemist PrC (that lets you brew up to 9th level potions) I don't think you'd have any real problems.

Ouranos
2009-11-24, 03:25 PM
Yeah. Really the big advantage isn't stupidly abusable: They aren't in glass bottles anymore. Less likely to break them, less weight to carry (bag of holding not needed JUST for potions now!). Cheaper to transport. Why heck, you can have real corner drug stores with the apothecary turning potions to pills for a profit himself. Imagine a blacksmith whose wife keeps around 3-4 of the things in their house, something little like Cure Minor Wounds, for when he drops something on his toes. While for players these would be difficult to truly abuse, they can make the cummunities at large far healthier and happier places. If the corner drug store can order a case of these things without having to pay extra for padding and careful transportation, they become affordable for the villagers.

Animato
2009-11-24, 03:45 PM
I find no way to abuse of your idea and I like it very much.
As a side note the players must pay an effort to have the pills instead of the potions or to pay an alchemist for the conversion, so if they come up with a cleaver trick in order to do something not only they aren't abusing of your homebrew, You'll probably give 'em an xp bonus, they deserve it.

Oh, and magic pills are perfect in a HighMagicPunk setting like the mine...:smallwink: