PDA

View Full Version : The Table Menaces with Spikes....

AtwasAwamps
2009-11-24, 12:34 PM
So…I need some help. I am trying to design an encounter and I can’t find anything about how I should stat up these opponents!

I want the PCs to walk into what is apparently a very nice sitting room and proceed to be attacked by it. I want them to be under assault by bookshelves hurling books in anger, tables attempting bulrushes, and potentially a fern making grapple checks.

Obviously these things would be constructs, but I’m trying to find some semblance of rules for them before I give up and just homebrew the damn things. Any idea where I could find rules on sentient combat furniture?

Also, how much damage would a thrown book do?

They’re going to hate me…

EldritchExMachina
2009-11-24, 12:36 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/animateObjects.htm
That might be a very good starting point.

Tables would be a Large animated object with the trample ability. The fern a medium one with the constrict ability, and I'd say books would be the tiny ones.

AtwasAwamps
2009-11-24, 12:39 PM
...I totally missed that. I'm a moron. thank you so much!

The Random NPC
2009-11-24, 01:55 PM
Or, if you don't mind doing some updating from as far back as 1.0, try the ROOM OF DEATH (death, death, death). It is a room with a Lurker Above (looks like the ceiling), a Trapper (lookis like the floor), at least 4 Stun Jellies (looks like the wall), and Mimics (looks like containers). And that's just the basics. If you really want to get nasty the bed could be an animated object, with a Sheet Phantom (looks like a sheet) and a Killer Pillow (looks like a pillow), the wardrob could be a Mimic filled with Cloakers and Mawlers (cloaks and other pieces of clothing), have piles of Lock Lurkers (looks like gold pieces, with a scorpion tail), and Raggamoffyns (looks like piles of clothing/armor). There are many more, but you'll have to find those on your own.

arguskos
2009-11-24, 01:56 PM
Don't forget the Xavier! The swordmimic! :smallbiggrin:

The Random NPC
2009-11-24, 01:58 PM
D'oh, I ment to put that in there, but I got a little too excited and forgot.

Lycanthromancer
2009-11-24, 02:00 PM
A near-invisible gelatinous cube, so that the very air itself will dissolve your flesh.

Alternately, a bunch of invisible stalkers that meld together to form one giant invisible stalker.

Kantolin
2009-11-24, 02:58 PM
Be sure to set any dwarves on fire. Dwarves get frustratingly stupid when set on fire.

*Grumble*

More relevantly, though, you could also have a greater invisible'd wizard / wu jen / sorceror / something using teleknesis (Or possibly magnetism, in the case of the Wu Jen) for extra hurling of objects. Mixed with actual animated objects, that could cause a bunch of confusion.

AtwasAwamps
2009-11-24, 03:03 PM
Does this seem balanced to you? The Encounter would be in a 50 x 50 room, square. The
Party is 4 level 3 characters (Fighter, Cleric, Psion, Rogue). The opposing team is:

1 High Quality Mahogany Table
2 Wrought Iron Tables w/ 2 Incredibly Angry Stick Ferns riding them
4 Bookshelves of Bad Romance Novels

High-Quality Mahogany Table
Size: Large
52 HP
Speed: 40 ft
Init; +0
AC: 14 Touch: 9 Flat Footed: 14
Hardness: 5

BAB: +3
Grapple: +10

Slam +5 melee (1d8+4)
Reach: 10 feet

Fort +1, Ref +1, Will -4

Str 16, Dex 10, Con -, Int -, Wis 1, Cha 1

Special: Can Trample, despite hardness

Incredibly Angry Sticky Fern
Size: Small
15 HP
Speed: 0
Init: +1
AC: 14 Touch: 12 Flatfooted: 13
Hardness: 0
(Note: Sundering the pot kills this target)

BAB 0
Grapple (special): +5

Slam +1 melee (1d4)
Reach: Adjacent

Fort +0, Ref +1, Will -5

Str 10, Dex 12, Con -, Int -, Wis 1, Cha 1

Special: Can Blind. If opponent breaks free of blind/grapple with an opposed check, stick fern is destroyed.

Well Wrought Iron Table
Size: Medium
31 HP
AC 14 Touch 10 Flat Footed 14
Hardness 10
Speed: 50 ft
Init: +0

BAB: +1
Grapple: +2

Slam +2 Melee (1d6+1)
Reach: Adjacent

Fort +0, Ref +0, Will -5
Str 12, Dex 10, Con -, Int -, Wis 1, Cha 1

Bookshelf of Bad Romance Novels
Size: Medium
40 HP
AC 12 Touch 10 Flat Footed 12
Hardness 5
Speed: 0
Init: +0

Fort +0, Ref +0, Will -5
Str 12, Dex 10, Con -, Int -, Wis 1, Cha 1

BAB: +2
Grapple: +0 (special)

Throw Book +2 Range (inc. 10) 1d4+1
Fall Over: Target makes a DC 18 reflex save. If the save is made, no result. Bookshelf falls over and deals 2d10 damage to target, pinning it as if grappled. Target makes a DC 10 strength check next turn to break free of pin as a move action. Failure = Continued pin. Success = no longer pinned.

TheCountAlucard
2009-11-24, 04:57 PM
What if you used the stats for an assassin vine for the fern, instead of those of an animated object? :sabine: You know you want tooooooo...

Kyrthain
2009-11-24, 05:13 PM
Or, if you don't mind doing some updating from as far back as 1.0, try the ROOM OF DEATH (death, death, death). It is a room with a Lurker Above (looks like the ceiling), a Trapper (lookis like the floor), at least 4 Stun Jellies (looks like the wall), and Mimics (looks like containers). And that's just the basics. If you really want to get nasty the bed could be an animated object, with a Sheet Phantom (looks like a sheet) and a Killer Pillow (looks like a pillow), the wardrob could be a Mimic filled with Cloakers and Mawlers (cloaks and other pieces of clothing), have piles of Lock Lurkers (looks like gold pieces, with a scorpion tail), and Raggamoffyns (looks like piles of clothing/armor). There are many more, but you'll have to find those on your own.

And all this is inside a greater mimic...

The Random NPC
2009-11-24, 05:29 PM
Which is inside a House Mimic.

Jack Mann
2009-11-24, 05:48 PM
Which rests on a genius loci.

tyckspoon
2009-11-24, 06:09 PM
Which is embedded in the Plane of Flesh.

sofawall
2009-11-24, 06:37 PM
Which is- Wait, what?

tyckspoon
2009-11-24, 06:46 PM
I knew I should have made that a link, but I didn't feel like doing a search at the moment..Zeta Kai's Plane of Flesh (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53869)