PDA

View Full Version : Invocations VS Spells

Radiun
2009-11-24, 08:28 PM
I'd like to list the general pro's and cons of each please.
Which is superior in which department as it were.

Invocations
Self buffs
Repetition of utility effects
Cursing enemies
Dispelling Effects
Duration

Spells
General Effectiveness/Power
Range
Area of Effect
Ally buffs
Variety

Any others?

Woodsman
2009-11-24, 08:30 PM
Invocations: Unlimited use

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-24, 08:41 PM
Why are invocations better self-buffs? Last I checked cleric spells were much fancier. Why are they better debuffs?

aje8
2009-11-24, 08:44 PM
Why are invocations better self-buffs? Last I checked cleric spells were much fancier. Why are they better debuffs?
+1 on the debuffs thing.

On self-buffs...... incovation buffs last all day, but are weaker on the whole.

Radiun
2009-11-24, 08:45 PM

Duration mostly

Bestow curse or eldritch essences applied over and over are bound to get through unless your DM has blessed die

Yzzyx
2009-11-24, 08:48 PM
+1 on the debuffs thing.

On self-buffs...... incovation buffs last all day, but are weaker on the whole.

That's the whole thing about invocations: they last all day/can be used unlimited times per day, but are almost always weaker, for the level you get them at.

Dusk Eclipse
2009-11-24, 10:01 PM
Is there an Invocation that mimics bestow curse? where?

invocations
Pros:they have a better fluff (at least in my opinion), they are spameable, I think that at lower levels they are better

con: really few about 20 IIRC if you take 20 lvls of warlok (DFA might have more but I am not that familiar with the class.

Spells
Pros: at higher levels they pretty much own invocations in every way except duration and uses per day. They are more powerful, greater versatility, I bet there is a spell (or inovdative aplication of such spell) for almost if not every situation you might fing

Cons: Limited Uses per day, in some campaings it might be difficult to get spells out of the ones you gain automatically when you level up

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-24, 10:07 PM
Apples to oranges.

Spells have more bang for your buck, hands down. But invocations will go all day and all night.

Radiun
2009-11-24, 10:11 PM
Is there an Invocation that mimics bestow curse? where?

Curse of despair, complete arcane 132...ish

Dusk Eclipse
2009-11-24, 10:16 PM
Curse of despair, complete arcane 132...ish

thanks, now I know whats the next invocation my warlock is going to take when he levels up