PDA

View Full Version : So are we playing pathfinder or 3.5?

Akisa
2009-11-25, 12:33 AM
By far I prefer 3.5 by far and find Pathfinder tolerable, I tend to hate nerfs and the CMD/B system. Nevertheless the current game I'm gming I take some elements from pathfinder, like several the class adjustment but I keep cleric, druid and spells the same.

jmbrown
2009-11-25, 12:34 AM
I've rekindled my love in AD&D and switched back to that :D

I have the Pathfinder book and I've been reading it off and on but there's no one in my area who also plays.

BobVosh
2009-11-25, 12:36 AM
I've rekindled my love in AD&D and switched back to that :D

I have the Pathfinder book and I've been reading it off and on but there's no one in my area who also plays.

I have been missing 2ed. :/

However I am in 3 PF games, and am running one.

Glimbur
2009-11-25, 12:38 AM
I'm sticking to 3.5...

..when I'm not playing Rogue Trader or Wuthering Heights or some houseruled abomination based on d20 but with Advanced d20 casting and E6 and... it's different.

Akal Saris
2009-11-25, 12:39 AM
You're playing 3.5, from the description :P

I'd say you're playing PF when you use the PF skills system, the additional PF feats (though maybe not changing existing ones), and at least half of the base classes are their PF variants.

Akisa
2009-11-25, 12:44 AM
You're playing 3.5, from the description :P

I'd say you're playing PF when you use the PF skills system, the additional PF feats (though maybe not changing existing ones), and at least half of the base classes are their PF variants.

speaking of the PF feats, I hate their version of power attack.

mikeejimbo
2009-11-25, 12:47 AM
I'm sticking to 3.5...

..when I'm not playing Rogue Trader or Wuthering Heights or some houseruled abomination based on d20 but with Advanced d20 casting and E6 and... it's different.

The Wuthering Heights RPG seems interesting, but poorly translated. Unless you're speaking of a different Wuthering Heights RPG about which I do not know.

Glimbur
2009-11-25, 12:59 AM
The Wuthering Heights RPG seems interesting, but poorly translated. Unless you're speaking of a different Wuthering Heights RPG about which I do not know.

It's fairly tongue in cheek, at least how I read it. Also, the problem table needs work. I have a couple alternates for different settings, if you're interested.

bosssmiley
2009-11-25, 08:33 AM
By far I prefer 3.5 by far and find Pathfinder tolerable, I tend to hate nerfs and the CMD/B system. Nevertheless the current game I'm gming I take some elements from pathfinder, like several the class adjustment but I keep cleric, druid and spells the same.

You're playing D&D. Houseruling the game to fit your own preferences is expected.

Temet Nosce
2009-11-25, 08:37 AM
I steal some houserules from PF (particularly the lack of EXP costs and a few races/classes) but mostly use 3.5.

ErrantX
2009-11-25, 10:24 AM
My group is running through the Rise of the Runelords adventure path with our newbie DM (one of my players trying his hand to give me a much needed break) and I'm enjoying it alot.

Pathfinder requires to you to step back and take in one incredibly important idea: This is only the core book. When we were all getting our 3.5 (or 3.0 books, as the case may be) it was disappointing because we didn't have kits or what not, and there wasn't anything beyond core. It just was what it was. Well, Pathfinder is in that stage of awkward infancy. It has the dubious honor of being based on 3.5 strongly enough that we all want to use our other 3.5 books to turn Pathfinder into the abomination that 3.5 became after a while. If you just run a core PF game, it's really pretty easy and fun. It's like a return to innocence. I don't look at it as 3.5, I found it helped a lot when I started looking at it as it's own unique game.

In my next game, I will probably be running it with PF rules.

-X

Devils_Advocate
2009-11-25, 07:26 PM
Well, obviously, 3.5 is a blegg and Pathfinder is a rube. (http://lesswrong.com/lw/nm/disguised_queries/)

:smallwink:

Rixx
2009-11-25, 08:14 PM
Pathfinder is good fun, especially to introduce new folk. It cleans up a lot of stuff that was needlessly complicated, like the skill system.

Paul H
2009-11-25, 08:18 PM
Hi

Currently playing in two Pathfinder games - a 'homebrew campaign' and the 'Living' PFS (replacing Living Greyhawk).

Also involved in four homebrew 3.5 campaigns.

Cheers
Paul H

pres_man
2009-11-26, 01:24 AM
3.5. Didn't switch for 4e, didn't swith for PF. They'll have to pry the books from my cold undead hands.