PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The Warlock-The Base Class Redone!

Shadowbane
2009-11-25, 01:46 AM
Work in Progress.

I am Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead, and the Mayor of a Little Village up on the coast. Very scenic during the springtime. You should visit sometime.

Ah, warlocks. Beings that traded their humanity for great power because of great greed.

Alignment: Any nonlawful.

Hit Die: d6

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Reflex|Willpower|Fortitude|Special
1|+0|+0|+2|+2| Eldritch Blast 1d6, Soul Jar, Warlock Knife, Undead Form (optional)
2|+1|+0|+3|+3| Mold the Body (Optional), Hellfire, Imp
3|+2|+1|+3|+3|Eldritch Blast 2d6, Abyssal Lightning
4|+3|+1|+4|+4| Frost of Agony, Whisper of Fell Wings, Soul Jar II
5|+3|+1|+4|+4|Eldritch Blast 3d6, Hide from Devils
6|+4|+2|+5|+5| Spear of Hatred, Ingest Magic
7|+5|+2|+5|+5|Eldritch Blast 4d6, Abyssal Arc
8|+6/+1|+6|+6|+2| Soul Jar III
9|+6/+1|+6|+6|+3|Eldritch Blast 5d6
10|+7/+2|+3|+7|+7| Horror of Horrors
11|+8/+3|+3|+7|+7|Eldritch Blast 6d6
12|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8| Soul Jar IV
13|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8|Eldritch Blast 7d6
14|+10/+5|+4|+9|+9| Legion's Eyes
15|+11/+6/+1|+5|+9|+9|Eldritch Blast 8d6
16|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10| Soul Jar V
17|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10|Eldritch Blast 9d6
18|+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+11| Forge Thy Destiny
19|+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+11|Eldritch Blast 10d6
20|+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+12| Soul Jar VI[/table]

Eldritch Blast: The first ability a warlock learns is eldritch blast. A warlock attacks his foes with eldritch power, using baleful magical energy to deal damage and sometimes impart other debilitating effects.
An eldritch blast is a ray with a range of 60 feet. It is a ranged touch attack that affects a single target, allowing no saving throw. An eldritch blast deals 1d6 points of damage at 1st level and increases in power as the warlock rises in level. An eldritch blast is the equivalent of a spell whose level is equal to one-half the warlock’s class level (round down), with a minimum spell level of 1st and a maximum of 9th when a warlock reaches 18th level or higher.

An eldritch blast is subject to spell resistance, although the Spell Penetration feat and other effects that improve caster level checks to overcome spell resistance also apply to eldritch blast. An eldritch blast deals half damage to objects. Metamagic feats cannot improve a warlock’s eldritch blast (because it is a spell-like ability, not a spell). However, the feat Ability Focus (eldritch blast) increases the DC for all saving throws (if any) associated with a warlock’s eldritch blast by 2. See page 303 of the Monster Manual.

Soul Jar: At 1st level, the Warlock's first Soul Jar is forged. It is usually a small diamond shaped blood red stone that the warlock wears around his neck or on a gauntlet. This does not take up a magic item slot. The Soul Jar has the following abilities:

Once a day...
-The Warlock can give up his physical form and enter the soul jar. The soul jar can then be carried around by another being. The warlock can then return to his physical form as a free action, though he is stunned for two rounds upon returning. In addition, the being carrying the soul jar can use it as a magic item that takes up the throat slot, and gains the ability to use the warlock's eldritch blast and any abilities modifying that ability.

-The Warlock can use the soul jar to, when it is placed on another being's throat, switch his soul with that body's soul, effectively taking control of the body. He can sustain this for 6 rounds + his constitution modifier. During this time he keeps their physical stats while retaining his mental stats and retaining his warlock abilities.

At 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th and 20th levels the warlock becomes able to create another soul jar. These extra soul jars he wears about his person, and when he is wearing all the soul jars he has created he gains a +1/soul jar deflection bonus to AC. He can give these soul jars to his companions, and teleport from soul jar to soul jar as a free action, though each teleport removes one of his 6 + constitution modifier rounds he can use to take control of another's body.

Warlock Knife: The warlock can create a knife of energyas a free action. This weapon has a +1 enhance at 4th level, a +2 at 8th, a +3 at 12th, +4 at 16th, and +5 at 20th. The weapon deals negative energy damage, and the warlock can create and dissolve the blade as a free action. Any attacks made with the knife are considered touch attacks. The knife deals an energy type that the warlock selects each time he creates the knife.

Undead Form: The warlock can choose to become an undead. He gains the following traits:

-All current and future hit dice become d12s.
-No Constitution score.
-Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
-Uses its Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.
-Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
-Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.
-Proficient with its natural weapons, all simple weapons, and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
-Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep.

In addition, the warlock gains a vulnerability to fire.

Mold the Body: Instead of becoming an undead, the warlock can choose to gain the following abilities:

-Alter Self at will as a changeling.
-Immunity to poisons, death effects and ability drain.
-Gain a +2 bonus to all Charisma-related skills.
-Gain darkvision out to 60 feet.
-The warlock takes a -2 on saves against illusions.

Hellfire: The warlock gains the option to deal fire damage with his eldritch blast.

Imp: The warlock gains an imp (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/devil.htm#imp) as a familiar.

Abyssal Lightning: The warlock gains the option to deal lightning damage with his eldritch blast.

Frost of Agony: The warlock gains the option to deal ice damage with his eldritch blast.

Whisper of Fell Wings: The warlock gains the ability to fly at his base land speed at will with good manuverability.

Hide from Devils: The warlock gains the ability to use invisibility as the spell.

Spear of Hatred: The warlock gains the ability to shape his eldritch blast into a 250 foot line.

Ingest Magic: The warlock gains the ability to use dispel magic as the spell, and gains temporary hit points equal to the spell level of the spell dispelled.

Abyssal Arc: The warlock gains the ability to shape his eldritch blast into a 30 foot cone.

Horror of Horrors: The warlock gains the ability to use confusion as the spell.

Legion's Eyes: The warlock gains the ability to use Geas/Quest (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/geasQuest.htm) as the spell.

Forge Thy Destiny: The warlock gains the ability to use the foresight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/foresight.htm) spell at will.

togapika
2009-11-25, 02:42 AM
And what of those warlocks who bartered with fey or celestials for their power? Must they too be branded with the trappings of evil?

Lapak
2009-11-25, 10:25 AM
Interesting idea, and I the reference is clear enough. I think it needs some tinkering, though. (I realize that it's a work in progress, just giving you my impressions.)

Warlock Knife indicates on the one hand that it is negative energy damage and on the other that the warlock gets to choose the type; which is it? Also, I'd say creating/dissolving the blade should be at least a swift action rather than a free one.

Both Foresight at will and Geas at will are incredibly powerful. Throw Foresight on yourself and everyone in the party, keep it up all day; that's a pretty good buff. But the Geas at-will is what really gets me, since the spell affects everything and has no save. Being able to toss an irresistible quest on everything you meet has the potential to completely break the game out of combat.

Aside from those things, the powers seem all right, but it's a very one-note class. Even more than many, it can do ONLY one thing well - any situation where spell-based direct damage isn't going to help leaves this guy out in the cold, which is a disadvantage when compared to the standard version's ability to choose a limited number of utility invocations.

Anonymouswizard
2009-11-25, 11:00 AM
Interesting idea, and I the reference is clear enough. I think it needs some tinkering, though. (I realize that it's a work in progress, just giving you my impressions.)

Warlock Knife indicates on the one hand that it is negative energy damage and on the other that the warlock gets to choose the type; which is it? Also, I'd say creating/dissolving the blade should be at least a swift action rather than a free one.

Both Foresight at will and Geas at will are incredibly powerful. Throw Foresight on yourself and everyone in the party, keep it up all day; that's a pretty good buff. But the Geas at-will is what really gets me, since the spell affects everything and has no save. Being able to toss an irresistible quest on everything you meet has the potential to completely break the game out of combat.

Aside from those things, the powers seem all right, but it's a very one-note class. Even more than many, it can do ONLY one thing well - any situation where spell-based direct damage isn't going to help leaves this guy out in the cold, which is a disadvantage when compared to the standard version's ability to choose a limited number of utility invocations.

Agreed. Let them choose a small number of SLAs from a list, maybe including non-damage Eldritch blasts (note, need to make an eldritch essence that exchanges the damage for negative levels, is that lesser, greater or dark?)

acedrow
2009-11-25, 11:07 AM
Hrm... Seems a wee bit overpowered, what with the zombie transformation at fist level, the soul jar ability also seems like it could be exploited, I mean, you can exist in a small stone for an unlimited amount of time, I suppose it's slightly balanced by the fact that it can only be done once per day... also, are you items also transported into the jar? If so, it's rife for exploitation. You should also specify whether you need to eat/drink/breathe while in the jar.

As for the zombie form, it really has no downsides, as the hit die bonus, fort. save bonus, and the lack of eating/breathing/sleeping makes it incredibly overpowered, ESPECIALLY at first level, people would simply take one level of the class to get the first level abilities, which should be accumulated over time.

Perhaps you could add a speed penalty, a charisma penalty, and maybe restrictions to some other abilities (say, you can't cast spells). This would balance out undead form somewhat, otherwise, there's simply no point of NOT being in this form.

Shadowbane
2009-11-26, 04:35 PM
Duly noted, thank you all! For the undead form, I'm going to say speed penalty and a penalty to reflex saves, as well as a dexterity and strength penalty. E.g. -2 Strength and Dex, -5 feet to speed, and -2 to all reflex saves?

Also, for the spell-like abilities, I plead complete lack of inspiration. Suggestions?

Anonymouswizard
2009-11-27, 12:46 PM
Duly noted, thank you all! For the undead form, I'm going to say speed penalty and a penalty to reflex saves, as well as a dexterity and strength penalty. E.g. -2 Strength and Dex, -5 feet to speed, and -2 to all reflex saves?

Also, for the spell-like abilities, I plead complete lack of inspiration. Suggestions?

Try, I don't know, Invocations?

Shadowbane
2009-11-27, 01:15 PM
I wanted to do something different.

sdream
2009-11-28, 10:24 AM
Choices. Give them choices.

In my redo of base classes (off and on over here http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127807) I used class perks. These are like high level rogue abilities, you get to choose whichever tickles your fancy.

In that way you can give each class many powerful options, and still:
- each player is unique in their choices of options
- because they must choose a small subset they are not overpowered

Suggestions for you:

Odd levels gain +1d6 eldritch blast

Even levels choose a warlock perk (maybe start them with one perk also).

Geas - Can be placed on any one target at a time, but does not expire and cannot be removed except by the warlock who placed it. Better not kill the warlock who placed his curse upon you, or you suffer it forever. BTW Geas inherits from lesser geas which specifies that the target is compelled to obey the geas, although they may cleverly subvert it's intent, and the penalties are only accrued if they are prevented from performing it. Really lesser geas without duration would probably be better here, as no save stuff is sorta crass.

Foresight - can be placed on yourself or another - lasts until you choose to shift target.

Soul Eye - As long as a warlock lives, this small magical gem is indestructable, and he is aware of it's surroundings. This awareness provides him (or anyone telepathically linked with him) a +1 dodge bonus to AC in the vicinity of the eye. This perk may be taken multiple times to gain multiple eyes (and the dodge bonuses stack as always).

Eye Travel - As a full round action requiring concentration, a warlock may enter any of his soul eyes he is in contact with, taking up to his full load of gear and any familiars or animal companions with him. Inside the indestructible gem, you have no needs, and can wait safely and indefinitely. You remain aware of the surroundings of all your gems, and can take a full round action which requires concentration to exit from any one of them which has sufficient space around it for your corporeal form.
- Also note that a warlock may be trapped indefinitely if all his eyes are enclosed in spaces to small for his corporeal form.

Mind Eye - The warlock may establish a telepathic connection with anyone carrying one of his eyes. As a full round action requiring concentration he can attempt a contested charisma roll to force the bearer to perform any standard action. A will save DC 10+warlock level allows the vicitm to realize what is causing the actions. A willing bearer can allow the warlock to ride his body, controlling it utterly as if it was his own (physical stats remain the bearers, but skills and magical ability is the warlock's - including eye travel, if posessed). He may also attempt to listen to surface thoughts of the bearer (treat this as the bearer bluffing, with a -10 penalty if they are unaware they are being spied upon).

Weaponized Soul - As a move action the warlock can condense his eldritch power into concrete physical shape. It can take the form of any weapon he desires, which ignores spell resistance and has a bonus to hit equal to it's damage dice. Attacks with this weapon work just as any normal weapon of it's shape, except it retains it's damage dice, and x2 crit. While he is wielding the weapon, a warlock cannot use his eldritch blast. If the weapon leaves the warlock's hands, each turn on the warlock's turn, it loses one d6 of damage and bonus, and the warlock regains that d6 of eldritch blast damage. If struck with this weapon (and as a move action a warlock may strike himself if holding the weapon) the weapon disappears harmlessly and the warlock immediately regains his full eldritch blast dice.

Supernatural Toughness - Add +2/- to any DR you may posess. Any time you gain DR you may choose to add it to you DR rating, but all the DR is then cut by any of the weaknesses (example - take this twice for DR4/-, then take fey skin for DR6/cold iron, then get lycanthropized for DR11/cold iron or silver)

Energy resistance - Add +10 Energy resistance of any one type you desire. May take a second time on the same energy for immunity, and multiple times for multiple types of energy. Types are - Fire, ice, electricity, acid, positive, negative