PDA

View Full Version : LV 100 Duel. Need Help!!

Pages : 1 [2]

HamHam
2009-11-29, 03:23 PM
You can't* really reduce level adjustments higher than 6, and to get down from 6 to 0 you'd need...
{table=head]
Class levels | ECL | Adjusted ECL
18 | 24 | 23
33 | 38 | 37
45 | 49 | 48
54 | 57 | 56
60 | 62 | 61
63 | 64 | 63[/table]

Okay, so he can't even buy off lich+drow in the stated time.

Note, if we wanted to try to figure out where he is at his +12

{table=head]
36 | 48 | 47
69 | 80 | 79
99 | 109 | 108
126 | 135 | 134
150 | 158 | 157
171 | 178 | 177
189 | 195 | 194
204 | 209 | 208
216 | 220 | 219
225 | 228 | 227
231 | 233 | 232
234 | 235 | 234[/table]

So at level 234 he can have bought off his +12 adjustment. :smalltongue:

*by "can't" I mean in a "generic" game that doesn't stray too far into epics. the rules do allow for reducing higher numbers as I show later.

This isn't really true because the LA is not coming from a single source. If you build the character from the ground up, as it where, you would buy off the Drow LA before becoming a Lich, and then buy of the Lich LA before becoming a Demilich.

So, you would buy off the Drow LA at levels 6 and 9, then become a Lich, then reduced the Lich LA by one at level 12, and again at level 21, 27, and 30.

That still leaves the Demi-lich part but it has no listed LA so...

Kylarra
2009-11-29, 03:36 PM
This isn't really true because the LA is not coming from a single source. If you build the character from the ground up, as it where, you would buy off the Drow LA before becoming a Lich, and then buy of the Lich LA before becoming a Demilich.

So, you would buy off the Drow LA at levels 6 and 9, then become a Lich, then reduced the Lich LA by one at level 12, and again at level 21, 27, and 30.

That still leaves the Demi-lich part but it has no listed LA so...
The level reduction buyoff doesn't actually have rules for buying off inherited templates, so assuming they can buy it off like that is rather sketchy.

Simply because it means you should start off as an LA +1 race, acquire a +2 LA template between class levels 3 and 6, buy that off by level 9, and have +3 LA worth of adjustment bought off at ecl 9. Granted, you'll be about a level behind everyone else more or less, but it doesn't matter.

A more "fair" reading for staggered LA would be either to require them to gain the normal 3*LA class levels since they acquired their current LA, or of course the combined one which would involve refunding spent exp for buyoff because they no longer qualify with their new LA.

Now if we staggered it as so, it's a "little" more reasonable as it clears at level 41, though it leaves the demilich out of the equation
{table=head]
6 | 8 | 7
9 | 10 | 9
11 | 15 | 15*
23 | 27 | 26
32 | 35 | 34
38 | 40 | 39
41 | 42 | 41
41 | 49 | 49**
65 | 73 | 72
86 | 93 | 92
104 | 110 | 115
119 | 124 | 123
131 | 135 | 134
140 | 143 | 142
146 | 148 | 147
149 | 150 | 149[/table]

*Assuming lichdom achieved asap.
**Assuming demilichdom delayed until lichdom is bought off and the +8 found by Narazil

So even with some marginal amount of inheritance abuse, still not done until level 150

mostlyharmful
2009-11-29, 04:40 PM
Yes, but hyperbole involving coke&hooker related conspiracies ends up being so much more amusing.

conspiracies? It's only a conspiracy if they're not out there!!! No, wait, that's paranoia isn't it?

A much better dueling tactic would be to remove your pants, seize his character sheet, and dance around the room whistling a jaunty tune while setting it ablaze.

Nice. I like it. Especially the no pants thing which serves no purpose whatsoever even in this rather unorthodox fight style. This gets my new vote. One vote for depantification please moderator!

Volkov
2009-11-29, 05:07 PM
once again, I repeat: NO EPIC MAGIC. The rules remain the same, this is simply the in-game effects.

Without Epic magic, then the outcome is in doubt. Demi-liches are immune to most forms of magic, and the ones that do affect them only affect them in a minor way. Not to mention, a Demi-lich can kill you instantly by sucking out your soul. Even succeeding gets you slapped with four negative levels. You could try death ward, but that can be dispelled. Actually scratch in doubt...You are royally screwed.

HamHam
2009-11-29, 06:46 PM
Doesn't being immune to magic negate your ability to buff yourself?

I still think ToB + caster levels to pierce his defenses is the best way to go.

Volkov
2009-11-29, 06:50 PM
Doesn't being immune to magic negate your ability to buff yourself?

I still think ToB + caster levels to pierce his defenses is the best way to go.

A demi-liches list of powers is so utterly ridiculous that buffs aren't exactly needed.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-29, 06:51 PM
Nice. I like it. Especially the no pants thing which serves no purpose whatsoever even in this rather unorthodox fight style. This gets my new vote. One vote for depantification please moderator!

Technically, it also serves as the best anti-grappling technique known. Nobody wants to grapple the dancing naked man.

root9125
2009-11-29, 07:00 PM
Technically, it also serves as the best anti-grappling technique known. Nobody wants to grapple the dancing naked man.

I thought the most effective anti-grapple device was the grappling rules. :smallbiggrin:

Temotei
2009-11-29, 07:05 PM

I second this.

The Glyphstone
2009-11-29, 07:39 PM
Without Epic magic, then the outcome is in doubt. Demi-liches are immune to most forms of magic, and the ones that do affect them only affect them in a minor way. Not to mention, a Demi-lich can kill you instantly by sucking out your soul. Even succeeding gets you slapped with four negative levels. You could try death ward, but that can be dispelled. Actually scratch in doubt...You are royally screwed.

Hence why the only effective solutions are either a Undead Disintegrator of Pelor build with every trick in the book to boost that CHA check and dust him, or an Incantatrix with Contingent Remove Limits throwing a Maximized Empowered Twinned Shatter followed by a Quickened Maximized Empowered Twinned Shatter, and as many more of such as you have Multispell slots*. It's rocket tag with nuclear warheads, and the only way to win is to shoot first.
(Or not to play.)
*Roughly 804 damage per spell, 402 after his 1/2 damage, 201 if he makes his save, so a minimum of 402 damage in Round 1 without any Multispell feats, of which you could have quite a few.

AirGuitarGod32
2009-11-29, 08:56 PM
I like the Undead Disentegrator of Pelor

Another_Poet
2009-11-29, 09:17 PM
Yeah just do some searches on the playground for topics like "tippyverse", "chain-gating solars", "infinite loop", and "simulacrum abuse", and you'll find everything you need. If he's still vulnerable to any sort of attack at all by level 100, then he really doesn't know what the heck he's doing and you could probably beat him even with a level 30 character.

This, and I suggest investing the other 70 levels in Commoner just so it really hurts when you win. Or Half-Orc Paragon or something similar.

Eldritch_Ent
2009-11-29, 11:51 PM
Here's my suggestion-
Don't go through with this duel. He's clearly not worth your time.

If you insist on it anyway-
be a Lernean Multi-Headed Half Clay Golem.

It will only take a +9 LA adjustment (Less than your opponent's, so it should be good, right?).

Then take a two-headed sword.
Enchant the two heads of the sword with the Spellblade enchantment. The one that's a flat bonus that lets you redirect one spell. Then pick two of the following-

Disintegrate, Move Earth, Earthquake
Disjunction, Dispel, Greater Dispel,

These are the only four spells that will affect you, let alone hurt you.

The downside is you will be berzerked for the entire battle. (However I think there's a prestige class- the Rage Mage- that lets you cast spells when berzerked. Take levels in barbarian, that, and your spellcasting class of choice.)

The upside is you will be invulnerable except to the six spells listed. The top three will actually damage you, the latter three will just shut down your defenses. Best part is, to actually kill you, they'll need to somehow apply fire damage directly to each of your neckstumps once they get them off... Which they can't.

Enjoy!

kemmotar
2009-11-30, 02:43 PM
(Or not to play.)

I support this hidden message...

Seriously, I read through this whole thread and have come to one conclusion...don't play...

Why? Simply because there's no way you can win. Even the worst forum monstrosity won't be able to win against this guy for one simple reason. He's gonna cheat in plain sight and he has no intention of letting you win. If you do present him with the ultimate invincible character he'll just say it's cheesed out and is cheating....

Even if you do win without maximum cheese, he's still not going to accept it. At least, that's the kind of person you've presented us.

D&D isn't about being the absolute powergamer and playing at level 100. Seriously, the game was hardly designed for level 20-30, much less 100. Combat also isn't the only part of the game. The best D&D player is one who can be part of the party, RP well (and that also means according to the gamestyle of the group), be reasonably good at character making and combat...and has fun while doing the above...

So in the end...you can just prove to him that he's not the best D&D player due to his belief that making a super optimised, cheesed out, screw the rules, abusive character makes him a good D&D player. These things were meant to be as interesting thought exercises and annoying stupid DMs...

As to the build, my vote goes for wizard/iotsv/incantatrix and abuse the same rules he's abusing as mentioned above. If you must fight fire with fire, use fire that burns through fire itself...I don't consider myself a powergamer, but I know that there are things floating around in this forum that go beyond powergaming and cheese...

If you wanna do beastick, find a way to become one of the emerald legion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101587) or preferably the whole legion...I don't know if there's a way without epic spells (you could just research an epic spell to split yourself and become an emerald legion swarm, but you banned epic magic)...might be interesting if possible:smalltongue:

mostlyharmful
2009-11-30, 03:05 PM

I thought that depended on what he's got under the hood. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0028.html)..

root9125
2009-11-30, 03:28 PM
The problem is that Epic magic can do anything. Infinity cannot beat Infinity. Though multiplying infinity by zero defeats infinity.

Technically that's an indeterminate form, and you'd have to use more advanced calculus to figure it out.

/pedant