PDA

View Full Version : Classes with Detect Evil at will?

Barbarian MD
2009-11-25, 12:14 PM
I'm looking for a class that has detect evil at will, but lacks the paladin code of conduct.

The basic idea is that I'm building an evil-hunting PC that lies, intimidates, and even disguises himself and goes undercover in order to accomplish his ends for the Greater Good.

Anybody know of any options? If all else fails, I suppose I can just take a few levels of cleric to have a limited number of uses, but I'd prefer to have it at-will.

Thanks!

One note: arcane magic detects as evil, so any arcane magic prestige classes are out.

jiriku
2009-11-25, 12:15 PM
Rainbow Servant prestige class, from Complete Arcane.

Kylarra
2009-11-25, 12:17 PM
Church inquisitor from CDiv seems right up your alley really, alternatively Grey Guard from CScound.

Barbarian MD
2009-11-25, 12:20 PM
Thanks so much for the help!

EDIT: One last question, are there any that are base classes, and not prestige? Even homebrew might work.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-25, 12:21 PM
Incarnate might work, depending on your fluff.

Barbarian MD
2009-11-25, 12:24 PM
Argh, I should have been more specific. I wasn't thinking.

The class can't be an arcane caster. Arcane magic detects as evil in this campaign.

Kylarra
2009-11-25, 12:25 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm

Paladin of Freedom has all the goodness of the normal paladin with 95% less stick up the bum.

Zovc
2009-11-25, 12:25 PM
Argh, I should have been more specific. I wasn't thinking.

The class can't be an arcane caster. Arcane magic detects as evil in this campaign.

Incarnum isn't arcane magic, I don't think.

Optimystik
2009-11-25, 12:29 PM
Sacred Exorcist (CDiv) gets it at second level.

Corrupt Avenger and Purifier of the Hallowed Doctrine get something similar as well. Both are in Heroes of Horror.

Barbarian MD
2009-11-25, 12:29 PM
Incarnum isn't arcane magic, I don't think.

I hadn't checked incarnum yet, but most of the other PrCs suggested would go out the window because of that restriction (because I'm an idiot and didn't specify).

Optimystik
2009-11-25, 12:30 PM
I hadn't checked incarnum yet, but most of the other PrCs suggested would go out the window because of that restriction (because I'm an idiot and didn't specify).

The two listed from Complete Divine (Church Inquisitor and Sacred Exorcist) should work fine.

Zovc
2009-11-25, 12:31 PM

Oh, wouldn't you want to detect as evil, anyways? You are going undercover, right? :P

Barbarian MD
2009-11-25, 12:35 PM
Touche, sir.

I think the best option thus far would be to take 6-7 levels of cleric (pre-req) and then one of the prestige classes suggested.

Are there any classes or prestige classes or homebrews that don't require more than a couple of levels in something? I'd love to be able to get detect evil with only a 3 level investment (perhaps wishful thinking).

Zovc
2009-11-25, 12:42 PM
Touche, sir.

I think the best option thus far would be to take 6-7 levels of cleric (pre-req) and then one of the prestige classes suggested.

Are there any classes or prestige classes or homebrews that don't require more than a couple of levels in something? I'd love to be able to get detect evil with only a 3 level investment (perhaps wishful thinking).

Most prestige classes are designed for a character to be able to enter after level 5.

This usually manifests in something like +5 BAB, 3rd-level spells, or 8 ranks in a given skill. Some classes can be entered before they were intended thanks to content (either overlooked or) released later.

I'm AFB, so I can't exactly help you with early entry, and even if I wasn't, I'm not that sharp with stuff like that.

EDIT: That's not to say that you can't find something that needs 1 level of cleric in addition to what you already are doing, just that you probably won't find a prestige class easily accessible before character level 5.

Barbarian MD
2009-11-25, 12:51 PM
You know, I hadn't thought about tacking it on at the end. That would eliminate things like BAB 5, or Skill X. It would still make things difficult if I had to have a certain ability in terms of level of casting or something, but that might be worked around.

*Going back to the previously suggested PrCs to take another look.*

Best option thus far: Cleric 3/Stuff X/Church Inquisitor 1

Akal Saris
2009-11-25, 12:53 PM
Cleric 3/Church Inquisitor 1.

Zovc
2009-11-25, 01:07 PM
Cleric 3/Church Inquisitor 1.

Also note that you can do a lot of cool stuff with cleric levels. Not only do you get two domain powers, but you get uses of Turn Undead, which can be used to power devotion feats from the Complete Champion.

So, that's four levels cut out of your build, unless you decide you want to invest more in either of those classes.

Charlie Kemek
2009-11-25, 01:12 PM

Paladin of Freedom has all the goodness of the normal paladin with 95% less stick up the bum.

This. this seems exactly what you're looking for.

Melamoto
2009-11-25, 03:51 PM

Not exactly. It still follows more or less the same code, and still can't associate with evil characters, use poison, etc. By RAW that isn't the case, but by RAI they only missed it out to shorten the entires.
The only intended difference is that instead of being a paragon of law and consistency, they are paragons of chaos. This can make them even worse party members than normal paladins.

Beelzebub1111
2009-11-25, 03:57 PM
Slayer of Domiel from Complete Divine.
Requirements:
Lawful Good
8 ranks in hide and move silently
Sanctify Martial Strike (+1 damage to evil creatures +1d4 to evil outsiders)
Servant of the Heavens (+1 luck bonus on roll while performing act of good)
Sneak attack +3d6, Evasion

It's like a good version of an assassin.

SaintRidley
2009-11-25, 04:05 PM
If you're interested in being a Paladin but being able to still do this, there is a PrC in Complete Scoundrel called the Gray Guard.

It advances your smiting and lay on hands, lets you shift your smiting to chaos as well, later lets you smite against any alignment, and pretty much removes the stick-in-arse class feature entirely.

Gray guards are paladins who will break fingers to get that information, who will use less than savoury means to infiltrate and bust up the evil guys, who will basically be able to use Miko tactics if justified without risking their status.

At 10th level, you gain your order’s
full confidence. You are granted the
freedom to act on behalf of your faith
as you deem necessary. Thus, you never risk losing your
class abilities in the pursuit of a just cause and never need
to atone for violating your code of conduct.

This trust does not grant you the freedom to act as
violently or immorally as you wish, however. Release
from your code of conduct depends on your acting as an
exemplar of your order’s ideals. If you violate this trust by
habitually acting in an immoral or corrupt manner, the
leaders or deity of your faith might revoke their blessing
and banish you from the ranks of the faithful

ericgrau
2009-11-25, 04:11 PM
Spend just 5,000 gp (if I understand correctly) on a pegasus and have it detect evil at will. They understand common, so you can arrange some kind of signal. Oh, and it flies. Now play any class you want. It has ok HP or worst case scenario you find and buy another.

Charlie Kemek
2009-11-25, 04:17 PM
if your DM is willing to alter the prerequisites, Vatic Gaze (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Vatic_Gaze) may be what you're looking for. It detects magic, which is evil in your campaign, right? It is supposed to only be for arcane casters, but I see no reason for it to not work with divine casters. This may not be exactly what you are looking for, but it's only a feat, and not a level.

Gecks
2009-11-25, 06:56 PM
if your DM is willing to alter the prerequisites, Vatic Gaze (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Vatic_Gaze) may be what you're looking for. It detects magic, which is evil in your campaign, right? It is supposed to only be for arcane casters, but I see no reason for it to not work with divine casters. This may not be exactly what you are looking for, but it's only a feat, and not a level.

If detect magic would works for detect evil, I would just splash Warlock 2. Has some good social skills which you would use anyway, and even some of the least invokations would be good for melee boom/sneakiness.

Charlie Kemek
2009-11-25, 07:19 PM
If detect magic would works for detect evil, I would just splash Warlock 2. Has some good social skills which you would use anyway, and even some of the least invokations would be good for melee boom/sneakiness.

but arcane magic is supposidly evil, so that will make you evil too. the other problem is that 2 levels is a lot worse to spend than 1 feat.

Thurbane
2009-11-25, 08:57 PM
You could ask your DM if a custom magic item is OK:

Amulet of Detect Evil (3000gp) (spell level 1 x caster level 1 x 2000gp x 1.5).

Window459
2009-11-25, 09:15 PM
The Champion of Gwynharwyf from The Book of Exalted Deeds. Your pretty much a badass barbarian version of a paladin, detect evil, smites, divine grace, spells, full rage progression, and all kinds of other cool abilities like casting your class spells while raging, the class makes me smile all you need it two feats rank 9 intimidate i think and be chaotic good and have a rage class feature