PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Bard Gish...

Zovc
2009-11-25, 12:22 PM
I'm thinking of something like Bard/Sublime Chord/Abjurant Champion.

What else should I throw in there? Maintaining skillmonkeyness is a plus, but I'd like to add martial prowess more than anything else.

Does Abjurant Champion fit, or do I just like the class too much?

Zovc
2009-11-25, 12:34 PM
Nevermind, I just realized I need 7 levels of Bard to get Sublime Chord...

What kind of early entry cheese is there for the Chord?

Human Paragon 3
2009-11-25, 01:22 PM
Obligitory post about snowflake war dance and dragon fire inspiration.

White Raven Tactics crusader.

Glimbur
2009-11-25, 02:33 PM

You don't need 7 levels of bard. You can get in with Bard 1 Wizard 5 (Filler) 4, since the skill requirements mean you can't get in before level 11... I've heard whispered rumors of ways to cheat that but don't know details.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-25, 02:53 PM
You don't need 7 levels of bard. You can get in with Bard 1 Wizard 5 (Filler) 4, since the skill requirements mean you can't get in before level 11... I've heard whispered rumors of ways to cheat that but don't know details.

MUHUHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Darrin
2009-11-25, 03:14 PM

Skillpoint-wise, none. Not even Favored/Primary Contact can get you into Sublime Chord early. As far as 3rd level spells, there are a lot of options there, but the usual Versatile Spellcaster, Improved Sigil: Krau, or Earth Sense/Earth Spell/Heighten Spell work just fine. (I believe Improved Sigil: Krau requires the least effort, but locks you into Illumian).

One of my favorite Sublime Chord gishes:

Magic-Blooded Desert Half-Orc
Bard 3/Warblade 2/Battle Howler of Gruumsh 4/Jade Phoenix Mage 1/Sublime Chord 2/JPM +4/Abjurant Champion 4 (Actually, Crusader might work better in there rather than Warblade.)

Duskblade 9/Warrior Skald 1/Sublime Chord 2/Abjurant Champion 5/Something 3 could also work, but requires a lot of creative skillpoint wankery.

There's also a four-level dip that can get you 3rd level spells: Duskblade 1 + Psi-Hunter 3 (from Dragon #281, full BAB and rapid spell advancement). Something like... Ranger 2/Warblade 2/Duskblade 1/Psi-Hunter 3/Warrior Skald 1/JPM 1/Sublime Chord 2/JPM +4/Abjurant Champion 4.

Mystic Ranger + Sword of the Arcane Order also has some interesting possibilities: Mystic Ranger 6/Warrior Skald 1/Eldritch Knight 1/Something 2/Sublime Chord 2/Eldritch Knight +8, but again, that one requires a little skillpoint shenannigans, or just switch Warrior Skald with a dip into Bard.

There are some other interesting options in Champions of Valor that might grant bardic music to Paladins... Initiate of Milil and/or From Smite to Song, but I haven't tinkered too much with those yet.

Keld Denar
2009-11-26, 03:06 AM
Harmoneous Knight Paladin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a) gets Inspire Courage at level 1. Paladin2/Sorcerer6/X2/SC2/AbjChamp5/SacEx3 or something similar would work. Heck, even Paladin4/Sorcerer6/SC2/AbjChamp5/SacEx3 would be decent.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-26, 03:07 AM
Skillpoint-wise, none.
There are one or two ways, but they're all of the type that will make your DM throw a book at you.

Wings of Peace
2009-11-26, 05:50 AM
There are one or two ways, but they're all of the type that will make your DM throw a book at you.

The real question is if the weight of the book would increase if you asked to just use Ur-Priest instead.

BobVosh
2009-11-26, 07:21 AM

Dragon-wrought kobold age category type stuff?

Darrin
2009-11-26, 07:59 AM

Could you elaborate? I'm only aware of the Favored/Primary Contact thing, which only works for one skill.

Wings of Peace
2009-11-26, 09:10 AM
Dragon-wrought kobold age category type stuff?

There's less Koboldy ways using heighten spell hijinxes.

Edit: Ignore me. I addressed the wrong part of the issue.

ex cathedra
2009-11-26, 09:15 AM
Could you elaborate? I'm only aware of the Favored/Primary Contact thing, which only works for one skill.

I'm not quite sure what specifically he's referencing, but a few things come to mind. Codex Anathema, Leech Ghost Skill, Inspire Greatness+Psychic Reformation.

CA is the only straight forward one there, the others require some doing.