PDA

View Full Version : Join my campaign...

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-11-25, 01:06 PM
... against the term "Turkey Day!"

All you Unitedstatesians out there - I'm not saying we shouldn't enjoy our turkey and football traditions, but PLEASE - food is not what November 26th is about. The holiday is called Thanksgiving, a day to remember to give thanks (religious or not). So, when someone says to you today "have a good Turkey Day," make your reply, "Happy Thanksgiving!"

Are you with me?!

Linkavitch
2009-11-25, 01:07 PM
Sure, but I've never had 'Happy Turkey Day' said to me before.

valadil
2009-11-25, 01:17 PM
But what if we're thankful for turkey? That's my favorite part of the holiday, and I'd much rather honor that than a generic thankfulness that could apply to anything.

Green Bean
2009-11-25, 01:50 PM
Turkey Day? Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you think I'd call it Turkey Day if there was the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I celebrated it 44 days ago.

:smalltongue:

Dr. Bath
2009-11-25, 01:53 PM
Happy familial arguments day!

What? All annual holidays are about arguments with family.

Ilena
2009-11-25, 01:59 PM
Happy turkey day? I would just look at that person funny until they squimishly walked away. :P

Pyrian
2009-11-25, 02:13 PM
Compare the number of people celebrating by giving thanks to the number of people celebrating by eating turkey.

You've already lost.

Mewtarthio
2009-11-25, 02:15 PM
I've never heard someone who seriously called it "Turkey Day." I've heard it called that in jest lots of times, but not seriously...

Perenelle
2009-11-25, 02:20 PM
But I like the food.... =3
for me its like.... thanks-for-giving me all this food-day. :smallamused:

I get what you're saying. :smallwink:

Starscream
2009-11-25, 02:25 PM
"Happy Torture of Ubearable Relatives Kvetching Endlessly at You Day!"

Okay, so it might cause problems with people who like to abbreviate.

puppyavenger
2009-11-25, 04:32 PM
Wasn't Thanksgiving in October?

Oh Right, American Thanksgiving.

I can honestly say I've never even hear of someone say Turkey Day before reading tihs thread.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-11-25, 05:17 PM
I've never heard someone who seriously called it "Turkey Day." I've heard it called that in jest lots of times, but not seriously...

I believe it was in jest originally, but it's becoming more and more ubiquitous. Just google "Turkey Day."

Assassin89
2009-11-25, 06:53 PM
Never heard of "Turkey Day", but should we really celebrate a holiday that started with a bunch of Native Americans taking pity on a group of grave robbers who had no basic survival skills?

Deth Muncher
2009-11-25, 06:58 PM
"Happy Torture of Ubearable Relatives Kvetching Endlessly at You Day!"

Okay, so it might cause problems with people who like to abbreviate.

Oi, with the Yiddish! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitlemqwa8sph9eh4)

EDIT: Pardon, wrong trope. Try this one instead. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TroperTales/YiddishAsASecondLanguage)

Thufir
2009-11-25, 09:21 PM
I've never seen it called Turkey Day before today, or maybe yesterday, but frankly, I like it as a term. Accurately describes what the holiday probably means to most people.
Of course, this is the opinion of a rather cynical Briton, here...

Blue Ghost
2009-11-25, 11:16 PM
Never heard of "Turkey Day", but should we really celebrate a holiday that started with a bunch of Native Americans taking pity on a group of grave robbers who had no basic survival skills?

Sure, why not? I really need a day to give thanks, no matter where the holiday originated.
As for the OP...
DOWN WITH TURKEY DAY!

Thajocoth
2009-11-26, 12:07 AM
I'll be having Ravioli. I don't eat turkey.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-11-26, 02:06 AM
I'll be having Ravioli. I don't eat turkey.

Ah, see - you can still have Thanksgiving without any turkey being involved.

The Grue
2009-11-26, 03:01 AM
This thread confuses me. I could have sworn Thanksgiving was in October... :smallwink:

Athaniar
2009-11-26, 03:46 AM
People outside America have Thanksgiving? I thought it was just one of those weird USA things.

_Zoot_
2009-11-26, 04:31 AM
Turkey Day? Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you think I'd call it Turkey Day if there was the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I celebrated it 44 days ago.

Didn't he do it 35 minuets Days ago, or am I going mad?

Again....

Eldan
2009-11-26, 04:43 AM
People outside America have Thanksgiving? I thought it was just one of those weird USA things.

Well, normally the german translation of Thanksgiving is "Harvest Feast". Of course, as a kid I would always wonder what kind of weird people would celebrate harvests in November. But then, as far as I know, it isn't celebrated in Switzerland anymore.

Bayar
2009-11-26, 04:49 AM
... against the term "Turkey Day!"

All you Unitedstatesians out there - I'm not saying we shouldn't enjoy our turkey and football traditions, but PLEASE - food is not what November 26th is about. The holiday is called Thanksgiving, a day to remember to give thanks (religious or not). So, when someone says to you today "have a good Turkey Day," make your reply, "Happy Thanksgiving!"

Are you with me?!

That is like telling people that Christmas is not about Santa Clauss and presents. They know it is true but they dont really care. As long as you got presents and turkey...

KuReshtin
2009-11-26, 04:50 AM
It shouldn't be Turkey Day..
It should be

http://grillace.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/turducken.jpg
TURDUCKEN DAY!!

_Zoot_
2009-11-26, 04:57 AM
*Pic*

That is ether the the most delicious thing I have ever seen or the most horrible.....:smalleek:

KuReshtin
2009-11-26, 05:43 AM
That is ether the the most delicious thing I have ever seen or the most horrible.....:smalleek:

It's a chicken in a duck in a turkey.. :smallbiggrin:

Archonic Energy
2009-11-26, 07:21 AM
It's a chicken in a duck in a turkey.. :smallbiggrin:

yeah but "TURDUCKEN"
TURD-UCK-EN...
somehow it doesn't sound very apitizing...

also isn't "Turkey Day" Christmas?

Setra
2009-11-26, 08:17 AM
I think more people should eat Duck on Thanksgiving (maybe not Turducken mind you), I mean Turkey wasn't the only bird around on the original Thanksgiving.

I've tried to convince my family of this, but most of them don't like duck in the first place.

Personally, I've never tried Turducken, but I think I'd probably like it.

Recaiden
2009-11-26, 10:28 AM
Happy familial arguments day!

What? All annual holidays are about arguments with family.

No, that's Christmas. Which is really about the sun. :smallbiggrin:

I think it's just that turkey has come to symbolize the day.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-11-26, 11:28 AM
But I like the food.... =3
for me its like.... thanks-for-giving me all this food-day. :smallamused:

I get what you're saying. :smallwink:

AGREED.

Mmm, various meats and casseroles and desserts day. =3

I may have to come here tonight and list every delicious food item I ate today. >.>

Pepz
2009-11-26, 11:48 AM
The only time I celebrated thanksgiving was during my year in the US. I do not recall seeing anything about pilgrims, indians or thankfulness...

What I do recall is delicious food, watching american football, sleeping a bit, eating some more, watching some more tv. Then going home, going to bed. The day after we went back for lunch :smallbiggrin:

I'm behind the "it's all about the food" people

Catch
2009-11-26, 11:48 AM
Are you with me?!

Happy Manifest Destiny.

Solaris
2009-11-26, 02:04 PM
I've always found people trying to restore reverence for our holidays rather amusing. I think the problem is more inherent in our irreverent culture. It's pretty much unsolvable without more drastic renovations. I, for one, am really quite apathetic about holidays in general. Thanksgiving is just the day where my command orders us all out of the barracks to go eat dinner with the people I didn't enjoy seeing the other 364 days of the year.

Unashamedly. It gets old, being told that I should feel sorry for things that happened centuries before my birth. Insensitive, I know, but I much prefer dealing with things that're happening now.

AGREED.

Mmm, various meats and casseroles and desserts day. =3

I may have to come here tonight and list every delicious food item I ate today. >.>

I may have to come here tonight and hate you so much. Hate hate hate.

Dr. Bath
2009-11-26, 02:14 PM
Unashamedly. It gets old, being told that I should feel sorry for things that happened centuries before my birth. Insensitive, I know, but I much prefer dealing with things that're happening now.

There is a difference between not feeling sorry for something and glorifying it. Just sayin'.

I could go for some turkey right about now though.

Deth Muncher
2009-11-26, 02:29 PM
Where else but America can you have a holiday that transitioned from something about giving thanks to something about gorging yourself and putting up with relatives you hate?

I'll tell you - any predominantly Jewish country. Seriously, all we do is either fast or feast, and Thxgvn is most definitely a feast.

(That's right, I abbreviated Thanksgiving. So sue me.)

Ilena
2009-11-26, 02:48 PM
Lol my bf said today, happy turkey day!, I KNOW he saw what i posted here, could have kicked that loveable fellow :P

Devils_Advocate
2009-11-26, 08:08 PM
should we really celebrate a holiday that started with a bunch of Native Americans taking pity on a group of grave robbers who had no basic survival skills?
Do, or do not. There is no should.

(Gosh, I feel like Yoda's little-known Dark Side cousin or something.)

Cobra_Ikari
2009-11-26, 10:25 PM
I may have to come here tonight and hate you so much. Hate hate hate.

We had ham, and turkey, and squash casserole, and corn casserole, and green bean casserole, and sweet potato casserole, and black beans and rice, and dinner rolls, and then dessert was cherry cobbler, and apple cobbler, and flan, and cheesecake, and pumpkin pie, and oreo balls.

And coffee and apple cider to drink. =3

Cobra loves family dinners. And leftovers. =)

Solaris
2009-11-26, 10:54 PM

We had ham, and turkey, and squash casserole, and corn casserole, and green bean casserole, and sweet potato casserole, and black beans and rice, and dinner rolls, and then dessert was cherry cobbler, and apple cobbler, and flan, and cheesecake, and pumpkin pie, and oreo balls.

And coffee and apple cider to drink. =3

Cobra loves family dinners. And leftovers. =)

Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate!
>_<

Zeb The Troll
2009-11-27, 02:27 AM
Our Turkey Day was much more simple. We had a small ham which was slow cooked in spices and pineapple juice, some green bean casserole made with more Cream Of Chicken Soup than green beans (yum!), some mashed sweet potatos topped with walnuts and brown sugar and then baked for an hour, some Stove Top corn bread stuffing, and a store bought pumpkin pie topped with Cool Whip.

And yes, we called it Turkey Day, as we have for years and years, and we started our meal by going around the table with everyone telling what we are thankful for.

kpenguin
2009-11-27, 02:29 AM

Yes, because Abraham Lincoln said so.

ARE YOU QUESTIONING ABRAHAM GODDAMN LINCOLN?!:smalltongue:

Setra
2009-11-27, 03:05 AM
Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate!
>_<
Kefka?

>.> I'm actually going to be celebrating Thanksgiving twice...

Once with my Dad's side of the family (this was done actually on Thanksgiving) and once with my Mother's side (this weekend)...

KuReshtin
2009-11-27, 04:39 AM
I only had some southern fried chicken on bread rolls and some coleslaw while I watched Football all by my lonesome.

Then again, since I'm not American, I'm just happy that the Cowboys won last night. :smallbiggrin:

kpenguin
2009-11-28, 01:26 AM
Woah, a non-American watching American football and calling American football "football"? Freaky.:smalltongue:

Deth Muncher
2009-11-28, 01:31 AM
Woah, a non-American watching American football and calling American football "football"? Freaky.:smalltongue:

Thog help Not-Nale nail Nale?

KuReshtin
2009-11-28, 07:01 AM

Even better. Look at my avatar. I'm an American Football official. In the UK.

GoC
2009-11-29, 11:04 AM

Especially as said grave robbers went on to (nearly) exterminate the afore-mentioned native americans.:smallbiggrin: