PDA

View Full Version : Heights of Everlong - IC

Lubirio
2009-11-25, 02:35 PM
the day after your father was kidnapped you decide to head out into the forest in search of him. Having said all your goodbyes, you walk out of town. As you near the edge of town, yo see one of the kidnappers has left his horse there, and it seems nobody's going to take it, so you walk towards it. It whinney's a little bit, but other than that, it doesn't recognize your presence. It's standing in a clearing with wooden, uninhabited buildings on one side, and the entrance of the forest on the other.

OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139448).

Aetthyng
2009-11-25, 02:41 PM
I carefully proceed to the horse to see if it is carrying anything. I also give the old buildings a passing glance.

Lubirio
2009-11-25, 02:45 PM
The buildings have been abandoned for as long as you know. The horse looks tough, but isn't saddled or reined, in fact, it isn't carrying anything at all, you do however see a pile of ash a few yards behind the horse.

Aetthyng
2009-11-25, 02:48 PM
I hurry to the pile of ashes, gripping my long bow nervously, and bend down to sift through it.

Lubirio
2009-11-25, 02:51 PM
the pile is still warm, but feels moist, as if whoever was here left in a hurry.

Aetthyng
2009-11-25, 02:54 PM
I shiver as the blood starts to rush through my ears, echoing my mother's last words. Fixing the pack on my shoulders, I go up to the horse and leap onto it, guide it around to face the forest, and begin my journey.

Lubirio
2009-11-25, 03:05 PM
With the horse's help you manage to follow the path leading into the forest ahead faster than on foot, and you come to a crossing in the road, walking to the signpost, it reads:

<---- Hupnor | Valnerra ---->

Shortly after you read it, you hear sounds of suppressed movement not far from you.

Aetthyng
2009-11-25, 03:10 PM
Alert, I stop the horse and turn my head, peering into the foliage to detect the source of the noise.

Lubirio
2009-11-25, 03:22 PM
Listening closely, you hear the sound growing somewhat louder, and it appears to come from between the two paths leading to their respective places.

Aetthyng
2009-11-25, 03:28 PM
I gasp and slide my long bow of my shoulder, reaching for an arrow. I try once again to get a good look at the approaching creature
[roll0]

Lubirio
2009-11-25, 03:36 PM
Suddenly jumping from the bushes, you see the creature is a muscled wolf, circling it's prey. At the sight of the wolf, the horse shifts uneasily under you and you feel that it is frightened of the wolf, and tries to throw you off unsuccessfully.

Thules Initiative: 21
Wolf Initiative: 16
Horse Initiative: 13

You start on top of the light horse.

Aetthyng
2009-11-25, 03:45 PM
I steady my mount and take a shot quickly to surprise the wolf.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Aetthyng
2009-11-25, 03:51 PM
I also try to deal damage!
[roll0]

Lubirio
2009-11-25, 03:57 PM
The arrow lodges itself into the wolf, who then jumps forward and bites the horse's legs, the horse then whinny's loudly in fear and rears on it's hind legs, and throws you off, it then runs out of the clearing, down the path leading back to Haftville, where you came from.

You're prone on the ground, not in the wolf's threatened area. Your turn.

Aetthyng
2009-11-25, 04:03 PM
I scramble to my feet and shoot another arrow

[roll1]
Frantic, I whistle for the horse to stop before turning to face the wolf once more.
[roll=handle animal]1d20

Lubirio
2009-11-25, 04:16 PM
The wolf lunges forward again, but his teeth glance off of your leather armour harmlessly. At the sound of your whistle, the horse comes back running, encouraged, and rams itself into the wolf ending with its hoove outstretched, lodged into the wolf's body, at which it whimpers softly.

The Horse charges the wolf, doing 4 damage.

Aetthyng
2009-11-25, 04:22 PM
I sigh with relief and shoot the wolf again, hoping to finish it off.
[roll0]

Aetthyng
2009-11-25, 04:24 PM
Once again, I do my best to do some damage to it.
[roll0]

Lubirio
2009-11-25, 04:33 PM
Growling, the wolf bites your leg and attempts to trip you, though he doesn't succeed on tipping you over, you do notice bite marks where the wolf just bit, and it hurts. Defending its new friend, the horse tries to kick the wolf again twice, then tries to bite it, but fails.

You take 4 damage. The horse misses.

Aetthyng
2009-11-25, 04:41 PM
I am impressed by the loyalty of whom I have just begun to think of as my horse. Taking a deep breath, I step back from that face-full of teeth and aim carefully to deliver a point blank shot.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Lubirio
2009-11-25, 04:49 PM
Having it's mouth still open in anticipation, the arrow hits the wolf straight in it, and it falls down unconscious, bleeding out.

Waiting for it to die, you mount the horse again, and look back at the sign, and realize you still need to decide where to go.

You gain 300XP for that encounter.

Aetthyng
2009-11-25, 05:00 PM
I sigh again and pat my horse on the rump.
Now I need to think of a name for you...
I check to see whether it is male or female...
[roll0]
...and then turn my thoughts to the sign before me, considering what I know about each town, weighing my options.
[roll1]

Lubirio
2009-11-25, 05:09 PM
Looking down, you see it is a male horse, and quite clearly so. While your mind wanders to think of where these places might be there's a sound of wheels on gravel clearly coming from the path leading to Hupnor.

Aetthyng
2009-11-25, 05:17 PM
I turn to face the cart, hoping it's ridden by someone who can give me advice.

Lubirio
2009-11-25, 05:26 PM
As the cart comes into view, you see two dwarves arguing, when they see you, they immediately stop arguing and stop the cart as they pass you.

"Well, where might ye be goin' lad?"

One of them asks as they look at each other curiously, they then look back at you, awaiting your reply.

Aetthyng
2009-11-26, 10:04 AM
I've hardly ever met dwarves before... What should I say? Can I trust strangers? I decide to go for it.
"Good day, I'm following the owners of this horse. There were several people - five, ten maybe - and they came down this way. Perhaps you've seen them?"

Lubirio
2009-11-26, 11:13 AM
Looking somewhat confused, the dwarves inquire further.

"So ye have this horse tha belongs ta tha person ye're trackin', right?"

Assuming they're right in their guess, they answer.

"We haven't seen anybody since we left Hupnor lad, sorry we cannae help ye."

Aetthyng
2009-11-26, 02:39 PM
Having something to say, I say "I see. Maybe I should go to Valnerra then. Is that where you are headed? What can you tell me about that town?"

Lubirio
2009-11-26, 05:37 PM
Stepping off the cart, the supposed head dwarf took Thules' hand and led him somewhat away from the other dwarf, then whispered,

"Please, dinnae mention Valnerra to Rubon, he's has s'me bad experienc's wit' tha place ya see, his wife died in an accident thar."

Continuing somewhat louder, the Dwarf finished,

"So ye see we cannae take ye thar, we be head'd ta Haftville, ta replenish our metal supply."

Slowly walking back as he said this, he finished with a pat on the elf's shoulders that almost knocked him flat, and jumped back on the cart. Waiting for the elf to say something, turning their cart in the direction of Haftville in the process.

Aetthyng
2009-11-27, 02:32 PM
I am a little frustrated now, afraid of being left alone with no idea of how to proceed. Encouraged by the strange dwarf's frankness, I decide there's no point in beating around the bush.

"I see, thank you. But... which way would you go if you were on the track of... well... raiders? Kidnappers - possibly elven?"

Lubirio
2009-11-27, 04:07 PM
In a last attempt to help the young elf, the dwarf thought for a while, then told him.

"Yer sure ya saw them goin' this way then lad? If tha's the case, and we dinnae see them on our path, I think the most lo'ical is tha they wen' thar, and I've known elves ta be thar."

He finished, pointing in the direction of Valnerra, then they went off to Haftville.

Aetthyng
2009-11-27, 04:16 PM
Thules waves goodbye to the dwarves, the weight of this strange new world gradually creeping upon him like an evening shadow. He sighs heavily and mounts his horse.

"Well, Wolfbane - you like that name, 'Wolfbane'? We'd better get going."

He steers his horse to the right and they proceed at a light gallop towards Valnerra.

Lubirio
2009-11-27, 04:30 PM
Thules continues for about another couple hours and night falls. After a while, he can hear a little creek nearby, and finds a small clearing just off the road, where he found the moonlight to reach just well enough to be able to make out there were all kinds of flowers on the forest ground.

Aetthyng
2009-11-27, 04:37 PM
Thules yawns and blinks rapidly, struggling to stay alert. The bleeding from his leg has stopped now, thanks to some cloth he'd ripped from his coat, but it's been getting more and more painful to ride. Thules rides into the clearing and dismounts with a grimace, walking gingerly to the stream, where he drops his bag and starts to prepare for the night.

Lubirio
2009-11-27, 04:49 PM
The stream is little more than some water flowing over rocks, but enough for Wolfbane to drink some water and recover his strength, as Thules lays out his bedroll, he realizes the lack of tent is awfully scary out here in the open night of the forest, and quickly think of better things.

In the morning, Thules woke up to find a little, black feathered birg rummaging trough is backpack, looking for his trail rations no doubt.

You recover 1HP for resting the night. And so does Wolfbane, your horse.

You get a surprise round, and won initiative.

Aetthyng
2009-11-27, 04:58 PM
Thules freezes instinctively. Slowly and quietly he reaches for his mother's dagger, then rolls over and throws it at the bird.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Lubirio
2009-11-27, 05:08 PM
Apparently still gloomy from sleep, the dagger whizzes by the little creature, as it looks up, flies over to you and generously cuts Thules' hair for him, before sitting back down.

Wolfbane, as a response to this small threat, walks over casually, and squashes the little bird under its hoof nonchalantly

You miss (even it's flat-footed AC...), and it misses, though your hair is shorter still. :smallwink:

Your horse hits, and kills it. You get 100xp for this encounter.

Aetthyng
2009-11-27, 05:19 PM
Thules slips as he rises and steadies himself on Wolfbane, whom he pats fondly, and rushes to grab his knife. He polishes it in the stream water, still squinting from the daylight and snorts at himself for missing such a close target. Wolfbane stalks over and washes his hoof humanishly. Thules gathers his equipment back into the bag and inspects the bird carcass, wondering if it's worth cooking for breakfast.

Aetthyng
2009-11-27, 05:44 PM
Thules lifts the turkey by its talon and sniffs it hungrily, painfully aware that he'd hardly eaten the day before.

[roll0]

Lubirio
2009-11-27, 05:48 PM
Thinking nothing of the little bird, Thules resumed his journey, and encountered no more trouble on his way to Valnerra.

Once he arrived at Valnerra however, he could clearly notice that elves were living here; everything was made out of natural wood, part of it's surroundings, and all the houses were really just tree houses made into the bast of the tree itself. It would take anyone years upon years to accomplish this task the mundane way, it was almost obvious that it was made magically.

Arriving in the town square, Thules dismounted Wolfbane. He saw a local tavern, carved into an old oak that seemed to sill live and grow around the tavern. He noticed some more ancient buildings stationed here as well, one of which was the courthouse, built out of two intertwined Yew trees.

Aetthyng
2009-11-27, 10:46 PM
Thules is so surprised he begins to sweat, shocked to discover a thriving elven settlement a day's ride from Haftville. He'd never met this many elves in his life! Suddenly frightened, he wonders,
"What if the raiders are here? I never stopped to think what to do when I found them! But... it doesn't matter... I'll fight them if I have to, to save my father."
His determination rising, Thules calms down and walks over to the tavern, concealing his limp the best he can, and glancing over his shoulder to ensure that Wolfbane is following him. As he walks across the center of the town, he considers how to get riding equipment to fit his horse with, and how to replenish his supply of arrows.

Lubirio
2009-11-28, 04:50 AM
Thules walks over to the tavern without trouble, ties Wolfbane to a pole near it as best he can with his rope, and enters the tavern, to find himself inside a room full of elves, with the occasional half-elf. The room looks like any tavern room Thules has been to, with a bar on one side, some tables in the middle where cards are being played, and a fireplace in the very middle of the room with a pillar leading to the ceiling, seeming to use the bast of the tree as the chimney. There was a stage to the right of Thules, and there was a piano on it, and the playing of said piano was accompanied by a very beautiful singing.

To switch to speaking Elven, you put whatever you say in between < and >, instead of " and " and then say which language it is in a spoiler.

Aetthyng
2009-11-28, 10:17 AM
Thules makes his way to the bar, where he sits down and looks for someone to talk to, or for any of the raiders.

Lubirio
2009-11-28, 09:15 PM
No one seems to be paying attention to Thules, and he doesn't see anyone that looks particularly out of place. After a while standing at the bar, one of the barmen goes over to Thules and looks at him expectantly, waiting for an order from the somewhat rugged-looking elf standing in front of him.

<What will it be sir?>

<Translated from Elven>

Aetthyng
2009-11-29, 12:04 PM
"Oh! A mug of beer please..." Thules replies absent mindedly "say, have there been, uh, I mean," <uh, have there been a group of armed adventurers through your town today? Elves, I think, on horseback?>

Lubirio
2009-11-29, 12:30 PM
At the initial response in common the man looked bewildered, but as Thules continued in fluent Elven without accent, he recovered himself and got the man a beer, <It shall be 5 copper pieces, good sir.>
Leaning closer to Thules more conspirationally, he continued, <I think I may have seen some who pass your description pass by yesterday evening, you don't see many elves on horeback these days you know. They came in here got themselves a barrel of ale, and then left again, acted more like dwarves from what I gather.>

The barkeep then walked over to another customer, served him what he wanted, walked back over to Thules to retrieve his money, and finished, <You best not tell anyone I told you this. You see, I've been working here a measly seven decades, and I'd like to keep my job, we have a strict policy of keeping our customer's business confidential.>
After having said this, the Barkeep went out back, and came back a couple minutes later, paying no more attention to Thules.

You are 5cp lighter, and will be slightly affected by the beer you drink.

Aetthyng
2009-11-29, 12:54 PM
Thules eats his supper contemplatively, getting used to the rapid, melodious sound of elven surrounding him. He decides he will soon leave the tavern to find out more information about the raiders, but will not leave Valnerra without some more equipment. Then he asks himself why he is afraid to admit to strangers that he is on the track of kidnappers.
Maybe I'm afraid to admit it to myself. Here I am all alone except for a mad horse I met yesterday, and if another wild animal attacks me today I'm done for...
Thules sighs heavily, shakes his head, and breaks this chain of thought to wander around the tavern, seeking a quick-paying task to do, or gossip about the raiders.

I know I have not indicated that Thules ate yesterday, but he should now have about 8.5 lbs of rations. He should also have 3 HP, as he healed last night and I did not think that the turkey damaged Thules. Just making sure we're on the same page

Lubirio
2009-11-29, 01:39 PM
Eating his dinner inconspicuously, Thules attracted no unduly attention to himself. When he was almost done eating, a rather beautiful lady went up to him, sat down boldly and started talking to him in an irritated manner.
<You're the owner of the horse outside aren't you?>

The bird did not damage Thules, so 3HP is correct, and he has 8 lbs of rations left as he started out with 10 and was on the road for two full days; it is evening.

Aetthyng
2009-11-29, 08:02 PM
Careful to speak politely, Thules sits up and replies <Er, yes, that is my... steed. Is there a problem, miss?>

IT'S A TURKEY!!!
Right, so I've actually just eaten dinner.
You talked about the beer affecting me - is that roleplay wise, or...?
By the way, I have access to a computer period eight (1:30 to 2:15), so if you log on around 8:30 to 9:00 PM Dutch time every evening we might double our post rate during the week :).

Lubirio
2009-11-30, 04:45 AM
She thinks nothing of Thules' uncertainty, and continues undesturbed,
<That's what I thought. You should know, people on horsbeack have a bad reputation around here.>
She then got up, beckoned him to follow, and walked out of the tavern.

Sure, it's a turkey. :smallwink:
The beer starts to affect dwarves after 5 beers, humans after 4, elves after 3 and halflings/gnomes after only 2, and it gives a +1 on str and cha, -1 on dex, int, and wisdom, it doesn't affect con. After the specified amount you feel that, after double the specified amount, you feel triple that, and it doubles every time you drink another 'dose'. the maximum bonus you have is +10, no maximum penalty, int cannot go lower than 3, all other stats can't go lower than 1.
For Example:
after 3 total beers, an elf gets +1 on Str and Cha, and -1 on Dex, Int, and Wis.
after 6 total beers, an elf gets +3 on Str and Cha, and -3 on Dex, Int, and Wis. (total)
after 9 total beers, an elf gets +6 on Str and Cha, and -6 on Dex, Int, and Wis. (total)
after 12 total beers, an elf gets +10 on Str and Cha, and -12 on Dex, Int, and Wis. (total)
after 15 total beers, and elf gets +10 on Str and Cha, and -24 on Dex, Int, and Wis. (total)
Etc, etc.
The bonus/penalty gained for being drunk fades away at 1/hour, so if you got totally blitzed, you can feel the effect for days to come. :smallamused:

Aetthyng
2009-11-30, 01:51 PM
Thules follows the woman out of the tavern, realizing that she may be referring to the raiders.

Lubirio
2009-11-30, 03:40 PM
Walking nonchalantly out of the tavern, the woman walks over to Wolfbane, looses his rope and takes him along with her. Not looking back if Thules follows her, she walks to the edge of Valnerra, where the houses are less and less distinguished from the trees. She tied Wolfbane tightly to a tree outside one of the houses, and then disappeared in the house. Popping her head out of the door, she tells him, <We have to talk about some things that we have to do before going on our way.> Then disappeared again.

Entering the house, Thules finds himself in the main room of the small cottage, there was a table on one side, with a sink so old it looked like it was just a hole in the counter. On the other side there seemed to be stairs that the woman had walked up and seemed to lead to the upper floor. At the very back of the hut there was another door, seemingly leading outside.

Aetthyng
2009-11-30, 04:39 PM
Thules fidgets with his mother's knife and looks out the dusky windows suspiciously. Thules does not feel particularly threatened by this elf, and there is something comforting about the way she takes charge. He is not, however, about to let his guard down completely, beautiful woman or no- that is, Thules wants an explanation. <I am not following you up there, nor anywhere else for that matter! Come down here and explain yourself!>

Please stay in present tense, you keep jumping.

Lubirio
2009-11-30, 05:25 PM
The woman pops her head out from the hole in the ceiling where the stairs lead to the upper floor, and told him, <Oh that's quite alright, I'm almost done up here.> Thules then hears some more rummaging upstairs, and after a couple long minutes, the elf woman comes back down, carrying a backpack of her own, finishing all of her energetic behavior by stopping dead in front of him, she tells him,

<Oh, and by the way, my name is Silaquithe. I plan to track these people you stole that horse from, which is a pretty hefty feat I must say. Since you now have one of their horses, we should not be any slower than them, and therefore swift and quick to get to them.>

Hand extended, she swishes back her hair to reveal her face for the first time on full lighting of the ample room, and Thules sees that she is absolutely breathtaking, her features are perfectly symmetrical, and she has eyes that would penetrate straight to anybody's heart. Now that you notice her face fully for the first time, her body becomes more evident too; she is curvy just the way a girl should be. Though not immature, she has fully developed cleavage to go along with that. Only now does Thules fully realize that the woman standing in front of him has an angel's body and a goddess' face.

I will keep it in mind. :smallredface:

Aetthyng
2009-12-01, 10:42 PM
Thules blushes slightly and looks down, but quickly regains his composure.
I'D FOLLOW YOU ANYWHERE! - That said, this woman is clearly mad. That, or this type of conduct really is the norm among elves. Better get used to it, I suppose. At any rate, sounds like she's on the raider's track... now, if she'd just lead the way...
When he turns to face her again, arms folded, he wears a puzzled, but bored frown. He ignores her outstretched hand.

<Look... 'Silaquithe' is it? I don't know who you are or what you're talking about. I've ridden Wolfbane, that horse you seem so fond of dragging around, for years, and I've come to Valnerra looking for a job. That is what, I take it, you've led me out here to offer? Well I start working for five sil'piece an hour. Now, tell me more about these... 'people' you seem to have me confused with, and how you'd like me to hurt them.>

Thules seats himself calmly at her table and drops his pack on the floor. The longbow he unslings from his shoulder but keeps in reach, leaning against his knee. The woman's eyes look even larger from this angle...

spoilerspoilerspoiler

Lubirio
2009-12-02, 01:31 PM
Silaquithe suddenly explodes into a fit of rage, shouting angrily,

<Oh! So I've been wandering around town looking for someone to fight them with me for nothing then?! And when the only other person in the world who's fought them and live pretends to know nothing about them I should explain it all to clear it up a little? As if you don't know!>

As she says this she jabs a finger in your chest accusingly, and pins you against the now closed door, when she finishes, she closes her eyes, looks down and sighs audibly

Is Alon joining us anytime soon with a character concept or should we just continue with the two of us?

Aetthyng
2009-12-02, 08:20 PM
Overwhelmed by the woman's suddenly emotional response, Thules finally snaps. He brushes her hand away in panic and runs to the other side of the room.
<Alright!> he yells at her, bursting half with anger and half with terror, <Alright! I AM on the track of the raiders who killed my mother! What's it to you? What do you all want from me?! What, I'm part elven, so all of a sudden you barbarians come out of the woods and attack my home? I'm elven so hop! we're comrades and I'm supposed to trust you! Alright - I admit - I'm NOT a mercenary, I'm not going anywhere with you!> "I just...I need to find my papa..."
Thules stands there panting and shaking. Suddenly he kicks a chair out of his way and closes on Silaquithe, hissing in her face. <You need to frelling calm down! I'm sorry I yelled at you, 'right, but you'd better start explaining yourself right now - how do you know about me?! What is your connection with my father's kidnappers?!> Before she can answer, Thules turns his back on her and stares wildly out the windows, ensuring that Wolfbane is still by the cottage.

Alon wants to be a human ranger... don't ask him too many questions, I'm having trouble explaining the game to him, and he's REALLY busy. Just make his sheet and let him learn to play as we go. As for the background, we'll fill that in AFTER he starts role-playing.

Lubirio
2009-12-03, 01:56 PM
At Thules' own emotional outburst, Silaquithe seems somewhat taken aback, blushes of embarrassment, and in a somewhat apologetic manner she tells him,<I'm sorry. I didn't know they had killed your mother, I grieve for your loss.>
Walking over to stand next to Thules, Silaquithe start to tell her story, looking out the window to see Wolfbane nibbling on some moss.

<Only a couple years ago, there were mounted raiders who came to invade Valnerra, and my parents, brave but foolish, tried to stop them,> Sighing, she continues, <they were both killed, and my brother was kidnapped. I have tried to look for any other victims of their crimes, when they came through Valnerra again only yesterday I was hopeful again, and continued my search more actively. When I found you, I thought my search was finally over and we could hunt them down, you seemed to have even fought them and won.> As she finishes her story, Silaquithe looks up at him and Thules sees a burning need rise up in her eyes that he hasn't seen before. <I guess I was wrong.>

She then looks at her feet again, turns away from the window in pain of lost things, and starts to convert some chairs in the corner into a make-shift bed clearly meant for him to spend the night on.

Has Alon specified a day to officially want to join yet? I'm almost done with his character but need to know a couple things to put the finishing touches on it:

What favored enemy does he want? (Animal is most commonly encountered for now, trust me :smallwink:)
What Combat Style will he be going with, and what weapons (and possibly shield) does he want to go along with that? (I think dual is better, you need one competent melee guy to hold back the big angry wolves. :smallamused:)
What general function does he want to have in the 'party'? (like healer, archer, defender, destroyer, hunter, skirmisher [<-- that's what you are], investigator, trickster, controller, problem solver etc.)
What kind of Armor does he want? (I strongly recommend [studded] leather)
Any Flaws/Traits he wants? (there's a max on 2 of both)
Male or Female?

Aetthyng
2009-12-05, 05:05 PM
Thules sighs in exasperation. <No... wait... that isn't what I... I mean, what do you expect from approaching a fellow in a town strange to him, all mysterious, and bringing him to your cottage to announce that you and he are to embark on a quest together! All without introducing yourself, or - I mean... I just didn't know you had been attacked by the raiders too. I apologize for being so suspicious, we got off on the wrong foot...> Thules breaks off, embarrassed. He then shrugs at her apologetically and joins her in make his bed. When the silence begins to get oppressive, he resumes. <I am pleased to meet you... I'm sure we can find our family together :smallsmile:. If you don't mind though, I was going to visit the market tomorrow, to look for a tent and a saddle and maybe to put some gold in my pocket. How long ago do you think the raiders left?>

I'm so sorry for the delay, I had to take a break from my normal duties because I took the SAT today, and I've been preparing for it since Thursday afternoon. Alon is coming over soon. I'm going to try to make a character sheet for him on my own and send it to you tomorrow. Hopefully he can join Silaquithe and Thules tomorrow and we'll get a few posts done to boot... btw has it begun to snow in Denmark? Also, I JUST discovered that you're supposed to capitalize the names of days O_O.

Lubirio
2009-12-05, 06:07 PM
Still kind of worn out because of all the emotion that flowed so freely just moments before, Silaquithe nods a little and finishes making his bed and goes upstairs. Just before disappearing out of sight though, she stops dead and asks Thules,
<You must have forgotten my name, as I have forgotten yours, my name's Silaquithe, or Sila to humans, what is yours again?>

Before Thules has a chance to reply however, Silaquithe asnwers his question, <Visiting the Market tomorrow will be no trouble, and getting a saddle for your horse is a good idea. I want to be quite a ways out when night falls tomorrow though, and we depart long before high noon, so be quick.>

Couple of things to mention:
Kind of a short post today, as we have the Sinterklaas holiday this weekend. :smallredface:
Sila would be pronouced like Shila, for ease of reference, and I made her say this because you actually haven't told her your name yet. :smallwink:
Btw: Denmark. *shakes head* It doesn't snow here, the rivers just freeze over and hail falls from the sky, no fancy snow.
I'll make an OoC thread soon (Monday I think), as I have begun to notice the lack of it, and people tend to not post in OoC's they're not in, so it'll pretty much be our (the three of us) place to talk/discuss the campaign.

Aetthyng
2009-12-06, 11:30 AM
<Oh, right!> Thules exclaims in dismay, <My name is Tarthulis. Humans call me Thules, heh :smallbiggrin:. I haven't forgotten your name Silaquithe. Good night.> As Silaquithe retires, Thules collapses on the chairs and lies down uncomfortably. He doesn't particularly want to trance, but he needs to heal. The elven dream comes over him as hears the stories of his grandparents and the old country told again and again in his mother's voice. He falls into trance, but only briefly. A few hours later Thules gets up and leaves the cottage before Silaquithe comes down from her room. Riding wolfbane, he enters town.

I haven't gotten Alon his sheet yet, I hope to do that today. I don't necessarily feel a want of an OoC, I actually like having both in and out in the same post, if it doesn't bother you. It's all the same to me.

Lubirio
2009-12-06, 05:06 PM
Thules goes into town to find some stores to buy some more arrows, and finds just such a store, the sign reads: Lauerliss' Archery supplies, as he binds Wolfbane to a pole outside the store, Silaquithe catches up with him. She goes and stands in front of him, Wolfbane and the pole between them, <There you are Tarthulis, I see you found Lauerliss' place, I will go find a saddle, anything else I should look for while I am busy?> as she says the word saddle, she pats Wolfbane's shoulder, the place where a saddle would go.

After this one my posts will be back to full length, I got a total of three chocolate letters, they spell 'SPR'! :smallbiggrin:

I think the lack of OoC is ncie because it forces you to post something IC to be able to say something OoC. :smallwink:

Also, I'd like to make his character with him myself, because I have a feeling I can help him a bit more than you. I'll incorporate Alon's character somewhere where I see fit, so don't intentionally linger anywhere, if it didn't happen, it's not going to happen, just a heads up. I'll discuss it with him secretly, don't even try to ask him!

Aetthyng
2009-12-06, 06:39 PM
<Good morning, Silaquithe. Thanks, but I will probably finish my work here gesturing to the store promptly. I don't know what supplies you have, but I thought we might want a tent. How far is the next town? How soon must we leave?>

Oh! Is it a custom in Friesland to... I have no idea what you might do with chocolate letters... eat them? Lob them at innocent passerby? Immerse them in baby oil?
Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking. I told Alon to PM you in the forums, I hope he's done so. Whatever you do, keep in mind that he's, like, busier than both of us combined.

Lubirio
2009-12-07, 05:04 AM
Confident in his knowledge on how to camp, Silaquithe nods knowingly, and adds, <I intend to leave within the hour, but do not hurry yourself, I want to be properly prepared, you can get a tent and other adventuring supplies two trees down to the right, one deep. I will go in search of a saddle, though there is probably not a very flourishing store for them.> pointing in the general direction of the adventuring store as she says this, Silaquithe goes off in the other direction, humming a tune under her breath that Thules heard last night in the tavern. As Silaquithe turns around, Thules notices a harp sticking out of her backpack, the instrument he heard her play faintly last night.

But that's in Friesland, I'm about 100km south of that... (I already ate two chocolate letters, saving my white one for later)
He did, and we're discussing his character, don't worry about it. We'll get there eventually, his character can be the quiet type I guess. :smalltongue:

Aetthyng
2009-12-08, 12:30 PM
Thules blinks. Ooohh... so that's why she looked familiar. I hope she can fight as well as sing. Thules then walks into the archery shoppe.

Alon wanted me to show him how to roll so, I'm not actually rolling for anything. [roll0] [roll1] [roll2]

Lubirio
2009-12-08, 02:31 PM
You enter the archery shoppe. A kind of mossy smell fills the air around you and there are scraps of half-finished bows laying around on various shelves, possibly showcasing what the shop had to offer. the owner wasn't here at the moment, but this was no hindrance, as the room itself gave a variety of things to look at, ranging from repeating crossbows of a dark brown to mighty composite bows behind the counter made of bone so white it seemed like ivory, or perhaps it was ivory, Lauerliss truly seemed like a master of his craft, there even seemed to be a few thrown weapons of various sizes, for the more close-up and personal types of ranged combatants.

After a while of silence, an elf of middle age entered the store from the back, looking expectantly at Thules, this must be Lauerliss. <How can I help thee, good sir? I see you carry a bow, I cannot help but notice it was made by human hands. Nevertheless, can I interest thee in some interesting arrows enhancing its use?> As Lauerliss was saying this, he moved to Thules, put an assuring hand on his back and motioned to a case of arrows with his other. <We have our standard arrow, befitted with custom color feathers at no extra cost, Dragonbreath arrows, Hardwood arrows, Serpentstongue arrows, and of course the Swiftflight arrows, all of which can be befitted with a custom metal head of adamantine, cold iron, and alchemical silver.> As he talked about all of the arrows, Lauerliss pointed to each one in turn in the display case.

Dragonbreath arrow: 1d8 regular damage turns into 1d6 regular damage (one size category less), but ignites in flight, doing 1 fire damage and setting fire to the target, single use. (cost: 2.5gp per arrow, weight: 0.16667 lbs)
Hardwood arrow: Made of hardwood, has only 25% chance of breaking on a miss, as opposed to 50% for regular arrows. (cost: 0.5gp per arrow, weight: 0.16667 lbs)
Serpentstongue arrow: Does Slashing & Piercing damage, does full damage to objects with hardness of 5 or less, as opposed to half for normal arrows, useful for cutting rope and such. (cost: 0.15gp per arrow, weight: 0.16667 lbs)
Swiftflight arrow: Penalty for range is -1 rather than -2, and range increment is increased to 125% normal, and maximum range is 15 range increments rather than 10, but takes an -5 to all attack rolls and does one size category less damage (1d8 -> 1d6, 1d6 -> 1d4, etc.). (cost: 5 gp per arrow, weight: 0.1 lbs)
So many choices! So little time!
Oh NO! I can't decide what to do with all these choices! Must... choose... :smallamused:

I personally like Swiftflight best, here's an extended example for its use:
normal arrow (w/ Longbow):
penalty at 100ft: -2
penalty at 200ft: -4
penalty at 300ft: -6
penalty at 400ft: -8
penalty at 500ft: -10
penalty at 600ft: -12
penalty at 700ft: -14
penalty at 800ft: -16
penalty at 900ft: -18
penalty at 1000ft: -20
can't be shot further than 1000ft

swiftflight arrow (w/ Longbow):
penalty at 100ft: -5
penalty at 200ft: -6
penalty at 300ft: -7
penalty at 400ft: -8
penalty at 500ft: -9
penalty at 600ft: -9
penalty at 700ft: -10
penalty at 800ft: -11
penalty at 900ft: -12
penalty at 1000ft: -13
penalty at 1100ft: -13
penalty at 1200ft: -14
penalty at 1300ft: -15 (about 1/4th of a mile here :smallwink:)
penalty at 1400ft: -16
penalty at 1500ft: -17
penalty at 1600ft: -17
penalty at 1700ft: -18
penalty at 1800ft: -19
maximum range at 1850ft, with -20 penalty
It really starts to pay off with ranges of 500ft and up, obviously meant for really long range attacks, only attempted by very skilled archers...

You killed Alon, NO!! What shall become of us?!?! :smallwink:

Aetthyng
2009-12-08, 09:49 PM
Thules looks around him in awe and apprehensive delight. He isn't sure he liked the tone in which Lauerliss had asked him whether his bow was man-made. He blushes when he hears the price of the dragon breath arrows. Until he can find a way to gain gold on his journey, such pretty little trinkets as those would be out of the question. Then he wonders how much money Silaquithe earns nightly. Probably not much. Oh well... :smallamused:

<Oh I see... you charge quite a bit more for your special arrows than some other craftsmen I heard tell of. No doubt because you are more of a master at your craft than they are :smallbiggrin:. Although...> Thules leans forward and whispers dramatically <...with all of these travelers about, you might make more of a profit if you try to match the wider market price.> Thules winks charmingly and pays for five gold piece's worth of standard arrows. He then bids Lauerliss good day, walks outside the door of the shop, whistling cheerfully, and breaks into a sprint to find Silaquithe. During his run his eye is caught by the adventuring supply store. He hesitates briefly, then changes his course to go and look for a tent and supplies.

How much do standard arrows cost anyway? And what happens now that I have more than twenty arrows? SO MANY QUESTIONS. Also, to get the dude to believe me, I roll [roll0] to get him to reconsider the cost of the dragonbreath arrows.

Lubirio
2009-12-09, 02:26 PM
Lauerliss takes a good look at Thules as he poses the question of a reduced price, as if looking at him to find a trace of truth, seeming satisfied, Lauerliss nods knowingly, and tell him, <I cannot offer you a lower price for the arrows, but I can offer you a different version that only ignites a after impact instead of during flight, here.> Lauerliss goes to the back and gets a full quiver of the other arrows he talked about, along with a quiver of regular arrows, both adorned with yellow sparrow's feathers. <These,> he said, motioning to the quivers now lying on the desk between them, <Will be 11gp together.>

On the street Thules encounters nobody in particular, aside from some common elf people going about their daily business. As he enters the adventuring store, the light in the room is clearly dimmed compared to the outside, and he can barely make out the things that are there, but the things he can make out are clearly cut out for his purpose and he goes up to the counter where a young bright elf is waiting for him, <What can I help you with, good sir?> Clearly eager to help him, the youngster seems confident in his ability to handle this job as the owner is nowhere to be seen.

For that purpose, a diplomacy roll would be in order, but you have the same modifier, so the roll of 18 sticks, and you nearly succeed, allowing him another offer to make the trade even, instead of unfavorable for him (I use rich Burlew's diplomacy system, link here (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/jFppYwv7OUkegKhONNF.html)).

The 'Lesser' Dragonbreath arrows are essentially the same as the regular ones, minus the fire damage on impact, and they ignite at the end of the target's next turn, unless prevented (Reflex Save DC15). They cost one fifth the price of regular dragonbreath arrows, and 10 times as much as normal arrows. These are generally used to set tents on fire, the regular ones are meant for living things.
Regular arrows cost 0.05gp each, and weigh 0.16667 lbs. :smallwink:
One quiver of arrows holds 20 arrows, so you have bought 20 regular arrows, and 20 lesser dragonbreath arrows, you now have a little less than 4gp left, besides from what Silaquithe gave to you, which is another 10gp.

The whole adventuring store has shadowy illumination.

Aetthyng
2009-12-10, 06:24 PM
Thules steps towards the young clerk confidently and almost trips on something round and hard. Even his elven vision cannot help him to see clearly into the far corners of the room. He continues towards the clerk, stepping gingerly. <Good morning, sir, I am looking for a tent and perhaps other equipment necessary for a long journey.> Thules smiles and speaks politely, but he is smug because of his success with Lauerliss, and his mind is racing with ways to trick the eager boy

Yo, sorry for being slow. I'll do my best to post at least once a day, if not twice. I like where this game is going. In my last post I was kind of role playing. I intended to leave, find Silaquithe, and ask HER to buy my arrows. Not sure what I was trying to do, I guess I was sort of weakening his will so Silaquithe could give the final blow. Nevermind, I should have made my intentions more clear. Alon said he'd be interested in a long session where we can post a lot tomorrow about 10-12 your time.

Lubirio
2009-12-11, 02:24 PM
The young boy elf replies confidently, <Yessir, we have several tents that can suit your needs, but I think these,> As he's talking, the boy runs to the back, and comes back a few moments later under the weight of a great heap of things, then organizes them into three somewhat similar looking bundles that all include some stakes, <Should be perfect, this one,> he says as he points to the smallest bundle, <suits one person, this one suits two people,> He then points to the second bundle as he says it, then to the third and biggest bundle and finishes, <and this one four people.> Running to the back once more, the boy stays away quite a while this time, and comes back panting wildy, but very satisfied, as he slams two more items on the counter, one big pack, and one small bar. <These are trail rations, this one over here,> he points to the big, heavy-looking pack now, <is enough food for one day, for one person. So is this one, but this one, doesn't weigh anything.> He says, holding up the small bar triumphantly.

More choices, oh noes!
Tents:
Medium Tent: 1x1 square, fits one medium-sized creature (or its equivalent), can only crawl inside (tiny or smaller can stand). 5gp, 7 lbs.
Double Medium Tent: 1x2 squares, fits 2 medium-sized creatures (or the equivalent), can only crawl inside (tiny or smaller can stand). 10gp, 9 lbs.
Large Tent: 2x2 squares, fits one large creature (or its equivalent), can only crawl inside (small or smaller can stand). 15gp, 12 lbs.

1 Large creature (2x2) is the same size as 4 Medium creatures (1x1).

Trail food:
Trail Ration: Provides enough food for one day. 1gp, 1 lb.
Trail Bar: Provides enough food for one day. 2gp, 0 lbs.

You still have 23.95gp remaining, if I'm not mistaken. Yes, you'll get loot soon...

Aetthyng
2009-12-11, 06:34 PM
Thules smiles winningly. <Oh, come on - we both know that that pile of rags isn't worth 10 gp! Tell you what, I'll give you 8 for it. 8.5 if you give me serve me well.> Thules pats the clerk encouragingly on the shoulder and picks up some bars of rations. <
Yes... yes, and ten days of rations please, regular kind.>

[roll0] shuZAM!!!

Lubirio
2009-12-11, 06:50 PM
Suddenly looking very uncertain of himself, the little boy, looks at the man towering over him and quickly nods, hands the man what he asked for, and takes the money without saying anything more.

Thules exits the shop to find Silaquithe proudly saddling Wolfbane. Looking up from her work, she calls out to him, <Did you use the gold well?>

Add whatever you bought to your sheet, along with a riding saddle for Wolfbane.

Aetthyng
2009-12-11, 07:37 PM
Thules grins proudly and turns his back to her, running his hand over the feathers of his new arrows. <I spent just over twenty goldies and got us a tent. Say... I assumed you don't mind sleeping together, right?> Thules laughs but feels his face reddening, so he shuts up and helps to fasten the saddle on Wolfbane, using the horse to hide his face. As Sila speaks, they unpack the tent and repack it into a saddlebag. On the other side of the horse, Sila packs the new rations. Soon they are done and Thules mounts Wolfbane. <So...uh, Sila. Are you a bard? Do you have training as a fighter? By the way, where's your horse?>

[roll0]

Lubirio
2009-12-11, 08:02 PM
At the sound of sleeping together, Silaquithe's face takes a stern look and she doesn't reply on the matter. When they were done fastening the new equipment to Wolfbane, Silaquithe's face softens slightly again and she replies somewhat cheerfully, <Yes, I am indeed a bard, I always did love to sing when times took a turn for the worse, and I'm adequately skilled at a bow as well. Like most all elves in fact, so I have nothing special to give on the combat front, I am sorry.> As she finishes talking, she takes a seat behind Thules and says, <I do not own a mount, so I shall ride with you if you mind not.>

As the two of you set course to where Silaquithe presumed the raiders to go, you leave Valnerra without a backwards glance. After about an hour of riding, Silaquithe pokes Thules' back and announces, <Now should be a good time for lunch, do you not think it so?>

Aetthyng
2009-12-11, 08:35 PM
<Uh... it... should.> Thules looks back at Silaquithe and raises an eyebrow at her. She, puzzled, raises a singular eyebrow at him. For a minute, the only sound is the klop-klap of Wolfbane's hooves as they raise their eyebrows magnificently at each other. <Okay fine, it should be weeell to consuuume our lunch at this time.> Thules winks insolently at Silaquithe and signals for Wolfbane to stop. He signals again. For the third time Thules makes his signal, loudly, into the horse's ear. Thules finally yanks hard on the reins and Wolfbane actually growls like a bear as he klahmps to a stop. "Come on, you one-eighth ass, you!" Thules mutters in Common as he slides to the ground, stealthily rubbing his hand on Silaquithe's knee on his way.
For the next half hour Thules behaves fairly crudely but otherwise does his best to avoid a fight. He sets up a fire quickly and prepares the meal, allowing Silaquithe to lounge on the grass by the road where she looks around them, wary of passerby. As the hunk of ham and bottle of tea warm, Thules suggests that Silaquithe show him her bardic skills.

Lubirio
2009-12-11, 09:36 PM
The moment Thules' hand touches Silaquithe's leg, her muscles tighten, and she acts very displeased. Acting stiffly the whole time Thules sets up the fire, Silaquithe looks up somewhat surprised as he requests her to play a song for him. Silently getting out her harp, she start to play a slow, sad song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qiuCX6Uhro), singing along with it. Thules can't understand all of the text, but what he does understand seems to weep for a lost love. Having finished her song, Silaquithe slowly opens her eyes to find Thules still entranced by the sheer beauty of it, unable to act as a result.

Listen to the song fully, it's part of the experience. If you haven't listened to the song, DO IT.

The part that Thules can understand is in Elven (really English), and what he can't understand is in Sylvan (really Gaeilge). You are fascinated and unable to act at the very end of the song; the last 6 seconds (1 round).

I take no claim of owning the rights to the linked-to song, it is performed by Anne Buckley in Lord of the Dance, it is called Siúil a Rúin.

Aetthyng
2009-12-12, 12:18 PM
Thules smirks. <You know many languages... you must have traveled a lot too... been around the block a few times, yes?> Thules laughs at his own joke, but tastes bitterness. He sits there quietly, tears beginning to well in his eyes, eating the meal he prepared but tasting only bitterness. While listening to Silaquithe, he begins to pack the equipment and turns to extinguish the fire.

Lubirio
2009-12-12, 12:29 PM
Silaquithe puts back her harp just as Thules turns to extinguish the fire, <I wrote the song after my parents died, they taught me the language of the woodlands, and I decided to incorporate it in there.> As she turns back and faces the now extinguished fire, Thules can see a very sad expression on her face, and a single tear excapes her right eye and slowly rolls down her cheek. She then sits up gingerly, wiping her face inconspicuously as she does so. <Shall we be off then, we should be able to reach the edge of the forest by nightfall.>

Aetthyng
2009-12-12, 12:35 PM
Thules ears perk up as Silaquithe finishes. <Forest? What forest? I didn't know we're going into the forest!> Thules had been in woodlands before, but he knew from what his parents had taught him; when an elf says forest, she doesn't mean JUST a forest... Thules finishes packing and Helps Silaquithe onto Wolfbane before getting on himself. Wolfbane had just decided to begin his lunch himself, and it takes some persuation to get him moving, but they are soon off, fuller than they had been an hour earlier.

Lubirio
2009-12-12, 02:36 PM
Silaquithe doesn't say much as they continue on their way, and for the rest of the day, they don't see much besides trees and the occasional chipmunk scurrying up and down the trees. about half an hour after it got dark, the trees got more densely spaced together, signaling their entering a more dense part of the woods. When they begin to set up camp there, Thules suddenly felt like they were being watched, and just a moment later he sees two menacing eyes emerge from the darkness and move straight towards them, a growling then escapes from the area below them.

Initiative order:
Thules: 23
Strange Eyes: 20
Silaquithe: 19

The beast moved on the surprise round, it is dark outside, but Silaquithe is holding a Sunrod that's halfway done (half an hour remaining), the creature has partial concealment due to shadowy illumination.

Aetthyng
2009-12-12, 02:57 PM
Thules was wary of something like this occurring in the woods. He draws a normal arrow and shoots it towards what he assumes is the creature's chest. He yells at Silaquithe "Put that sunrod away and take cover!" Pushing past her, he leaps over some bushes and hides behind them, his hand beginning to reach for another arrow.

[roll0]; [roll1]+[roll2]; [roll3]

Lubirio
2009-12-12, 03:18 PM
As Thules shoots it right between the ribs, the creature growls and jumps forward, appearing as a Tiger and claws at Silaquithe, missing her by less than a hair's width, Silaquithe, in response begins to sing a glorious, heart-filling song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq_VeUMtyzU) that immediately renders the tiger immobile, she then takes out her bow and moves away from it, trying to get s good aim at it.

The Tiger is dazed until the beginning of Silaquithe's turn, he barely missed her (rolling a 12 for attack, against a FF AC of 13...).

Initiative reminder:
Tiger: 20
Silaquithe: 19

In the song, ignore the video and listen to just the first minute-and-a-half, that's what Silaquithe sings, she'll keep singing this for a while. :smallamused:

Aetthyng
2009-12-13, 09:11 AM
Thules shoots a second arrow at the beast and retreats further into the woods. He whistles for Wolfbane to follow him.

[roll0]; [roll1]+[roll2]; Dude what about my horse? Can I control him?

Lubirio
2009-12-13, 03:08 PM
As Thules' arrow lodges itself into the tiger's flank, it is still unable to act as a result of Silaquithe's magic, and just stares at the two of them blankly. While the tiger growls, Silaquithe begins to sing louder still, and Thules suddenly feels more courageous and daring. Wolfbane, stubborn as he is, is slow to react and looks up from his grazing momentarily.

I control Wolfbane in combat, you control him in every other aspect.

Thules' attack hit (so did the last one), the tiger took 21 total damage.
Tiger is dazed and doesn't act.
Silaquithe uses her inspire courage ability: +1 to attack, damage and saves vs charm and fear effects.

Initiative reminder:
Sila: 19
Mysterious new entrance: 15 (currently up)
Wolfbane: 13

Though a single turn should only take six seconds, Silaquithe is now at 0:34 in the song, when she 'begins to sing louder' she sings the "Listen my child".

Frwizard
2009-12-14, 05:47 PM
And out of the woods comes a dashing young man armed with a longsword. The man's eyes are red, his hair unruly and dirty, and everyone, including the tiger, cans see that the deranged man has been consumed by adrenaline and bloodlust. Leaping onto the tiger, he swings his sword in midair.

Ok, I am going to try to do this right.
Attack: [roll0]

Frwizard
2009-12-14, 05:53 PM
Damage [roll0]

Lubirio
2009-12-14, 06:02 PM
The madman's sword practically cuts the tiger's tail off, and as a timely reaction to the enraged man charging the tiger, Wolfbane does the same, growling as a horse does. His hoof plants itself firmly into the tiger's shoulder blade, and as Wolfbane retracts his hoof, a gaping hole is clearly visible in the shape of a U.

Hello and welcome!
Your attack hits, doing 10 damage, and Wolfbane gets a critical, that is confirmed, doing a total of 12 damage as well, the tiger as now taken a grand total of 43 damage.

Initiative reminder:
Mysterious Madman: 15

Aetthyng
2009-12-15, 10:43 AM
Thules stares, confused, as the new arrival leaps out of the woods, and then gapes in shock at the sound of the Tiger's shoulder blade cracking. After a moment he senses that everyone is staring at him. ...OH! Oh, right, yeah...
Thules snaps out of it and, moving in time with Silaquithe's rapid plucking, shoots an arrow at the tiger in a neat arc.

Nice frwizard, and welcome! [roll0]; [roll1];

Lubirio
2009-12-15, 11:56 AM
Apparently still distracted by the new arrival, Thules' arrow goes long, and disappears into the bushes. The tiger, as only response to the new arrival, turns around, and claws at him and misses, then claws his other arm, and the sweep can be heard even by Thules, but it glances off the man's lightly armored right arm, in a final attempt to hurt the man, the tiger tries to bite the same arm, and an audible sound is heard as its jaw snaps closed just inches from its target. The tiger then growls audibly, and looks somewhat panicked, in a tight spot if you will, but all the surrounding foes. Silaquithe, encouraged by the tiger's misses as well as the courageous man's deeds, inspires him as well as Thules, still not letting her gaze leave the tiger.

The tiger deals no damage, as he misses all attacks. (You lucky... :smallannoyed:)

Silaquithe keeps up her song, and both Thules and [Mysterious Man] (note: she forgets Wolfbane :smallwink:) have a +1 to Attack, Damage, and saves vs. fear and charm effects.

Jules: You forgot to add in the -4 for firing into melee, as well as the +1 from the song, resulting in an 8 for attack, missing the tiger completely. (Sorry :smalltongue:)

Frwizard: You get a +2 to attack from flanking (by Wolfbane) in addition to the +1 from the song. :smallwink:

Initiative Reminder:
Mysterious Man: 15

Aetthyng
2009-12-15, 12:39 PM
Thules growls angrily at having missed the shot. He yells to the newcomer "Don't just stand there, kill it!"

HAHAgo on...almost there...so close!GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO PERSEVEREYOU GET 5,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 points!!! and...10 1932 german marks and...no, nothing else...

Frwizard
2009-12-15, 08:36 PM
The deranged man completely loses himself to his bloodlust and rage, raises his longsword above his head, and ferociously slashes at the tiger's head.

Roll for Attack [roll0]
Roll for Damage: [roll1]

Lubirio
2009-12-16, 02:12 PM
The man's rapid slashing produces the desired effect, and after standing on its feet a few more seconds, the tiger drops to the ground, unconscious. Silaquithe stopped singing suddenly and went up to it, inspecting it to make sure it is indeed dead, after what seems like an eternity, she looks up, happily, <It is gone,> she gasps. Somewhere, in a distant land far away from this world, a girl suddenly face-palms herself. Upon further inspection, an electronic device some would call a computer can be detected standing in front of her on a wooden desk, she was logged in to a site called "Giant in the Playground", with the user name 'Lubirio' admiring the previous post.
Alright, the bonuses are kind of skewed, and I would like to help you fix that to forgo any future mistakes:
The +2 to Attack for your longsword isn't right: On your sheet it says +3 (+4 from Str, +1 Base Attack Bonus (BAB), -2 Two-Weapon Fighting), then there's a mentioned +1 from Silaquithe's inspire courage effect, and a +2 for flanking the tiger with Wolfbane, I have told you about both bonuses. (the total attack for your longsword was +6, for 13, a miss)
The +4 to damage isn't completely correct either: On your sheet it says +4 (+4 from Str), and then there's a mentioned +1 from Silaquithe's inspire courage effect. Again, I have told you about this. (the total damage for your longsword was +5, for 6)

I will go out on a limb here and assume that you assumed you posted your whole turn. A turn has 1 standard action and 1 move action, or 1 full-round action, it also has any amount of free actions regardless. Attacking with a single weapon is a standard action always, using the feat 'Two-Weapon Fighting' and thus attacking with 2 weapons at once is a full-round action, so you missed your roll with the shortsword there, I will roll that for you now:
[roll0] Hit
[roll1] Kill

Also, when I give you terms you don't understand you can look them up next time, all of the terms I use can be found in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.com/).

Edit: Also, can you please stick to the posting format I have posted on the first page? (Also, pick a speech color)

Edit2: I was in a hurry, but it was NOT 90% past tense, I'd say about 40-70%. :smalltongue:

Aetthyng
2009-12-16, 07:38 PM
Thules emerges from the forest. He looks at wolfbane, his bloodthirsty horse. He looks at Silaquithe, his strange, moodswinging new friend. He looks at this random madman who has just burst from the shadows to kill their tiger, but does not make eye contact with any of them. Instead, he walks up to the tiger, skips over it, and kneels to retrieve his arrow, shaking his head indignantly.
Wolfbane faces the swords man and snorts in his face, with a look in his eye that clearly means who da ass are you?
Sammy don't be mean XD
Get it? HE'S A HORSE! So... did my arrow get destroyed? What skill do I use to find it, spot or search?
@ Lubirio: do you read your posts? Your last one is 90% past tense and you have Sila kneeling over a wolf instead of a tiger. Criticize other players' posts when yours are better.
@FrWizard: WILLKOMMEN! Do you have any questions? Do you understand what you did wrong?

Lubirio
2009-12-17, 10:02 AM
While he's busy retrieving one of his shot arrows, Thules finds much more than just an arrow, he finds a pouch tied to the tiger's leg with surprising skill, which in turn contains a gem of a deep blue color in it.

Silaquithe, after making sure the tiger is indeed dead, goes up to the newcomer and introduces herself, stretching out her hand as she does, "I am Silaquithe, or Sila if you like, and this is Tarthulis, or Thules, and we're on a search to find raiders who stole both our parents." an accent most common to elves and fey can be detected in her common speech, and Thules realizes this is the first time he ever heard her speak common.

My apologies for the irritated response, I had assumed you read up a little. From now on, please look up any terms I use and you don't understand, the same goes for you AetThyng.

You shot three arrows, and find one back, so you lost 2 this encounter. Make an Appraise check to identify the gem, and you all get 450xp for killing the tiger. (leaving you 150xp away from lvl 2!)

I leave lots and lots of room for some In-Character (IC) conversation with the two of you, so please go ahead and talk some, Sila will occasionally join in with the conversation.

DM notes:
Only for DM eyes!! *tsssk*
You Naughty, NAUGHTY PERSON!

More specifically: the next spoiler is only meant to be viewed by the person who is running this game, who's username is Lubirio:
Common Appraise DC, gem is deep blue spinel, 500gp.

Aetthyng
2009-12-17, 07:51 PM
Thules takes one look at the gem and immediately hides it in his pocket. Upon hearing Silaquithe's words, Thules returns to sanity and stands up between her and the man. <Silaquithe! How do you know we can trust this man? Stand back - I will speak to him.> Thules turns around and sizes the stranger up. After a pause, he slings his bow on his shoulder and mounts Wolfbane, looking at the human from above. "Hello swordsman, where do you come from, and what do you want?"

[roll0] (plus two because of my cloak) @Lubirio: has my roleplaying improved?

Lubirio
2009-12-17, 08:53 PM
Silaquithe looks surprised at Thules' reaction, but quickly recovers and slowy says, <He did help us kill the tiger, I see no reason not to give him a chance.>

Sorry for the short post, but yes it is improving Jules.

It be snowing!! :smallbiggrin:

And I'm looking forward to see both your RPing (Role-Playing) when you're both on. :smallamused:

Frwizard
2009-12-19, 03:07 PM
Raven says Argh, that took the life outta me. This old man needs to get some more exercise. Oh, ya youngsters? My name's Raven, Raven Oltarain. I saw you kids having some trouble, so I helped out. WOAH! Miss fine young lady, how are you doin'? Hey, how's this brainless bag here?" [Raven tries to do a flip in midair, but failes and hits his head. "Damn old bones."

Aetthyng
2009-12-19, 06:15 PM
Thules's face turns sour at the sight of the Rave's pathetic flop and points menacingly at the man's protruding nose. "Watch who you call brainless, you rotting, old human, or you'll find yourself fighting more than cats! And we're not youngsters, we are older than the trees themselves." Satisfied that he has won this confrontation, Thules tugs at Wolfbane's reigns, fails to provoke a significant response, and turns to Silaquithe. <Friend, I do not trust this human. He is clearly mad, and what's more - he smells awful! Let us depart immediately and make camp elsewhere.> Thules again yanks at the reigns ineffectually, and Wolfbane continues to stare at the man. "ya know... yer not half bad with that sword of yourn. Bet you can't do what I can do with my feet though, eh?" Wolfbane says in horse.

Your nose is protruding, Alon! And YES, my horse actually has the mental capacity for communication, although he doesn't expect a response. Unless there's any objection, I would like to represent Wolfbane's speech with italicized red text in quotation marks. By the way, didn't Alon first introduce his character as a "dashing young man"? What happened? How old is Raven?!

Lubirio
2009-12-20, 05:48 AM
The moment Sila heard Raven call her 'fine young miss' she blushed a little and looked away, but recovered quickly and told Thules, <I'm very tired, I suggest we stay here and see what this one does.> Pointing at Raven as she talks, she doesn't look at him afterward and avoids eye-contact. she then sits down and gets out her harp, but doesn't start playing it yet, waiting for the males to get over their argument.

She wasn't playing her harp when the tiger was still alive, she was singing. Yes, Sila has ranks in both perform (sing), and perform (string instruments). :smalltongue:

Raven is 27, but he considers himself an old man, as is in his sheet (which is now in the OP-Original Post). I would object, but you can change it to Wolfbane's thought, and make it without quotation marks, as he isn't really talking, just thinking. :smallwink:

Alon, you know you can put stuff in spoilers and actually talk to us, or are we that unlikable? :smallfrown:

HINT ALERT: you might want to move the tiger's body, it's in the middle of your campground (that is, if you stay here).

Frwizard
2009-12-20, 02:39 PM
Raven says "Aw, don't be like little lady. i was complimentin'' ya was all." Raven then walks over to Thules and says "Whatever, little lad, let's move on. Can we get some chow? this old man is hungry and ---" Raven falls asleep in mid-sentence and starts snoring.

Lubirio
2009-12-20, 03:32 PM
When Raven starts snoring, Sila starts to play a relaxing, soothing song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgtvEzeV2Oc) softly, and hums even softer to it. As a response, Thules' eyes become very heavy and when he sits down, he doesn't have a hard time falling into trance just as Sila finishes her song and does the same.

As Thules ends his trance the next morning, Sila is nowhere to be seen, and her harp is gone, but her backpack is still there, and their campsite, with the dead tiger still sprawled across the middle of it, doesn't seem to have been disturbed.

Make a Listen check for me will you?

Bad recording but beautiful song either way. More RPing opportunity, and remember Raven needs 4 more hours of sleep. :smallwink:

Aetthyng
2009-12-21, 08:41 PM
Thules wakes to the scent of rotting cat. With a grunt of annoyance he rises off of Wolfbane's sleeping form and drags the beast by it's paw until it is away from the camp. As he yawns and glances at Rave malevolently, he finally realizes that Sila is gone. Thules snatches up his bow and races into the woods in a random direction. After five minutes of fruitless scouting, Thules returns to the campsite, panting, and skips over the tiger carcass to see Wolfbane sharpening his hooves on the trunk of an old elm.
Mark it, Alon: neither the laws of physics, the earlier description of the forest, my enemies, nor my friends prevent me from doing what I just did. Walking around, yawning, moving innanimate objects (within a certain weight limit described in your sheet) and looking at things that the DM has already described can all be accomplished without any dice rolling. You roll when there's a chance of failure. The only constraint, due to which I have to stop doing things, is time: I've been awake for 5-7 minutes and I've returned to the campsite, I now need to let Sammy update the situtation.
Also, I wasn't really trying to find Sila, because I wanted to make a point, so I automatically go off in the wrong direction and fail.

Lubirio
2009-12-22, 05:21 AM
As Thules returns to the campsite and sits down in despair, he suddenly hears a faint sound of music, coming from the opposite direction he just went to look for her. Incidentally, Thules remembers they passed by a lake of some sort when they went through the forest, and the lake seems to be in that same direction. Wolfbane apparently doesn't hear the sound, as he keeps doing what he has been doing without looking up.

Nice explanation Jules, I'll roll your listen check now: [roll0] close one...

Note that the campsite is at the edge of the denser forest and you went past the lake, this means that Thules went to look for Sila in the denser forest. :smalltongue:

Aetthyng
2009-12-22, 07:05 PM
Thules's ears perk up at the sound of the Harp. He takes a few steps towards the source of the music and listens until he satisfies himself that it is indeed Silaquithe. Sighing with relief, he turns to Wolfbane, glances to see that Rave is sleeping soundly, and produces the blue gemstone. The horse whinnies in an exclamatory way and Thules laughs. Under Wolfbane's insightful gaze, Thules spins the stone, rubs dirt off of it, and holds it up to the light. After a while he re-packs it and whispers an estimate of the jewel's value into Wolfbane's ear, at which he receives a grunt of agreement. Quite satisfied, Thules begins to gather his effects from the forest floor when he stumbles over Rave's pack. Thules ensures once more that the man is sleeping and that Silaquithe is still far away before he rummaging through the contents of the bag, carefully noting its contents. I am not a thief, Thules explains to himself, I just want to know who I'm dealing with. This done, Thules rises, hurts the top of his head on Wolfbane's jaw, berates the damned beast for sneaking up on him like that, and heads off to say good morning to Silaquithe.

[roll0]; [roll1];

Lubirio
2009-12-22, 07:41 PM
Thules heads towards the lake, and the music grows louder, he can even distinguish it as Sila's singing. As he nears an opening in the treeline, Thules can see Silaquithe standing there, wearing nothing more than some silk garment (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG198.jpg), warming up her voice (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htvcgzqZnwA&feature=related).

The gem is worth about 500gp, give or take a few pp. In Raven's sack, Thules finds nothing of importance besides the regular adventuring gear and a rope ladder.

Yes, this is one of those moments Thules has to control his erection. :smalltongue:

Neither the song nor the picture belong to me, ignore the music in the background of the song for RP purposes.

Aetthyng
2009-12-23, 11:38 AM
Thules gasps in surprise and hides behind a nearby tree, blushing. After a slight hesitation, he crawls into the bushes and silently makes a beeline for the bank where Sila is bathing. Sixty seconds pass breathlessly. At the last moment, fifteen feet from the water, Thules breaks into a sprint and leaps towards Sila, yelling "GOOD MORNING" at the top of his lungs, landing thunderously and soaking her to the bone.

Oh Sammy, why you gotta play with me? [roll0]; [roll1]; HOLY CRAP he's practically invisible :P.

Lubirio
2009-12-26, 08:47 PM
Sila reacts instantly to the surprise visitor and stops singing, jumping back several feet while trying her best for the silk garment to cover up what it could, turning halfway around to have her back to Thules. With her back turned towards him, Sila motions to the lakeside where her clothes are on a heap. <Get those and hand them to me if you will.> Her voice is drained of all emotion, monotonous like a rock, and stern like she just aged a century or two.

Oh Julia, I'm looking forward to when we see each other again this summer...

And yes, I gotta play with you so. :smallamused:

Aetthyng
2009-12-27, 07:54 PM
Thules is dissapointed by Sila's apathy. He dives for ten seconds and emerges three feet from her knees before running to the shore to get her garment. "I'll go make breakfast, see you later".

Lubirio
2009-12-29, 05:40 PM
Sila jumps up as Thules gets so near her, and she takes her time putting on her clothes. Thules enters the camp to see Raven stirring awake, and Wolfbane smelling the cat curiously.

You can be involved again now Alon. :smallwink:

Aetthyng
2010-01-01, 08:24 PM
Thules raises his eyebrow at the stirring human. With a disdainful expression his face, he kneels to rekindle last night's fire and begins to prepare breakfast. Wolfbane concludes that the large feline corpse is not food.

Frwizard
2010-01-16, 12:29 AM
Raven gets up and releases a yawn of gargantuan proportions.Turning to Sila and Thules, Raven says "So, how 'e doin' this fine and fair morning'??? Darn, I could use me some roast bird! On that note, Raven jumps up toward a nearby tree and seems to miss in an attempt to slash at a branch. At first, nothing happens, but a moment later a decapitated bird the size of a turkey falls down from the branches of the tree. Raven smiles and says "Who's cooking?"
@ Sammy: Sorry that haven't posted for a while, I had to work on a summer program applications because the progam is very competitive and hard to get into, so I basically spent the past to weeks revising and editing essays.
@Julia: YES BITCH! A bird the size of TURKEY did fall from that tree!

Aetthyng
2010-01-17, 01:56 PM
Thules spins around startled at the 'thump!' of the bird flopping to the ground. Wolfbane approaches it and sniffs at it but concludes that it too is not food. Thules is silent for several seconds.
"Enjoy your breakfast," he says, sneering, and chucks a chunk of charcoal from the rekindled fire at Raven's feet, indicating that he should prepare his edible avian independently. Thules makes breakfast for two until Sila returns.

Lubirio
2010-01-22, 07:29 PM
Here, have an OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139448).

I strongly encourage character development and development of the relationship between the two of you, if you intend to interact with NPC's, that will be provided as well.

Lubirio
2010-01-23, 07:18 PM
Just as Thules throws the chunk of charcoal to Raven, Sila comes into view through the bushes, fully clothed again, she looks at the breakfast Thules is preparing, but doesn't give a backward glance at Thules himself. She turns to Raven and his creature, sitting down beside him. "Could you spare a piece for me, Raven?" She then reaches out to the charcoal and pulls out some twigs she's gathered to light them.

After spending a while lighting the fire, Silaquithe offers Raven a sharp twig clearly intended to function as a makeshift spit. "It will cook more evenly this way."

Aetthyng
2010-02-21, 01:07 PM
Thules growls in anger. "Come!" he says "we have a trail to follow. We have no time for your fowl to be cooked. I have already prepared our food. Come, Sila, eat this and we'll be on our way." Thules slurps down his salted meat-and-mushroom stew and turns to saddle Wolfbane.