PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 Stat Enhancement Spells

absolmorph
2009-11-25, 05:16 PM
I was looking through some 3E books, because I'm currently playing a game using them. I noticed that there are 5 spells that enhance stats. I thought "Why not make a more powerful version?" So, I made these:

Greater Bull's Strength
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 6, Clr 6, Drd 6
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature Touched
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
The subject becomes much stronger. They gain an enhancement bonus to Strength of 2d4+2, adding the usual benefits to melee attack rolls, melee damage rolls, and other uses of the Strength modifier.

Arcane Material Component:
A few hairs, or a pinch of dung, from a bull.

Greater Cat's Grace
Transmutation
Components: V, S, M
The subject becomes much more dexterous. They gain an enhancement bonus to Dexterity of 2d4+2, adding the usual benefits to AC, Reflex saves, and other uses of the Dexterity modifier.
Material Component:
A pinch of cat fur.

Greater Endurance
Transmutation
The subject becomes much tougher. They gain an enhancement bonus to Constitution of 2d4+2, which adds the usual benefits to hit points, Fortitude saves, Constitution checks, and so forth.

Hit points gained by a temporary increase in Constitution score are not temporary hit points. They go away when the subject’s Constitution drops back to normal. They are not lost first as temporary hit points are.

Greater Fox's Cunning
Transmutation
The subject becomes much more cunning. They gain an enhancement bonus to Intelligence of 2d4+2, adding the usual benefits to Intelligence-based skill checks and other uses of the Intelligence modifier. Wizards (and other spellcasters who rely on Intelligence) affected by this spell do not gain any additional bonus spells for the increased Intelligence, but the save DCs for spells they cast while under this spell’s effect do increase. This spell doesn’t grant extra skill points.
A few hairs, or a pinch of dung, from a fox

Greater Owl's Wisdom
Transmutation
The subject becomes much wiser. They gain an enhancement bonus to Wisdom of 2d4+2, adding the usual benefit to Wisdom-related skills. Clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers (and other Wisdom-based spellcasters) who receive owl’s wisdom do not gain any additional bonus spells for the increased Wisdom, but the save DCs for their spells increase.
A few feathers, or a pinch of droppings, from an owl.

Greater Eagle's Splendor
Transmutation
The subject becomes much more charismatic. They gain an enhancement bonus to Charisma of 2d4+2, adding the usual benefits to Charisma-based skill checks and other uses of the Charisma modifier. Sorcerers and bards (and other spellcasters who rely on Charisma) affected by this spell do not gain any additional bonus spells for the increased Charisma, but the save DCs for spells they cast while under this spell’s effect do increase.
A few feathers or a pinch of droppings from an eagle.

Each of these basically took the base spell and doubled everything but the casting time and duration. I'm not sure what the spell level should be.
NOTE: For 3.5, the spells instead increase the stat by 8. In addition, Greater Endurance becomes Greater Bear's Endurance.

DracoDei
2009-11-25, 05:24 PM
So... Bear's Endurance isn't in 3E?

absolmorph
2009-11-25, 05:42 PM
So... Bear's Endurance isn't in 3E?
I haven't seen it, but I can figure the effects.

Pigkappa
2009-11-25, 06:14 PM
Aren't these too good? An high-level party can easily cast 3 of these spells on each member (but probably a level 12/13 party can do it already), and they last all day long. That means a permanent +8 to 3 stats for every character, absolutely free. It can be dispelled, but I think it's still too good to be true.
Any wizard in the game would certainly want to learn them and get every day the huge bonus to Intelligence and the one to Constitution, and if there is no good reason for a spell to be not chosen, that is likely to be overpowered.

They would be more balanced if the duration were 1 minute/level, as for their lesser versions.

Sinfire Titan
2009-11-25, 06:15 PM
I haven't seen it, but I can figure the effects.

I assume you realized your own mistake, right? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/bearsEndurance.htm)

absolmorph
2009-11-25, 06:57 PM
I assume you realized your own mistake, right? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/bearsEndurance.htm)
Actually, that's not 3E, that's 3.5.
All the spells I used as a base for these are there, but instead of 1d4+1 increase, it's a +4 increase.

Pigkappa, I just realized that I left something out: the bonus is an enhancement bonus, so only one bonus will one each stat. I'll fix that right now.

lesser_minion
2009-11-25, 07:40 PM
I'd suggest changing the tag to 3.0 - 3e generally means both 3.0 and 3.5, which this isn't.

The spell you're missing is actually just called Endurance - Bear's Endurance is a pointless 3.5 renaming.

Also, bear in mind that Fox's Cunning, Eagle's Splendour and Owl's Wisdom are all non-core in 3.0, even though you could make potions to boost those three stats.

absolmorph
2009-11-25, 10:20 PM
I'd suggest changing the tag to 3.0 - 3e generally means both 3.0 and 3.5, which this isn't.

The spell you're missing is actually just called Endurance - Bear's Endurance is a pointless 3.5 renaming.

Also, bear in mind that Fox's Cunning, Eagle's Splendour and Owl's Wisdom are all non-core in 3.0, even though you could make potions to boost those three stats.
Ah, thanks for the information. I'll put one for that up, too.

I do know those three spells are non-core.