PDA

View Full Version : Alteration: Metamagic as Spells (Pêche)

Sinfire Titan
2009-11-25, 06:05 PM
The Metamagic Descriptor
Spells with the metamagic descriptor function differently from other spells. For starters, if a metamagic spell has a target other than the caster, they cannot target creatures (only other spell effects). Secondly, they cannot target Psionic powers (this is an exception to the Psionic/Magic Transparency). Third, they are cast as part of casting another spell. Fourth, they cannot be stored in a Metamagic Spell Trigger or Wondrous item. Fifth, and finally, even if they are converted into Psionic Powers via Spell-to-Power, or if a Bend Reality/Reality Revision effect is used to duplicate a metamagic spell, the effects of the metamagic spell still cannot be used to target a Psionic Power (this is an extension to the Psionic/Magic Transparency exception above).

Some metamagic spells have a casting time of "See Text". For those spell's casting times, refer to this paragraph and not to a later line of text in the spell's effect block. Metamagic spells with a casting time of See Text "double" the casting time of the spell you wish to alter. For example, if you wish to cast Extend Spell on Summon Monster 4, the casting time of Summon Monster 4 becomes 2 rounds instead of 1 round. If the spell's casting time is not expressed in Rounds, Minutes, or other increment of time larger than 1 Full Round Action, the spell's casting time is altered in a different way. Refer to the below chart for those spells to find their new casting time.

Old Casting Time : New Casting Time
1 Swift action : 1 Standard action
1 Immediate action : 1 Swift action
1 Standard action : 1 Full Round action
1 Full Round action : 1 Round

Some metamagic spells do not list a class. In these cases, any class capable of casting spells of that level are able to learn/prepare and cast these spells.

Unlike metamagic feats, metamagic spells act the same way for a spontaneous spellcaster as they do for a prepared spellcaster. No additional abilities are required to use metamagic spells with other spells. They do, however, take up spells known as normal.

Empower Spell
Universal (Metamagic)
Level: 2nd
Components: Verbal, Somatic
Casting Time: See text
Range: Personal
Target: Your next spell that has a variable effect, see text
Duration: Spell's duration, to a maximum of 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes (see text)

The next spell you cast is stronger than normal. If the next spell you cast deals a variable amount of damage (for the purpose of determining which spells qualify, any spell that deals Hit Point damage, Essentia Damage, inflicts Negative Levels, Ability Damage, Ability Burn damage, and Ability Drain are all considered damage; no other effects are altered by this spell), the damage dealt is increased by 50%. A variable amount of damage is any damage expressed solely in dice (such as Fireball), or in XdY+Z format (such as Magic Missile). If more than one type of damage is dealt, all of the damage is increased (for example, Meteor Swarm).

If the spell offers a saving throw for half or partial damage, a successful save reduces the damage taken after applying Empower Spell's effect. If the spell would affect a creature with spell resistance, you must roll to overcome that spell resistance even if the spell you cast does not allow it (such as Orb of Fire). If you fail to overcome the creature's spell resistance, determine the damage against that creature as though Empower spell had not been cast. If the spell affects a creature inside an Antimagic Field, such as a Conjuration (Creation) spell with a duration of Instantaneous, do not apply Empower Spell's effect to creatures inside the Antimagic Field.

Persistent Spell
Universal (Metamagic)
Level: 6th
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Personal or 25ft+5ft/caster level
Target: 1 3rd level or lower spell with a target of either Personal or a range expressed in a fixed value (see text)
Duration: See text
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No

The targeted spell now lasts longer than it previously did. A spell affected by Persistent Spell has it's duration changed to 24 Hours (if the spell was under the effects of the Extend Spell metamagic effect, the duration is instead 48 hours).

Only spells with a range expressed in a set amount of feet, yards, or miles, or a spell with a range of Personal can be targeted by Persistent Spell. If a spell's range is Touch, Ranged Touch, or if the spell's range is altered by any effect (such as Widen Spell, or a planar trait) Persistent Spell cannot target it. If the spell's range is Close, Medium, or Long, the spell is likewise untargetable. The spell cannot target spells being cast; the spell must be active while you are casting Persistent Spell (thus you cannot affect a spell with a duration less than 1 minute).

Heighten Spell
Universal (Metamagic)
Level: See Text
Casting Time: 1 Immediate action
Range: Personal
Target: Your next spell
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No

Heighten Spell functions differently for Spontaneous Casters and Prepared Casters. If you cast Heighten Spell spontaneously, select an unused spell slot of any level you are able to cast. Heighten Spell is considered to be a spell of that level. If you prepare Heighten Spell, you must choose which spell slot to prepare it in. When you cast it from a prepared spell slot, Heighten Spell is considered that level.

The next spell you cast has its Save DC determined as though its spell level were equal to Heighten Spell. If you do not begin casting a spell within 1 round, or if you cast a Metamagic Spell prior to casting, Heighten spell's effect is wasted. Likewise, if you begin casting a spell and then cancel the casting or if the spell is lost for any reason while you are casting it, Heighten Spell's effect is lost.

If the target of the spell you are casting cannot be affected by spells of a certain level (such as a target within a Globe of Invulnerability), use Heighten Spell's level instead of the other spell's level to determine if you can affect the target or not. If a spell affects spells of a certain level, such as Persistent Spell, use the original spell's level. Heighten Spell cannot reduce the level of a spell; if the next spell you cast is equal or higher level than Heighten Spell, Heighten Spell ignores that spell and considers the spell you cast after that to be the next spell you cast (and continues to do so). In this way, it is possible to extend the duration of Heighten Spell's effect by repeatedly casting spells of equal or higher level than Heighten Spell, then beginning to cast a low level spell. If, during this time, you are targeted or affected by Dispel Magic, Hieghten spell's effect is suppressed as though it were a magic item (Mage's Disjunction dispels it entirely, and entering an Antimagic Field or Dead Magic Zone suppresses Heighten Spell). Heighten Spell resumes functioning as though no time has passed once the Dispel effect has worn off.

erikun
2009-11-25, 09:14 PM
So to cast an empowered spell at something with SR, you need to roll twice to overcome the Spell Resistance? (one for the spell, one to empower it)

While giving metamagic'd spells a longer casting time is a (potentially) good balancing technique, turning them into spells is not. For primary casters, higher level spell slots are worth far more than lower level spell slots. A 2nd + 6th spell slot isn't worth as much as an 8th level slot, so you can throw around Empowered Disintegrate far more under this system than the standard one. My cleric can now cast Persistent Righteous Might the minute he hits 11th level, rather than than needing an (11th?) level spell slot or DMM cheese. I can now cast nearly anything Stilled or Silent, as long as I memorize the spells.

Overall, it makes casters far stronger.

Temotei
2009-11-25, 09:25 PM

:smallannoyed:

lightningcat
2009-11-26, 12:32 AM
I recall these spells (or at least very similar ones) from the 2e ToM, and I never used them. They didn't work as well as you might think, as they actually shortened the 5 minute work day. Plus remember that you never have more than 6 spells per day of any level (without house rules anyways:smallsmile:), which creates its own limit.

And what does Pêche mean, or is it an alternate PEACH?

Temotei
2009-11-26, 12:36 AM
Pêche (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%25C3%25AAche_%28halieutique%29&ei=FBUOS4ylCcGHnQf1wMnVAw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CA8Q7gEwAQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3DP%25C3%25AAche%26hl%3Den%26client%3Df irefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3D7vC%26sa%3DG).

Odd. I thought it was French for peach. Darn you Wikipedia!

Sinfire Titan
2009-11-26, 12:40 AM
So to cast an empowered spell at something with SR, you need to roll twice to overcome the Spell Resistance? (one for the spell, one to empower it)
Yes.

While giving metamagic'd spells a longer casting time is a (potentially) good balancing technique, turning them into spells is not. For primary casters, higher level spell slots are worth far more than lower level spell slots. A 2nd + 6th spell slot isn't worth as much as an 8th level slot, so you can throw around Empowered Disintegrate far more under this system than the standard one.
And? DD sucks as is. This also restricts casters form using multiple metamagic effects, which ends up more balanced.

My cleric can now cast Persistent Righteous Might the minute he hits 11th level, rather than than needing an (11th?) level spell slot or DMM cheese. I can now cast nearly anything Stilled or Silent, as long as I memorize the spells.
Reread Persistent Spell. Divine Might isn't a legal target.

Again, it stops them from stacking metamagic.

Sinfire Titan
2009-11-26, 12:41 AM
Pêche (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%25C3%25AAche_%28halieutique%29&ei=FBUOS4ylCcGHnQf1wMnVAw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CA8Q7gEwAQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3DP%25C3%25AAche%26hl%3Den%26client%3Df irefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3D7vC%26sa%3DG).

Odd. I thought it was French for peach. Darn you Wikipedia!

Tell that to the guys who wrote Xenosaga then.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-11-26, 12:42 AM
I recall these spells (or at least very similar ones) from the 2e ToM, and I never used them. They didn't work as well as you might think, as they actually shortened the 5 minute work day. Plus remember that you never have more than 6 spells per day of any level (without house rules anyways:smallsmile:), which creates its own limit.

There are plenty of ways to get more spells--higher stats, rings of wizardry, pearls of power, etc. will give you a lot more lower-level slots at a minimal investment.

Temotei
2009-11-26, 12:53 AM
Huh. I took French, and I'm pretty sure pêche is peach. Translators suck. Hehe. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Oh, by the way, that villain who says "ma belle pêche" is crazy. :smalltongue:

Sinfire Titan
2009-11-26, 01:00 AM
Huh. I took French, and I'm pretty sure pêche is peach. Translators suck. Hehe. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Oh, by the way, that villain who says "ma belle pêche" is crazy. :smalltongue:

TVTropes agrees. On both parts.

erikun
2009-11-26, 03:19 PM
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%AAche_(fruit)

Although la pêche is apparently the noun form fishing as well. Rather odd, given that fish is un poisson.

You're right, Sinfire. I didn't catch the limit on 3rd level spells for Persistent. What spells can now be persisted, though? The most common targets are buffs, none of which (levels 1-3) are personal. Heck, a paladin can't even persist Bless Weapon on his sword.

And while it stops stacking, it does mean you can throw metamagic onto anything you wish at anytime. Most wizards I run don't use their 1st-2nd level spell slots at higher levels (10+) beyond buffs, and this would allow them to cast a Still Dimensional Door whenever they want, or an Empowered Enervation. After all, most wizards won't be in a position where they need to use a move action.

Other than that? It will reduce metamagic abuse, or at least metamagic reducer abuse.

Sinfire Titan
2009-11-26, 09:49 PM
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%AAche_(fruit)

Although la pêche is apparently the noun form fishing as well. Rather odd, given that fish is un poisson.

You're right, Sinfire. I didn't catch the limit on 3rd level spells for Persistent. What spells can now be persisted, though? The most common targets are buffs, none of which (levels 1-3) are personal. Heck, a paladin can't even persist Bless Weapon on his sword.

Pallys can't cast Persist anyway. This is mainly to limit metamagic while still making it an option.

And while it stops stacking, it does mean you can throw metamagic onto anything you wish at anytime. Most wizards I run don't use their 1st-2nd level spell slots at higher levels (10+) beyond buffs, and this would allow them to cast a Still Dimensional Door whenever they want, or an Empowered Enervation. After all, most wizards won't be in a position where they need to use a move action.
1: DDoor has no Somatic components.
2: It means they are more likelyto run low on spells/day.
3: It renders the Incanatrix useless.

Temotei
2009-11-26, 10:49 PM
3: It renders the Incanatrix useless.

And no homebrew thing should ever do that, unless it's a monk fix.

lesser_minion
2009-11-27, 12:48 AM
And no homebrew thing should ever do that, unless it's a monk fix.

Please refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:SARC

Alternatively, you might want to explain where that's coming from - I agree with Sinfire here. There is no problem with a homebrew making any PrC irrelevant, even less so for the incantatrix.

PrCs are still optional rules, just as much as homebrew.

Temotei
2009-11-27, 01:08 AM
Alternatively, you might want to explain where that's coming from - I agree with Sinfire here. There is no problem with a homebrew making any PrC irrelevant, even less so for the incantatrix.

PrCs are still optional rules, just as much as homebrew.

Half of my post was sarcasm, half wasn't. I bet it'll be impossible to guess which part is which! :smallamused:

Latronis
2009-11-27, 01:11 AM
Implying the monk needs fixing is most assuredly sarcasm!!

Temotei
2009-11-27, 01:30 AM
Implying the monk needs fixing is most assuredly sarcasm!!

Right you are! :thog: