PDA

View Full Version : How does blindsense work?

quiet1mi
2009-11-25, 07:41 PM
I am currently in a bit of a bind. As a beguiler I rely on my illusions to... well beguile my foes... but when I come up against an opponent with blindsight or Truesight I can count on my illusions not working.

But what happens when I come face to face with blindsense... I know I can fool tremorsense with the vibrations of major image but blindsense leaves me at a loss.

Does blindsense defeat illusions or does it only defeat the lower level ones like tremorsense.

I imagine it as what a high level blind person has, using his hearing and olfactory to detect when people are trying to sneak up on him or at least give him an idea where people are...

Dusk Eclipse
2009-11-25, 07:43 PM
In my RL group we rule that blindsense is a convination of hearing and smell, so a major imaga can fool it, (for a time at least)

erikun
2009-11-25, 08:42 PM
Yeah, it depends on what blindsense. Blindsense Blindsight for a Grimlock (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/grimlock.htm) is based on sound, so you need an illusion with sound to fool one. Blindsense for a dragon, though, will be harder to trick.

The other option is to not throw illusions right in their faces. An illusion of shrubbery obscuring an archer or spellthrowing wizard standing 100' away works just as well as the real thing. If you can negate the sense somehow, such as Fly against something with tremorsense, then illusions work just as well as against everything else.