PDA

View Full Version : Darkwood Armor?

Fortuna
2009-11-25, 08:06 PM
Looking at the Darkwood material, and the ironwood spell, I am forced to ask: would there be any point in darkwood armor? I am playing a druid, but would there be any benefit from using ironwood on darkwood?

Crafty Cultist
2009-11-25, 08:37 PM
The iron wood spell causes wood to mimic steel. if you used darkwood its properties would be replaced by those of steel, just like any other wood

Glimbur
2009-11-25, 10:25 PM
Note that the wood used is a material component, meaning it is used up after the duration runs out.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-26, 06:21 AM
would there be any benefit from using ironwood on darkwood?
None at all.

What you're looking for is a spell that would make wood mimic mithral instead of steel. No such spell exists, AFAIK.

Yuki Akuma
2009-11-26, 06:25 AM
Note that the wood used is a material component, meaning it is used up after the duration runs out.

No, it vanishes instantly, consumed by the magics of the spell. The ironwood item appears in the same instant, then vanishes when the spell wears off.

Slight difference. :smallwink:

Darrin
2009-11-26, 10:19 AM
Looking at the Darkwood material, and the ironwood spell, I am forced to ask: would there be any point in darkwood armor? I am playing a druid, but would there be any benefit from using ironwood on darkwood?

There are a few dozen non-metallic options for druids:

Blue Ice (Frostburn): +1 Dex bonus, -2 ACP, lighter weight category.
Bluewood (Unapproachable East): same as masterwork metal, higher cost.
Bronzewood (A&EG): same as metal, except -10% weight.
Chameleon Leather (Serpent Kingdoms): leather with +2 circumstance bonus on Hide checks.
Darkleaf (A&EG, Eberron): +1 Dex bonus, -2 ACP, -5% ASF, lighter weight category.
Dragonhide (DMG): same as metal, double masterwork cost.
Dragoncraft Armor (Draconomicon): as dragonhide, but energy resistance 5, and lighter weight category.
Dreamhide (Secrets of Xendrik): roughly equivalent to chain shirt.
Duskwood Breastplate (Magic of Faerun): +1 Dex bonus, -2 ACP, -5% ASR, lighter weight category.
Chitin (A&EG): -50% weight.
Chitin (Races of Eberron, Xendrik): Roughly equivalent to leather armor.
Chitin (Races of the Dragon): +1 Dex bonus, always masterwork.
Chitin (Races of Faerun): better AC than normal hide.
Chitine Web (FR Underdark): similar to studded leather.
Elukian Clay (A&EG): +1 ACP.
Dendritic Crystal (Races of Faerun): definitely a weird one, not sure if it's Druid-safe but it doesn't say anything about being metal. But it grows by itself, that's nature-friendly, right?
Dhenuka (Oriental Adventures): Rhino hide armor, better AC than normal hide.
Gnome Twistcloth (Races of Stone): exotic, similar to padded, but Dex bonus has no max. Can be worn without exotic armor proficiency, but if you do take the feat, you can enchant it and apply its enhancement bonus to touch attacks.
Mammoth Leather (Races of Stone): similar to chain shirt but -4 ACP.
Mud (Races of Faerun): for important state dinners and impressing nobility.
Nightscale (FR Underdark): leather but with a Dex bonus on steroids, best combo of armor bonus and max Dex in the game, up to +12.
Scorpion Breastplate (Races of Eberron, Xendrik): better AC than normal hide.
Sentira (Secrets of Sarlona): says its organic, used in emotional armor, same effects as mithral. Doesn't really say if it's Druid-friendly, though.
Serpentscale Mail (Serpent Kingdoms): similar to a normal breastplate.
Sharkskin Armor (Races of Faerun): similar to studded leather, slightly better stats, and built-in armor spikes.
Spidersilk (FR Underdark): Exotic, like studded but Dex bonus goes up to +8.
Stonemail (FR Underdark): non-metallic version of chainmail.
Stone Plate (Races of Stone): somewhat similar to splint or banded mail.
Tentacled Hide (FR Underdark): exotic hide armor for Hentai addicts.
Thunderhide Armor (Serpent Kingdoms): same AC as normal hide, but better Dex bonus and ACP.
Vine (Secrets of Xendrik): leather armor that you have to water or it dies.
War Chitin (Secrets of Xendrik): similar to half-plate, but better Dex bonus and ACP.
Wildwood (Races of the Wild): -1 AC, +1 Dex bonus, -1 ACP, -5% ASF.

AirGuitarGod32
2009-11-26, 11:03 AM
Tentacled Hide (FR Underdark): exotic hide armor for Hentai addicts.

Lol... I'd say go with his options. I also say trust in your DM. He let me at one time run a Samurai with a wooden katana that was under a constant Ironwood spell.

Fortuna
2009-11-26, 01:39 PM
Unfortunately, I have no access to anything other than SRD (which is why I was curious). My DM is lenient though, so I will run some of those by him.

Riffington
2009-11-26, 01:43 PM
constant Ironwood spell.

Was this in the Hentai campaign?