PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Untyped energy damage

Thurbane
2009-11-25, 09:29 PM
Hey all,

I'm just trying to think of few sources of untyped energy damage (i.e. not acid, electricity, fire, cold, sonic, negative, positive or force).

So far only 3 spring to mind: Searing Light, Disintegrate and the damage a wielder takes from a Vicious weapon. I'm sure there's a lot I've missed, especially outside core...

(I'm basically trying to think of ways to damage a creature with resistance to all of the standard energy types).

sofawall
2009-11-25, 09:32 PM
Well, it isn't untyped energy damage. It's just untyped.

Temet Nosce
2009-11-25, 09:35 PM
Maw of Chaos is the only one I recall immediately off the top of my head.

ex cathedra
2009-11-25, 09:37 PM
Flamestrike, Paragnostic Apostle's Manifest Ethos, Sanctified One of Kord's Holy Fire, and all of the untyped spells like Disintegrate and Love's Pain.

At least, those come to mind immediately. Not many things resist Holy Fire, but it costs a level of caster progression.

Duke of URL
2009-11-25, 09:40 PM
A Warlock's Eldritch Blast is untyped by default. (Essences can make it typed.)

Thurbane
2009-11-25, 10:24 PM
...also, any of these that don't have Spell Resistance?

ex cathedra
2009-11-25, 10:30 PM
Holy Fire and Manifest Ethos apply to any spells you cast. So, some have SR and some don't. Orb of Fire is a great choice for this, since it's SR:No, has good damage progression, a carrier effect, and works against magic-immune creatures and through AMFs.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-25, 11:52 PM
I prefer Searing Spell(meta, Sandstorm). Immunity to fire only reduces the damage by half, and it by default can be added to some of the best damage spells in the game(Greater Fireburst, Scorching Ray, Orb of Fire).

Zaq
2009-11-26, 02:54 AM
I'm pretty sure that a Soulspark's ray attack is untyped. PCs can access them through the soulmeld Soulspark Familiar.

Also, each Reversed Word of Nurturing utterance is weak for its respective level across the board, but it's friggin' impossible to stop if you can buff your Truespeak checks high enough. It doesn't allow a save, SR can be ignored by taking a +5 to the Truespeak DC, it's untyped damage, and it's not physical (so DR shouldn't apply). A Truenamer doesn't do a lot of damage, but the damage they DO manage to provide tends to be difficult to prevent.

Yuki Akuma
2009-11-26, 05:48 AM
There's a difference between "energy damage" and untyped damage fluffed as "energetic" in nature.

(Energy damage is Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire and Sonic. Positive and Negative aren't even energy types - they're something else.)

Cyclocone
2009-11-26, 07:02 AM
Well, Archmages Arcane Fire is untyped and SR: No...

Corrupt Spell makes half the damage Vile (or somesuch).

Radiant Assault is [light], is that close enough?

Also, isn't Maw of Chaos Force damage?
IIRC it doesn't have the [Force] subtype, but the spell specifically says it's force damage.

Temet Nosce
2009-11-26, 07:26 AM
Also, isn't Maw of Chaos Force damage?
IIRC it doesn't have the [Force] subtype, but the spell specifically says it's force damage.

No. I just double checked to be sure.

Also, forgot Hail of Stone.

Fishy
2009-11-26, 08:05 AM
Elemental Savants get to de-type half of the damage from spells of their favored element.

GolemsVoice
2009-11-26, 09:06 AM
BoVD and BoED, and a few other sources, also mention spells that do part energy damage, part damage that is named holy or vile, but can't be prevented, as far as I know. It's basically the manifestation of the alignment in question slapping you.

Dusk Eclipse
2009-11-26, 09:47 AM
I don't know about Holy damage, but IIRC vile damage is a special kind that cannot be healed unless you cast the spell on a hallowed site

katans
2009-11-26, 10:06 AM
Vengeful Spirit feat from Complete Mage. If you ever play a Wu Jen, of course...

Magnema
2009-11-26, 11:01 AM
Piercing evocation from CM. Makes up to 10 points untyped.

Thurbane
2009-11-26, 09:12 PM
Thanks all for the excellent suggestions.

avr
2009-11-26, 10:18 PM
Silver Pyromancers (Five Nations, I think) get to make fire spells do sacred damage instead. Not much is immune to that.