PDA

View Full Version : Custom Class - Myrmidon

SouthpawHare
2009-11-26, 04:13 AM
Updated! Version 4.2 or something!

This is a custom class that I created in order to represent the Myrmidon class of characters in the Fire Emblem series. Please review it and give any comments or criticism you wish. Particularly, I WANT and GREATLY APPRECIATE criticism about power and balance, as I wish for this class to be balanced with normal D&D classes, and not playable merely in a custom setting.

------------------------

Myrmidon
“I've also been training my sword skills, and I've won at many arenas around the continent. You don't have to go easy on me!”

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/thumb/b/b1/Fir.jpg/250px-Fir.jpg

Myrmidons are agile swordfighters that value skill, specifically that of the blade, over all else. All myrmidons follow the path of seeking true mastery over swords, and fight particularly well with single one-handed swords. They place their faith in only their weapon and their skill, and shunning protection from heavy armor and shields. Though they are not as tough or well-defended as fighters nor as stealthy or skilled as rogues, their emphasis on speed and pure skill as applied directly to combat can make them a fearful foe to face on the field of battle.

Adventures:
The nature of a myrmidon is to be driven to pursue their art of swordsmanship. Some myrmidons adventure for the direct goal of training or improving their skill, while others seek to use what they know for more personal reasons, such as protecting villages from monsters or becoming a mercenary, while knowing well that their ability with the blade will improve in the process as an important side-effect.

Races:
Myrmidons are most commonly humans, who have the natural ambition and drive that is the hallmark of the class. Elves, who respect great swordplay as an art and possess excellent grace and agility, also sometimes become myrmidons. Half-elves may become a myrmidon for the same reasons as humans or elves. Members of other races may occasionally become myrmidons if they possess the drive for ability and the natural agility that the class demands. Myrmidons are almost exclusively found among civilized races.

Other Classes:
Myrmidons are well suited to working with a variety of different classes. They may be very similar to certain fighters, both in terms of role and motivation, and may have a great respect for their ability. They tend to respect the dedication and devotion shown by paladins, monks, and clerics. They share an uncanny nimbleness with most rogues, but have a distaste for their trickery and unfairness in combat. They may even be able to relate to wizards, as many myrmidons consider themselves to be similarly studious in pursuit of their own art. Though there are many classes with which they have little in common with, such as sorcerers, they can easily find justification to work with anyone who provides a strategic benefit in combat, so long as they do not grossly or excessively violate their belief system.

Role:
The myrmidon's role in a group is as an offensive melee combatant. While lacking defensively when compared other front-line warriors, they excel at defeating foes quickly after engaging them.

Abilities:
Dexterity is the primary ability score used by a myrmidon in combat, potentially being used for their attack rolls, for extra damage, and to enhance their otherwise low armor class. Constitution is important for increasing their hit points, which are lower than other front-line melee classes. Wisdom is important for their sensory skills such as spot and listen, and gives them more uses of their focused alertness ability that can further enhance them. Strength is not as important for a myrmidon as it is for other melee-based characters, but they can still benefit from it.

The myrmidon’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill points: 4 + Int modifier per level (x4 at 1st level)

Hit die: d8

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A myrmidon is proficient with the dagger, short sword, longsword, rapier, scimitar, kukri, greatsword, falchion, and bastard sword. Myrmidons are proficient with light armor, but not shields.

Alignment: Any. Myrmidons tend more towards being lawful due to their strict, self-imposed guidelines. However, chaotic myrmidons are possible, and tend to be easy-going wanderers that travel wherever adventure can be found.

Myrmidon
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+0|Weapon Specialty, Combat Style (Weapon Finesse), Focused Alertness

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+0|Combat Style (Weapon Focus), Blazing Attack (1/day)

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1|Combat Style (Graceful Edge), Agile Strike

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+1|Combat Style (Weapon Specialization), Uncanny Dodge

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+1|Weapon Specialty, Blade Sense

6th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+5|
+2|Blazing Attack (1/encounter)

7th|
+7/+2|
+2|
+5|
+2|Combat Style (Greater Weapon Focus)

8th|
+8/+3|
+2|
+6|
+2|Improved Uncanny Dodge

9th|
+9/+4|
+3|
+6|
+3|Evasion, Confident Critical (+1/+2)

10th|
+10/+5|
+3|
+7|
+3|Weapon Specialty

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+3|
+7|
+3|Combat Style (Greater Weapon Specialization), Blazing Attack (2/encounter)

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+4|
+8|
+4|Skilled Critical (Multiplier +1)

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+4|
+8|
+4|Vulnerability Sense

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+4|
+9|
+4|Combat Style (Weapon Mastery), Confident Critical (+2/+4)

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+5|
+9|
+5|Improved Evasion, Skilled Critical (Multiplier +2)

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+10|
+5|Blazing Attack (3/encounter)

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+5|Combat Style (Weapon Supremacy)

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+6|Skilled Critical (Multiplier +3)

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+6|Confident Critical (+3/+6)

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+6|Astra[/table]

Weapon Specialty (Ex):
A 1st level myrmidon chooses a type of sword that they are proficient in that they will dedicate themselves to the mastery of. The myrmidon chooses one of the following: Short sword, longsword, rapier, scimitar, bastard sword. The myrmidon may choose a second weapon at 5th level, and a third weapon at 10th level. All of the benefits granted to these weapons by other abilities of the myrmidon are granted retroactively when new weapons are chosen.

Combat Style (Ex):
At various levels, the myrmidon gains the benefits of bonus feats. If a feat specifies a specific weapon type, the myrmidon counts as having the feat for each of the weapon types they have chosen for weapon specialty, with the exception of Weapon Supremacy, which requires that they choose only one of their weapons chosen for weapon specialty. The benefits of feats marked with an asterisk (*) only apply when the myrmidon is wearing light or no armor, is unencumbered and is not holding a weapon or shield in their off hand.
The feats are: Weapon Finesse* at 1st level, Weapon Focus at 2nd level, Graceful Edge* at 3rd level, Weapon Specialization at 4th level, Greater Weapon Focus at 7th level, Greater Weapon Specialization at 11th level, Weapon Mastery (Slashing) at 14th level, and Weapon Supremacy at 17th level. The myrmidon counts as having these feats even if they do not meet the normal prerequisites for them.

Focused Alertness (Ex):
All myrmidons possess a heightened awareness that stems from their dedicated focus. A number of times per day equal to 3 + the myrmidons wisdom bonus (if any), they may choose to use their concentration skill ranks in place of their listen or spot skill ranks when making respective skill checks.

Blazing Attack (Ex):
At 2nd level, a myrmidon gains the ability to act and attack with frightening speed. Once per day as a free action, they may treat themselves as being under the effect of haste until the start of the next turn. At 6th level, the myrmidon may use this ability once per encounter, twice per encounter at 11th level, and three times per encounter at 16th level. This ability can only be used when the myrmidon is wearing light or no armor, is unencumbered and is not holding a weapon or shield in their off hand.

Agile Strike (Ex):
At 3rd level, a myrmidon gains the ability to add their dexterity bonus (if any) to all damage rolls with weapons of their chosen types. Creatures that are immune to extra damage from critical hits or sneak attack are also immune to the extra damage from this ability.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex):
At 4th level, a myrmidon gains the ability to retain their dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. They still lose their Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.
If the myrmidon already has uncanny dodge from a different class, they automatically gain improved uncanny dodge instead.

Blade Sense (Ex):
At 5th level, a myrmidon begins to feel an understanding with blades that they hold in their hands. At will as a standard action, they may use the effect of identify on any weapon that they hold that is of these chosen types for weapon specialty.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex):
At 8th level, a myrmidon can no longer be flanked.

Evasion (Ex):
At 9th level, a myrmidon no longer takes any damage on a successful reflex save that normally reduces damage by half on a successful save. This only applies when the myrmidon is wearing light or no armor, is unencumbered and is not holding a weapon or shield in their off hand.

Confident Critical (Ex):
At 9th level, the critical range for all of the myrmidon's weapons increase by +1. The myrmidon also gains a +2 to all rolls to confirm critical hits. These bonuses increase to +2/+4 at 14th level and +3/+6 at 19th level. These benefits stack with other effects of the same type (however, certain effects do not necessarily stack with each other). This only applies when the myrmidon is wearing light or no armor, is unencumbered and is not holding a weapon or shield in their off hand.

Skilled Critical (Ex):
At 12th level, when a myrmidon wields their chosen weapon, the multiplier on a critical hit is increased by 1. This is increased to +2 at 15th level and +3 at 18th level. This only applies when the myrmidon is wearing light or no armor, is unencumbered and is not holding a weapon or shield in their off hand.

Vulnerability Sense (Ex):
At 13th level, a myrmidon becomes able to deal critical damage to creatures that are normally unaffected by them. If the myrmidon rolls a critical hit on a target that is normally immune to critical hits, the attack is still considered a critical hit and the critical multiplier of the weapon is considered to be 2 less (minimum of x2) for the purposes of the attack. Additionally, the effects of the agile strike ability now effect creatures that are normally immune to critical hits. These benefits only apply when the myrmidon is wearing light or no armor, is unencumbered and is not holding a weapon or shield in their off hand.

Improved Evasion (Ex):
At 15th level, a myrmidon takes half damage on a failed reflex save that normally reduces damage by half on a successful save. This only applies when the myrmidon is unarmored and unencumbered and is not holding a weapon or shield in their off hand.

Astra (Ex):
At 20th level, a myrmidon becomes legendarily fast and skilled in swordplay. Once per encounter, a myrmidon may use a full round attack option to make up to five attacks on a single target at their highest attack bonus. This ability can only be used when the myrmidon is wearing light or no armor, is unencumbered and is not holding a weapon or shield in their off hand.

Clarification on the Graceful Edge feat from Age of Worms:
Prerequisites: Weapon finesse, Weapon Focus (Any one handed Slashing Weapon), Base Attack Bonus +1.

Benefit: If you do not wield a shield or weapon in your off-hand you treat your chosen weapon as a light weapon.

If you do not wield a shield or weapon in your off-hand, you also gain a +1 shield bonus to your AC while wielding your chosen weapon.

When you are fighting defensively or using the total defense action, this shield bonus increases to +2

Special: A fighter may select Improved Buckler Defense as one of his fighter bonus feats.

You may take this feat more than once, each time you do, it applies to a new one-handed slashing weapon you have weapon focus in.

SouthpawHare
2009-11-26, 04:23 AM
The Myrmidon class can be easily compared to other classes, and is a kind of mix-and-match of classes that would not be possible through simple multiclassing. They are most similar to a fighter, with major differences. They have less HP, can use fewer weapons effectively and cannot use any armor or shields, and lack the freedom of choice that the fighter's bonus feats allow. In exchange, they have more skill points and class skill choices, an AC bonus when unarmored like a Monk (and with a slightly higher growth rate), more bonus feats (albeit without choice), the evasion and improved evasion abilities, and some special abilities relating to critical hits at higher levels. Also, they have high reflex but low fortitude saves, more like a rogue. In the end, they are something like a combination of Fighter, Rogue, and Monk, but without the special abilities of the latter two such as sneak attack and unarmed strike, and with no detriment to attack bonus or pace at gaining combat-related feats.

Please, give your opinions on this class. I realize that it may currently be unbalanced, and I am accepting of constructive criticism. Please be fair and respectful when judging it.

Mulletmanalive
2009-11-26, 07:35 AM
I'm just wondering where some of these ability ideas came from: many of the features seem to be going towards making Achilies, King of the Myrmadon by level 20 but you've denied them armour and shields...not something i would expect from either ants-made-warriors or dudes raised for war.

If anything, i'd say that in general terms, the per day abilities are unattractive. If they were per encounter abilities, they would make the character more attractive as an option, but as is, i would have long since diverged into something that gave either bonus feats or something more concrete.

Possibly i'm looking at it through a lens of FORCING my players to keep going rather than resting between encounters, but the class you've presented here would have run out of limited use stuff really quickly and be a dangerous but rather too fragile combatant from that point on.

For instance, i don't think a Once per Encounter reroll on Confirmation Rolls is overpowered: especially not at 12th level [where it will rarely come into play on primary attacks] and a Once per Encounter autocrit wouldn't be too bad either, effectively being equal to Smite Evil at that level.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-11-26, 10:24 AM
Haven't look at it yet, but I'd consider a name change: the original Myrmidons (those lead by Achilles) were sword and shield (or, more frequently, spear and shield) fighters, not the swashbuckling sort you describe here. They were also well armored...

Then again, I'm just picky about this, being a Classics major. I take my Illiad seriously. :smalltongue:

UglyPanda
2009-11-26, 11:18 AM
I second the armor and shield if you want to call it Mymidons. Monk bonus AC just isn't good.

Crunch-wise, it's just not good. It's actually somewhat worse than a straight fighter due to the fixed bonus feats. Weapon focus and specialization are just not worth it compared to the Ubercharger or Spiked Chain line of feats.

Rithaniel
2009-11-26, 11:52 AM
Alright, just gave this a quick read through, and, honestly dude, I've gotta give a quick critque:

All right, you start off the game with d8 HD as a melee character, which is acceptable, if you're going for the glass cannon feel, but you're gonna need some damage output if you're not gonna be able to take many hits like that.

Next, you have High BAB, good job, moving on...

Next you get into proficiencies, and you give them weapon proficiency with all simply and martial swords, which really narrows the options this guy has. After that, you deny them armor and shields, and take away any chance they may have had at having decent AC at the same time, this guy is feeling more and more like the most fragile glass cannon every, you are goona seriously need some awesome damage output here.

Skills, good call, no one deserves (2 + Int) skill points

Now, that's the basics, and we now find ourselves situated in a class that needs high damage output. Lets look at the levels:

Starting at level one, the level in which you are most likely to die just because the enemies sneezed, this guy gets Monk 'Wisdom to AC', and an ability that officially makes it so he can say 'I like this sword', and nothing else. So, you start the game with Mutiple Ability Dependencies, terrible AC, bad hp, only one good save, and the the damage output ability of a commoner.

Level two, you get WF and CE, oh joy, two feats at once, aren't you feeling special, and one lets you repair that wound in AC that you took a second ago, the other makes the penalty you took for that boost to AC a bit less painful, but you still have bad hp, M.A.D., and relatively ****ty AC, considering that you have, at most, a +2 to AC now.

Level three, oooo, now you can use your greatsword while in a creatures throat, or in a grapple, thats a nice little flavourful ability, if only you could do some decent damage with it at the same time, then that might be a reasonable boost in power.

(Sorry, gotta cut this short, I'll return later on today to finish this off, cya)

Zevox
2009-11-26, 11:58 AM
He's taking the inspiration and name for the class from the Fire Emblem Myrmidon class, guys, not the Illiad.

Anyway, my thoughts in brief:
- The early levels are rather bonus-feat heavy. Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Improved versions of both of those, and Combat Expertise all in the first ten levels. In addition to numerous non-feat special abilities. But later levels seem pretty dry. Basic abilities go up by a use/point or two, and otherwise there's just that Trueblade ability (though given you have to beat the enemy's AC by 10 to use it and get so few uses per day, it's not terribly attractive).
- The Skilled Critical ability grants them a bonus when wielding a Keen weapon, but doesn't let Keen stack with Improved Critical. And the class gives Improved Critical. And the bonus the ability gives is far too low to justify the cost of Keen when you have Improved Critical already. So it seems pointless to me.
- Your abilities which mention armor restrictions generally say that the Myrmidon must not be holding a shield. Does that mean that Animated shields, which float near you but are not held, would be okay for a Myrmidon? I'm not sure if that was your intent or not. Most D&D classes with armor restrictions wouldn't allow it, but I could see it making sense here, personally.
- You might consider looking at the Swashbuckler (Complete Warrior) class for some ideas. It has a somewhat similar, albeit not identical, concept. It offers things like a free Weapon Finesse feat at 1st level, the ability to add your intelligence modifier to damage (in addition to strength), dodge bonuses to AC that work like the Dodge feat, the ability to charge over difficult terrain or obstacles with jump/tumble/whatever checks may be appropriate, and others.
- Some skills you might consider adding as class skills: spot, listen, escape artist, heal.

Edit: Idea. One of the distinguishing features of the Myrmidons of Fire Emblem is that their high speed allows them to dodge and double-attack most anything. How about giving this class an ability to replicate that? Say, for instance, a limited-use ability that replicates the effect of a Haste spell?

Zevox

SouthpawHare
2009-11-26, 04:15 PM
Thanks for your opinions so far, everyone! I am definitely keeping them all in mind and will be revising it in the near future after I get enough feedback. Remember that the class name is based off of the Fire Emblem series and not the historical warriors of ancient Greece. Also, the character is indeed intended to be a "glass cannon" type of warrior (as they are in FE), having low HP and defense but being able to cut through most enemies with a single shot (usually a well placed critical hit). I recognize that they may be a bit underpowered in this regard still, so please keep your input coming.

Caldarin
2009-11-26, 08:06 PM
Honestly, I'd scrap the wisdom to AC in favor of light armor proficiency, and change the abilities to work with light armor. Otherwise Rith is right and your abilities will be spread too thin.

also, for Graceful edge, you might want to specify that this only counts in situations where it would be advantageous to be wielding a light weapon (as opposed to opposed disarm checks where it in fact gives a penalty)

Cute_Riolu
2009-11-26, 08:20 PM
Honestly, I'd scrap the wisdom to AC in favor of light armor proficiency, and change the abilities to work with light armor. Otherwise Rith is right and your abilities will be spread too thin.

also, for Graceful edge, you might want to specify that this only counts in situations where it would be advantageous to be wielding a light weapon (as opposed to opposed disarm checks where it in fact gives a penalty)

Perhaps, instead, add light armor proficiency but don't take away the wisdom bonus.

Some other things:

As of now, they suffer from MAD, needing strength for damage, dexterity for AC, constitution for HP, and Wisdom for AC. One thing you could do to change that would be to allow them to apply Wisdom or Dexterity (or both, at later levels!) to damage. Criticals are nice and all, but if they're your only way of dealing damage to DR 10+ monsters, it's not that great.

Perhaps, also, you might give them a bonus to crit damage? Either increasing their weapon's crit multiplier, or tacking on growing damage as they level.

I definitely agree with Zevox; it needs something to represent, other than AC and such, the myrmidon's dodge and double attack.

absolmorph
2009-11-26, 09:04 PM
First, give them light armor proficiency, and allow all abilities to apply while wearing light armor. Scrap the bonus to AC.

Second, change Skilled Critical so it causes Keen and Improved Critical to stack. Also, have it increase the range as well at later levels. They're supposed to be glass cannons that get their biggest damage from critical hits. They're also supposed to crit really often (it's a 15% increase in the US version of the GBA Fire Emblem, and 30% is FE:SS), which is what makes crits actually something you can somewhat rely on.

Third, change Confident Critical. Change the name (so it's more fitting) and have it increase the damage multiplier for critical hits (x2 to x3, etc.). Have this increase in effect at later levels (increase by one, then two, then three).

That'll make it more like this (also put into a nice table that include all the numbers):

Myrmidon

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+0|Weapon Specialty

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+0|Weapon Focus, Combat Expertise

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1|Graceful Edge

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+1|Weapon Specialization

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+1|

6th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+5|
+2|Improve Critical

7th|
+7/+2|
+2|
+5|
+2|Greater Weapon Focus

8th|
+8/+3|
+2|
+6|
+2|

9th|
+9/+4|
+3|
+6|
+3|Evasion, Skilled Critical

10th|
+10/+5|
+3|
+7|
+3|Greater Weapon Specialization

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+3|
+7|
+3|

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+4|
+8|
+4|Confident Critical (Multiplier +1)

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+4|
+8|
+4|Bonus Feat

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+4|
+9|
+4|True Blade (1/day)

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+5|
+9|
+5|Confident Critical (Multiplier +2)

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+10|
+5|Skilled Critical (Threat Range Doubled)

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+5|

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+6|Confident Critical (Multiplier +3)

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+6|

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+6|Trueblade (2/day)[/table]

Then, give them a way to get an extra attack or two. They could probably use Weapon Finesse (especially allowing them to add Dexterity to damage and attack rolls).
At twentieth level, a Myrmidon's rapier would be like this:
Rapier 1d6 9-20/×5 2 lb. Piercing
This means more than half the time the damage will be 5d6+(5xbonuses). Per hit. I'd say that's a glass cannon.
EDIT: I did some number crunching, and the crit percent is pretty much even. One percent less, actually. Doing more crunching, if the rapier is +5 and using a 14 strength score, the damage would be 5d6+55. Not shabby.

Temotei
2009-11-26, 10:38 PM
I recommend getting a capstone that's not just another use of an already-acquired ability. It's just boring to get that at level 20, after working so hard to get there. Perhaps a move that allows the myrmidon to deal an automatic critical at 2x (or even 3x--that wouldn't be bad) the normal critical damage, and make the enemy have to make a Fortitude save or die, similar to a coup de grace.

I also would say add the bastard sword as a proficiency. In the game, they're the equivalent to katanas, which I remember myrmidons having in Fire Emblem. (Never mind--just add it to the proficiency list. I found it in the ability descriptions.)

Light armor proficiency would be a good idea too.

A table would also be nice. You can find examples of them farther down the page here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313).

Bold each ability name, and say what type of ability it is (extraordinary, supernatural, or spell-like ability). Also bold the class name in the header, hit die (only the words "hit die"), base attack bonus, saves, proficiencies, alignment, and skills. Each skill should also have the associated ability after it in parentheses (i.e. Balance (Dex)).

Solaris
2009-11-26, 10:58 PM
I'd also like to see the multiclass restriction go away.
Maybe it could use something akin to the Whirling Frenzy in order to represent the speed and attack boost.

Dusk Eclipse
2009-11-26, 11:15 PM
I like the idea, myrmidons and by extension swordmasters are my favorite class in FE.

I suggest you also give them flachion proficiency, I mean you give them all "standard" swords and their big brothers, but you don't give the scimitar his big brother?.

maybe you should consider something kind like Iajutsu focus for extra damage.

Khaeta
2009-11-26, 11:38 PM
I like the idea, myrmidons and by extension swordmasters are my favorite class in FE.

I suggest you also give them flachion proficiency, I mean you give them all "standard" swords and their big brothers, but you don't give the scimitar his big brother?.

maybe you should consider something kind like Iajutsu focus for extra damage.

Going off of that a bit:
Why do they get greatswords? It's kind of against the idea of an "agile swordfighter" attacking with a "single one handed sword."

I suspect that's why they don't get falchions, but what's the deal with the greatsword?

absolmorph
2009-11-27, 02:20 AM
Going off of that a bit:
Why do they get greatswords? It's kind of against the idea of an "agile swordfighter" attacking with a "single one handed sword."

I suspect that's why they don't get falchions, but what's the deal with the greatsword?
I agree. It's a bit... strange.
Maybe replace greatsword with Bastard sword?

absolmorph
2009-11-27, 03:26 AM
Because I like the idea, I changed it to look more like a FE myrmidon.

Myrmidon

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+0|Weapon Specialty

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+0|Weapon Focus, Combat Expertise

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1|Graceful Edge

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+1|Weapon Specialization

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+1|

6th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+5|
+2|Improve Critical

7th|
+7/+2|
+2|
+5|
+2|Greater Weapon Focus

8th|
+8/+3|
+2|
+6|
+2|

9th|
+9/+4|
+3|
+6|
+3|Evasion, Skilled Critical

10th|
+10/+5|
+3|
+7|
+3|Greater Weapon Specialization

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+3|
+7|
+3|

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+4|
+8|
+4|Confident Critical (Multiplier +1)

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+4|
+8|
+4|Bonus Feat

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+4|
+9|
+4|Weapon Specialty

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+5|
+9|
+5|Confident Critical (Multiplier +2)

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+10|
+5|Skilled Critical (Threat Range Doubled)

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+5|Improved Evasion

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+6|Confident Critical (Multiplier +3)

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+6|

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+6|Weapon Specialty[/table]

Weapon Specialty:
A 1st level Myrmidon chooses a type of sword that they are proficient in that they will dedicate themselves to the mastery of. Many of the abilities they will learn at future levels apply only to the weapon type chosen here. The myrmidon chooses one of the following: Short sword, longsword, rapier, scimitar, bastard sword.
The Myrmidon may choose a second weapon at 14th level, and a third weapon at 20th. All class features that apply to the chosen weapon apply to all.

Weapon Focus:
At 2nd level, a Myrmidon gains the weapon focus feat with their chosen weapon type.

Combat Expertise:
At 2nd level, a Myrmidon gains the combat expertise feat. The benefits of this feat count only when the Myrmidon is unarmored or in light armor and unencumbered and is not holding a weapon or shield in their offhand.

Graceful Edge:
At 3rd level, a Myrmidon may add their Dexterity bonus to attack and damge rolls with their chosen weapon, in addition to their Strength bonus.

Weapon Specialization:
At 4th level, a Myrmidon gains the weapon specialization feat with their chosen weapon type, even if they would not normally meet the requirements for the feat.

Improved Critical:
At 6th level, a Myrmidon gains the improved critical feat with their chosen weapon type, even if they would not normally meet the requirements for the feat.

Greater Weapon Focus:
At 7th level, a Myrmidon gains the greater weapon focus feat with their chosen weapon type, even if they would not normally meet the requirements for the feat.

Evasion:
At 9th level, a Myrmidon no longer takes any damage on a successful reflex save that normally reduces damage by half on a successful save. This only applies when the Myrmidon is unarmored or in light armor and unencumbered and is not holding a weapon or shield in their offhand.

Skilled Critical:
At 9th level, all increases to a Myrmidon's chosen weapon's threat range stack. At 16th level, the threat range is doubled.

Greater Weapon Specialization:
At 4th level, a Myrmidon gains the greater weapon specialization feat with their chosen weapon type, even if they would not normally meet the requirements for the feat.

Confident Critical:
At 13th level, when a Myrmidon wields their chosen weapon, the multiplier on a critical hit is increased by 1. This is increased to +2 at 15th level and +3 at 18th level

Bonus Feat:
At 13th level, a Myrmidon gains a bonus feat. This feat is selected from the same list as bonus fighter feats, and the myrmidon must meet the prerequistes for the feat.

Improved Evasion:
At 17th level, a Myrmidon takes half damage on a failed reflex save that normally reduces damage by half on a successful save. This only applies when the Myrmidon is unarmored and unencumbered and is not holding a weapon or shield in their offhand.

Fortuna
2009-11-27, 03:31 AM
Again, you have the problem with no capstone to speak of, and even harder with this incarnation. Tell me why I should take level 20 of this class? I can happily go to 18, and then take any other full BAB class that I please (even fighter looks attractive compared to that) for two levels.

absolmorph
2009-11-27, 03:34 AM
Again, you have the problem with no capstone to speak of, and even harder with this incarnation. Tell me why I should take level 20 of this class? I can happily go to 18, and then take any other full BAB class that I please (even fighter looks attractive compared to that) for two levels.
What would you suggest for a capstone?
It's really getting to the point where I'm kind of giggling at how much damage it does (240 on a full attack without my change to Graceful Blade, rolling minimum damage and with a +5 keen rapier, with all the increases to critical hits).

SouthpawHare
2009-11-27, 04:11 AM
Thanks for your responses, everyone. Let me comment and clarify on some matters.

The main reasoning behind Graceful Edge is so that it becomes compatible for abilities such as Weapon Finesse, allowing the use of dexterity on one-handed weapons. I did not actually include weapon finesse in their lineup, since they already have a ton of bonus feats, but I can if necessary. This is particularly useful for bastard swords/katanas, since you can turn them from a two-handed weapon into a one-handed weapon and then all the way down to a light weapon, swinging it gracefully in one hand. I also left out exotic weapon proficiency (bastard sword) since I felt it might be a little cheap, and since the player needs things to spend their own regular character-level feats on. I would like to get opinions on whether or not to include these feats and/or not include others.

The falchion was meant to be on the least with the greatsword. It merely seemed reasonable that a master of swords would learn all of them even if they couldn't use every one optimally. Additionally, feats like Monkey-grip could make a greatsword-wielding Myrmidon feasible.

The use of light armor is reasonable. I originally chose no armor as Myrmidons on the Fire Emblem games are never shown to be wearing any, generally just robes or regular clothing. However, the game exaggerates many things (at the other end of the spectrum, the armor knights wear super-ultra-heavy armor that is well beyond the scope of D&D), so I can see kicking it up a little.

You have all given me many possibilities to consider in regard to additional special powers. The most likely choices are ones revolving around manipulating and expanding critical hits, which is the trademark of Myrmidons and the expected result from their dedication to the blade. The ideal of a double-attack power somewhat similar to a limited haste ability is possible as well.

Thanks for all your help so far. I will be revising shortly. Until then, keep the ideas coming! =)

Edit: Update is up! For all of you who commented before, please take a look at the new version. Hopefully it is an improvement, and it is largely thanks to your assistance and feedback.

Khaeta
2009-11-27, 10:20 AM
Hmm...
If you use the vulnerability sense at 13th level in conjunction with skilled critical, you get a x1 modifier...
Not sure what the best way would be to fix it though.

Merk
2009-11-27, 10:44 AM
What if you stole some ideas from Dungeonscape's Factotum class? I think the idea of inspiration points could work well here. Myrmidons could then use said points for some of the following things:

- Confirming criticals, more likely criticals, or more powerful criticals
- Cunning surge
- Haste
- Celerity
- Extra movement speed
- Time Stands Still

I also think having a flurry ability (as a monk) would suit them well, and maybe have an ability that lets them act as if they were two-weapon fighting even though they're using only one weapon (so they get an extra attack, but all attacks are at -2).

Hiest, monkey
2009-11-27, 12:20 PM
Note: spoiler tags hide mathmatical justification. Full proofs are not included. It is entirely possible that I made an error, or ommitted something, so ignore any illogical math. More or less complete explanation of a character's "damage per round", factoring in hit chance, is linked to in my signature.

Improving critical range is a limited bonus. Sure, it makes you attain your threat range more often, but you still need to hit on the threat to deal more damage, and your chances of doing that are equal to your chances of hitting normally. This character needs to be hitting on crits more often than the average character.

I would suggest that the +1 you are adding to their threat range (with "Confident Critical") you should also add to their attack roll to see if they hit on their threat.
This will give an estimated... 10% increase in successful critcals per point of "confident critical", rather than the 5% you give them without this boost.
(The threat range increase by 5%. +5% is the same as *1.05. The chance to succeed on a crit also increases by 5%. 1.05*1.05 = 1.1025, or a +10.25% increase)

This further increases to (assuming a Dex bonus of +2, which is about average) a total 32% boost in average damage per round thanks to your "Agile Strike" ability. Each additional point of Dex bonus increases DPR by a further ~6%, while the converse is true for a character with less Dex bonus.

Comperably:
A barbarian who rages adds about +27% to their total DPR for the duration of the rage, while your guy adds +32% all the time (assuming my modification). Be aware, though, that your guy has less HP, comperable AC to a raging Barbarian, and probably less strength. Barbarians, in addition, usually deal more base damage, so +27% is going to be about equal to your +32%. I am not comparing your build to fighters because then I would have to factor in the ludicrous amount of permutations frovided by bonus feats and their prerequisites

Another nit-pick: you give them tumble as a class skill, evasion as a bonus ability, but you neglect uncanny dodge? For a character with so few hit points, that uses light armor, avoiding damage is a priority, so uncanny dodge is an essential.

EDIT:
I also think having a flurry ability (as a monk) would suit them well, and maybe have an ability that lets them act as if they were two-weapon fighting even though they're using only one weapon (so they get an extra attack, but all attacks are at -2).

If you do this, then you might not have to implement my unorthodox method of balance. There are fewer chances for error with a tested rule.

Temotei
2009-11-27, 02:57 PM
Myrmidons are agile swordfighters that value skill, specifically that of the blade, over all else. All myrmidons follow the path of seeking true mastery over swords, and fight with a single one-handed sword, placing their faith in only their weapon and their skill, and shunning protection from heavy armor and shields. Though they are not as tough or well-defended as fighters nor as stealthy or skilled as rogues, their emphasis on speed and pure skill as applied directly to combat can make them a fearful foe to face on the field of battle.

Since they're proficient in two-handed weapons, you'll have to say something like "and fight exceptionally well with a single one-handed sword..."

Skills (4 + Int modifier per level, x4 at 1st level): Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Intimidate, Jump, Profession, Sense Motive, Swim, Tumble

This should be: "The myrmidon’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex)." I also recommend adding Diplomacy (Cha), maybe Disguise (Cha), and maybe Escape Artist (Dex). After the class skills, there should be, right under it, skill points at 1st level, and skill points at every level after 1st, as in the Player's Handbook.

Weapon Prof: Dagger, Short sword, longsword, rapier, scimitar, kukri, greatsword, falchion, bastard sword
Armor Prof: Light
Shield Prof: None

This section should be: "Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A myrmidon is proficient with the dagger, short sword, longsword, rapier, scimitar, kukri, greatsword, falchion, and bastard sword. Myrmidons are proficient with light armor, but not shields."

Alignment: Any. Myrmidons tend more towards being lawful due to their strict, self-imposed guidelines. However, chaotic myrmidons are possible, and tend to be easy-going wanderers that travel where ever adventure can be found.

Just bold "alignment," and make "where ever" one word.

Weapon Specialty (Ex):
A 1st level Myrmidon chooses a type of sword that they are proficient in that they will dedicate themselves to the mastery of. The Myrmidon chooses one of the following: Short sword, longsword, rapier, scimitar, bastard sword. The Myrmidon may choose a second weapon at 14th level, and a third weapon at 20th. All of the benefits granted to these weapons by other abilities of the Myrmidon are granted retroactively when new weapons are chosen.

Weapon specialty should be bold. Myrmidon shouldn't be capitalized in the middle of a sentence. Why isn't the dagger a choice here? It's technically a one-handed weapon--just a really light one.

Combat Style (Ex):
At various levels, the Myrmidon gains the benefits of bonus feats. If a feat specifies a specific weapon type, the Myrmidon counts as having the feat for each of the weapon types they have chosen for Weapon Specialty. The benefits of feats marked with an asterisk (*) only apply when the Myrmidon is wearing light or no armor, is unencumbered and is not holding a weapon or shield in their offhand.
The feats are: Weapon Finesse* at 1st level, Weapon Focus at 2nd level, Graceful Edge* at 3rd level, Weapon Specialization at 4th level, Greater Weapon Focus at 7th level, and Greater Weapon Specialization at 10th level. The Myrmidon counts as having these feats even if they do not meet the normal prerequistes for them.

Bold combat style. Don't capitalize myrmidon in the middle of a sentence. Don't capitalize ability names in the middle of a sentence, unless they're feats. Prerequisites. You should also specify what the Graceful Edge feat is. I've not heard of it before, except in an above post. Also, "offhand" should be two words, as "off hand."

Agile Strike (Ex):
At 4th level, a Myrmidon gains the ability to add their dexterity bonus (if any) to all damage rolls. Creatures that are immune to extra damage from critical hits or sneak attack are also immune to the extra damage from this ability.

Don't capitalize myrmidon in the middle of a sentence. Bold agile strike.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex):
At 5th level, a Myrmidon gains the ability to retain their Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. They still lose their Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.
If the Myrmidon already has uncanny dodge from a different class, they automatically gain improved uncanny dodge instead.

Bold uncanny dodge, and don't capitalize myrmidon in the middle of a sentence.

Fast Movement (Ex):
At 6th level, a Myrmidon's base movement speed increases by +10 feet. This only applies when the Myrmidon is wearing light or no armor, is unencumbered and is not holding a weapon or shield in their offhand.

Bold fast movement. Don't capitalize myrmidon in the middle of a sentence.

Evasion (Ex):
At 9th level, a Myrmidon no longer takes any damage on a successful reflex save that normally reduces damage by half on a successful save. This only applies when the Myrmidon is wearing light or no armor, is unencumbered and is not holding a weapon or shield in their offhand.

Bold evasion. Don't capitalize myrmidon in the middle of a sentence. Capitalize Reflex if it refers to the saving throw. Off hand.

Confident Critical (Ex):
At 9th level, the critical range for all of the Myrmidon's weapons increase by +1. This increases to +2 at 14th level and +3 at 19th level. This benefit stacks with other abilities that increase the critical range of a weapon (however, certain effects do not necessarily stack with each other). This only applies when the Myrmidon is wearing light or no armor, is unencumbered and is not holding a weapon or shield in their offhand.

Bold confident critical. Don't capitalize myrmidon in the middle of a sentence. The ability itself, I think, should have something that increases the chance to hit with the critical as well, like an attack bonus to confirm equal to the bonus provided to threat range. Off hand.

Skilled Critical (Ex):
At 12th level, when a Myrmidon wields their chosen weapon, the multiplier on a critical hit is increased by 1. This is increased to +2 at 15th level and +3 at 18th level. This only applies when the Myrmidon is wearing light or no armor, is unencumbered and is not holding a weapon or shield in their offhand.

Bold skilled critical. Don't capitalize myrmidon in the middle of a sentence. Off hand.

Vulnerability Sense (Ex):
At 13th level, a Myrmidon becomes able to deal critical damage to creatures that are normally unaffected by them. If the Myrmidon rolls a critical hit on a target that is normally immune to critical hits, the attack is still considered a critical hit and the critical multiplier of the weapon is considered to be 2 less for the purposes of the attack. Additionally, the effects of the Agile Strike ability now effect creatures that are normally immune to critical hits. These benefits only apply when the Myrmidon is wearing light or no armor, is unencumbered and is not holding a weapon or shield in their offhand.

Bold vulnerability sense. Don't capitalize myrmidon in the middle of a sentence. Off hand. Don't capitalize ability names in the middle of a sentence, unless they're feats. I recommend changing this to be "...critical multiplier of the weapon is considered to be 2 less (minimum x2) for the purposes of the attack..."

Improved Evasion (Ex):
At 17th level, a Myrmidon takes half damage on a failed reflex save that normally reduces damage by half on a successful save. This only applies when the Myrmidon is unarmored and unencumbered and is not holding a weapon or shield in their offhand.

Bold improved evasion. Don't capitalize myrmidon in the middle of a sentence. Capitalize Reflex if it refers to the saving throw. Off hand.

Trueblade (Ex):
At 20th level, a Myrmidon becomes so capable in their ability to deal critical hits that they can all but guarentee them against vulnerable targets. Once per day, a Myrmidon can choose for any successful attack roll to be considered as a critical hit.

Bold trueblade. Don't capitalize myrmidon in the middle of a sentence. Guarantee. Also, this fails as a capstone. Make it either a once per encounter ability, or make it 3 + Dex modifier, or something like that. I'd say 1/encounter makes more sense, though, so the myrmidon can't just use all of the critical hits on the BBEG and finish them in a round with the help of the rogue who happens to be flanking.

Rithaniel
2009-11-27, 05:30 PM
Dangit, I leave for Thanksgiving, and I return an I can't finish my critique cause it's different. :smallannoyed:

Oh well, I got opinions on the updated version at least. But, first things first, you missed the detail of their HD in the new version (which, honestly, if it's still d8, you've pained me). Now then, getting started:

First level, you now start with a bastard sword (good for you, actually a halfway decent weapon) that you can finesse. You have low-average AC due to the light armor prof., and the dex focus of the class, so, a little less glass cannon-y, but, you are still a glass cannon, now with the focus taken away from str, so your damage is suffering, making you a glass water gun :smallannoyed:

Second level, you get +1 to hit.... how fun.

Third level, you now can swing that bastard sword in a grapple, and cut your way out of the remoraz throat with reasonable competencey, or, you would have reasonable competencey if your damage didn't suck so much.

Fourth level, you get your Dex+2 to damage, now, there we go, at this level we're talking ~23 Dex, so you now have +11 damage to your bastard sword swing, which, with a single feat, gives you 2d8+11 damage. This would be good, had the barbarian not been doing 2d6+10 since level 1, with much better hp.

Fifth level, you get uncanny dodge. Now, this is a little late in comparison to other classes that get it, but, hey, now your AC is slightly improved.

Sixth level, you get +10 bls. Now, I have only one question. Why did they have to wait till sixth level to get something that the barbarian gets at level one, and wizards get, three times, at level 1? But, that's besides the point, now you can deal your subpar damage to someone a little farther away.

Seventh level, you gain another +1 to hit.... :smallannoyed:

Eighth level is dead, meaning you've gone seven levels being fragile, and looking enviously at the barbarian and all his shiney toys, and, while he gets to do his tricks more often at eighth level, you wind up with absolutely nothing.

Ninth level, well, look, you have a bigger crit threat range, and evasion. Now, these are some shiney little toys, right? Those are actually some things worth having, right? Well, why didn't you have them earlier, when you needed them? Though, regardless, lets say you've got Imp. Crit now, with your bastard sword, you are now doing about 2d8+16 damage, and critting about 25% of the time, alright, good, for early levels, bu you aren't exactly in early levels anymore, you're halfway to the point where you are expected to reconstruct reality and survive the end of time here, step it up.

Tenth level, you get an extra +2 to damage, ah, how pretty. :smallannoyed:

Eleventh level is dead.... :smallannoyed:

Twelveth level, well, looks like your bastard sword which was critting 25% of the time, is now dealing 6d8+54 damage, on those crits. Now, that'd really be something, only problem is, that it's only 25% of the time, and only then, against a fraction of the foes in the game, the rest of the time, the barbarian is outshining you across the board, with much, much better hp.

Thirteenth level, now you are reasonably competent at dealing damage when it would otherwise be impossible for you to matter, but guess what, you still are only doing any decent damage 25% of the time.

Fourteenth level, you are now doing something worthwhile 30% of the time, and may now like a second type of weapon, good job.

Fifteenth level, wizards have been casting Save or Dies for a while now, and are currently biting into those rich, world ending spells that make them gods upon the battlefield, and you are now doing 8d8+84 damage, 30% of the time. You may think 'oh, that's a good bit', but, keep in mind, that the other 70% of the time, you are dealing only 2d8+21 damage.

Sixteenth level is dead.... :smallannoyed:

Seventeenth level, you get improved evasion, which the Monk got at the same level you got it's lesser version.

Eighteenth level, you are now dealing 10d8+127 damage 30% of the time, while wizards are stopping time, 100% of the time. Also, don't forget, the other 70%, you are only dealing 2d8+25 damage.

Nineteenth level, you are somewhat competent 35% of the time, but are still a wuss 65% of the time.

Twentieth level, you now like three swords, and can be worthwhile 1/day, congratulations, you are better than a monk.

In the end, this class is awful at early levels, and it surviving at those levels seems to stretch credulity, at the very least, and then, at later levels, the class gets some shiney toys, but they are too little, too late. I have no advice for this class right yet, nothing has occured to me, but, I know it isn't good, and it seriously needs some work, some pumping up to get it on par with the rest of the world.

absolmorph
2009-11-27, 05:43 PM
Hm... I like most of the revisions, but where did Improved Critical go?
And Rithaniel does have a point, the damage seems to fall behind a lot.

SouthpawHare
2009-11-27, 05:54 PM
Rith,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I was worried that the class might still be somewhat underpowered. I will consider new ways to improve it. However, do keep in mind that comparing the class to wizards is rather unfair. In designing the class, I have been comparing the class mostly to fighter, which the class has definite advantages over. Not making the class overpowered in comparison to fighters is the most important. Everyone knows that fighters don't match up to wizards in their later levels, so such a comparison isn't quite as important.

Cute_Riolu
2009-11-27, 06:12 PM
Rith,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I was worried that the class might still be somewhat underpowered. I will consider new ways to improve it. However, do keep in mind that comparing the class to wizards is rather unfair. In designing the class, I have been comparing the class mostly to fighter, which the class has definite advantages over. Not making the class overpowered in comparison to fighters is the most important. Everyone knows that fighters don't match up to wizards in their later levels, so such a comparison isn't quite as important.

Never compare anything to fighter if you want it to be balanced. :P

Temotei
2009-11-27, 07:21 PM
For balance, I'd compare it, at the least, to the barbarian. Your class's power should be about equal to the psychic warrior or the warblade, in my opinion.

EDIT: Alternatively, look at this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1002.0). It's the class tier list.

PumpkinEater
2009-11-28, 12:14 AM
Maybe you should give them an ability that allows them to attack multiple times with a standard action?

Like...

Astra (Ex) At 6th level, a Myrmidon now makes a make a full-round attack with a standard action.

Zevox
2009-11-28, 12:45 AM
Maybe you should give them an ability that allows them to attack multiple times with a standard action?

Like...

Astra (Ex) At 6th level, a Myrmidon now makes a make a full-round attack with a standard action.
Maybe as a 20th level capstone ability. That's a pretty incredibly powerful skill you're talking about there. Perhaps a lesser version at level 10 or so that allows only two attacks rather than a full attack might work, though.

Zevox

Knaight
2009-11-28, 01:07 AM
At level 10 they only get 2 attacks on a full round attack anyways. Convenient that.

Zevox
2009-11-28, 01:15 AM
At level 10 they only get 2 attacks on a full round attack anyways. Convenient that.
Wait until 11 to give it, then. That kind of thing was why I added the "or so" in that comment.

Zevox

Rithaniel
2009-11-28, 01:57 AM
Well, Knaight, it's true that, normally, this guy is getting usually 2 attacks a round at level 10, but, with haste, and a one level dip into a class that has a flurry ability, and that guy is now getting 4 attacks a round. Also, Astra sounds very much like the highest level bonus of the Blitz feat, (from F&K).

Now, on to balanced against 'blah':

Never balance against the fighter, it's like making a ninth level spell balanced against foresight (a ninth spell that grants something a WotC varaint of the barbarian gets, at level three).

Temotei
2009-11-28, 02:02 AM
Never balance against the fighter, it's like making a ninth level spell balanced against foresight (a ninth spell that grants something a WotC varaint of the barbarian gets, at level three).

Foresight is only good in literature. See The War of the Spider Queen series for an example. I believe it's in the fifth book, used by Gromph Baenre, archmage of the drow city Menzoberranzan.

Astra would be cool as a capstone. Along with the higher critical chance and critical damage, that would be nice to have.

SouthpawHare
2009-11-28, 03:23 AM
After viewing the "tier list" and a lot of the related balance-based material, I can see where I previous flaw of logic was. I was attempting to balance the class relative to the Fighter and Monk, which the class is most similar to and could be considered a direct alternative to. I had not realized, however, just how poor those classes were really considered. I was afraid of having it surpass the fighter by too much, but it is now it is clear that it MUST if it is to be useful at all. I probably shouldn't worry too much about that from now on, since I doubt I could accidentally have the class surpass any of the "tier 1" spellcaster classes no matter what I do, if I use any amount of restraint and reason at all.

It is sad, though. I always liked fighters, and I never thought they were really "that bad".

Temotei
2009-11-28, 03:31 AM
It is sad, though. I always liked fighters, and I never thought they were really "that bad".

They're not so much bad as they are lacking in versatility. The reason they're so far down on the tier list is because they have a lack of skills, a lack of skill points, and only bonus feats for class features. I like the fighter in concept, but it's lacking in power overall. The warblade is a nice way to think of how the fighter should have been, if you have Tome of Battle.

I probably shouldn't worry too much about that from now on, since I doubt I could accidentally have the class surpass any of the "tier 1" spellcaster classes no matter what I do, if I use any amount of restraint and reason at all.

Aim for tier 3. That's where a class isn't game-breaking, but still has enough appeal mechanically to get players to take the class.

SouthpawHare
2009-11-29, 12:21 AM
Alright! Version 3 is up. I did some significant beefing up to the class, without breaking them (I think!). I took in to account all the suggestions I got, whether I used them or not, so thank you again for your feedback. Please continue to comment on these new version. All your help is greatly appreciated!

Merk
2009-11-29, 12:42 AM
I like this version much better than the previous version, and it seems well-powered up compared to the 2nd version. I wonder now, though, how well this stacks up against a well-built Factotum / Warblade. Astra works really well as a capstone.

Temotei
2009-11-29, 12:49 AM
It's so much better than before. So much better.

Blade Sense (Ex):
At 5th level, a myrmidon begins to feel an understanding with blades that they hold in their hands. At will as a standard action, they may use the effect of identify on any weapon that they hold that is of these chosen types.

Which chosen types? I know--you mean the specialty chosen from the beginning, but you need to say that.

Also, blazing strike is sweet, and astra is spelled wrong in the entry.

And 17th level is a big fat dead level. The only increase is base attack bonus. I'd like to see you fill this in. I'm trying to think of something that would fit with the flavor and abilities of this class, but right now, I'm drawing a blank.

Sequinox
2009-11-29, 01:08 AM
If you're still looking for a nice capstone, might I suggest Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Wo Dao)?

Sure, you'd need to stat the Wo Dao, but if I were the one making this class, I'd totally do it.

Finally, you're renewing my interest in an adaption of Elibe (from FE 6 and 7) into a D&D world.

EDIT: I'd suggest making the weapon really really powerful, with an amazing crit rate and magical enhancements.

SouthpawHare
2009-11-29, 01:38 AM
Temotei, my friend helped me pick out the perfect ability for level 17, the bonus feat Weapon Supremacy. It is from Player's Handbook 2, and it the next in line for the Weapon Focus/Specialization chain. It requires fighter level 18, which is consistent in my giving them all of said feats about one level early than fighters can take them. Due to its requirements, I also gave them Weapon Mastery (Slashing), which is part of the chain too.

absolmorph
2009-11-29, 01:59 AM
I like this new version very much. It seems like it should works for it's intended purpose (hit a lot, with plenty of critting) quite well.
Also, on level 16 you put "Blazing Attack (3/round)" instead of "Blazing Attack (3/encounter)". I don't think it's fair to allow them to act as if under the effects of haste three times per round :smallwink:

Temotei
2009-11-29, 02:00 AM
Temotei, my friend helped me pick out the perfect ability for level 17, the bonus feat Weapon Supremacy. It is from Player's Handbook 2, and it the next in line for the Weapon Focus/Specialization chain. It requires fighter level 18, which is consistent in my giving them all of said feats about one level early than fighters can take them. Due to its requirements, I also gave them Weapon Mastery (Slashing), which is part of the chain too.

Nice. I've seen the feat before. It's nice, but the requirements are huge, so I never got around to using it. Plus, you need to be a fighter. :smalltongue: I like it. I'll look over the class as a whole tomorrow. :smallsmile: Nice picture, by the way.

SouthpawHare
2009-11-29, 02:06 AM
Nice picture, by the way.

Thanks. I've always considered Fir (from FE6, Roy's game) to be rather representative of myrmidons. She's the "I want to be the greatest sword fighter in the world" type, and uses one of the incredibly rare Wo Dao blades.
Lyn is also kind of representative, being a main character and therefore more famous, but she is technically a "Lord" that is only based off of myrmidons.

Temotei
2009-11-29, 02:10 AM
Myrmidons...they're usually really good in Fire Emblem. Too bad the first one with Ike was on Gamecube and had only decent myrmidon(s). I just remember Mia being average, maybe slightly above. I was like...merr. :smallamused:

Joshua from FE7 on the other hand...

Admittedly, I haven't played the ones with Lyn or Fir. It just seems like once you've bought one or two Fire Emblem games, you've bought them all. I'll look them up probably.

absolmorph
2009-11-29, 02:20 AM
Temotei, Joshua is in FE8. And actually tends to be more effective later on as an Assassin (because he only gets 20 strength, which makes the decent chance of a automatic kill amazing).
Also, Lyn pales in comparison to Hector. A character who takes no damage from the opponents attacks pretty much always wins eventually.

You should probably post the effects of any feats that aren't in the PHB 1 or on d20 SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/), or a similar site, so that people know what you're talking about.

SouthpawHare
2009-11-29, 02:45 AM
Put up some flavor stuff =)

Oh, and clarified Graceful Edge too.

Khaeta
2009-11-29, 09:43 AM
Temotei, Joshua is in FE8. And actually tends to be more effective later on as an Assassin (because he only gets 20 strength, which makes the decent chance of a automatic kill amazing).
Also, Lyn pales in comparison to Hector. A character who takes no damage from the opponents attacks pretty much always wins eventually.

Hmm...
I like to make him a swordsmaster, just because pushing his crit rate up to 70+ with the right weapons and support is hilarious...

Nice update, I may actually use this class. I like the idea behind it and tend to like running glass-cannony characters myself...

Temotei
2009-11-29, 01:29 PM
Swordsman is my favorite with Joshua too. Sorry about the mix-up on games. :smallbiggrin: I only have two of them, so I tend to overlook the numbers. Anyways, I like seven better than eight. The number, I mean. And yeah, Hector is the guy I was thinking of that was unbeatable. :smallcool: Just couldn't come up with a name.

You should probably post the effects of any feats that aren't in the PHB 1 or on d20 SRD, or a similar site, so that people know what you're talking about.

It's not OGC.

absolmorph
2009-11-29, 03:42 PM
Swordsman is my favorite with Joshua too. Sorry about the mix-up on games. :smallbiggrin: I only have two of them, so I tend to overlook the numbers. Anyways, I like seven better than eight. The number, I mean. And yeah, Hector is the guy I was thinking of that was unbeatable. :smallcool: Just couldn't come up with a name.

It's not OGC.
That's fine, I just figured I'd clarify which game. I wish you could play with Hector in FE8... I would've maxed his stats out, rather than maxing out my Ephraim's stats >,>

I suppose that's true.
Would a "+x to X" be okay? Because I don't feel like find a way to check it out.

Lyesmith
2009-11-30, 03:56 PM
I'd discussed statting up the Myrmidon / Swordmaster with a freind before, the capstone we came up with would probably be a more upgraded version of Astrum, possibly even ripped straight from PoR - making 5 attacks in one round, all at half damage.

The Wo Dao and Killing Edge could be specialist weapons, Myrmidon only with lowered critical ratings that could also be enchanted or at the least stack with feats. The figures initially played around with were 16-20 for the Edge, and 14 for the Wo Dao.

That said, I've got no idea if this would be fully balanced or not, considering everything I know about DnD is from browsing the Gaming forums here on the playground.

Dusk Eclipse
2009-12-01, 12:44 PM
I need to give this class a try

Angel of Nessus
2009-12-06, 11:27 PM
Although I love the concept, I must protest at the Combat Style feature. With that many powerful feats coming in so fast, this guy leaves other melees in the dust.

Cute_Riolu
2009-12-07, 02:19 AM
Although I love the concept, I must protest at the Combat Style feature. With that many powerful feats coming in so fast, this guy leaves other melees in the dust.

As it well should. :P

Temotei
2009-12-07, 02:37 AM

Not the ToB classes.

imp_fireball
2009-12-07, 05:23 PM
Haven't look at it yet, but I'd consider a name change: the original Myrmidons (those lead by Achilles) were sword and shield (or, more frequently, spear and shield) fighters, not the swashbuckling sort you describe here. They were also well armored...

Then again, I'm just picky about this, being a Classics major. I take my Illiad seriously. :smalltongue:

Call it the Myrmidon Lite then.

Not the ToB classes.

Or decent melee builds for that matter.

Yeah, that's right, a fighter can probably compete with this. And being so low tier as they are, that's saying something.

Twilightwyrm
2010-02-15, 02:32 AM
Alright, I have a few main criticisms here: first, the fact that you only give them proficiency with certain martial weapons tends to limit their ability to take prestige classes, and having proficiency with those others weapons doesn't do that much to help them since all their bonus feats rely on them using swords anyways. Second, their AC does not end up very high. In the same manner as a swordsage, I don't think giving them light armor proficiency is terribly unbalanced or uncharacteristic when coupled with a Wis bonus to AC. Remember, swordmasters later in the game were good for dodging as well as criting enemies. Unfortunately at higher levels it becomes much easier for enemies to hit you, and simple light armor proficiency does not make up for this. I would suggest either adding a Swashbuckler like dodge bonus, or the Monk's Wis bonus in addition, even if it is w/o the actual bonus progression like a swordsage is. Finally, this is just me, but I would suggest adding sense motive to their class skills. Even if they do not have access to bluff, and therefore will likely not be doing much feinting themselves, they should at least have a better ability than most to detect feints and thus avoid them, seeing as how that would be central to their style of combat.
Other than this, you did a good job. You seem to have accurately captured their penchant for using critical hits to deal lots of damage and their relative frailty in comparison to other warriors. Overall, good job.

KainStormhold
2010-05-14, 02:18 PM
I created my own variation on this here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152473), its not much different but comes from some play testing.

dgnslyr
2010-05-14, 08:14 PM
Yes! A myrmidon class!
I practically had to get a clean pair of underwear after seeing it. But enough about my fangasms, onto the class.

I love seeing myrmidons statted out, and the class features all look nice. Still, going by FE, myrmidons had a TON of evade, even if mostly from having a high speed stat. More AC never hurts, maybe adding the wisdom modifier, like a Swordsage? The only thing I'm worried about is MAD, though. Agile Strike is what gives the myrmidon its firepower; giving it at level three leaves it vulnerable for the first two levels. The crit bonuses seem a bit late, but maybe it's just me, and myrmidons in FE don't get a crit bonus until they promote, so I see the justification.
It's a great looking class, and I like what I see.
Nice avatar, too. Roy may be the worst lord statistically, but his "Blazing Sword" definitely gets the ladies!