PDA

View Full Version : New Spell "Affiliate" (PEACH)

Cyanic
2009-11-26, 12:06 PM
Affiliate

Arcane spell (Illusion) (mind affecting)
Wizard Lvl 4, Illusionist 3, Bard 3
Casting Time 10 minutes
V, S, Focus (detailed below), XP
SR yes
Will save negates
Duration : possibly permanent, see text
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)

Required Focus: personal item belonging to the victim; casting Affiliate, even unsuccessfully, costs the caster 200xp.

This spell creates a mental affiliation between the caster and the victim; such as the shared memories of being old army buddies or having a common mentor. This new affiliation is known to the caster as being false but the victim fully believes it is real, including past events the two have done together in all relevant detail. Having an affiliation moves the victims reaction to friendly for all dealings with the caster. The caster can choose the relevant details of the Affiliation history as they see fit, but outlandish histories give a +4 bonus on the will save at the DM's discression. Once in place, these false memories cannot be dispelled by any means short of wish/miracle.

If the victim makes the initial will save, there is no noticable effect to him. However during the casting, the victim will have a mild illusion aura that would register to Detect Magic or similar.

When the Affiliation memories are first interacted upon the victim receives another will save, if this save fails the memory becomes permanent, if they pass this new will save the false memories will fade out in 1d6+1 days. When the memories fade out the victim will vaguely remember the false memories but realise they must have been mistaken for some reason.

Peach...

Lubirio
2009-11-26, 12:30 PM
I think it's a good spell, and has a nice twist to it, however:

Is it subject to dispell magic or any form?
The range is a little high, maybe instead of long range, extreme range (800ft +80ft/level)?

Other than that, you could as a "Lesser" option make the xp cost 100xp, the casting time 1 minute, and duration 1 year/level?

DracoDei
2009-11-26, 12:36 PM
That would be effectively the same spell for most campaigns, just cheaper.

Cyanic
2009-11-26, 12:38 PM
Is it subject to dispell magic or any form?

I dunno, think it should be ? I was kind of thinking once it implants the memory it shouldn't be dispelable, but break enchantment maybe ?(probably will not edit again until tomorrow, its turkey time)

DracoDei
2009-11-26, 12:43 PM
Also, this is one of the two usual uses for Modify Memory and that only puts in 5 minutes worth. For that reason, should probably be at least 2 spell levels higher than that.

deuxhero
2009-11-26, 02:30 PM
Shouldn't this be an enchantment?

Mulletmanalive
2009-11-26, 04:00 PM
Shouldn't this be an enchantment?

The effect its is shaped by the caster, ergo it's Phantasmal Illusion. An Enchantment spell would create an emotion in the target along with the feeling that they'd forgotten something and let them make it up themselves. More effective but more likely that you'll get details wrong, allowing them additional saves.

OP: I'd agree that this is probably a 6th or 7th level spell, maybe only 5 for Bards if it's permanent. At it's current level, it should have a duration and be more likely to find holes rather than being infallible after implantation.

That said, shared happy memories [well one shared happy memory at least] is significantly less likely to be as effective as a Charm Person spell, which is what this does. I dunno.

Cyanic
2009-11-27, 10:15 AM
Gonna try and nerf it down to a lvl 4, editing in some duration and hole clauses...

Edited to add shorter range, bard casting level, and new duration aspect.

Cyanic
2009-11-27, 10:34 AM
Took a hard look at charm person, and looking at this version vs that

Mine:

Longer duration by far /w chance of permanency
Longer Range
Not Dispellable

CP:

Much faster casting time
No XP or specific focus required

You all think I could get away with bumping the reaction to Helpful ?