PDA

View Full Version : making new spells

awa
2009-11-26, 03:35 PM
The srd mentions players modifying existing spells or making new ones but it doesn't go into any details about the process is it in another book? In the paper version of the book? Am i just imagining things and their is no way for a player to make new spells by raw (not including epic).

Im not interested in home brew rules just whats in the books.

Anonymouswizard
2009-11-26, 03:49 PM
DMG, chapter 2 I believe (not sure of the page). It is very vague though.

Edwin
2009-11-26, 03:56 PM
The srd mentions players modifying existing spells or making new ones but it doesn't go into any details about the process is it in another book? In the paper version of the book? Am i just imagining things and their is no way for a player to make new spells by raw (not including epic).

Im not interested in home brew rules just whats in the books.

In reality, spells are just homebrew.

Scroll down a bit and this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313) thread has a lot of useful info.

bosssmiley
2009-11-27, 09:48 AM
As Edwin says, spells are generally just homebrew. Consult your DM on research costs and the like...

I know some DMs have simple rules - largely based off computer prototyping paradigms - for prototype spells misfiring or going off to limited effect until refined ("Hey, if you want to experiment in a combat situation instead of casting a rote spell...").

ghashxx
2009-11-27, 12:20 PM
DM's don't let other DM"s let their players make up their own spells. The entire process is so ridiculously complicated if you're concerned about balance at all that it's really just not worth the trouble to make up an entirely new spell. Modifying existing spells is another thing entirely, such as instead of having a fire damaging fireball having an electricity one.

sonofzeal
2009-11-27, 12:38 PM
DM's don't let other DM"s let their players make up their own spells. The entire process is so ridiculously complicated if you're concerned about balance at all that it's really just not worth the trouble to make up an entirely new spell. Modifying existing spells is another thing entirely, such as instead of having a fire damaging fireball having an electricity one.
It's called "Energy Substitution". =P

ghashxx
2009-11-27, 02:54 PM
It's called "Energy Substitution". =P

There is the metamagic for that, but I was actually learning a version of fireball that used electricity. So I couldn't cast a normal fireball, only the electricity kind.