PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Stat Up The Doctor

jeek
2009-11-26, 09:06 PM
I'm thinking Factotum with a bit of Cloistered Cleric... but I've only seen the series starting from the point where Eccleston was the Doctor.

Thurbane
2009-11-26, 09:08 PM
Back in the John Pertwee days, he did use Venusian Kung Fu, so maybe some Monk levels! :smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

...but seriously, I think I'd go staright Factotum.

industrious
2009-11-26, 09:12 PM
At least 30 INT. Chaotic Good alignment. He's also got a template(Time's Champion).

You know, I think you actually couldn't quite stat up the Doctor. He changes quite a bit between regenerations; you'd need 13(10 right now) sheets. If One were to meet Ten, I shudder to think what the old codger would think of himself. If Seven were to meet Two, however...

And I'm all for straight factotum as well. His stats would keep changing, though. For example, Six has a low Charisma, while Seven definitely has the highest Int.

Edge
2009-11-26, 09:14 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4673929) should be thrown in somewhere.

And and echo to calls of Factotum, but throw some artificer in there as well.

industrious
2009-11-26, 09:16 PM
If anything, he's got the Scientific Improvisation ability from d20 Modern. The Doctor isn't a magician. Even though he was Merlin in a past(future?) incarnation.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-26, 09:18 PM
The Doctor, not Doctor Who. Doctor Who is the series, The Doctor is the main character. [/nitpick]

Anyway, are you doing this just our of curiosity, or do you plan on using the stats?

If you plan on using him, then that might keep some of the broken stuff from being suggested; it's generally a well-agreed upon rule that you can make Pun-Pun as good as you want, but don't play him in an actual campaign.

jeek
2009-11-26, 09:21 PM
The Doctor, not Doctor Who. Doctor Who is the series, The Doctor is the main character. [/nitpick]

Fixed.

Anyway, are you doing this just our of curiosity, or do you plan on using the stats?

Curiosity.

drengnikrafe
2009-11-27, 01:50 AM
I thought The Doctor was a DMPC with a level in Bard (yay Knowledge: Plot) with a character sheet that was never actually shown to the PCs.

Fortuna
2009-11-27, 01:52 AM
An interesting idea. I would love ot have the stats to use, not just out of curiosity. How close do we reckon we can get using the SRD and homebrew?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-27, 01:52 AM
Bard20//Factotum20//Rogue10/Chameleon10

The Doctor gestalts three classes. He is just that awesome.

BobVosh
2009-11-27, 02:06 AM
Bard20//Factotum20//Rogue10/Chameleon10

The Doctor gestalts three classes. He is just that awesome.

Hmm. Not seeing inspire, or sneak attack. However chameleon and factotum definitely fits. Artificer seems accurate as well.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-27, 02:09 AM
Feat rogue. Traded sneak attack for feats.

kpenguin
2009-11-27, 02:16 AM
At least 30 INT.

Seems like a bit overkill. The Doctor is amazingly intelligent, but he's not Reed Richards.

His Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma seem like they'd be in the twenties, fluctuating depending on which one we're talking about.

Ecalsneerg
2009-11-27, 03:11 AM
Seems like a bit overkill. The Doctor is amazingly intelligent, but he's not Reed Richards.

That's probably vice versa. Richards is no Doctor.

Fortuna
2009-11-27, 03:46 AM
Scrolling down the thread a bit, I notice that an attempt was made. Loremaster was suggested, but this has the problem of needing spellcasting. This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71705) was also suggested, but this needs an infusion-using class. Perhaps a Factotum with some sort of homebrewed non-casting Loremaster? And incidentally, I would give him a level or two in something psionic, although I can't think what.

Thurbane
2009-11-27, 08:20 AM
Factotum can qualify for Paragnostic Apostle, which gets Lore...

bosssmiley
2009-11-27, 09:34 AM
This came up a few weeks ago.

Motormouth who talks the enemy to death, has knowledge as the plot requires, obeys the tenets of narrative causality, and few-to-no combat skills (Pertwee excepted).

The Doctor = bard.
Companion = cohort with NPC class.
Captain Jack = fighter with the Immortal and Omnisexual templates. :smallwink:

Torchwood = a punch of ugly, pugnacious, loquacious, ineffective hill goblins who spend all their time rutting and gurning at one another as they fail life forever.

@v: Ye kna nowt! (http://www.thedoctorsays.co.uk/thedoctorsings/index.htm) :smallcool:

industrious
2009-11-27, 09:55 AM
The Doctor is not a bard. He rarely sings, and while some of his incarnations might play various instruments, his feedback is rarely positive about them.

And I'm still arguing 30 INT minimum. The Doctor single-handedly keeps his TARDIS (mostly) working, and can invent high-tech devices out of whatever he can find. And don't tell me that Seven isn't as smart as Reed Richards.

shadow_archmagi
2009-11-27, 10:06 AM
The Doctor is not a bard. He rarely sings, and while some of his incarnations might play various instruments, his feedback is rarely positive about them.

He does give occasionally speeches to inspire people though. Seems like once an episode he at least manages "LISTEN PEOPLE IF WE WANT TO LIVE WE NEED TO WORK TOGETHER" and from then on the NPC's get a bonus to saves against fear

BRC
2009-11-27, 10:07 AM
He does give occasionally speeches to inspire people though. Seems like once an episode he at least manages "LISTEN PEOPLE IF WE WANT TO LIVE WE NEED TO WORK TOGETHER" and from then on the NPC's get a bonus to saves against fear

High level factotum using Inspired Brilliance to simulate a bard Class Feature.

Dixieboy
2009-11-27, 10:18 AM
1:Everything amazing the doctor does seem to be sudden bursts of brilliance, which is classic factotum.

2:Cloistered cleric makes no thematic sense, and if i remember correctly no doctor has ever used divine magic.

3: The roguish things the doctor(s? can you use plural, i 'unno how it works with that dude) do are better simulated by factotum.

4: I'm on the "Below 30 int" team.

Just 4 things i wanted to say, though i know very little of doctor who, seeing as it's basically nonexistant in my part of the world.

industrious
2009-11-27, 10:48 AM
That being said, I think we can agree on some things, at least about the current incarnation of the Doctor:

STR 11- he doesn't show any real feats of physical strength, but isn't especially weak

DEX >12- He's pretty nimble

He has the "Run" feat, or a base speed >30 feet.

Sir_Elderberry
2009-11-27, 11:23 AM
He's got to have a high diplomacy, considering how often he's able to walk into military bases, etc, and be able to be instantly in charge of anything.

("Midnight" was a string of natural 1's)

Mooch
2009-11-27, 01:19 PM
Or the psychic paper gives a +30 modifier to diplomacy and bluff. Also he either needs a few bags of holding stuffed with trinkets or a robe of many things (but in the shape of a coat).

As for states I would agree with industrious for str and dex, as for con I would say around 12 as well but he needs Regeneration(Ex)

Sliver
2009-11-27, 01:43 PM
He's got to have a high diplomacy, considering how often he's able to walk into military bases, etc, and be able to be instantly in charge of anything.

("Midnight" was a string of natural 1's)

Wasn't that due to his special item of constant Glibness? Nat 1 aren't a sure failure for skills too..

ex cathedra
2009-11-27, 02:00 PM
Factotum, perhaps with levels of Jaunter. There are time travel shenanigans in psionics, but they'd be hard to adequately integrate. Time Mantle ardent could perhaps do it.

Sir_Elderberry
2009-11-27, 02:50 PM
Wasn't that due to his special item of constant Glibness? Nat 1 aren't a sure failure for skills too..

Sometimes it's psychic paper, yeah, but in others--like the newest, Waters of Mars--the psychic paper is nowhere to be seen and he still manages to earn a surprising amount of trust very quickly.

And I can only assume that the Doctor plays with critical skill failures.

The Manly Man
2009-11-27, 03:25 PM
Sometimes it's psychic paper, yeah, but in others--like the newest, Waters of Mars--the psychic paper is nowhere to be seen and he still manages to earn a surprising amount of trust very quickly.

And I can only assume that the Doctor plays with critical skill failures.

The Doctor has Bluff coming out of his Gallifreyan wazoo. However not even that can help you when the DM is piling on circumstance modifier after circumstance modifier after circumstance modifier.

Sir_Elderberry
2009-11-27, 04:12 PM
Yeah, but...Waters of Mars spoilers.
In Waters of Mars, they start out with "who are you? We're supposed to be the only humans on this planet. We're going to all point our guns at you." and proceed from there to "Soon after you showed up, people started turning into water-zombie-things because of some mysterious Martian plague. I trust you." Circumstance penalty, my ass. He had to roll above a 15.

Anyway, yeah. It's not just Bluff, because even when he isn't spouting blatant lies like "I am not an alien" or "Name's John Smith" (well, I hope that one's a lie), he's still usually able to win people over.

lord_khaine
2009-11-27, 04:39 PM
Clearly thats the result of a insane diplomacy roll.

industrious
2009-11-27, 05:56 PM
I actually don't think the Doctor, at least in his current incarnation has that high ranks in diplomacy. He is very good at making unfriendly or indifferent people like him. He isn't at making enemies into allies. Bluff, on the other hand...

Additionally, the Doctor's alignment seems to change during every regeneration. Here's my theories on what each Doctor would be.
Alignment:
1: Lawful evil/neutral
2: Chaotic neutral/good
3: Neutral Good
4: Chaotic Good
5: Neutral Good
6: Chaotic Neutral
7: Lawful Neutral
8: Neutral Good
9: Chaotic Neutral
10: Chaotic Good