PDA

View Full Version : Worst Game I've Ever Had

Another_Poet
2009-11-26, 09:34 PM
My mom turned 58 yesterday.

My dad is 62.

I brought Munchkin Bites along to Thanksgiving, hoping it would be simple enough that we could gather around the table and play for a while.

2 hours later, I can definitively say: worst headache I've ever had.

Oy.

Vitruviansquid
2009-11-26, 10:13 PM
Munchkin can be annoying vague, but it's also a lot of fun once you go online and track down all the implied rules and errata.

and yes, that's a huge "But"

KillianHawkeye
2009-11-27, 12:13 AM
Yeah, there are reasons why I don't game with my parents.

Another_Poet
2009-11-27, 11:36 AM
Munchkin can be annoying vague, but it's also a lot of fun once you go online and track down all the implied rules and errata.

Yeah, I actually love Munchkin. It was trying to explain the rules again on every turn of every round... ow.

Killer Angel
2009-11-27, 11:47 AM
My mom turned 58 yesterday.

My dad is 62.

I brought Munchkin Bites along to Thanksgiving, hoping it would be simple enough that we could gather around the table and play for a while.

2 hours later, I can definitively say: worst headache I've ever had.

Oy.

Munchkin is fun 'cause it mocks a lot of things of D&D, a lot of typical attitudes, a lot of our common players' ground. If you're not into Role playing and D&D, you lose 95% of the fun.
No surprise your parents didn't bite it...

Nai_Calus
2009-11-27, 11:31 PM
Yeah if I were for some mad reason to try to game with my parents(Well, pick two relatives that aren't both my parents, they divorced 20 years ago and neither wants anything to do with the other), I'd probably just break out a simple RPG system and try to teach them that. Less reliance on knowing anything at all about the hobby.

TheThan
2009-11-28, 12:33 AM
Wait, ambiguous rules in a munchkin game?

I find that highly amusing and quite fitting the game.

Deth Muncher
2009-11-28, 01:12 AM
This is a prime example of schadenfreude - your pain brings the Playground pleasure.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2009-11-28, 01:19 AM

Tracking down implied rules and errata is silly for munchkin especially since a significant part of the game is arguing about the rules. That's part of the fun. :smallsmile:

also one of the rules is: what is written on the card overrides the rules, so errata is almost pointless.

root9125
2009-11-28, 01:19 AM
Bah, I love Munchkin. I explained it to a dozen non-geeks at my university without issue.

BobVosh
2009-11-28, 01:39 AM
My parents have enjoyed Gloom.

*edit* I only have ever liked munchkin with people who don't game much. The more they game the worst they are to play with in munchkin, lol.

valadil
2009-11-28, 02:47 AM
I have that problem with my family too. They're non gamers. They like games that take 30 minutes or less. I like games where the explanation of the rules is longer than that.

Blokus is a decent compromise for us. The rules are simple, but figuring out tactics is still tricky enough that I'm entertained.

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-28, 02:59 AM
You think that's bad? Do a search for FATAL. :smallwink:

Anonymouswizard
2009-11-28, 03:07 AM
Isn't stated in Munchkin that the person who owns the game has the final say or something? It's deffinatelly got some strange rules for solving disputes about the rules.

Anyway, next time I play a game I will bring along my pointy wizard hat, and the sword of beheading people just like in that movie (yey, long and point less names (translation, vorpal sword)). I'll see how a vampire wizard turns out:smallamused:.

The Tygre
2009-11-28, 07:19 AM

That's it; I'm declaring a Godwin's Law on F.A.T.A.L. Obscure rules =/= tables for 50 ft. genitalia.

Ormur
2009-11-28, 10:21 AM
I just play cards and Trivial Pursuit with my parents. My older sister and her husband are more of a gamers but I'd still keep the RPGs to my friends. I think roleplaying with my relatives would be pretty embarrassing.

potatocubed
2009-11-28, 11:27 AM
I play Bohnanza and Fluxx with my family. (We're big on family games when we're all in the same house.) I just picked up Gloom, but I'm not sure my parents' sense of humour is black enough to appreciate it.

Moriato
2009-11-28, 01:31 PM

Ah yes. Many a happy Thanksgiving memory of Me, Mom, Dad, and Grandma sitting around the freshly cleared dinner table, trying to stab each other in the taint.

Totally Guy
2009-11-28, 01:51 PM
For parents... If my dad wants to play a game I suggest Carcassonne, and occasionally we'll play Puerto Rico if we feel like a challenge.

If I want to play a game with my mum we'll play Alhambra, which is like Carcassonne but you have to buy the the tiles for money cards and your "map" doesn't interfere with anybody else's map.

LibraryOgre
2009-11-28, 01:53 PM
Ah yes. Many a happy Thanksgiving memory of Me, Mom, Dad, and Grandma sitting around the freshly cleared dinner table, trying to stab each other in the taint.

With what? :smallbiggrin:

Seriously, though, if you're going with games, I find ones that aren't explicitly RPG are good options. Settlers of Catan. Apples to Apples.

Moriato
2009-11-28, 02:08 PM
Seriously, though, if you're going with games, I find ones that aren't explicitly RPG are good options. Settlers of Catan. Apples to Apples.

Agreed. Also Plague and Pestilence, Flux, Kobolds ate my baby, or Kill Dr. Lucky are all great for get-togethers, too.

kjones
2009-11-28, 03:32 PM
A really good game for people who don't consider themselves gamers is Cribbage. It's a classic, it's simple but strategically complex, and it doesn't seem "geeky", which I of course don't have a problem with but I imagine can put a lot of people off.