PDA

View Full Version : Questions about SR 4th

soulchicken
2009-11-26, 09:38 PM
I have a couple questions about Shadowrun 4th.

No 1

Double-Barrell shotgun rules?

I'd like to use a sawed-off, double-barrell shotgun, and I'd like to be able to fire off both barrells at once.

Lets say the damage was 5p, would the damage then be 10p? Or would the the damage be 5p + 5p as separate to hit rolls? And I do not see any side-by-side style shotguns or double barrell shotguns for that matter in the PHB. Does anyone have any stats for one? What about different gauges? A 10ga will hit significantly harder than a 20ga.

No 2

I play a troll that I'd like to make into a very hard-to-kill beast.

As of right now (we just started the campaign) I have 8 base body, with 1 more from superthyroid gland. I have Ti bone lacing which gives me +3 to body for damage resistance checks.

My question is:
What cyber/bio ware should I look into that will bost my actual body score up, and what would you guys recommend for making a troll really, really hard to kill by normal (physical) means?

comicshorse
2009-11-26, 09:50 PM
Well I presume from the Superthyroid you're playing a Street Samurai but a Troll Physical Adept can buy the Mystic Armour power:smallsmile:

soulchicken
2009-11-26, 10:03 PM
hmm..I see.

Yes he is a Street Sam, and he donnes (Spelling?) armored clothing, such as armored vest + armored Jacket. I'd like to replace the vest with maybe a military grade armored vest with slots to add extra metal plates or something.

Would an adept be a better way to go then Street Sam? If you need more info, I can provide it.

Thanks for your suggestion.

comicshorse
2009-11-26, 10:31 PM
Would an adept be a better way to go then Street Sam? If you need more info, I can provide it.

Er....tricky.
Okay Mystic Armour cost half a Magic Point. You can start with 6 Magic. So your Troll can start with his skin being armour 12/12 ( and yes that stacks with any armour he wears)

However before you start drolling let me outline the bad points :
(1) Your P.C. maybe pretty much immune to physical attacks but that is ALL he is. He has no cyberware, no magic, no extra initiative passes. Nothing else to make him better then any street punk you'd encounter.
(2) In fact he maybe worse than the average ganger, he's blown a lot of BP's to buy his Magic Stat to maximum and buy the Adept advantage. BP's that will be missed inyour other stats and skills
(3) He's pretty much immune to Physical Damage but that will help him not a jot against the first Mage to cast a Mana spell at him
(4) Your G.M. may object to what is a bit of a one-note character

I'd suggest checking out the Physical Adept powers in the Magic section of the book and if you decide to go that way mix the Mystic Armour with some Improved Initiative, some Sensory powers and maybe some Improved Ability. And remember you can always Initiate later on and buy some more Mystic Armour

This all depends on the concept and background you've thought of .

soulchicken
2009-11-26, 11:30 PM
I agree with being one-sided, and as nice as it would be to be physical immune, I'm with you on having the weakness to magic.

Alas, I have already made the character, and he is still weak to magic. I didn't even know about the extra init passes since this is my first SR 4th character. I will prolly eventually get some cyberware that will boost init passes, but that will have to wait on moneh.

Any ideas about possible rulings on double barrel shotguns and possible damages for different gauges?

Thanks for you input =)

RandomLunatic
2009-11-27, 12:27 AM
Well, for a double-barrel, look at the PJSS Elephant Rifle from the Core Book and use its rules. It is not a shotgun, but has the same side-by-side arrangement.

For guages, SR4 cares very little for the actual caliber of the gun. I would assume the default is 12-gauge, and considering the difference between a 9 mil and a 12ga slug is two boxes of damage, be inclined to just call 10 and 8 gauges the same, but noisier. If really pressed, I would make 10-guages heavier, with bulkier shells, and drop the AP by -1, and double the recoil penalties. 8 guage would be 8P, AP -1, double recoil, and woe betide anybody below STR 5 and BOD 5 that tries to fire one.

Larger than that, and I would just direct them to the friggin' heavy weapons section on the next page.

Tehnar
2009-11-27, 07:53 AM
Actually Shadowrun states that shotguns fire slugs (as in whole bullets) rather then little balls of lead. The explanation they give is that modern armor resists the little balls of lead too well to be of use.

What you have is flechette ammunition which gives +2 DV but also +5 AP, which kind of sucks if you are attacking someone in heavier armor as any damage he will receive will be stun, which can be gotten around.

For making your character tougher; since you have already invested in ware, I would suggest you get Orthoskin or Dermal Plating. Additionally you can improve your armor with a Full Body Form Fitting Armor and the PPE set guards. They are both from Arsenal. Together they give you +8/8, which stacks with normal armor, for only a slight increase in encumbrance, but your Body of 8 is more then enough for that.

soulchicken
2009-11-27, 03:11 PM
Technically 9 body =D

The point is still noted though, so I'll look into the extra armor.

The dermal plating and orthoskin only add extra armor right? Is there anything that boost the actual body stat outside of superthyroid?

Also, if I have Ti bone lacing and Bone Density Aug, would I add the damage for unarmed together?

IE Ti Lacing + level 4 Bode Density = (str/2) + 6?

Thanks =)

soulchicken
2009-11-27, 04:07 PM
Actually Shadowrun states that shotguns fire slugs (as in whole bullets) rather then little balls of lead. The explanation they give is that modern armor resists the little balls of lead too well to be of use.

What you have is flechette ammunition which gives +2 DV but also +5 AP, which kind of sucks if you are attacking someone in heavier armor as any damage he will receive will be stun, which can be gotten around.

Looking at the book, the values are +2 DV and +3 AP...so the victim gets 3 more dice to soak, but I get 2 more damage straight up. This is in comparison to using slugs btw.

Also looking at that elephant gun...If I fire off both barrel's, then the DV would go up by 1 more, and the recoil would go down by 1.

So using flachette and firing both barrels of the shotgun would net:
8p damage
+2 AP
-1 recoil (will that really matter with both barrel's being empty anyway?)

I might as well just go with a sawed off version of the elephant gun
(both barrels)
10p damage
-1 AP

If I did flachette with the elephant gun, would it then be:
(both barrels)
12p damage
+2 ap

Tack on some nasty ammo, and that would make for a very long cleanup of whoever got hit with it.

I guess my reasons for having a 'one-shot' weapon is that I will be using other weapons for the bulk of my fighting, but I would like a gun I can quick draw to put someone in the dirt quickly.

Tehnar
2009-11-27, 06:40 PM
I think the errata for flechette rounds gives +2DV +5AP, at least thats what the SR4A says. Theoretically you come out ahead damage wise with that; but since the effective armor increases so much you will usually be doing stun damage. Now stun damage is not bad; there are ways to ignore/resist it better then physical.

For shooting both barrels I think it means that if you shoot both barrels it is treated as one shot but with +1 higher DV. So 8P would become 9P. Also the -1 to recoil increases recoil so adding some sort of recoil compesation would be good.

So if you had a shotgun that normally has 6P and -1 AP using flechettes and firing both barrels would give you 9P(f) +4 AP, and a -1 recoil penalty.

Also bone lacing is not compatible with bone density augmentations. Though either increases your effective body when resisting damage.