PDA

View Full Version : I just rickrolled a thousand people live!

xanaphia
2009-11-27, 01:15 AM
Well, it was my school's talent quest today. I had decided to play and sing Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up.

Five of my friends decided to dress up and dance on stage with me. I didn't tell any of the organizers about them. One of them was wearing a toga and underpants. The toga fell off.

I also made everyone lose the game, and told them the spoiler about the end of the sixth Harry Potter book.

I felt quite proud. Apparently I'm going to get a call from the principal about it.

Fun.

Mystic Muse
2009-11-27, 01:18 AM
that sounds awesome.

It also sounds like you're in BIG trouble

The Extinguisher
2009-11-27, 01:36 AM
Rickrolling doesn't mean what you think it means.

Now if you had gotten on stage going to sing something, with the program or whatever being the other thing, and then sang "Never Going to Give You Up" then it would be a rickroll.

The whole point is tricking someone. Not just playing the song.

kpenguin
2009-11-27, 01:38 AM

Now if you had gotten on stage going to sing something, with the program or whatever being the other thing, and then sang "Never Going to Give You Up" then it would be a rickroll.

How about singing the first four words of the "Happy Birthday song" then breaking into "Never Gonna Give You Up"

Because that's what my friends and I did at one of my friend's birthday parties.

The Extinguisher
2009-11-27, 01:40 AM
How about singing the first four words of the "Happy Birthday song" then breaking into "Never Gonna Give You Up"

Because that's what my friends and I did at one of my friend's birthday parties.

This works. Because it's the trickery that matters.

chiasaur11
2009-11-27, 01:40 AM
I figure the whole trend peaked when the Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends float rickrolled the entire country.

Using the original Rick.

Whole thing feels a bit... done since then.

Fawkes
2009-11-27, 01:41 AM
"Quick! How many memes can we compress into a talent show prank?"

*puts on sunglasses*

"All of them."

FoE
2009-11-27, 01:42 AM
Old meme is old. Also, hasn't the sixth Harry Potter book been out for four years now?

As yet, I am unimpressed.

Knaight
2009-11-27, 01:43 AM
Reminds me of when my PE teacher tried to arrange a rick-roll during the "dance" unit, in the middle of some other song. Good times.

kpenguin
2009-11-27, 01:49 AM
I figure the whole trend peaked when the Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends float rickrolled the entire country.

Using the original Rick.

Personally, I feel an epic rickroll chance was missed with Obama's inaugural address. What he should have said in the middle of his speech was something like:

"And I know that in this time of change, some of you are worried, but I want to reassure you that I am never gonna give you up... never gonna let you down, never gonna run around... and desert you. Never gonna make you cry, never gonna say... goodbye, never tell a lie... or hurt you."

All of this is said in Obama's normal speech tone. The rest is sung.

Impeachment hearing the next morning :smalltongue:

Cobra_Ikari
2009-11-27, 02:04 AM

*puts on sunglasses*

"All of them."

<3. *grins*

Start the show with that, and you'd win it.

kpenguin
2009-11-27, 02:07 AM
<3. *grins*

Start the show with that, and you'd win it.

And be sure to borrow as many housecats as you can and hang funny captions around their necks.

Shyftir
2009-11-27, 02:13 AM
*Starts a slow clap for the OP.*

The point is not in how well he did it.
Or even how much trouble he is in.
It is in his courage to go beyond the norm;
Too take a great idea and not just nod at.
Instead to run with it, to actually do it.

Much better than the vast majority of prank ideas which never happen.

I salute you mister rick'rolled my entire high-school talent show guy.

(Gosh that whole "speech" made me feel awesome!)

loopy
2009-11-27, 02:21 AM

*puts on sunglasses*

"All of them."

YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH HHHHHHH!!!! :smallcool:

KuReshtin
2009-11-27, 04:27 AM
Personally, I feel an epic rickroll chance was missed with Obama's inaugural address. What he should have said in the middle of his speech was something like:

"And I know that in this time of change, some of you are worried, but I want to reassure you that I am never gonna give you up... never gonna let you down, never gonna run around... and desert you. Never gonna make you cry, never gonna say... goodbye, never tell a lie... or hurt you."

All of this is said in Obama's normal speech tone. The rest is sung.

That would have been EPIC!

Tirian
2009-11-27, 04:57 AM
Personally, I feel an epic rickroll chance was missed with Obama's inaugural address.

Nice, but I'd have preferred a Bel-Air to a rickroll in the inaugural address..

Felixaar
2009-11-27, 06:36 AM
You were doing pretty well right up until spoiling Half-Blood prince. That's just cruel.

Bayar
2009-11-27, 06:52 AM
You were doing pretty well right up until spoiling Half-Blood prince. That's just cruel.

Umm...the one with Dumbledore being gay ?

Gamerlord
2009-11-27, 07:18 AM
The OP is either really brave, or really, really dumb.

CONGRATS DUDE!!

SilverSheriff
2009-11-27, 07:46 AM
It's not rick-rolling if you told anyone that you were singing 'Never gonna give you up' before-hand.

I'm sorry but you just lost The Game.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-11-27, 09:47 AM
As an elegan/tg/entlemen, this is what I think of this thread.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2cntxuf.jpg

Nevrmore
2009-11-27, 10:42 AM
Cool, you performed 3 memes that, if you combined their datedness, are probably as old as you are. Good job keeping up with the winds of the zeitgeist.

Dragonrider
2009-11-27, 11:29 AM
Umm...the one with Dumbledore being gay ?

Dumbledore is never specifically gay in the books. Rowling just said that in an interview. :smalltongu;e

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-11-27, 11:40 AM
Rickrolling will not be truly finished until someone has pulled this (http://xkcd.com/351/) off.

:amused:

Moff Chumley
2009-11-27, 12:28 PM
This is true.

And guys, don't hate on the memes. Sure, they're old, but they're classic. Besides, are there really many new memes aside from the Kanye one?

Haruki-kun
2009-11-27, 12:32 PM
I'm sorry but you just lost The Game.

That one's even more dead and beaten up than Rick Rolling....<.<

Mc. Lovin'
2009-11-27, 12:37 PM
Doing some old jokes people wouldn't get and ruining the ending of a book for people doesn't sound *that* amazing to me ...

Haruki-kun
2009-11-27, 12:50 PM
This is true.

And guys, don't hate on the memes. Sure, they're old, but they're classic. Besides, are there really many new memes aside from the Kanye one?

There's always new memes, constantly, all the freakin' time. But people move on to newer stuff. This one's just remembered because it somehow found it's way outside the Internet....

EDIT:

Encyclopedia Dramatica classifies Memes in 6 groups:

Classic: Old, Time-tested classics, Numa Numa Guy and Peanut Butter Jelly Time are good example of these.

Solid: Not classic, but already made their way up to fame. Fairly Well-known around the Internet. And outside it, too. Examples: Rick Rolling, Lolcats, Mudkipz.

Chanspeak: Forum slang originating in 4chan or any "~chan" board. Examples: WHO WAS PHONE?, what is this I don't even, X Y is X (Old Meme is Old, for example).

Fleeting: Here one day, gone another. Kanye is pretty much this. It was fun in the spur of the moment, but you don't hear it much anymore, and it's been like a month. So's boxxy

Failed: Forced Memes. Seaking is one of these.

Not a meme: Milhouse.

Coidzor
2009-11-27, 12:53 PM

*puts on sunglasses*

"All of them."

I'll be expecting the write-up proposal on my desk by sunday.

Using the original Rick.

Yeah... Gotta use some more finesse after the entire country's had it done to 'em if you wanna do it in this day and age.

RandomNPC
2009-11-27, 12:58 PM
great job. You're one of the few people who actually carry out good ideas. I remember last summer I sugested we use bloodhound gangs Bad Touch as a battle cry at a daggorhir event and got numerous high fives and handshakes. Ten seconds later when they called lay on, I ready weapons and say "ok, lets go" when the entire group i was with takes a step back and says things like "no man, i'm good" or "no, it was funny but lets not" I have no respect for anyone in that group, but you get respect for actually carrying it out.

randman22222
2009-11-27, 01:31 PM
Fleeting: Here one day, gone another. Kanye is pretty much this. It was fun in the spur of the moment, but you don't hear it much anymore, and it's been like a month. So's boxxy

more, and it's been like a month. So's boxxy

So's boxxy

boxxy

I met her. We think.

Mr. Mud
2009-11-27, 01:33 PM
I met her. We think.

*cowers before the awesomeness*

Despite my distaste for 4chan, I LOVE Boxxy!

Winthur
2009-11-27, 01:38 PM
I remember me and my friends pulled this off during a chemistry presentation in Powerpoint. It finished, credits rolled, special thanks to Gregory House for medical consultation (as a joke we called ourselves "House M.D.'s Clinic" because were doing a project about salts in pharmacy), "Thanks for playing" and... Rick Roll.

We got an applause and one girl started crying and told me she hates me. :smallbiggrin:

Well played, xanaphia. :smallsmile:

Jera
2009-11-27, 02:04 PM
Pathetic, OP if you want to rick roll your school you can't sing the song yourself, it has to by Rick A. singing the song.

At my highschool we had morning announcements, no less than 14 times in my senior year(across 4 announcers, including the head librarian and the assistant principal) I rick rolled my entire school.

After a while it became a huge joke at my school, so I was able to talk about half of the cheer leaders(the ones that were also in band) into putting together a routine. So during the last Basketball pep rally of the year I switched the CD's that the cheer leaders used for their routine and after 42 seconds into the routine Rick Astley blasted at full force to the entire auditorium whilst the cheer leaders I had let into the loop started their new routine.

Something you might consider, a friend who did IT work for the school during third hour wrote a program so that at 1:37pm(aka 1337) on March 14 every printer in the school printed out the first 1000 digits of Pi.

Edit: I just uploaded the video from the pep rally above. Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edaJP3Lp0Gg)

Edit 2.0: I'm not sure how many people were in my school, my graduating class had 387 people in it, and I know my sisters(she was a freshmen when I graduated) graduating class had 472 people in it. So I think it was probably around 1300 people.

RandomNPC
2009-11-27, 03:58 PM
Something you might consider, a friend who did IT work for the school during third hour wrote a program so that at 1:37pm(aka 1337) on March 14 every printer in the school printed out the first 1000 digits of Pi.

Win (ten character limit)

kpenguin
2009-11-27, 04:05 PM
Win (ten character limit)

Indeed.:smallbiggrin:

Another_Poet
2009-11-27, 04:14 PM

I agree.

Also, spoiling a book for a bunch of people is powerful weak.

Coidzor
2009-11-27, 04:18 PM
Pathetic, OP if you want to rick roll your school you can't sing the song yourself, it has to by Rick A. singing the song.

At my highschool we had morning announcements, no less than 14 times in my senior year(across 4 announcers, including the head librarian and the assistant principal) I rick rolled my entire school.

By that time it had become a huge joke at my school, so I was able to talk about half of the cheer leaders(the ones that were also in band) into putting together a routine. So during the last Basketball pep rally of the year I switched the CD's that the cheer leaders used for their routine and after 42 seconds into the routine Rick Astley blasted at full force to the entire auditorium whilst the cheer leaders I had let into the loop started their new routine.

I will third the win for this.

Froogleyboy
2009-11-27, 04:20 PM
Dumbledore is never specifically gay in the books. Rowling just said that in an interview. :smalltongu;e

:eek: Could someone link to that?????

Deathslayer7
2009-11-27, 04:25 PM
first link on google (http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/2007/10/20/j-k-rowling-at-carnegie-hall-reveals-dumbledore-is-gay-neville-marries-hannah-abbott-and-scores-more).

first question and response.

Shyftir
2009-11-27, 04:26 PM
great job. You're one of the few people who actually carry out good ideas. I remember last summer I sugested we use bloodhound gangs Bad Touch as a battle cry at a daggorhir event and got numerous high fives and handshakes. Ten seconds later when they called lay on, I ready weapons and say "ok, lets go" when the entire group i was with takes a step back and says things like "no man, i'm good" or "no, it was funny but lets not" I have no respect for anyone in that group, but you get respect for actually carrying it out.

As much as agreeing with a dagorhir guy pains my belegrim soul... Yeah those guys who won't go ahead and do that kind of stuff with you suck. I was at an event and me and my buddies had worked out that whenever somebody shouted, "Blood for the Blood God!" we would respond with "For the Emperor!" and charge them. Guess who charged a group of 4 Hellhammer guys by himself.

Solaris
2009-11-27, 04:50 PM
As much as agreeing with a dagorhir guy pains my belegrim soul... Yeah those guys who won't go ahead and do that kind of stuff with you suck. I was at an event and me and my buddies had worked out that whenever somebody shouted, "Blood for the Blood God!" we would respond with "For the Emperor!" and charge them. Guess who charged a group of 4 Hellhammer guys by himself.

Not you, brother, for he who fights in the Name of the Emperor never fights alone!

Sneak
2009-11-27, 05:54 PM
Lay off the poor guy a bit, eh? Yeah, so he didn't execute it perfectly...but let's be honest, how many of us actually have the balls to get on stage and do something like that? Probably not too many.

Jokasti
2009-11-27, 06:07 PM
Lay off the poor guy a bit, eh? Yeah, so he didn't execute it perfectly...but let's be honest, how many of us actually have the balls to get on stage and do something like that? Probably not too many.

About 3,442,850,573:3,386,509,865 or us.
Thanks to this site (http://www.geohive.com/earth/pop_gender.aspx) for the numbers.

Haruki-kun
2009-11-27, 07:52 PM

About the same number who'd do any other song.

Not saying it was particularly bad or anything.... since I wasn't even there. It's just that I don't think of it as a Rick Roll.

Lupy
2009-11-27, 08:22 PM
^You Rickroll with what you got.

I personally highfive you, Xanaphia.

Coidzor
2009-11-27, 10:56 PM
As much as agreeing with a dagorhir guy pains my belegrim soul...

What, I don't even...

Yarram
2009-11-27, 11:13 PM
I wish sarcasm worked on the internet.

Otherwise, good job! A little cheesy but 10/10 for effort. You gotta tell us the juicy consequences too. Those are always funny.

Deth Muncher
2009-11-28, 01:04 AM
You bested me by about 200 people, but I have a similar story:

April Fools Day 2009. My senior year of highschool. For God knows why, they entrusted a nerd with the announcements, the poor saps. It went as follows:

"Gooooooooooood morning Panthers, and welcome to your morning announcements! I'd like to start with a bit of music to honor today!" Commence Rickroll.

I got, assuming all students and faculty were there, around 800 people, one of whom being my english teacher who was, at the time, writing a LitMag announcement two feet away from me at the time, and as soon as he realized what I was doing, started kicking my chair vehemently to get me to stop it. Not out of respect for school rules, but because he knew what I'd just done.

:D

EDIT: For the next two days, people came up congratulated me on my fantastic work, and I got stories of people doing the dance and/or singing along in class while it happened.

xanaphia
2009-11-29, 05:59 PM
I told the announcer that I was performing Something Normal by Someone Normal. That probably means that it was a surprise.

On the minus side, I will never be allowed to perform at school again.

(Previous performances include: an a capella performance of Too Late to Apologise in a small choir with beatboxing, Mad World by Tears for Fears at triple tempo, and Toy Food by Neil Cicierega. My head of music describes my music as "too loud and too stupid.")

On the plus side, I can now laugh at anyone who gets stage fright ever.

Solaris
2009-11-30, 03:32 AM
That reminds me. I gotta streak the gunline next time we do our field training exercise - I haven't been able to do it the last coupla field problems on account of they were at the 'freeze the giblets off' temperature ranges or Iraq. I've streaked every other field problem. It's a tradition of mine.
Y'know, that's the kind of thing you can't unsee.
Thanks for reminding me, Xan. My battle-buddies will appreciate it. Heheheh.