PDA

View Full Version : About when Belkar made out with Jenny...

Sewblon
2009-11-27, 03:10 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0611.html Did he just roll a natural twenty on his diplomacy check, or does he actually have ranks in diplomacy? Or does he have a magic item or feat that aids seduction? Because I have never met a woman who was into extremely short and violent men. Sorry if no one has any information about this, but it has been bugging me for awhile and I am bored.

Setra
2009-11-27, 03:13 AM
It was more of a grapple check at first, than any sort of diplomacy roll (at least that is what it appeared to me)

In the end maybe he's just a really good kisser? Or she's into Sexy Shoeless God's of War.

nonamearisto
2009-11-27, 03:37 AM
Probably a combination of the above... besides, it was a humorous part... maybe Jenny has a halfling fetish. Those dirty bards... :smallwink:

Katana_Geldar
2009-11-27, 03:45 AM
Well Belkar is kinda cute in a way...

FoE
2009-11-27, 03:45 AM
Because I have never met a woman who was into extremely short and violent men.

Have you known any women who were lifetime members of a Thieves Guild and spent most of their time associating with extremely violent criminals?

How about women who were into "bad boys" who literally swept them off their feet upon their first meeting?

How about women who'd rather be murdered than lock lips with some dashing warrior-type who just slaughtered a room full of opponents in a stunning display of martial prowess?

Liwen
2009-11-27, 04:47 AM
She was perhaps psychologically and physiologically suffering from sexual deprivation : aka she was horny.

And let's face it, she wasn't really in a position to say no and refuse Belkar's tactless advances. He just slaughtered a bunch of her fellow thieves.

Or maybe Belkar IS charismatic. I can't remember any specific indications of a low charisma score of his part. Anything from 14 and above, regardless of the gender, qualifies as attractive in the D&D world, so it's not too hard to believe. For clearer understanding, read further :

Unnecessarily long winded description of the effects of charisma on D&D characters, along the lines of how the devs of the game originally plot this out (it has been spoilered for those of you who didn't wished to see it and to shorten the post in appearance)

0 : People die of an heart attack when they see or hear you (dc FOR SAVE 55 negates must redo every round) In fact, nobody has lived to accurately relate the tale of just how much of an asocial misshaped noob you are.

1 : You're the most hatred and/or disfigured entity known to mankind. (Since nobody knows about people with 0 charisma) You are by the law of common sense and even some real laws in so countries of fantasy worlds forced to live alone in a cave so far away that the possibility that someone will one day cross your path is near null

2-3 : You're so ugly, pathetic or otherwise rude that people have long since learn to maintain a 50 feet radius distance between you and them in order to avoid you or any rumors of association with you in any way, would it be personal or not.

4-5 : You are an ugly distasteful tactless poor soul, yet at least people still show you the mercy of letting you enter public establishments, but don't think maing friends is going to be easy.

6-7 : The standard for most people qualified as 'ugly' and/or 'rude'. People with this charisma score will often show scars, small to moderate body asymmetries, to much weight or not enough, or on the personality side, lack off tact, rudeness, failure to maintain relationships due to extreme selfishness, lack of empathy or ability to shut the **** up when they should. Yet, they are not rejected by society and can prove to function normally, even have a few, very tolerant friends.

8-9 : While still having an handicap, most people with this charisma score have friends, a reasonable chance of initiating and maintaining relationships and overall do well in life. Yet they are still easy target to persecution due to their lack of beauty or attractive personally. But hey, most of the time those people are still fun to hang out with if you care to accept their social flaws.

10-11 : This is the standard of humanity. Those people are not ugly, rude mean or otherwise providing you a reason to not like them. Yet at the same time they aren't providing you with anything out of the ordinary. Their humor don't stand out, even if their can pull a good one from time to time. On the physical side, they aren't total hotties, but there's no shame in admitting to the general public that you find him or her attractive. After all, there's no account for taste.

12-13 : You are able to stand out in most crowds. You've got the good looks or at least the personality to match up with most people. It's natural for you to make friends and lovers. Being social is not always a breeze, but you got some assets that a lot of people don't have so easily as you to face the challenges of this important aspect of life.

14-15 : Congratulations, you are an exemplar social being! Many people will not be shy to call you 'a total hottie' or an inspiring man or woman. If you charisma is in the body, most people are jealous of your beauty, you can easily be a geek's wet dream fantasy. If you were to post a youtube video of yourself dancing in very light clothing before a web cam, go read the comments. I betcha 5 bucks someone wants to marry you. If it's more of a personality thing, you could make a fine leader in a field of your interest. People will listen to your speeches and likely to follow your advice. If you have that gift and you're also interested in politics, I would probably give my vote to you, provide your ideas are sane. Usually, if people like you don't have a girlfriend or boyfriend or even several (careful with that), is 99% likely to be your personal choice rather than a lacking ability to find a lovely match.

15-16 : If you are the physical charismatic : If I see you in the street, I will definitely blush. You are a symbol of beauty beyond doubt. People get horny seeing pictures or you on the net when you're wearing full winter clothing. When you smile, the people around you a so relived or your happiness it makes them happy too. When you're sad it tears them apart. Given a moderate level of skill in any form or modern popular sport or art (acting, baseball, singing, water polo , etc) You could be famous within days. If you are the personality type, people could cheer your name from the every corner of the Earth and claim you as a spiritual or political leader anytime you'd feel like accepting the responsibility, but don't screw it up. You remain a mortal like charismatic person, you are still not godly.

17-18 Physically : O.O, I could probably fall in love at first sight of you. You make video game fantasy character ENVY you. You're giving tips on how to look good to the princes that comes save princesses in the fairy tales and I guarantee you'll be on the first page of those web cam videos on youtube when people seek to masturbate using most common research words (kids, wait until 18 before you try it, otherwise your mom will freak (But I guess you're already doing it and figured out how to leave no clues of it, clever you are)) If it's more of a personality charisma, go fund a new religion, in 2000 years from now, you will know Jesus's pain. (He SOOO proud of what his followers have accomplish)

19+ : anything beyond 18 turns natural beauty or leadership skills into godmode. Magic the gathering would qualify you a Legendary Mythic Rare creature in a blink of an eye. Whatever is the source of your charisma score, would it be magic, divine or demonic or just a venerable age modifier, it's beyond what the lame humans of modern no fantasy Earth can achieve. It's possible a few people in our history did achieve this level of charisma. Today we must only know them has myths or gods of ancient religions. This is the end game (almost)

Special addition My DM's arch villain is a female vampire with a charisma score of 48. When he told us this during our first meeting with her this little bit of info, I simply said to my teammates : 'Guys, our characters are now lawful evil slaves.' To which the DM replied : 'I'm glad we are in understanding'

To every minmaxer out there who underestimated the power of charisma, I pity your damned souls.

Super_slash2
2009-11-27, 06:34 AM
No, I sat down once and tried to figure it out when this was posted before. The answer came to me -

She's a bard. She has the same bard charter Elan has, only modified for her personality and/or gender.

warmachine
2009-11-27, 07:23 AM
As others have pointed out, some women fall for "bad boys". Studies show that about half of women prefer sensitive, caring men whilst the other half go for rough ones. It's the instincts of sexual selection seen from the female side: caring men will help you rise the child whereas stronger men are genetically superior. A male who can kill a room full of armed people is clearly an alpha male.

Also, there is a link between sex and death. Apart from the adrenalin rush of seeing people being killed, death induce sexual instincts to repopulate the tribe. Isn't evolution just grand.

Of course, people can still choose to ignore their instincts. However, when you work in a dangerous profession in a violent city, you may as well grab some action when it arrives as you may not get any more action ever again. Soldiers are notoriously promiscuous, especially during war-time.

Nilan8888
2009-11-27, 08:18 AM
I'm guessing murder is foreplay for Belkar, and Jenny's just into that.

TriForce
2009-11-27, 01:51 PM
She was perhaps psychologically and physiologically suffering from sexual deprivation : aka she was horny.

And let's face it, she wasn't really in a position to say no and refuse Belkar's tactless advances. He just slaughtered a bunch of her fellow thieves.

Or maybe Belkar IS charismatic. I can't remember any specific indications of a low charisma score of his part. Anything from 14 and above, regardless of the gender, qualifies as attractive in the D&D world, so it's not too hard to believe. For clearer understanding, read further :

Unnecessarily long winded description of the effects of charisma on D&D characters, along the lines of how the devs of the game originally plot this out (it has been spoilered for those of you who didn't wished to see it and to shorten the post in appearance)

0 : People die of an heart attack when they see or hear you (dc FOR SAVE 55 negates must redo every round) In fact, nobody has lived to accurately relate the tale of just how much of an asocial misshaped noob you are.

1 : You're the most hatred and/or disfigured entity known to mankind. (Since nobody knows about people with 0 charisma) You are by the law of common sense and even some real laws in so countries of fantasy worlds forced to live alone in a cave so far away that the possibility that someone will one day cross your path is near null

2-3 : You're so ugly, pathetic or otherwise rude that people have long since learn to maintain a 50 feet radius distance between you and them in order to avoid you or any rumors of association with you in any way, would it be personal or not.

4-5 : You are an ugly distasteful tactless poor soul, yet at least people still show you the mercy of letting you enter public establishments, but don't think maing friends is going to be easy.

6-7 : The standard for most people qualified as 'ugly' and/or 'rude'. People with this charisma score will often show scars, small to moderate body asymmetries, to much weight or not enough, or on the personality side, lack off tact, rudeness, failure to maintain relationships due to extreme selfishness, lack of empathy or ability to shut the **** up when they should. Yet, they are not rejected by society and can prove to function normally, even have a few, very tolerant friends.

8-9 : While still having an handicap, most people with this charisma score have friends, a reasonable chance of initiating and maintaining relationships and overall do well in life. Yet they are still easy target to persecution due to their lack of beauty or attractive personally. But hey, most of the time those people are still fun to hang out with if you care to accept their social flaws.

10-11 : This is the standard of humanity. Those people are not ugly, rude mean or otherwise providing you a reason to not like them. Yet at the same time they aren't providing you with anything out of the ordinary. Their humor don't stand out, even if their can pull a good one from time to time. On the physical side, they aren't total hotties, but there's no shame in admitting to the general public that you find him or her attractive. After all, there's no account for taste.

12-13 : You are able to stand out in most crowds. You've got the good looks or at least the personality to match up with most people. It's natural for you to make friends and lovers. Being social is not always a breeze, but you got some assets that a lot of people don't have so easily as you to face the challenges of this important aspect of life.

14-15 : Congratulations, you are an exemplar social being! Many people will not be shy to call you 'a total hottie' or an inspiring man or woman. If you charisma is in the body, most people are jealous of your beauty, you can easily be a geek's wet dream fantasy. If you were to post a youtube video of yourself dancing in very light clothing before a web cam, go read the comments. I betcha 5 bucks someone wants to marry you. If it's more of a personality thing, you could make a fine leader in a field of your interest. People will listen to your speeches and likely to follow your advice. If you have that gift and you're also interested in politics, I would probably give my vote to you, provide your ideas are sane. Usually, if people like you don't have a girlfriend or boyfriend or even several (careful with that), is 99% likely to be your personal choice rather than a lacking ability to find a lovely match.

15-16 : If you are the physical charismatic : If I see you in the street, I will definitely blush. You are a symbol of beauty beyond doubt. People get horny seeing pictures or you on the net when you're wearing full winter clothing. When you smile, the people around you a so relived or your happiness it makes them happy too. When you're sad it tears them apart. Given a moderate level of skill in any form or modern popular sport or art (acting, baseball, singing, water polo , etc) You could be famous within days. If you are the personality type, people could cheer your name from the every corner of the Earth and claim you as a spiritual or political leader anytime you'd feel like accepting the responsibility, but don't screw it up. You remain a mortal like charismatic person, you are still not godly.

17-18 Physically : O.O, I could probably fall in love at first sight of you. You make video game fantasy character ENVY you. You're giving tips on how to look good to the princes that comes save princesses in the fairy tales and I guarantee you'll be on the first page of those web cam videos on youtube when people seek to masturbate using most common research words (kids, wait until 18 before you try it, otherwise your mom will freak (But I guess you're already doing it and figured out how to leave no clues of it, clever you are)) If it's more of a personality charisma, go fund a new religion, in 2000 years from now, you will know Jesus's pain. (He SOOO proud of what his followers have accomplish)

19+ : anything beyond 18 turns natural beauty or leadership skills into godmode. Magic the gathering would qualify you a Legendary Mythic Rare creature in a blink of an eye. Whatever is the source of your charisma score, would it be magic, divine or demonic or just a venerable age modifier, it's beyond what the lame humans of modern no fantasy Earth can achieve. It's possible a few people in our history did achieve this level of charisma. Today we must only know them has myths or gods of ancient religions. This is the end game (almost)

Special addition My DM's arch villain is a female vampire with a charisma score of 48. When he told us this during our first meeting with her this little bit of info, I simply said to my teammates : 'Guys, our characters are now lawful evil slaves.' To which the DM replied : 'I'm glad we are in understanding'

To every minmaxer out there who underestimated the power of charisma, I pity your damned souls.

im not sure where you got this from, but that charisma table isnt applyable to 3rd edition, and not to 4th either for as far as i know, actually, charisma isnt about appearances at all, its about strenght of personality, about standing out in the crowd, both in negative and positive way, anything alive has a charisma score of 1 or more, a 0 isnt possible, and any playable character has a charisma of 3 or more minimum. if we follow the rules you pointed out, everone should fall in love with xykon...
you can be ugly asd hell and still have a huge charisma, while you could also be the most beautiful being alive and still be hated by half the world

Raphite1
2009-11-27, 02:05 PM
Women love short and murderous men. Charles Manson is elderly and imprisoned and is STILL popular with the ladies. It's the independent/violent/murderous characteristic that does it. Didn't you notice the huge internet buzz of women absolutely swooning over the nasty, greasy Joker after The Dark Knight was released?

Teddy
2009-11-27, 02:06 PM
im not sure where you got this from, but that charisma table isnt applyable to 3rd edition, and not to 4th either for as far as i know, actually, charisma isnt about appearances at all, its about strenght of personality, about standing out in the crowd, both in negative and positive way, anything alive has a charisma score of 1 or more, a 0 isnt possible, and any playable character has a charisma of 3 or more minimum. if we follow the rules you pointed out, everone should fall in love with xykon...
you can be ugly asd hell and still have a huge charisma, while you could also be the most beautiful being alive and still be hated by half the world

Dwarfs and Half-Orcs can get a 1 or 2 in Charisma, but no sentient being can have below 3 in intelligence.

FoE
2009-11-27, 02:08 PM
She's a bard. She has the same bard charter Elan has, only modified for her personality and/or gender.

Rogue/bard/sorceror, actually! Read Origin of PCs.

Adeptus
2009-11-27, 02:21 PM
Come on people, Belkar was channeling his barbarian side there. He is the conquering barbarian hero like Conan. Who could resist, and genre conventions say that the barbarian hero gets the girl.

Zanaril
2009-11-27, 02:38 PM

I wouldn't even say "hated" would mean low charisma. If your mere prescence can incur such a stong emotion from so many people, you have to have a pretty big personality.

Dark Faun
2009-11-27, 02:46 PM
I always figured Jenny kissed back for the same reason Belkar suddenly decided to become a pacifist when under Owl's Wisdom: rule of funny.

Well Belkar is kinda cute in a way...
Yeah, in a short, ugly, superfluous, "nature really does have a sense of humor!" kind of way. :smallwink:

Or maybe Belkar IS charismatic. I can't remember any specific indications of a low charisma score of his part.
Belkar is implied to have a low Charisma here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0312.html).

derfenrirwolv
2009-11-27, 03:08 PM
well, she's a rogue sorcerer bard, how high can her wisdom score possibly be?

Sewblon
2009-11-27, 04:03 PM
Belkar just having had above average charisma this entire time would explain why the rest of The Order keep tolerating him.
well, she's a rogue sorcerer bard, how high can her wisdom score possibly be? This also helps explain the seduction-in-two-panels.
if we follow the rules you pointed out, everyone should fall in love with Xykon...
Well Tsukiko did imply liking him, in that way, the first time she saw him, and she seems like a pretty good catch herself...

Demented
2009-11-27, 04:14 PM
Belkar is implied to have a low Charisma here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0312.html).

Is that low charisma or a Diplomacy (Piss Someone Off) check? :p

Sir_Elderberry
2009-11-27, 04:30 PM
Or maybe, the whole affair can't be explained in terms of game mechanics. There's more to emotion than CHA scores. Presumably plenty of 8 CHA members of D&D settings are married.

Lvl45DM!
2009-11-27, 05:51 PM
see here: Rape is love (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RapeIsLove)

Sewblon
2009-11-27, 06:08 PM
see here: Rape is love (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RapeIsLove)

So Belkar has the powers of Ayn Rand Characters?

Noble Savant
2009-11-27, 06:29 PM
Or maybe, the whole affair can't be explained in terms of game mechanics. There's more to emotion than CHA scores. Presumably plenty of 8 CHA members of D&D settings are married.

Vaarsuvius for example.

In first edition one could actually have a negative charisma score. Not only that but negative charisma scores were considered positive with regards to evil characters, (second edition is awesome like that.) I've always assumed something of this sort occurred here.

Thanatosia
2009-11-27, 06:52 PM
Belkar took the "Sexy Shoeless God of War" feat, wich grants many powers and abilities (most OP feat ever) that not only counteracts all his build suboptimizations, but grants him a powerful seductive aura to those who fall within certain perameters.

Alysar
2009-11-27, 07:50 PM
Circumstance bonus for being a total badass at the time.

I'm guessing it was more than just +2.

Scarlet Knight
2009-11-27, 08:14 PM
Jenny was fighting & was grappled before Belkar's kiss. Belkar then displayed why he is the SEXY, shoeless , god of war by the power of that kiss, leaving her panting for more.

:smallsmile:

Nimrod's Son
2009-11-27, 11:40 PM
Women love short and murderous men. Charles Manson is elderly and imprisoned and is STILL popular with the ladies. It's the independent/violent/murderous characteristic that does it.
While Manson is clearly a nutcase, to be fair to him he's also remarkably talented. His album (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lie:_The_Love_and_Terror_Cult) (which got a rather limited release, for unsurprising reasons) is actually rather excellent, and he's had his songs covered by the likes of the Beach Boys and Guns n' Roses. So there is more to his appeal than just violence. Just sayin'.

Plus, I imagine the tranquil look in his eyes (see picture in link) must be a luxuriant joy to gaze into. :smallamused:

Well Tsukiko did imply liking him, in that way, the first time she saw him, and she seems like a pretty good catch herself...
Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but "sleeps with corpses" is pretty near the top of my list of turn-offs.

Prowl
2009-11-28, 01:45 AM
Maybe he's just a really good kisser and/or she likes his phermones.

Either way, it appears that's the last we'll see of what's-her-name.

Kish
2009-11-28, 02:45 AM
Vaarsuvius for example.

In first edition one could actually have a negative charisma score.

I don't know if you mean "first edition" or if you're thinking of something like Unearthed Arcana, but Charisma going to 0 meant you died in 2ed core. (Enemies who drained it were rare, but not nonexistent.)

Iku Rex
2009-11-28, 03:59 AM
She's a pervy hobbit-fancier (http://www.ealasaid.com/misc/vsd/).

J.J.J-H-Schmidt
2009-11-28, 05:59 AM
it was just his time to shine my friends.

the only true way he could have come out of that funk of his was the way he did... attraction had nothing to do with it.

people arent attracted to the tornado that may sweep in and take them out of the proverbial kansas, but that doesnt mean they dont get caught up in said tornado

Herald Alberich
2009-11-28, 04:08 PM
So Belkar is a force of nature?

Nah, she was attracted, based on her line afterward and most especially on http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0622.html

Setra
2009-11-28, 04:44 PM
So Belkar is a force of nature?
Gods of War generally are :smalltongue:

Weimann
2009-11-28, 05:03 PM
He substituted a seduction check for an attack roll.

Where can I get me that feat?