PDA

View Full Version : Odd Leveled Party & XP 3.5 (My Peeps Don't Look)

FerhagoRosewood
2009-11-27, 05:50 AM
Welp, it happened. I had a party of four, all perfectly the same level. Sure there were a few bonuses of storyline XP or a deed that a character did that netted more XP but they all were the same level. Now with the death of one of my PCs, a new PC being made to replace that one, and the other PCs having played through three 'friendly' battles (before finding their fourth member) they have earned enough XP to level. Originally I wasn't going to give them the XP because they were never deathly encounters but mulling it over, I decided to give them half of what the encounters were worth.

Now I have a party of three 5th level characters and one 4th level one.

:smallfurious:

And upon my next session, one of the 5th level characters won't be there. So in a nutshell, how do I figure out XP for a party of two level 5s and one level 4? I know one of the groups suffers but I forget how it goes exactly.

Help would be much appreciated.

^o^

Eldariel
2009-11-27, 05:55 AM
Uh, count XP separately for the 4th and the 5th level ones and divide by the number of characters as per normal; all you need to do is instead of just figuring out the XP for 5th levels, you figure it out for both, 5th and 4th levels and then divide both numbers by the number of players and give the 4th level character the 4th level XP and the 5th level characters the 5th level XP. Yes, this means the 4th level one will be catching up a bit; it's only good.

FerhagoRosewood
2009-11-27, 05:57 AM
Thanks.

^^

It's amazing how much I fail. I'm still shocked they allow me to DM.

>.>;

BobVosh
2009-11-27, 05:59 AM
Don't worry about it. It is more a head ache than it is worth. Or just give a small bump to the 4th levels exp.

Heliomance
2009-11-27, 06:16 AM
Or just forget about XP entirely and just level 'em as and when it seems appropriate.

MichielHagen
2009-11-27, 06:53 AM
Or just forget about XP entirely and just level 'em as and when it seems appropriate.

Your taking away a bit of the players fun then. At least, i enjoy hearing how much XP we earned that session.

BobVosh
2009-11-27, 07:01 AM
Your taking away a bit of the players fun then. At least, i enjoy hearing how much XP we earned that session.

Really? I never cared. In fact we actually just do the level when it feels good system and I have never looked back.

Duke of URL
2009-11-27, 07:06 AM
Even simpler, just use the d20 encounter calculator (http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20encountercalculator.htm).

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-27, 07:41 AM
I just make up some number for EXP.

Since my campaign isn't going to be particularly long, and my players like higher levels (and started at level 2!) I usually give them about a thousand.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-27, 04:16 PM

It's also a giant pain to work with if you're a crafter/caster. Either you end up removing xp costs entirely(which introduced fun balance issues with some spells), or you end up denying a portion of the game to the players.

Im not a huge fan, myself.