PDA

View Full Version : Using other's XP

MikelaC
2009-11-27, 08:13 AM
I know there is a variant rule out there somewhere about using someone elses XP to craft a magic item. The person "donating" the XP has to be willing and its usually the person for whom the item is being made that does so. It helps to keep the crafting mage at the same level as the rest of the party. But I cannot for the life of me find the reference for it. Can someone help me in this regard?

Acanous
2009-11-27, 08:48 AM
There's no variant rule. It's a tongue-in-cheek thing. Nowhere in the description for Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Ring, Craft Rod, Craft Staff, Scribe Scroll, Craft Golem, or Craft wonderous item does it say the crafting wizard must pay the XP himself, just that X ammount of XP is consumed (Where X= base cost in GP/25)

Some DM's rule that the crafting wizard has to pay from his own XP, some let crafting be a group project. Same thing goes for the requisite spells. You may or may not need to have them on your personal spellcasting list in order to craft an item, depending on DM.
I once had a Rogue who took item crafting feats and accessed the neccisary spells VIA scrolls.

So if you want to make crafting a little more fair to the wizard in question, just go with it being a directed team effort.

Really the only reasons for making it "Feat user only" is for flavour, to keep the mystique of magic item creation.

That, or the DM just really doesn't like players being able to make thier own loot. But really, With how long it takes, the XP requirement and having to pay 1/2 price anyhow, there's plenty of drawbacks to equalize the broad spectrum of possibility that open up to the player.

shadowmage
2009-11-27, 08:52 AM
No there are rules for it. I think it was the players guide 2? I can not remeber for sure where I saw it but there is a rule about it.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-27, 09:14 AM
Eberron Campaign Setting, IIRC.

zagan
2009-11-27, 09:30 AM
The rule exist but they're optional and not in a source book it's in an article on the WOTC site, the PHBII Web Enhancements. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060526a)
Hope that help.

Darcand
2009-11-27, 09:30 AM
I saw the same rule a while back. It was somewhere on the WotC site.

bosssmiley
2009-11-27, 09:37 AM
I know there is a variant rule out there somewhere about using someone elses XP to craft a magic item. The person "donating" the XP has to be willing and its usually the person for whom the item is being made that does so. It helps to keep the crafting mage at the same level as the rest of the party. But I cannot for the life of me find the reference for it. Can someone help me in this regard?

IIRC that's in the Item Creation section of the DMG.
The BOVD rules on using souls may be relevant here... (willing donor, hah!)