PDA

View Full Version : Psi/tob prc?

Emmerask
2009-11-27, 09:50 AM
Is there anywhere a psi/tome of battle prestige class in some dragon magazine or book? or even homebrew ?

Otherwise what would be a good build for a psionic who also wants to use maneuvers?

The only psi class I´m allowed is a wilder so any suggestions? is it even viable to mix with maneuvers? thx in advance for the help :smallsmile:

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-27, 09:52 AM
Wilder, probably not. There are fairly good Psywar melee builds that I could see dipping ToB, but not Wilder.

Fenix_of_Doom
2009-11-27, 10:00 AM
I don't think so, but you can use a ruby knight vindicator and replace the casting side with psionics, it would need heavy reflavouring though.

Samb
2009-11-27, 10:11 AM
Wilder with a dip into warblade or swordsage and then reflavor jade phenix Mage into advancing ML instead might be the way to go.

Warblade gves you acess to heavy armor, but most likily you will be metamorphing into something with crazy AC anyway so that might not be an issue. Either ToB class gives you martial weapon profiency which alders need if they wish to Gish.

Talya
2009-11-27, 10:14 AM
Warblade gves you acess to heavy armor

Medium, actually.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-27, 10:14 AM
Wilder with a dip into warblade or swordsage and then reflavor jade phenix Mage into advancing ML instead might be the way to go.

Warblade gves you acess to heavy armor, but most likily you will be metamorphing into something with crazy AC anyway so that might not be an issue. Either ToB class gives you martial weapon profiency which alders need if they wish to Gish.Crusader is better than Warblade for JPM, especially with the cha-synergy for Wilder.

Emmerask
2009-11-27, 10:21 AM
Sounds interesting I´ll ask my dm about reflavoring jade phoenix and ruby knight hopefully he will allow it, duno why there is not a psion prc for that in the first place :S

Xallace
2009-11-27, 10:21 AM
I hear Psion + Diamond Mind = Love, though I wouldn't be able to tell you why exactly.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-27, 10:22 AM
Sounds interesting I´ll ask my dm about reflavoring jade phoenix and ruby knight hopefully he will allow it, duno why there is not a psion prc for that in the first place :S

Probably because Tome of Battle outside of the book it was printed in is mostly non-existent.

As to why it wasn't in ToB, I can't answer that one.

But I'll tell you what, Swordsage/Some Psionic Class sounds like an interesting build...

Agent_0042
2009-11-27, 10:43 AM
I hear Psion + Diamond Mind = Love, though I wouldn't be able to tell you why exactly.
Among other things, expending psionic focus lets you take 15 on concentration checks. Diamond mind lets you substitute concentration checks for saving throws, attack rolls, damage rolls, etc., plus there's a feat that lets you regain focus after making a martial strike.

Nero24200
2009-11-27, 11:21 AM
I can't remember where, but I do recall seeing a sort of "Martial Archive" or some such which had a martilal soul-knife base class. Might not be what you're looking for, but it could give you ideas if you need to house-rule such a class.

Master_Rahl22
2009-11-27, 11:47 AM

Most likely because a Psion is going to have a really good Concentration check already for manifesting and becoming psionically focused. Then you can use stuff like Mind Over Body to supplement your weak Fort save, and Insightful Strike if you want to melee.

sonofzeal
2009-11-27, 12:41 PM
Deep Impact + Instant Clarity + a high number of strikes = win

Power Attack is optional but also recommended.

Eldariel
2009-11-27, 03:01 PM
None exist, unfortunately. However, you can combine the two systems to a decent degree thanks the ½ IL progression of martial adepts while taking non-adept classes, and Ardent's method of gaining powers combined with Practiced Manifester.

That said, there are lots of homebrew Psionic/Martial combos. I personally made The Ephemeral Blade (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5883542) for a sort of a time/space-themed Nomad/Warblade specifically (though it's accessible with other combinations of course; Expanded Knowledge and the rather easy Diamond Mind access see to that). I really like it, though it was made for a very specific character and thus isn't very generally usable (then again, same goes for Jade Phoenix Mage and Ruby Knight Vindicator, though Vindicator to lesser effect; it's quite refluffable).

ex cathedra
2009-11-27, 03:22 PM
It seems to me that you more-or-less have two options :
Refluffing/editting Jade Phoenix Mage for psionics.
Using Homebrew (Eldariel's, I think, really is quite nice).

Making a ToB/Psionic character is slightly easier, either by using the fun ardent power selection mechanic via practiced manifester, gestalting, or even refluffing/rewriting Tashalatora for Unarmed Swordsage/Manifester.

Kyrthain
2009-11-28, 07:20 AM
I seem to remember astralfire posted a pretty sweet soulknife fix, and it was a martial adept in addition to manifesting.