PDA

View Full Version : Help please - 4e striker

PurinaDragonCho
2009-11-27, 01:09 PM
I was invited to join a 4e game - I've played a few sessions of 4e at low levels. So, at 4e, I'm a complete n00b.

I'm looking for a 12th level 4e striker build. Nothing too cheesy, please. I don't want to be weak, but I don't want to have rocks fall on me either.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ceaon
2009-11-27, 01:14 PM
Elf Archer ranger. Simple, strikerish, and fun for at least a couple of sessions.
Put your high stats in dex and wis, get a nice bow and go to town.

The ranger is the 'easiest' striker, IMO. Even at level 12 you can't do much wrong with one. He'll perform admirably even if you don't really try to "optimize" at all.

For a good PP: just choose one of the archery PP's the ranger offers. Yes, it can be that easy.

Asbestos
2009-11-27, 01:28 PM
Well, if you know any other form of D&D the rogue isn't a bad choice either. Just get CA and start stabbing.

FoE
2009-11-27, 01:28 PM
There's no such thing as a truly bad build in 4E unless you set out to make a bad build (ie. putting Wisdom and Strength as your highest stats and then deciding to play an infernal warlock). Conversely, there are no really broken builds either; the difference between a really optimized PC and a relatively normal PC is a couple of pluses, although the gap does widen a bit in the Epic tier. Just pick a race and a class whose flavour you like the most and follow one of the build suggestions outlined in the PHB or PHB II.

What's really more important is group dynamics, so check with your other party members what they're playing before going to the table. If you don't care what you play, tailor your choice to fit with what everyone else has. If everyone's bringing a striker or a controller to the table, forget the striker and consider playing a leader like a cleric or a defender like a fighter. If your party needs a striker and consists of melee, arcane and primal PCs, consider playing an avenger, as your party could use some radiant damage if they run into undead. Similarly, while anyone can play the role of trap-finder, rogues are still the best at it and they qualify as one of the best strikers.

Or play what you want, but keep in mind my earlier advice.

Yakk
2009-11-27, 01:36 PM
Go with the elven ranger.

For magic items and feats, look for things that add to "+damage on a hit", and +to hit with as few conditions as possible (expertise, weapon focus, greatbow, bracers of archery).

For powers, pick things that let you attack out of turn, or extra times. Powers that have triggers and say "immediate" and give you an attack are great.

Buy your Dex up to 16 (then add +2 from elf), buy your Wisdom up to 14 (then add +2 from elf), and then spend your remaining stat points wherever you feel like. You can even buy more dex/wisdom if you want.

For equipment, you get a level 13, 12, and 11 item, plus cash equal to a level 11 item.

Spend the 12 or 13 item on some bow you find neat.

Then spend the remaining two items on a suit of hide or leather armor, and a neck item (cloak or amulet).

Now take that level 11 cash, buy bracers of archery (level 6), and spend the rest of the cash on anything you feel like.

If you are using the character builder, don't forget you can retrain a heroic-tier feat to a paragon-tier feat at level 11 and 12. (so you could have 4 paragon-tier feats, instead of just 2).

The above character won't break the game, but neither will they be unable to contribute. It would take effort for a non-striker to outdamage you regularly (it is doable, but not easy).

There are, of course, far more crazy things you can do. Some of them will be far more effective. But the above will generate a decent character.

Mr. Mud
2009-11-27, 01:40 PM
TWF Rangers can be fun, if Melee is you thing. I've got an under optimized one at level 11 that I'll post if you wish, but he's more oriented on plot, than power.

...Which is irrelevant to the thread, no?

Anyway, if not TWF Ranger, Elven Archers can never be bad :smallbiggrin:.

Guinea Anubis
2009-11-27, 02:03 PM
Another vote for an Elf Ranger (Archer) they are good all around. If you want to be a little different you can make a TWF ranger and multiclass in to rogue so you can have hunters mark and sneak attack damage.

Random NPC
2009-11-27, 02:10 PM
Elven Archer Ranger, but don't choose the Archer build.

Archers should always be Beastmasters, just don't spend powers that use your beast for damage. Beasts are there to give you bonuses and to make enemies provoke opportunity attacks.

Beast Protector, Distracting Companion combined with the Sharpshooter Paragon path is awesome. Beast Protector grants you an opportunity attack to those who attack your beast. Distracting companion give your quarry -2 to hit if your quarry is adjacent to your beast. Sharpshooter allows you to do opportunity attacks with your bow(normally, OA are melee). If you choose a beast companion that can move fast (like the wolf or the eagle), pretty much anything in the battlefield can be your Quarry, allowing you to attack at a distant at your leisure.

Yakk
2009-11-27, 02:22 PM
As a passive quarry, the Lizard is also tempting. The extra HP/AC and all, plus the bonus to hitting on OAs. And you can say it is a velociraptor. :)

Sinon
2009-11-27, 06:22 PM
I might say that, as long as you are only wishing to be effective ("I don't want to be weak, but I don't want to have rocks fall on me either."), then I would start this process by asking yourself what <i>kind</i> of striker you want to play.

The ranger (and rogue) advice is good, but only if you want to be a martial class, using regular weapons, bows, shuriken, daggers. (Which is totally cool. And the above is all great for that.)

But you can also be good as a spellcaster: warlock or sorcerer depending on your tastes.

Divine more your style? There’s the avenger.
Big badass with a giant weapon? There’s the primal barbarian.

One of the great things about 4e is that your role doesn’t shoehorn you into a starting place for thinking about your character.