PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Spontaneous use of metamagic memorized?

ken-do-nim
2009-11-27, 01:27 PM
Let's say a cleric takes a 3rd level spell and memorizes it as a 4th level spell by using silent spell or a similar +1 metamagic. Then the caster decides to convert that spell spontaneously into cure wounds. Does it convert into the level 3 cure serious wounds, or the level 4 cure critical wounds?

drengnikrafe
2009-11-27, 01:32 PM
I suspect (but could not prove by any means) that it would probably be cure critical wounds, because it does take up a 4th level spell slot. Keep in mind once more, though, that I have no real idea, and what other people say will almost invariable be more accurate.

Optimystik
2009-11-27, 01:43 PM
1) You can always fill a higher-level slot with a lower level spell in D&D. Metamagic is not required.

(NWN, sadly, doesn't do this.)

2) I would answer yes, the cure spell you spontaneously cast from a prepared spell depends only on the slot it was prepared in and not the actual spell level itself. The wording is ambiguous, but the Cure XYZ line is weak anyway, so no more nerfs are needed.

Aharon
2009-11-27, 02:14 PM
Rules as written, it would be converted to a level 3 cure serious wounds.
The relevant passages from the SRD:

The cleric can "lose" any prepared spell that is not a domain spell in order to cast any cure spell of the same spell level or lower (a cure spell is any spell with "cure" in its name).

and

Spells modified by a metamagic feat use a spell slot higher than normal. This does not change the level of the spell, so the DC for saving throws against it does not go up.

However, I would argue with your DM that the slot is what is important. If he says it isn't, threaten to use pearls of power (1) on empowered, twinned, repeated cure light wounds :smalltongue: