PDA

View Full Version : (3.5e) Dragons vs DM

Sliver
2009-11-28, 02:23 AM
There was a lot of dragon talk recently and I started thinking.. What if there was going to be an all dragon campaign?

Say everybody start as randomly generated dragons from a certain alignment (good or evil, depending on the campaign).. How can you give each player a random dragon and it will still be the same power level? By age category (was thinking maybe young adults?)? HD? CR?

Then we pretend that all the HD and LA is 0, while keeping the HD and all, and give the dragons 10 levels, maybe even gestalt. Cuz they are dragons and should be damn awesome. I was thinking that for the purpose of XP and leveling up, they should count as being level 10 characters, but maybe there is a better way?

Then we mutate them, and everybody take ninja as class, and we all sing Teenage Mutant Ninja Dragons.. Anyway.... What quests and campaign ideas can be in a dragon campaign? :smallbiggrin:

Gaelbert
2009-11-28, 02:27 AM
Dragon Magazine #331 has an article about playing an evil chromatic dragon. I assume Dragon #330 covers the good dragons.

Xefas
2009-11-28, 02:36 AM
No, see, in a Dragon campaign, you don't worry about 'balance'. Everyone picks a dragon of whatever color/type they want. Tell them they can be anywhere from Young Adult to Great Wyrm, and can tack on however many class levels they want from 1 to 20 on top of everything.

Then you collect all of their character sheets, look at who went bat**** insane with ECL 75 Great Wyrm Red Dragons, and take note of what you've learned about your players.

You then have them all play Xorvintaal with their dragon characters and their personal stats are never allowed to come into play by the rules of the game. All of their mental stats should be so high that no human could compare to them, so they have no restriction on how intelligent they can play their character (no holding back personal knowledge).

You then test their roleplaying, ability to manipulate social forces in the game world, and capacity for strategy. Possibly using the d20 Birthright mass combat rules if you like that sort of thing.

Their characters, by the rules of Xorvintaal, cannot be personally engaged, and thus cannot be killed. They can only lose value from their horde. So you don't have to worry about the mechanically inferior choices in character creation effecting the outcome of the game.

Yuki Akuma
2009-11-28, 06:33 AM
Buy a copy of the Draconomicon and hope the rules presented there actually work because I don't think anyone's ever used them before.

Cyanic
2009-11-28, 09:41 AM
I ran a dracomonicon game, all PC but one were dragons: red, green, blue, and battle (there is always one guy messsing it up), it was ummm not so good by the book but homebrewed some treasure hoard related age catagory stuff and the group was about a ECL 9 average.

Challenges are obviously alot different when everyone can fly and cast and whatnot, but its workable. I also gave them all an alternate humanoid form just to make things a bit easier on them.

Edwin
2009-11-28, 09:51 AM
I ran a dracomonicon game, all PC but one were dragons: red, green, blue, and battle (there is always one guy messsing it up), it was ummm not so good by the book but homebrewed some treasure hoard related age catagory stuff and the group was about a ECL 9 average.

Challenges are obviously alot different when everyone can fly and cast and whatnot, but its workable. I also gave them all an alternate humanoid form just to make things a bit easier on them.

I wish you were my DM.

Playing a dragon is my greatest wish.. The only DM who ever allowed me to didn't pick me for the game, as it was PbP, and I had to do it through a monster class.

Looking over the sheet now still makes me drool.