PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Styles [WoD]

Ponce
2009-11-28, 02:46 AM
Hi all

I'm curious about the Fighting Styles used in WoD. What are the default rules when using them, and what rules do you, personally use? From what I understand, you can make use/gain the benefits of all fighting styles you are trained in. Is there a limit to how many styles you can take on? If would you place such a limit if one is not already in place?

Additionally, is there a list of all published fighting styles with book/page references? If not, would anyone be willing to point out where they can be found? I know there are three in "World of Darkness" (WW55002). Boxing, Kung Fu, and Two-Weapon Fighting. Where can I find others?

As a note, I don't mean the material found in World of Darkness: Combat, which is sort of its own system... it is a bit strange. What I mean are the styles like the ones found in WW55002.

emptynight
2009-11-28, 01:45 PM
My understanding of the Fighting Style merits is that you gain all the passive benefits of all the styles you have (assuming that you are appropriately armed for that style), but you can only use one striking maneuver at a time.

There is no limit to the number of fighting styles you can learn, and I wouldn't put a limit on them either. The experience cost of the merits alone makes it hard to stock up on them too much.

As for other fighting styles, these are the ones I know about, arranged by the books they are in.

Armory:
Archery
Chain Weapons
Combat Marksmanship
Fencing/Kendo
Filipino Martial Arts
Sniping
Spetsnaz Knife Fighting
Staff Fighting

Armory Reloaded:
Aggressive Striking (Generic Offensive Boxing/Kung Fu)
Aikido
Evasive Striking (Generic Defensives Boxing/Kung Fu)
Grappling
Iaido
Judo
Krav Maga
Langschwert
Muay Thai
Qinna
Shurikenjutsu
Sojutsu/Jukendo
Sword and Shield

Carthians
Swarm Tactics

Dogs of War
MAC

Midnight Roads
Improvised Weaponry

Night Horrors: Grim Fears
Social Maneuvers

Night Horrors: Wicked Dead
Swarm

Pandora's Book
Multi-Limbed Combat

Requiem for Rome
Formation Tactics
Gladatorial

Rites of Spring
Dream Combat
Hedge Duelist

Slasher
Frenzied Assault

Strange Alchemies
Brute Force

Tales from the 13th Precinct
Police Tactics

The Man Himself: Count Dracula! (http://www.gametrademagazine.com/public/default.asp?t=1&m=1&c=58&s=591&ai=87912&ssd=)
Dirty Fighting

Ponce
2009-11-29, 02:56 PM
Awesome. That's exactly what I needed, thanks a whole lot!

Your interpretation of how styles work seems reasonable - how would you define a "passive" benefit? For some it seems obvious (like Iron Body from the Kung Fu style) but others seem borderline.