PDA

View Full Version : My Homebrew Monsters

Schylerwalker
2009-11-28, 07:32 PM
I will periodically post some of my homebrewed creature creations. What I ask of you, opinionated Playgrounders, is your honest feedback. Do you think their CR's are appropriate? Any mistakes that you can see? Etcetera. I will post maybe one or two monsters a week.

Or if I get bored. :smallamused:

Warrior Servitor of Hell
Size/Type: Large Outsider (Chaos, Evil, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 13d8+104 (162 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 27 (-1 size, +4 Dex, +14 natural), flatfooted 23, touch 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +13/+23
Attack: Claw +18 melee (2d4+6)
Full Attack: 4 claws +18 melee (2d4+6) plus bite +18 melee (2d6+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities (At will - major image, plane shift (Self plus 50 pounds only), teleport (Self plus 50 pounds only). 3/day - bull's strength, charm monster, fear, fly, haste, invisibility, see invisibility. 1/day - bestow curse, crushing despair, dominate person, improved invisibility (Self only), mass bear's endurance, mass suggestion)
Special Qualities: Change shape, damage reduction 10/cold iron and good, frightful presence (DC 21), immune to fire, resistance 10 to acid, cold, and electricity, spell resistance 24
Saves: Fort +16, Ref +12, Will +12
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 18, Con 26, Int 17, Wis 18, Cha 21
Skills: Bluff +21, Concentration +20, Diplomacy +25, Disguise +31, Intimidate +25, Knowledge (arcana) +19, Knowledge (religion) +19, Knowledge (the planes) +19, Sense Motive +20, Spellcraft +15
Feats: Cleave, Improved Initiative, Improved Multiattack, Multiattack, Power Attack
Environment: The Burning Hells
Organization: Solitary, pair, gang (3-6 plus 1 hezrou), troop (10-24 plus 1 marilith) or battallion (30-60 plus 1 balor)
Challenge Rating: 11
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Treasure: Double standard
Advancement: 13-19 HD (Large); 20-30 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: -

Snorting, howling, and cackling madly, this fleshy collection of scaly arms, legs, tails, and tentacles hobbles towards you with frightening, lazy speed. A dozen clawed mouths, maws, and beaks snap and twist in mocking parodies of hideous smiles as they tell you the various ways they will flay you alive.

The Warrior Servitors of Hell were once great Knights and Dukes of the Lower Realms. Fearsome in battle and possessing a vast array of spell-like abilities, they were able to easily thrash anything in their paths. However, the rise of the tan'ari saw them displaced, and now these powerful demons serve as assassins, generals, and occasionally shock troops for the Lords of Hell.

Combat

While highly intelligent and capable of forming complex strategies, Servitors are unimaginative. Their main tactic when fighting in groups is to teleport in, invisibly, and full attack opponents until they fall over. If fighting a group of well-prepared, powerful foes, they will use their impressive array of debilitating spells and charms to sow discord and confusion before moving in for the kill. They will rely on their natural resistances to protect them while they maul their way through a force's front lines.

Debihuman
2009-11-30, 12:31 PM
Technically, Hell is Lawfully aligned if you are using the standard D&D cosmology.

I suspect that you mean for these to be Demons and not Devils as you mention other demons with them, hezrou for example.

Debby

Schylerwalker
2009-12-01, 08:36 AM
I mean Hell in the more Dante sense. :smallamused:

I never really got D&D insistence with dividing Demons and Devils. Or at least, if you're gonna divide it up into lawful evil and chaotic evil...give the lawful evil guys and their domiciles new names, seriously.

Debihuman
2009-12-01, 09:47 AM
In Dante's Inferno, Hell is a rather orderly place with the punishment befitting the sin. The circles start with Limbo (for the unbaptized and virtuous pagans) and progress through the sins representing self-indulgence (lust, gluttony, avarace, wrath and sloth), then heresy, violence and fraud and eventually treason. Even every punishment befits the crime. Dante even has Minos (from Greek mythology) as the one who sentences the condemned.

Moreover, D&D has distinguished the lawful devils from the chaotic demons using names familiar to a variety of mythologies since 1977, when Asmodeus first appeared in the Monster Manual for AD&D. The hostility between the two factions gained prominence with the Blood War backdrop to 2nd edition and the Planescape setting in 1994. It made for a grander landscape when dealing with the outer planes. With the advent of 3rd edition, the Blood War stopped being a focus. However, the lawful-chaotic dichotomy still reverberates in the D&D cosmology where demons and devils are concerned.

That said, I agree that mixing things up can be more fun than going with a more traditional route. It's a matter of getting there. I think your idea of having the Warriors of Hell [perhaps from Hell might be more accurate] be ideologically opposed to their stronger masters gives it some weight. It's just hard to see how it got there from what little you have writtten. Just how does a devil from Hell wind up serving the demons of the Abyss?

Debby