PDA

View Full Version : The four yorkshiremen

Fortuna
2009-11-28, 11:45 PM
Has anyone ever done an adaptation of the four yorkshiremen sketch for D&D? I can just about see it in my mind, but has anyone ever actually done it?

Mongoose87
2009-11-28, 11:46 PM
How exactly would one do it? It's a sketch, it's not particularly interactive.

Myshlaevsky
2009-11-28, 11:51 PM
How exactly would one do it? It's a sketch, it's not particularly interactive.

In my day we dreamed of having as much interactivity as a sketch in our D&D games. When we were allowed to sleep and dream that was, instead of being forced to spend the night fighting housecats. Down at the mill. And the mine. While dead.

Fortuna
2009-11-28, 11:54 PM
As in, a parody based on D&D, not actually doing it in a session.

Mongoose87
2009-11-28, 11:54 PM
In my day we dreamed of having as much interactivity as a sketch in our D&D games. When we were allowed to sleep and dream that was, instead of being forced to spend the night fighting housecats. Down at the mill. And the mine. While dead.

Furry housecats?

As in, a parody based on D&D, not actually doing it in a session.

I misunderstood.

Katana_Geldar
2009-11-28, 11:57 PM

Luxury! My DM forced us to fight off a pack of dragons with hairbrushes which we had to traipse up a huge mountain that took us three weeks of gaming to get to! :smallbiggrin:

Random832
2009-11-28, 11:58 PM
You had hairbrushes?

arguskos
2009-11-28, 11:58 PM
Luxury! My DM forced us to fight off a pack of dragons with hairbrushes which we had to traipse up a huge mountain that took us three weeks of gaming to get to! :smallbiggrin:
Uphill both ways! Barefoot! In the snow! GET OFF MY LAWN YOU DAMN KIDS!!! /shakescane :smallcool:

Fortuna
2009-11-29, 12:03 AM
This is looking like turning into what I'm looking for, right here on the forums! Perhaps I should move it over to the silly message board games.

Ravens_cry
2009-11-29, 12:08 AM
Uphill both ways! Barefoot! In the snow! GET OFF MY LAWN YOU DAMN KIDS!!! /shakescane :smallcool:
Sheer luxury. We had to take off our feet, and walk through the frozen atmosphere on our stumps, so as to not ruin them. Breathing was for softies.

Katana_Geldar
2009-11-29, 12:14 AM
Sheer luxury. We had to take off our feet, and walk through the frozen atmosphere on our stumps, so as to not ruin them. Breathing was for softies.

But of course, we had it tough! We had a +5 circumstance bonus all the way up the mountain to be attacked by rust monsters.

DementedFellow
2009-11-29, 12:23 AM
But of course, we had it tough! We had a +5 circumstance bonus all the way up the mountain to be attacked by rust monsters.

Rust monsters! We would have been lucky to have been attacked by rust monsters. Every day, between 8:03 and 8:05 am, we would be accosted by awakened animals with class levels. The motley crew was made up of an awakened dire elephant rogue, an awakened lemur sorcerer and a small gnome on a pony licking a flaming banjo.

And we were grateful for it!

Katana_Geldar
2009-11-29, 12:28 AM
Awakened with class levels? We used to dream of being attacked by those! Would have been a walk in the park for us!

After those rust monsters we'd be beset by seveal tarrasques, and we'd have to pay them for permission to attack them if we were lucky!

Ravens_cry
2009-11-29, 12:37 AM
Awakened with class levels? We used to dream of being attacked by those! Would have been a walk in the park for us!

After those rust monsters we'd be beset by seveal tarrasques, and we'd have to pay them for permission to attack them if we were lucky!
Terrasques were what we ate for breakfast, or rather, what our father ate for breakfast. After fighting multiples of the beasties, we would sit around, hoping to gain some nourishment from our dear ol' dads flatus.
We used to have to fight Pun-Pun and Nut-Nut as level 1 commoners, with unarmed strikes, without improved unarmed strike. But we were happy.

BobVosh
2009-11-29, 12:40 AM

Rust monsters wanted to attack you? In my day we had no fancy metal items, everything was made of bone and leather. The only bone and leather was from your dead friends and/or family. So you literally went into combat with your family riding your back! Only a couple Tarrasques? I once fought a swarm of Radiant Dragons while only armed with a ten foot pole. At least 20 of the beasties!

Katana_Geldar
2009-11-29, 12:44 AM
Right, I had to go down to the dungeon at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, and put my head inside a Sphere of Annihilation. Then we had to fight our way through seventeen demilich and fill the treasure chests up with gold for permission to enter the place. And when we got out of there, the DM would kill us, making rocks fall from an uncloaded sky and then dance on our corpses singing alleuia!

Wings of Peace
2009-11-29, 12:53 AM
Rust monsters wanted to attack you? In my day we had no fancy metal items, everything was made of bone and leather. The only bone and leather was from your dead friends and/or family. So you literally went into combat with your family riding your back! Only a couple Tarrasques? I once fought a swarm of Radiant Dragons while only armed with a ten foot pole. At least 20 of the beasties!

WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN SO LUCKY! We didn't have family members back in my day! And we didn't have no dragons either! We were back at the dawn of the universe before class features even existed when all there was to fight was the pantheon but we liked it that way!

DementedFellow
2009-11-29, 12:59 AM
No class features you say? You think you had it bad? Back in my day we used to be ideas dancing around the meandering mind of a bored math student. We were only given part of a personality and if were lucky we got to be a scribble on the edge of a pop quiz. But we didn't complain!

JonestheSpy
2009-11-29, 01:33 AM
We were only given part of a personality and if were lucky we got to be a scribble on the edge of a pop quiz.

And that's how I met your mother!

golentan
2009-11-29, 01:40 AM
You all had it easy. Rust monsters are only bad if you get weapons. Or armor. I should be so lucky. And we never had a DM, so we had to program a series of random tables that simply threw encounters at us. And I'm not talking your fancy desktops or graphing calculators, I'm talking the days of taped computers. We had to break into the university computer center and program it with a magnetized pin and a steady hand. And then it invented infinite loops to throw at us as monsters. You think pun-pun is bad? He was peanuts compared to what the computer decided would replace goblins. Don't even ask what replaced Orcs, it would make epic wizards cower in fear. Then it became sentient, and tried to take over the world. Fortunately, I got wealthy selling the story rights as the first two terminator movies. Now I stay away from computers. I sent this through a friend by a telegraph.

SurlySeraph
2009-11-29, 02:10 AM
Terrasques were what we ate for breakfast, or rather, what our father ate for breakfast. After fighting multiples of the beasties, we would sit around, hoping to gain some nourishment from our dear ol' dads flatus.
We used to have to fight Pun-Pun and Nut-Nut as level 1 commoners, with unarmed strikes, without improved unarmed strike. But we were happy.

Oh, we would have given anything to have unarmed strikes. We always played as paraplegic limbless beggars fighting Pun-Pun and his hordes of mind-controlled Tippy Wizard shock troops. We always had to play the DM's favorite homebrew class, with 0 BAB, 0 saves, d-4 HD. Yes, negative hit dice. You started at -1 HP if you were lucky. Our stats were six d4s rolled in order, no rerolls. And we were grateful!

Kyrthain
2009-11-29, 09:06 AM
D4's! Luxury! We had to use -46 point buy! And we had -D12 Hitdice, and our DM enforced the max hp at first rule! You were lucky! This is fun!

Melamoto
2009-11-29, 09:26 AM
This reminds me of a certain OotS strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0218.html)...

Dogmantra
2009-11-29, 09:38 AM
Back in my day, everyone was a monk, or if we were really lucky, a truenamer!

Ravens_cry
2009-11-29, 10:27 AM
D4's! Luxury! We had to use -46 point buy! And we had -D12 Hitdice, and our DM enforced the max hp at first rule! You were lucky! This is fun!
At least you had dice. Everything in my day was DM fiat.
Fiat, fiat fiat! Back then when we said you were railroaded, it meant you were tied to the tracks,bound and gagged, and drawn and quartered, that you were.
Dice, we would have been in paradise, we would.

Melamoto
2009-11-29, 10:45 AM
Back in my day, everyone was a monk, or if we were really lucky, a truenamer!

Obligatory reference to the Monk Truenaming PrC?

Ladorak
2009-11-29, 07:38 PM
At least you had dice. Everything in my day was DM fiat.

Back in my day we'd have killed for DM fiat, all we had was DM Trabant, and we had to make it ourself out of snow, spit and wishes.

Grynning
2009-11-30, 01:06 AM
Back in my day we'd have killed for DM fiat, all we had was DM Trabant, and we had to make it ourself out of snow, spit and wishes.

That...was a terrible pun...

http://www.icanhasmotivation.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/ichmfacepalm.jpg