PDA

View Full Version : No spice withdrawl?

Katana_Geldar
2009-11-29, 12:34 AM
Seeming as all the spice...came out of Belkar, he isn't feeling any ill-effects from it's lack.

DBJack
2009-11-29, 12:40 AM
Besides comparing his 'absence' as being similar to a visit with an efreet proctologist?:smallsmile:

It seems that the way Durkon was concerned about whether all of it was out of his system indicates that maybe Durkon has some kind of laxative spell, and since it got out of Belkar's system so fast it didn't have time to affect him

Thanatosia
2009-11-29, 12:41 AM
Seeming as all the spice...came out of Belkar, he isn't feeling any ill-effects from it's lack.
I'd probaby classify "ass feels like i've been to an Effeet Proctologist" as an ill effect.

Katana_Geldar
2009-11-29, 12:45 AM
I thought he was referring to a bowel movement that made the spice leave his body.

Liwen
2009-11-29, 12:52 AM
It's quite simple really, OotS doesn't wants to become a permanent Dune spin off, so all of those who have read Dune ( I haven't :smallamused:) won't be able to have discussions I can't follow anymore :smallbiggrin:.

The 'Dune jokes sub arc' is now officially terminated.

Dvandemon
2009-11-29, 12:53 AM
It might be a delayed effect. I know its not the same but it usually takes a day for me to get caffiene withdrawal. Also he could be making good wills saves and it just wasn't mentioned. Or it could have just been a throw-away gag that Rich used in his reference to Dune

Nimrod's Son
2009-11-29, 01:11 AM
It was never stated anywhere that Belkar's spice was melange. It's a Dune reference, not a Dune sequel. :smallwink:

Herald Alberich
2009-11-29, 02:20 AM
And yet so many people were absolutely sure it had to be more than what it was: a worm-attracting, eye-color-changing, fourth-wall-breaking, orgasmically-delicious seasoning.

... hmm, ok, given that list, I can see why more powers were ascribed to it after all. That's a random collection of traits all by itself.

Mewtarthio
2009-11-29, 02:34 AM
Now that I think about it, would "real" melange have had that effect on the sandworm? Wasn't the human-edible spice a highly refined form of the drug, while the sandworms ate it "raw" (and concentrated strongly enough to kill most people)? It's been a while since I've read Dune.

hamishspence
2009-11-29, 05:38 AM
I'm not sure how canonical it is- but I think the pre-spice mass is, in fact, a sandworm nest- the mother leaves it, the babies (sandtrout) trap water- there is a reaction and the nest explodes, killing most of the sandtrout (and producing the material that when exposed to the sun, turns into spice. )

A few survive to metamorphose into sandworms.

Once the blow has taken place and the baby sandworms have fled, the adult returns and consumes the spice. Harvesters have this short time between spice-blow and returning worm to grab it. And since harvesting rapidly attracts the worm, they have to get it quickly, while they are there.

As far as I know, human-edible space isn't refined that much from the raw stuff- and the spice from the spice blow, taken straight as it is, doesn't have spectacular instant-overdose effects, unless a lot is taken.

Manicotti
2009-11-29, 06:35 AM
Did anyone else take Belkar's opening line as a veiled comment from Rich as to how he feels in the aftermath of whatever health issues he may have had IRL? :P

Boogastreehouse
2009-11-29, 07:13 AM
10GP says that the above comment gets scrubbed...

Katana_Geldar
2009-11-29, 07:37 AM
Did anyone else take Belkar's opening line as a veiled comment from Rich as to how he feels in the aftermath of whatever health issues he may have had IRL? :P

No, but now that you mention it...

Let's not go into that though.

Le Piaf
2009-11-29, 07:44 AM
Did anyone else take Belkar's opening line as a veiled comment from Rich as to how he feels about constant discussion about his health on this forums?