PDA

View Full Version : A Campaign Idea

ObsidianRose
2009-11-29, 03:33 AM
I haven't run a game in forever, haven't made a post in forever, so bear with me. An idea clicked a while back and I wanna take it up.

Picture this: an adventure in which the players begin as low level, good aligned adventurers who have lived normal lives until now. They go on their quests and all that fun stuff, fighting evil for a little while. However, along the way, they encounter occasional resistance from good clerics and other adventurers, aasimars, and they register on the detct evil of most paladins. These adventurers continue on, uncovering conspiracy and dogma.

They realize that the monotheistic world that they live in is rife with corruption at its highest levels and they eventually seek to overthrow it. Eventually, they begin fighting angels and such, and hop a portal to challenge heaven. There, they find out that they were originally high ranking angels who sought to overthrow the current god, who is exposed as a tyrant. They fight their way through heaven to dethrone this god forever.

Mayhaps?

Zincorium
2009-11-29, 05:09 AM
A good rule of thumb to make the game easier to DM: Never predicate an entire storyline on players deciding something in a specific manner. You can railroad blatantly and keep the storyline intact, but this can end badly (like, 'no one will game with you again' badly).

I think this is a good game idea so long as you allow the players the freedom they expect (find out what exactly their expectations are) and you're not stepping on anyone's toes religiously (metaphor isn't always intentional). Most gaming groups are used to seeing the 'good' team always on their side and a *gradual* change to being antagonists would be rather refreshing.

Also, if you're not basing this off the Philip Pullman series His Dark Materials, it would be a good place to go for ideas and inspiration, in addition to being excellent reads.

AgentPaper
2009-11-29, 05:31 AM
That's one way it could turn out, and maybe even the most likely one, but don't assume your players will follow it. That's not to say you shouldn't lead the proverbial horse to the proverbial water, but don't be surprised if the proverbial horse decides it'd rather try and carry the proverbial water into a proverbial desert and sell it instead of drink it. :smallwink:

Not that you can really plan for that, just don't plan too far ahead with your expected route. I'd suggest keeping what you've written in mind, and then just go to work statting out the leader of a local church and his minions, or whatever you decide is going to be the initial opposition for the party.

Grumman
2009-11-29, 06:10 AM
If it was me, I'd consider the bait-and-switch characters a no-go. If I've gone to the trouble of creating a character, I don't want the DM completely rewriting my character's background and using the character's new prior actions to force me to do what he wants.

arguskos
2009-11-29, 06:15 AM
If it was me, I'd consider the bait-and-switch characters a no-go. If I've gone to the trouble of creating a character, I don't want the DM completely rewriting my character's background and using the character's new prior actions to force me to do what he wants.
Actually, there's a way it could work out in both your and his favor. Consider the idea that, as outsiders, their "essence" could work very differently. Perhaps, instead of dying, the souls of those angels traveled into the mortal realm and reincarnated themselves as normal mortals, sacrificing themselves to save their plan, and to potentially save all humanity. Nothing about your character is false, that's who they are, who they've always been. However, in a past life, they were these revolutionary angels. They have the memories of the angels now. What they do is up to them.

Could be fun, if mildly cliched.

BobVosh
2009-11-29, 06:28 AM
Actually, there's a way it could work out in both your and his favor. Consider the idea that, as outsiders, their "essence" could work very differently. Perhaps, instead of dying, the souls of those angels traveled into the mortal realm and reincarnated themselves as normal mortals, sacrificing themselves to save their plan, and to potentially save all humanity. Nothing about your character is false, that's who they are, who they've always been. However, in a past life, they were these revolutionary angels. They have the memories of the angels now. What they do is up to them.

Could be fun, if mildly cliched.

Probably the best way to do it. Also I recommend a mild powerup when they realize what they were. Some form of "remembering what they were capable of" sort of thing.

Also for a plot point like this, screw the rule of 3. You should have at least 10 points showing this is definitely it. More over you need to show that the BBEG is fallible. I try to avoid fighting gods on my characters below level 30. Especially once they past DR 5 I believe.